Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
GreenGrowTheDollars

Re: Paid Off Mortgage Today

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

It will keep feeling better and better. Nice job!
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Congratulations! We paid ours off a couple of years ago. It’s a great feeling! :beer
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Congrats on 100% debt free! That's awesome.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Kuota Rider wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 am Paid off my mortgage today so I just wanted to send a shout out to everyone for the continued education and encouragement over the years. 100% debt free.

Happy weekend.
Congrats! :sharebeer Now take your monthly mortgage payment and redirect it to your taxable FIRE account. Let's hear your DEBT FREE scream! :)

P.S. Don't tell anyone outside of this forum, for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Yee-haaaaaaa!!!
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 pm
Casey Ryback wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm Just hit 1,000,000 net worth last month. I’m 33 and my wife is 31. One goal is to increase my taxable account, as most of my assets are in 401ks, IRAs, and 529s. The other goal is to hit 2,000,000 by 40. I owe a lot to this group.
That is amazing!
By age 33!
Wow :shock:
Congratulations :sharebeer
How did you do it?

j
I'm guessing he took his pans out of the oven to avoid getting burned. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Oh hell yeah. Nicely done. The foundation feeling you have today, minus the high, will stay with you moving forward. Forever. Congratulations, you deserve it.
JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding »

Logged in just to say congrats! That is such an awesome achievement way to go!

:sharebeer. :mrgreen:
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon May 27, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grettman

Post by grettman »

Congratulations!!!!! I am going through the process now....I will have it paid off in about 4 years but progress is like watching paint dry!
:sharebeer
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

👍🏿 Way to go
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Kuota Rider's thread into here.

Congrats! 🎉
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

IMHO the best thing about the Boglehead forum is people are genuinely happy when they hear these announcements. It shows everyone here that we can all get there over time! Keep them coming there is enough virtual beer shares to go around!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

I became a real Boglehead today by selling the last of my company stock, and immediately investing it at my AA as soon as humanly possible, without any thought to the market conditions.

While I wish I discovered saving/investing sooner, at 26 years old and with ~$75K liquid/invested, I am pretty happy to have gained all this knowledge and gotten on track. Budget is also nice and tightened up and I am setup to max my 401k/Roth + $10K+ taxable yearly.

I'm keeping the German car though :). The next one can be more Bogle-friendly.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Fully contributed and invested the husband's 2018 Roth last month and then earned $2.16 in interest on May 1. Put in an order to buy $2.16 of our TSM (total stock market) fund.
Krischi

Crossed $250,000 for first time

Post by Krischi »

We just crossed $250,000 in investments for the first time yesterday. :sharebeer

The contribution of this forum has been invaluable. When I joined in December 2014, we had just $42k in invested assets to our name, and a wife who wasn’t fully on board re the need for retirement planning. Now she is all in, we have made big strides, and we are on a good path. A big thank you to everyone here!
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Congrats Krischi :sharebeer :moneybag
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

Hit $500,000 Net Worth today. Wife and I are 33 years old, wife stays at home full time since 2 years ago.

I want to encourage other Bogleheads who don't have high paying jobs (I only cracked 6 figures since 2 years ago and only when I figure in my company's retirement sharing plan, base salary is still 5 figures).

Breakdown is:

Stocks/bonds: 325,000
Cash/Savings: 44,000
Home/Rental Equity: $131,000
Investing.Newbie

coupleofcents wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 am Hit $500,000 Net Worth today. Wife and I are 33 years old, wife stays at home full time since 2 years ago.

I want to encourage other Bogleheads who don't have high paying jobs (I only cracked 6 figures since 2 years ago and only when I figure in my company's retirement sharing plan, base salary is still 5 figures).

Breakdown is:

Stocks/bonds: 325,000
Cash/Savings: 44,000
Home/Rental Equity: $131,000
Congrats coupleofcents :sharebeer That's great ! guys like you are always an encouragement to me. Can you share more details like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

Can you share more details like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
I've done about 40K in savings per year for the last few years. We didn't start aggressively saving until about 2012 were we have always saved 20K or more per year. Before 2012 we had some years of no savings, and some years of 5-10K. But we paid off all student loans 2 years after graduating in 2007.

We also got lucky/strategic and made about $180K in 2015 on on first home by selling after 3 years and moving to a lower cost state. And then the bull market has really helped too.

Just keep at it and eventually you'll see the results:)
Investing.Newbie

coupleofcents wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm
Can you share more details like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
I've done about 40K in savings per year for the last few years. We didn't start aggressively saving until about 2012 were we have always saved 20K or more per year. Before 2012 we had some years of no savings, and some years of 5-10K. But we paid off all student loans 2 years after graduating in 2007.

We also got lucky/strategic and made about $180K in 2015 on on first home by selling after 3 years and moving to a lower cost state. And then the bull market has really helped too.

Just keep at it and eventually you'll see the results:)
Thanks for the info. Good advice :happy
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

Accrual wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

Keep up the good work Accrual!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Accrual wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

That is a pretty darn good start for someone of your age! I can honestly say I didn't have a $100K retirement account at age 27.

