Wifi + wired device [updated]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Wifi + wired device [updated]

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Update - I have gone ahead and chosen a method. See post below for details.

I received an offer from the cable company for internet service. Pretty tempting offer at $15/month, free modem, self set-up, so I am thinking of giving it try.

The cable comes in at a point on the other end of the house from the office area where the PC lives. My thoughts are to set up wifi where it comes in. As far as I can tell, the PC does not have wifi built in. So I would need to add that capability.

A common suggestion on the web is to use a USB adapter. I was looking at wifi extenders, and they seem to have ethernet ports, at least one. Possibly the PC could be directly connected to the extender. That would have the added advantage of ensuring a better signal in the office. The one below is inexpensive, but only has one port:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R9 ... _qh_dp_hza

The only mention of the port in the manual is for setting up a separate network. The spec sheet just refers to it as a Gigabit ethernet port. Does it seem likely that it would serve the purpose?
Last edited by Earl Lemongrab on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pajamas

Re: Wifi + wired device

Post by Pajamas »

The cable company won't run a cable to the other end of the house for you?
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

yes it will work.
depends most heavily on the connection you will get daisy chained through the house from the router to the extender.
if easy or short, could also consider just a long ethernet cable.
can also ask the cable company to add extra coax cable to re-position the modem somewhere closer to the center of the house. usually this is free to do as it only add coax cable.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Pajamas wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 pm The cable company won't run a cable to the other end of the house for you?
Maybe, but I don't want to mess with anything like that.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Pajamas wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 pm The cable company won't run a cable to the other end of the house for you?
For the price the OP is paying he's lucky they don't make him dig a trench and run his own cable to his house.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I recently tried this to extend wired Ethernet into my living room, seems to work okay so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW ... UTF8&psc=1
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:58 pm
If somebody else does the work you don't have to "mess" with it but what you really want is a different type of cable run anyway. My wifi router is more than a dozen years old and is at the other end of the house and works just fine, so a newer one would probably do even better. Of course if you've living in a mansion... well then you can afford to easily solve the problem in any number of ways.

I will say that from considerable experience, having cable run to a wall receptacle makes running other adjacent cables much easier so if that's a choice for free I'd take that deal.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Is you house pre-wired for cable?

In my house, the Comcast technician went into the basement and connected the wire from the outside to the connectors that go to the wires that go to the three RF connectors --- family room, master bedroom, and bedroom #2.

I chose to put the cable modem in bedroom #2. I could have as easily put it in the family room.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

go_mets wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:17 pm Is you house pre-wired for cable?
No. It's a 60s brick house. No basement.

I'd prefer to focus on the question at hand.
shaiboy

Post by shaiboy »

I've had success with both powerline adapters and google wifi.

Powerline adapters: you plug an adapter into your electrical outlet near your modem which then uses your home's existing electrical wiring so when you plug in the adapter near your computer, your computer will connect as if it was directly plugged into the modem. The caveat is that your speed can depend on the quality and distance of your electrical wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerlin ... =powerline

Google Wifi: expensive, but works great. They come in a 3 pack which will create a mesh network--basically making it so that you have multiple routers in your home to provide optimal coverage regardless of which part of the house you're in. You can even connect one of the routers directly into your computer using an ethernet cable (once again, making your computer behave as if it were directly plugged into your modem). There are cheaper options using your existing router and setting up repeaters and whatnot, but this setup is very simple and quick and "just works". IMO, some things just aren't worth trying to save a buck on (i.e. routers, beds, computer chairs and socks).

