Dash camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PressIt

Dash camera

Post by PressIt » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Recently had my wife involved in an accident where the other driver was 100% at fault, and admitted it at the scene. Month or so later he is now changing his story and insurance wants to split liability 50/50.

Thankfully, I have 2 independent witnesses who stopped to give my wife their info,but in the event we weren’t so lucky to get witnesses, we might be screwed.

Any recommendations on dash cams you have used?

Thanks

jumppilot

Re: Dash camera

Post by jumppilot » Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 pm

I'd suggest staying away from cameras that have GPS in them. In the event of an accident, you don't want the police/other insurance company to know you were going 7 MPH over the speed limit even if the accident wasn't your fault.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:43 pm

This is on SlickDeals today.

For the price of a lunch it might be worth trying.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11580323-4sigh ... BarV2Algo1
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Make sure to get a camera that can operate well under extreme heat during summer. It might give you a peace of mind. But don't forget that it's your responsibility to be thorough with police report and/or written statement/camera recording. It's easy to take out your phone and do a quick recording. It's very naive to trust a stranger to keep their promise.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Blacksys CH100-b 2 channel.

Have been using it for 2 years and it's great, holds up well in hot weather also.

Post by 123 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

If you leave a dash camera in your vehicle while you're not around there is some likelihood that it will tempt a thief and be stolen. Thieves don't seem to mind breaking $100 (or much more depending on vehicle) worth of glass to get some electronic item that may actually have minimal value used.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Fri May 18, 2018 3:20 pm

I'd suggest staying away from cameras that have GPS in them. In the event of an accident, you don't want the police/other insurance company to know you were going 7 MPH over the speed limit even if the accident wasn't your fault.
Actually, vehicular speed can be calculated by the frame speed and recorded distance even without a GPS.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

I picked this up (Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with Sony Exmor Video Sensor, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording ) on Amazon about a year ago and am happy with it. I mounted it in front of the rearview mirror so it's very unobtrusive from the outside, and I don't even see it from the inside. Didn't want anything interfering with my field of vision. Never needed it yet, but got it just in case there was a problem with "he said, she said" should an accident occur.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Thewirecutter.com did a review recently.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

I've wondered if, for everyday driving, you could simply set up a cellphone on a stand on the dashboard to record. Once you reach your destination (safely), you could just delete the video and start a new one.

Topic Author
PressIt

Post by PressIt » Fri May 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea about no gps. I don’t speed usually but wouldn’t like to give ammo to an insurance company.

The cell phone idea is interesting. They should make an app for that

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Double edged sword. If you have an accident and it is your fault and on video.....You might say, well, then I will take responsibility for it. In today's litigious society though, I'd say that would be naive.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Thewirecutter.com did a review recently.
+1 on wirecutter review.
They have done more than one review in the past year, updating as the technology improves.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:22 pm
Double edged sword. If you have an accident and it is your fault and on video.....You might say, well, then I will take responsibility for it. In today's litigious society though, I'd say that would be naive.
That camera may also disappear before anyone knows it was there.

AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 pm

I have 2 of G1W dashcams (available at Amazon,I bought from China). They have been in use for over 4/5 years. I had to change the internal batteries (available online for $7). Now some dashcams are capacitor based.

Some states have restrictions on windshield surface mounted gadgets.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:55 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:22 pm
That camera may also disappear before anyone knows it was there.
That's possible, but unlikely if you are in the back of an ambulance unconscious.

I really just don't see the need. I haven't had an accident in 25 years and don't plan on starting now. That is also why I have my own insurance.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat May 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Yooper wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm
I mounted it in front of the rearview mirror so it's very unobtrusive from the outside, and I don't even see it from the inside. Didn't want anything interfering with my field of vision.
Yes, you want to be sure that whatever camera you use is compatible with traffic laws that make anything that obscures the windshield view a ticket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshiel ... New_Jersey

In particular municipalities are diligent in encouraging their law enforcement agents to look for revenue opportunities.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 am

PressIt wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm
Any recommendations on dash cams you have used?
Mobius Action Cameras have worked well for us. However, I'd highly recommend using resources such as Dashcam Talk for up to date information on current offerings as we selected these camera several years ago. I'd probably be looking at a 2 channel setup these days with something from either Thinkware or BlackVue despite the fact that they cost much more.

If you want recommendations, it would help to have some more specifics on what exactly you're looking for from your dashcam and what sort of budget you have in mind.
jumppilot wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 pm
Or verify that it can be turned off. Our cameras have GPS but I don't have it enabled. We don't have audio enabled either.
Cyclone wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm
I've wondered if, for everyday driving, you could simply set up a cellphone on a stand on the dashboard to record. Once you reach your destination (safely), you could just delete the video and start a new one.
You certainly can but it's a hassle and the time you decide not to bother may be the time you actually need it. Cellphone is also likely to block much more of the view than a proper dashcam, not have as wide of a lens, etc.
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:55 pm
I haven't had an accident in 25 years and don't plan on starting now.
I didn't plan on having my last accident either. However, apparently, the other driver didn't get my memo.

Topic Author
PressIt

Post by PressIt » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Just a quick update for those that may stumble across this thread in a similar situation.

The police do not take noninjury accident reports, I called them anyways as the driver was hesitant to give me his information stating he would call me with it tomorrow. He found it when the police showed up.. go figure.

Anyways, I was able to get a copy of the officer’s audio recording. While this isn’t a police report, he clearly admitted fault and listed all the details about what happened that I’m sure he didn’t say to his insurance company.. I’ll be forwarding it to them. The process was easy and I’m sure most police departments offer this service.

Also, I will be getting a dash cam in case I don’t get so lucky next time.

01spirit750

Post by 01spirit750 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am

We were in a similar situation. I did a fair amount of research and here is what I found:

1. Get a "capacitor" camera and not one with a battery. I have read about batteries exploding.
2. Get one with the rear view camera as well
3. Upgrade the micro SD card to the largest storage size the camera will support
4. Get the mini SD card to USB adapters for easy viewing on a laptop / PC (some camera's come with them. They are about $1 on ebay).
5. Read the instructions. There is a archive button on most camera's which will prevent the previous file from being overwritten.

For fun, goto youtube and search dash camera accident and you will be convinced. I guess in Russia they are very common due to insurance fraud.

boglemaster

Post by boglemaster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 pm

DELETE
Last edited by boglemaster on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boglemaster

Post by boglemaster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 pm

01spirit750 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am
We were in a similar situation. I did a fair amount of research and here is what I found:

1. Get a "capacitor" camera and not one with a battery. I have read about batteries exploding.
2. Get one with the rear view camera as well
3. Upgrade the micro SD card to the largest storage size the camera will support
4. Get the mini SD card to USB adapters for easy viewing on a laptop / PC (some camera's come with them. They are about $1 on ebay).
5. Read the instructions. There is a archive button on most camera's which will prevent the previous file from being overwritten.

For fun, goto youtube and search dash camera accident and you will be convinced. I guess in Russia they are very common due to insurance fraud.
I know this was an old post. Our research and comments are very valuable to me, after doing my basic research.
Wondering what dash cam you bought, and whether it was worth the price.
Looking to buy a dash cam(not very very pricey), for my 2019 Subaru Ascent.
Thank you in advance!!!