Continue what you are doing! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
vickyychen

Post by vickyychen »

deleted
Last edited by vickyychen on Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investing.Newbie

That's great Accural :sharebeer Rule of 72 should also help you out nicely :D
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Looks as if the Trinity studies and SWRs are working, so far.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Investing.Newbie

onthecusp wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
Great job onthecusp :sharebeer can you share some insights like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:50 pm

That is a pretty darn good start for someone of your age! I can honestly say I didn't have a $100K retirement account at age 27.

Continue what you are doing! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Broken Man 1999
Yeah for sure. Please check back in regularly and let us know how you are doing. Keep it steady and you will be back with a two comma post before you know.
bligh

Post by bligh »

RadAudit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Nice! You picked a great time to retire.. right at the start of a bull run. :sharebeer
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

bligh wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm
RadAudit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Nice! You picked a great time to retire.. right at the start of a bull run. :sharebeer

Thanks. I wish I could claim that I knew that in advance. But, no such luck or insight. I just figured I had enough money and it was time to go.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm
onthecusp wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
Great job onthecusp :sharebeer can you share some insights like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
Thanks Newbie, I appreciate it. My story is not very Bogleheadish until recently. As I contemplate retirement within a year or so it is not the super early retirement I contemplated years ago. Consistent employment and aggressive savings are my "secrets". I would have been much better off had I added low cost index investing much earlier. I'm counting on that secret to make retirement income less of a mystery than it seemed to be before. The recent run up has helped a bunch as well.

Plus side:
Started 401k saving shortly out of college. Only been out of that mode for short periods in job transitions. Moved to max contributions after about 5 years.
Got debt under control in my 40s and 50s. It was never crazy high, but never was comfortable. Only have a mortgage now.
Been fairly consistently employed and made modest moves up by a combination of trying out supervision/management but ultimately through specialization. Been very aggressively saving (adding after tax saving) for less than 10 years.
Now I'm super aggressive in saving and along with good company contributions we are saving around half of total compensation in accounts other than emergency funds.
Consolidated accounts with Fidelity and put my core assets in low cost index funds. Started buying bond funds!

Minus side (I've made many mistakes until about 10 years ago and didn't really understand / embrace Boglehead investing until about 3 years ago):
I seem to recall my early investments being mostly money market or managed growth funds.
Took a 401k loan for debt consolidation, maybe not such a big penalty as my investments were poor.
Allowed student loan and car purchase debt to spiral up when the kids were in HS and through college.
Took a pension plan cash out, put it in an IRA and traded most of it away with bad strategy, concentration in sure thing etc.
Took similar losses with a 401k brokerage account.
Last job's 401k was with Ameriprise. I ignored it (as a mental compensation for my poor trading experiences) other than funding it so at least my contributions survived. There was not good growth until the move to Fidelity / Index funds.
Owned 3 boats, now they are gone. Only the first was good value as I lived on a lake at the time and could use it a lot.
I'm still over invested in company stock obtained through ownership plans and company contributions.

In edit, just wanted to add that investing is a life long process with ups and downs. Nothing is guaranteed or forever and all sorts of setbacks can be overcome or compensated for with changing expectations.
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

My wife and I hit $200,000 in investments this week at 26(Him)/27(Her).
No debt, but also renting, so will have to cool off retirement savings a bit to get a house down payment fund started to get the 20% down to avoid PMI.
Kimota

Post by Kimota »

From 'Ameriprise Anger" to 500k

Hey All -

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL. Just crested 500k this morning in my retirement funds + my EF. I was with Ameriprise for a long time and didn't really believe in investing b/c all I saw was little movement on my accounts. Then my company was acquired, and I have been getting a nice upside for the last 4 years in RSUs. When that money started rolling in, I had my Ameriprise FA invest it for me... and POOF!... a huge chunk of it was eaten up by fees. Nothing motivates more than anger, and thus I found this forum, this philosophy and this community.

When I switched everything to Vanguard, my Ameriprise FA told me they had fees too. That gave me a belly laugh. Now I have my IPS, my three funds, and my AA all working very well for me. I'm doing Backdoor Roths and I even started using my HSA last year as an additional savings vehicle. All of this is because of the resources found here.

So, let me say again: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

PS: I put a shortcut on my iPhone for this forum and whenever I feel the urge to waste time on Facebook etc., I go here and read, read, read. So this first post is a long time coming, but wanted to hit a good milestone first.

PPS: Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to hit the two comma club! :D

Onward!
Investing.Newbie

onthecusp wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:14 am
Investing.Newbie wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Thanks !
Thanks Newbie, I appreciate it. My story is not very Bogleheadish until recently. As I contemplate retirement within a year or so it is not the super early retirement I contemplated years ago. Consistent employment and aggressive savings are my "secrets". I would have been much better off had I added low cost index investing much earlier. I'm counting on that secret to make retirement income less of a mystery than it seemed to be before. The recent run up has helped a bunch as well.