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-syst ... oogle+wifi
slayed

Post by slayed »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm
The only mention of the port in the manual is for setting up a separate network. The spec sheet just refers to it as a Gigabit ethernet port. Does it seem likely that it would serve the purpose?
Yes it is listed as wired to wireless adapter. It is probably also there as a setup option if you cant use WPS for whatever reason.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Sounds like it's worth a try. I have no idea right now whether an extender is even needed but it probably couldn't hurt. I will look at some of the other suggestions.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 pm I have no idea right now whether an extender is even needed but it probably couldn't hurt.
How far from your cable modem is your computer located?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 pm I have no idea right now whether an extender is even needed but it probably couldn't hurt.
60 feet maybe? With a couple of walls in between. A narrow hall connects the office to the family room where the cable comes in.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:54 pm
60 feet maybe? With a couple of walls in between. A narrow hall connects the office to the family room where the cable comes in.
60 feet should be fine for a decent wireless router, without needing an extender.
I use my laptop more than 60 feet away from my router all the time.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm
60 feet should be fine for a decent wireless router, without needing an extender.
But I have to add wifi the PC in some fashion. A USB adapter is about the same cost, so I thought the extender would do double duty. If the PC had wifi, like my old one did, I'd certainly try it without first.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Don't pay to rent the crappy router the media company wants to sell to you. Instead get a good latest tech router for less than $100 or so, and set it up where it comes into the home. It should have plenty of range to work with your desktop for most purposes.

Also, if it were me I'd dump the old desktop and get a new a new laptop and use it anywhere I wanted in the house. I think desktops are 100% obsolete.

In terms of wifi for the old desktop, check to make sure it does not already have wireless built in. If not you could try something like this first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... 83711&th=1
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm
But I have to add wifi the PC in some fashion. A USB adapter is about the same cost, so I thought the extender would do double duty. If the PC had wifi, like my old one did, I'd certainly try it without first.
I'm seriously not understanding the issue here. Usb wifi is what, $5? Just try it.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm But I have to add wifi the PC in some fashion. A USB adapter is about the same cost, so I thought the extender would do double duty. If the PC had wifi, like my old one did, I'd certainly try it without first.
USB wifi adapters are about $10.
If you have a cell phone, you can use it to check if you need an extender or not.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:59 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm But I have to add wifi the PC in some fashion. A USB adapter is about the same cost, so I thought the extender would do double duty. If the PC had wifi, like my old one did, I'd certainly try it without first.
USB wifi adapters are about $10.
If you have a cell phone, you can use it to check if you need an extender or not.
Okay $10 for a super-deluxe name-brand model.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

I’ve had this powerline adapter for a year. Works flawlessly at over 100 feet from the router to my PC. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have not used a USB wifi adapter, but I have previously used a media-bridge (actually an old router converted to that purpose) which works in the same manner (but via ethernet port rather than USB) and provides more flexibility in positioning for decent wifi reception.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

A mesh router will give you wifi throughout the house with little degradation in speed. There are also other benefits like just one network name unlike extenders. Just make sure the one you buy has an ethernet jack on each station - one is placed where the wire enters your house and 1 or 2 others are scattered throughout your house to get full coverage). One would need to be situated near your desktop computer so you could run the ethernet cable to it.

Orbi is a good brand but there are others. Costco currently has the Orbi RBK22 that claims to cover 4,000 sf using two locations (router and satellite) for $199.99 online. If you have a Costco account and buy it there and it doesn't work for you for some reason it can be easily returned.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm A mesh router will give you wifi throughout the house with little degradation in speed. There are also other benefits like just one network name unlike extenders. Just make sure the one you buy has an ethernet jack on each station - one is placed where the wire enters your house and 1 or 2 others are scattered throughout your house to get full coverage). One would need to be situated near your desktop computer so you could run the ethernet cable to it.

Orbi is a good brand but there are others. Costco currently has the Orbi RBK22 that claims to cover 4,000 sf using two locations (router and satellite) for $199.99 online. If you have a Costco account and buy it there and it doesn't work for you for some reason it can be easily returned.
Why is everybody trying to spend money to solve a problem that nobody knows exists?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

tibbitts wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm A mesh router will give you wifi throughout the house with little degradation in speed. There are also other benefits like just one network name unlike extenders. Just make sure the one you buy has an ethernet jack on each station - one is placed where the wire enters your house and 1 or 2 others are scattered throughout your house to get full coverage). One would need to be situated near your desktop computer so you could run the ethernet cable to it.

