Yes, I'm 89 all right! [Jack Bogle]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
jhfenton

Re: Yes, I'm 89 all right! [Jack Bogle]

Post by jhfenton »

Thank you, sir, and belated happy birthday! We are all in a better place because of you.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Yes - everything everyone said previously. Don't be a stranger. Post more often.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jack bogle wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 am To My Wonderful Bogleheads,

Taylor and Mel both sent me the posts that so many of you kindly made on my 89th birthday. It was a thrill to read them, and I thank each one of you for remembering the date of May 8, shared by Harry S Truman, among many others.

I’m beginning to age a bit, and stumbled through the first quarter with a bunch of heart and back setbacks. But I’m doing much better now, and eagerly finishing my twelfth book, a history of Vanguard and the index revolution. Assuming that I can get permission from the estate of Johnny Cash, it will be titled, “The Songs I Sang Will Still Be Sung.”

And if all goes well, I’ll be singing some of those songs to you when we gather her in October. Bless you all, always, Jack
Dear Mr Bogle

Wishing you all the best. We know where each life ends, so what matters is the journey, and the people one meets on the way.

I feel privileged to have learned from your insights and writings and to have been part of this group, here.

Sincerely
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Wow, what a great thread.

Jack,
Sincere thanks to you for your life's work that has made my life, and I am sure the lives of many millions of others, immeasurably better.

Cheers! :beer
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Wow, surprised to see your post.
Happy birthday and look forward to your next book, Mr. Bogle!
Thank you again for your contribution to the financial life of millions of retail investors.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday! Thank you for everything you've done for investors!
It was both a shock and pleasure to see a post from the legend himself :D
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

God bless you Jack.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Belated happy birthday wishes Mr. Bogle. Thank you so much for all of your work over the years!
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Thank you, Mr. Bogle. I wish you the best for a healthy and peaceful life.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Not sure I can ever express my appreciation for what Jack built. I was a BH before they even existed. Used to be with T. Rowe Price since I lived in Baltimore in the late 70's, and then I read an article about Jack and what he was trying to do. All the angst emanating from Wall Street about Jack back then had to be a good thing for me, right? I was hooked, and what few dollars I had went into the soon-to-be named (Vanguard) Index 500. (in my early 20's I could only afford to be a one-fund portfolio guy.)

"Fast forward" four decades later, and that small amount plus some IRA contributions and 401k rollovers and voila that fund -- now morphed into a 3-fund portfolio (Index 500 for posterity since I can't let it go, Total Stock and Total Bond) -- will carry me into retirement (as I was just laid off last week). And I will sleep well at night.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jack. There are just no words to describe your impact on little guys like me, who was born in the projects.

Happy (belated) Birthday.
EDosi

Post by EDosi »

Happy Birthday!

For all that you have done -- thank you, thank you..and thank you!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I know I'm late to the party (pun intended), but please add my wishes for a happy birthday to those already expressed here.

Happy birthday, sir.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Thanks for all you do and continue to do for the everyday investor.

Was a pleasure meeting you at the last conference and looking forward to listening to your words of wisdom again.

Be well!
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 »

Happy birthday, Jack.
Thank you for making it so simple. Three basic index funds. International capped at 10% (20% of equities). Go to sleep. Re-balance once a year. Count your money once in a while. No reason to read the market constantly. No reason to second guess your moves. No reason to follow all the so called experts who borrow your watch in order to tell you what time it is. Sit back and get rich. Compounding will take care of everything. Looking forward to your next birthday, Jack.
Compound

Post by Compound »

Happy Birthday! Best wishes in the days, months, and years to come.

Thank you for all you’ve done for the common investor! I’m honored to call myself, with pride, a BOGLEhead and in doing so carry a small part of your legacy forward.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Happy Birthday Jack!
Am happy to hear you are on the mend and am looking forward to seeing you in October!

Gail
sco

Post by sco »

This is my new favorite thread...

Thank you Mr Bogle,
for everything..
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Very Happy Birthday wishes to you Mr Bogle. I am so thankful that you set up Vanguard with low expense ratios to give the small investor a decent chance at accumulating wealth. Just want you to know there are countless people you helped by doing this. Wish I could see you at the Bogleheads annual gathering but I never could make reservations before it's sold out.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Thank you Sir, for setting up Vanguard to be a brilliant, shining beacon of how to align corporate interests with the customer's interests.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Happy Birthday Mr. Bogle! It's such an honor to be able to address you here. As so many have said, you have made a profound difference in my and our lives. Wishing you many more years of life and happiness! :sharebeer
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Thank you so much Jack. You are a wonderful person and I respect you immensely.
KingsBench

Post by KingsBench »

Mr. Bogle,

Happy Birthday! You are a great man.

I read your early books on mutual funds on the advice of a colleague in 1997. I was captivated by your ability to make such common sense about a complicated subject (complicated to me). I immediately gave your books to the Financial Director of our Family, my wife, who read them and immediately pulled our Family Fortune, such as it was, out of Merrill Lynch and opened our accounts at Vanguard.

This was all a turning point in our lives, a financial turning point which, I might add, enhances our Marital Bliss.

Thank you Mr. Bogle, and may you continue to lead the way as the voice of reason and conscience in the financial industry.

KingsBench
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

jack bogle wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 am To My Wonderful Bogleheads,

Taylor and Mel both sent me the posts that so many of you kindly made on my 89th birthday. It was a thrill to read them, and I thank each one of you for remembering the date of May 8, shared by Harry S Truman, among many others.

I’m beginning to age a bit, and stumbled through the first quarter with a bunch of heart and back setbacks. But I’m doing much better now, and eagerly finishing my twelfth book, a history of Vanguard and the index revolution. Assuming that I can get permission from the estate of Johnny Cash, it will be titled, “The Songs I Sang Will Still Be Sung.”

And if all goes well, I’ll be singing some of those songs to you when we gather her in October. Bless you all, always, Jack
Mr Bogle -

Are are an inspiration to us all. Please stay healthy and continue to fight the good fight! I can never say or express enough in terms of saying "thank you" for making sure the little guy earns their fair share of market returns!

I can not wait to read your next book! I have all of them on my book shelf and refer to them many times. I have learned so much.

Best wishes.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
workoutexcite

Post by workoutexcite »

Thank you Sir.
RDP

Post by RDP »

Happy Birthday Mr. Bogle! You have touched many lives in a positive way.
international001

Post by international001 »

You can't beat the market, but the market beats because of you!

Keep in good health!

For your 90th, any chance to get some more of those boggle heads? I'd love to show them to my kids.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

I will get the book The Songs I Sang Will Still Be Sung as soon as it comes out! Looking forward to it!!!
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"