Plus side:
Started 401k saving shortly out of college. Only been out of that mode for short periods in job transitions. Moved to max contributions after about 5 years.
Got debt under control in my 40s and 50s. It was never crazy high, but never was comfortable. Only have a mortgage now.
Been fairly consistently employed and made modest moves up by a combination of trying out supervision/management but ultimately through specialization. Been very aggressively saving (adding after tax saving) for less than 10 years.
Now I'm super aggressive in saving and along with good company contributions we are saving around half of total compensation in accounts other than emergency funds.
Consolidated accounts with Fidelity and put my core assets in low cost index funds. Started buying bond funds!

Minus side (I've made many mistakes until about 10 years ago and didn't really understand / embrace Boglehead investing until about 3 years ago):
I seem to recall my early investments being mostly money market or managed growth funds.
Took a 401k loan for debt consolidation, maybe not such a big penalty as my investments were poor.
Allowed student loan and car purchase debt to spiral up when the kids were in HS and through college.
Took a pension plan cash out, put it in an IRA and traded most of it away with bad strategy, concentration in sure thing etc.
Took similar losses with a 401k brokerage account.
Last job's 401k was with Ameriprise. I ignored it (as a mental compensation for my poor trading experiences) other than funding it so at least my contributions survived. There was not good growth until the move to Fidelity / Index funds.
Owned 3 boats, now they are gone. Only the first was good value as I lived on a lake at the time and could use it a lot.
I'm still over invested in company stock obtained through ownership plans and company contributions.

In edit, just wanted to add that investing is a life long process with ups and downs. Nothing is guaranteed or forever and all sorts of setbacks can be overcome or compensated for with changing expectations.
Thanks for sharing your experience onthecusp !
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

We just hit 10% of our retirement goal! I'm 34, but I've only been out of school for a year-and-a-half. Looking forward to the next 10% being easier than the first. :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

New member hsd has a question which I've moved into a new thread: [Net worth in retirement: How do you know when "enough is enough"?]

Sandtrap - You are mentioned in the post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am We just hit 10% of our retirement goal! I'm 34, but I've only been out of school for a year-and-a-half. Looking forward to the next 10% being easier than the first. :D
I like your handle!
Due to compounding, it should be. However, I do recall some big setbacks (2001, 2008) and having to regain lost ground when it didn't seem like the next X amount was easy. Just remember to stay the course during the tough times and to buy those assets on sale.

Congrats.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eer_no_evil

Post by eer_no_evil »

Good evening all,

I’ve followed this thread for several months and am very grateful and humbled to be able to add my own milestone. I just 500k networth- reflecting on the road, it’s been a crazy year; I negotiated a severance, started a new job, am re-learning how to be single, trying to prioritize time with friends and live a healthy lifestyle to attempt to age gracefully lol. It’s been a very interesting year- Cheers to what 31 has in store.

thanks to everyone for the questions, advice and musings- I’ve learned so much and the boglehead family keeps me motivated. On to the next one!
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

eer_no_evil wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm Good evening all,

I’ve followed this thread for several months and am very grateful and humbled to be able to add my own milestone. I just 500k networth- reflecting on the road, it’s been a crazy year; I negotiated a severance, started a new job, am re-learning how to be single, trying to prioritize time with friends and live a healthy lifestyle to attempt to age gracefully lol. It’s been a very interesting year- Cheers to what 31 has in store.

thanks to everyone for the questions, advice and musings- I’ve learned so much and the boglehead family keeps me motivated. On to the next one!
That's a great milestone! Keep it up.
ALinLI

Re: I did it and feel great about it (paid off mortgage)

Post by ALinLI »

[Posts moved into here from I did it and feel great about it (paid off mortgage) --admin LadyGeek]

Paid off mortgage today. Feel great , proud of our accomplishment at one time the debt seemed like a big mountain but no more today. Many thanks to all the learnings i got about saving and investing from all the wise members sharing their knowledge and experience on this site. Discipline , hard work and some luck good career choice . Any way feel great today no one else to share this financial milesetones with except DW . Going out for drinks and sushi to celebrate then on to the next goals like college early retirement and savings for a rainy day. Must keep working hard at 46 just got much closer to FI. :D
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

ALinLI wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm Paid off mortgage today. Feel great , proud of our accomplishment at one time the debt seemed like a big mountain but no more today. Many thanks to all the learnings i got about saving and investing from all the wise members sharing their knowledge and experience on this site. Discipline , hard work and some luck good career choice . Any way feel great today no one else to share this financial milesetones with except DW . Going out for drinks and sushi to celebrate then on to the next goals like college early retirement and savings for a rainy day. Must keep working hard at 46 just got much closer to FI. :D
Huge Congrats!!
Well done!!!
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Kudos!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ALinLI - I moved your post and replies into here.

Congrats! :beer
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Just hired a weekly maid service.

Finally at a point in my life where I feel I can afford it :D

Still don't have a gardener though....
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

A quick financial checkup just revealed I'm over the $200k mark.

33-year-old single male
403(b): ~$120k
Roth IRA: ~$35k
Taxable: ~$25k
Cash: ~$35k (will probably throw $15k of this into taxable account soon)
iBonds: ~$1.6k

:beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats! Keep it going. :sharebeer
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

Congrats keep it up