Why is everybody trying to spend money to solve a problem that nobody knows exists?
Sorry but I'm sure the OP is capable of deciding what might work best for his situation and how much it's worth to him. I'm just giving information with one possible solution. I've had problems using extenders and a mesh system got rid of those problems for me so I like them.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm Don't pay to rent the crappy router the media company wants to sell to you. Instead get a good latest tech router for less than $100 or so, and set it up where it comes into the home. It should have plenty of range to work with your desktop for most purposes.
That's the idea. I will be looking to buy all the equipment at once.
Also, if it were me I'd dump the old desktop and get a new a new laptop and use it anywhere I wanted in the house. I think desktops are 100% obsolete.

Absolutely not. I just got this recently, and I don't like laptops. Why would I junk perfectly good equipment?
If not you could try something like this first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... 83711&th=1
Yes, I'm considering that solution too. That's less expensive than others I've looked at.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

tibbitts wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm I'm seriously not understanding the issue here. Usb wifi is what, $5? Just try it.
Not the ones I looked at.
cantos

Post by cantos »

This is a no-brainer. A mesh wi-fi system is the easiest to set up/highest performing/bang for the buck combo out there. I use google wifi and it rocks.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm I'm seriously not understanding the issue here. Usb wifi is what, $5? Just try it.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN725 ... plink+wifi

get that one

but your original idea of a range extender with an ethernet port is still fine if they can be staggered well.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm
Absolutely not. I just got this recently, and I don't like laptops. Why would I junk perfectly good equipment?

I assumed the desktop must be pretty old if it does not have wireless built into its network capability. If it is a recent system it would likely have wireless capability.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 pm I assumed the desktop must be pretty old if it does not have wireless built into its network capability. If it is a recent system it would likely have wireless capability.
Desktops either have to have a wifi enable motherboard or a PCI card. That's extra cost.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

The easiest and lowest cost solution is to get a Powerline adapter. You only have to buy one thing. That's what I use to connect my vintage XBOX360 that didn't have wireless built-in to the internet. The only gotcha is that it doesn't matter how close or far the two adapters are plugged in. It depends on whether the two adapters are on the same circuit to maximize speed. Two plugs in the same room may not be on the same circuit.

I would skip on the mesh network and extenders. They add more complication and cost. I would also avoid cheap $5-$10 USB wifi adapters. I have two. I can give you one if you like. They work but the speeds are woefully slow. And by slow, I mean slower than your internet. They only worked well in the same room as the router.

If you want to make sure you have ample wifi coverage since the connection is coming in at one end of the home, I would buy the nicest ~$200 wireless AC router you can find. The AC standard is the newest and fastest. If that doesn't work well, then go the mesh network and/or extenders.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

For that distance, I’d try a USB adapter with an external antenna. Start with the most highly rated one on Amazon.

Also buy a 6’ USB cable, so that you can experiment with antenna location. The USB port locations on desktops are typically poorly situated to maximize your WiFi signal.

Fwiw, my desktops are all wired, but I work from home and spend a lot of time in remote sessions where the wired connection makes a difference. I also have a two node Ubiquiti wifi network with both nodes hardwired. The OP’s situation is likely different and my setup could easily be overkill.
collectionlawyer

Post by collectionlawyer »

I have a similar situation in a 1500 sq ft house. PC located about 40' away from modem through three walls. I tried a couple different brands of USB wifi adapters and was not pleased with the throughput and consistency of the connection. I was getting less than half of the speed available through a wired connection. My solution, which has worked very well, is to purchase two Google Wifi mesh routers. Plug one into the modem. Plug the other one in near the computer, and connect the computer to the remote wifi station with an ethernet cable. The setup was very easy using the Google Wifi app. Now, I have excellent wifi coverage inside and outside the house for devices that need it.

Edit: with my setup I am getting 85-90% of "paid-for" speed and good consistency.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm
You already looked. That merits being shown what to look for. :sharebeer

www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3 ... ay2015.pdf

Page 14
Connect an Ethernet-Enabled Device
After the extender is connected to your existing WiFi network, you can connect a wired
device to the extender using an Ethernet cable. The device can then access your existing
network through the extender’s WiFi connection.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

cantos wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:48 pm This is a no-brainer. A mesh wi-fi system is the easiest to set up/highest performing/bang for the buck combo out there. I use google wifi and it rocks.
This. What I do, and I work from home and my office is downstairs / far from main hub. Works great.

Or this, which I agree, not sure what you have to mess with, cable company does it for you. That's why you pay them monthly fees forever, they will recoup it. This is what installers do for a living.
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:58 pm
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am
You already looked. That merits being shown what to look for.
Connect an Ethernet-Enabled Device
After the extender is connected to your existing WiFi network, you can connect a wired
device to the extender using an Ethernet cable. The device can then access your existing
network through the extender’s WiFi connection.
I'm not sure how I missed that. Thanks.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

We use these Netgear thingies to run Roku boxes in parts of the house the wifi signal won't reach. They work like a charm - perfect streaming through a hard wired Internet connection to the devices.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... L1000.aspx
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

honestly adding a wifi pc card might be the easiest solution.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

N10sive wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm honestly adding a wifi pc card might be the easiest solution.
It's a fairly expensive solution compared to this, and more trouble. I'm sure why it would be easiest.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Earl Lemongrab: You essentially have 3 approaches to accomplish connecting the cable modem on one side of the house to your office on the other side:
  • wireless, a/k/a wifi
  • powerline
  • Ethernet cable
Running an Ethernet cable is most reliable, fastest speed, and cheapest... but at the cost of being a PITA to setup. You buy a $10 100' Cat6 cable, get your drill out, pop some holes, pull the cable through, and connect the cable modem to the PC NIC. Simple. Fast. Reliable.

Powerline is a gamble - do you feel lucky? Buy a powerline kit that has two adapters, plug one end into a 120v power receptacle by the cable modem, the other into a receptacle in the office, 2 short Ethernet cables from each adapter to the modem and PC, say 100 Hail Mary's, cross your fingers, and it may work, and if it works, may give you adequate speeds. Issues - speed and reliability are heavily dependent on both ends being on the same branch circuit, or at least the same side of the panel. There's also some worry about containing your network to your house, as your power plugs are directly connected to the telephone pole, your neighbors, etc... and you hope the power transformers isolate your network traffic.

Wireless is also a gamble and more complex, but may yield better results than powerline. Using that wireless extender as you suggested in your original post, assuming you could get it to work in the reverse manner that its designed for, will negate any "extender" functionality it has, and revert it to be nothing more than a wifi adapter for your PC (no different than $20 USB/PCIe wifi adapter with an external antenna). In a football analogy, if your cable modem + wireless router is located in one end zone, and your office PC with wireless card is in the opposite end zone, that extender is designed to be installed at the 50 yard line -- where it can talk to both end zones, but the end zones are too far away from each other to talk directly. In wifi terms, the cable modem / wireless router talk to the extender on wireless network #1 (SSID #1), and then it relays/repeats that traffic, on a new wireless network (SSID #2), and vice versa. So, in that analogy, placing the extender in either end zone negates it's "extension" capabilities.

If you're sold on wireless, I'd go buy a quality wireless router... and then a USB wireless adapter with an external antenna (not a "micro" or "nano" adapter), setup them up, and hope that the signal is good enough. As someone else suggested, buy a 6-10' USB extension cable so you can move the antenna away from the PC in hopes of finding an ideal placement. If you're unlucky, then buy an extender to bridge the gap. Alternatively, you could also buy expensive NICs on each end that support detachable, external antennas and buy a couple of directional antennas (yagi, pringles cans, etc.), but I'm guessing you don't want to go there....
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm
N10sive wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm honestly adding a wifi pc card might be the easiest solution.
It's a fairly expensive solution compared to this, and more trouble. I'm sure why it would be easiest.
You can get a pc card n900 for 40bucks and it isn't too difficult to install. same price as the extender. As the previous poster pointed out using the wireless extender in your situation is really defeating its purpose.

You may want to browse this site:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

It has a reviews page on extenders as well. The older model you are looking at performed at 18.7Mbps.

I think other factors come into play on how fast you want your internet too. Using a usb to Wi-Fi adapter looks like there are only 1 antenna? Really running ethernet would be ideal but that seems a lot more hassle than installing a pc card and may cost more if your buying the tools to crimp and connect the cables etc. Ethernet cable isn't that cheap either.

It also depends on your router on the other side. Is your modem also a Wi-Fi router?
Last edited by N10sive on Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:44 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 pm I assumed the desktop must be pretty old if it does not have wireless built into its network capability. If it is a recent system it would likely have wireless capability.
Desktops either have to have a wifi enable motherboard or a PCI card. That's extra cost.
Yes, many current desktops don't come standard with wifi. I wouldn't have thought that until I glanced through my daily marketing USmail from Dell.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 pm
Maybe you need to look at other ones. So how much, $10? $15?

You're paying way less than half of what most people pay for internet; if you buy a gold-plated Vic Hayes autograph edition usb adapter you'll still pay less for it plus your first month than most of us do for a single month of slow internet alone.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I certainly don't want to argue with or discourage anyone from offering up their inputs.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

I recommend a Mesh style wifi solution. With a Orbi you can put your main router wherever you have your modem at and then put the satellite router in your office and connect your PC via ethernet. You will not notice any difference between being connect to main router vs the satellite router. Plus this should give you a strong wifi signal to cover every inch of your home.
Most mesh style router packages run for atleast $200 but its cheaper than having your house professionally wired and its some of the best money I've spent in a long time after dealing with spotty wifi coverage for years.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

audioaxes wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 pm I recommend a Mesh style wifi solution. With a Orbi you can put your main router wherever you have your modem at and then put the satellite router in your office and connect your PC via ethernet. You will not notice any difference between being connect to main router vs the satellite router. Plus this should give you a strong wifi signal to cover every inch of your home.
Most mesh style router packages run for atleast $200 but its cheaper than having your house professionally wired and its some of the best money I've spent in a long time after dealing with spotty wifi coverage for years.
Many people don't have those problems, even with decade-old wifi. Of course it depends on the house size and internet speed. I'm guessing that $15/mo isn't buying a 10-gig connection.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 pm I'm guessing that $15/mo isn't buying a 10-gig connection.
The offer lists it as 30mbs download/4mbs upload top speed. Real numbers will vary.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

tibbitts wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 pm
audioaxes wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 pm I recommend a Mesh style wifi solution. With a Orbi you can put your main router wherever you have your modem at and then put the satellite router in your office and connect your PC via ethernet. You will not notice any difference between being connect to main router vs the satellite router. Plus this should give you a strong wifi signal to cover every inch of your home.
Many people don't have those problems, even with decade-old wifi. Of course it depends on the house size and internet speed. I'm guessing that $15/mo isn't buying a 10-gig connection.
I think there is a large amount of people who have a notable degree of wifi coverage issues. Hence why mesh systems have exploded in popularity within the last year. I seen spotty coverage in homes as small as 1500sqft when there's no practical way to put the router in the most optimum place in the house. And average home sizes are getting bigger. Also speed is not really a factor... if you have a 15Mb connection or a gig connection, you still want a strong wifi signal to that connection.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

[about powerline adapters]
killjoy2012 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pmThere's also some worry about containing your network to your house, as your power plugs are directly connected to the telephone pole, your neighbors, etc... and you hope the power transformers isolate your network traffic.
Each adapter has a password configured in it, and can "talk" only to other adapters that use the same password. Out of the box, the password is set to a universal default so you can get a powerline network up and running quickly by simply plugging the adapters into wall outlets. However, you can change the password by using an app on a computer connected to the network. After you do that, nobody else's adapter can "talk" to your network unless they know your network's password and can configure their adapter with it.

Powerline adapters turned out to work OK for me. I use three: one at one end of my house where my DSL connection and desktop computer are located; another one at the other end where my enertainment center is located, with a networked TiVo and Apple TV box; and a third at the middie of the house, connected to a wireless adapter which serves my iPhone, my wife's iPad, and occasionally a visitor.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...