Hot food flavoring (sauces, spices and peppers)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Hot food flavoring (sauces, spices and peppers)

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm getting more into hot and spicy food. I don't need anything extreme but prefer something hotter than Sriracha / Red Hot / cayenne / red pepper flakes. Also I'll want to watch the sodium levels in hot sauces.

Anyway, just looking for some recommendations of things to try
NJdad6

Re: Hot food flavoring (sauces, spices and peppers)

Post by NJdad6 »

I look for a balance between heat and flavor. Best easy to find I think are
- Cholula chipotle
- Tiger Sauce
- Cyrstal hot sauce (seems to be more popular than Tabasco in New Orleans)

My favorite is Lillie’s of Charleston (can order online). If you have a specialty market nearby you might find some unique brands.

If interested Tabasco has a 15 year aged sauce for $35.
PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop »

I have found it pretty easy to make hot sauce from scratch.

Pick up half a dozen habenero peppers, stem and halve them, toss some oil on them, and roast them in the oven for a bit. Transfer to saucepan and saute while adding a whole head of garlic, a whole onion, and then some white vinegar(or red wine vinegar for flavor). Add salt to taste, and cumin, and maybe black pepper too. Blend until smooth. I kept it as a smooth thick sauce but you can also strain it at this point. Keeps in fridge in glass jar for at least a couple weeks, probably a lot longer.

Wife said it was the best hot sauce she's ever had and I was making the recipe up as I went. I agree that it was super delicious. Made me realize that the stuff you buy at the store doesn't really try that hard in terms of having well-rounded flavors.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

We love spicy food. Some of my favorite hot seasonings are ...

- Yuzu from Trader Joes (condiment)
- Harissa (can get this anywhere - great for roasted foods and in soups)
- Canned chipotles (great for meats and bean soups for a low, slow heat that builds in your mouth)
- Korean red chili paste (cooking, salads, marinades)
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Best thing for you to do would be to understand the Scoville scale and where different types of peppers fall on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

It's easy to make your own hot sauce and you can get different kinds of hot peppers at "ethnic" markets if you don't see them in your regular grocery store. That's a good way to control the heat and sodium both and also enjoy the fruitiness of fresh peppers.

Another alternative to manage the sodium is to get powdered peppers or peppers in a grinder. For instance, Trader Joe's will have smoked bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) grinders in stock once a year in season for $5 or so if you shop there.

Trader Joe's also sells a Mexican-style Chile Lime Seasoning shaker that is better than the Mexican brands but it has a good bit of sodium. The Green Dragon Sauce they sell is also a favorite for me and is low in sodium.

The El Yucateco brand has some tasty sauces including a Chile Habanero sauce that is orangey-red.

The various Jamaican Scotch Bonnet hot sauces are also worth trying.

For cooking, the Chile and Chile Garlic sauces from Huy Fong (makes the popular brand of sriracha) are staples.

Yes, I have two shelves on my refrigerator door full of hot sauces! 8-)
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

My go-to is Tapatio. Unfortunately the salt is kind of what makes them jump.

You can also just steep some jalapenos or Thai chilis in white vinegar and a bit of salt. Both the peppers and the vinegar make a good topping for Asian dishes.

Also escebeche (not sure if I spelled that right) is a great side for Mexican. Just carrots, onions, and any other veggies marinated with jalapenous in a vinegar solution.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

I found a jar of Savory Spice Shop urfa red pepper flakes in my stocking last Xmas, a gift from my daughter, the chef. I believe the urfa pepper comes from Turkey. It has a uniquely rich flavor, which I've been using for homemade chili and other dishes. I've been experimenting with the urfa pepper in my enchilada sauce and I'm thinking I've found a real winner. The heat is noticeable but by no means offensive. I've tried a lot of ground and flaked chile peppers in my cooking over the years and the urfa pepper is certainly one of my favorites.
Invisi8

Post by Invisi8 »

berbere spice
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Chiu chow chili oil is awesome. Probably not good for you though.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Marie Sharp's sauce from Belize is really good.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm Marie Sharp's sauce from Belize is really good.
+1
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Can't recommend these offerings enough. Quite good, and some are quite hot (but there are also milder flavors too). Rhubarb Reaper is my current favorite.

https://www.coopsauce.com/
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

For Mexican, I've been using a lot of Valentina Salsa Picante lately. That's lower on the heat side but lots of flavor. Also a fan of Cholula and the green jalapeno version of Tabasco.

For fried chicken, Texas Pete.

For Thai and Indian food, the Huy Fong chili paste mentioned by a previous poster.

None of the above are knock your socks off hot, but add enough spice to liven up what I'm eating/cooking and they have good flavor.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm I have found it pretty easy to make hot sauce from scratch.

Pick up half a dozen habenero peppers, stem and halve them, toss some oil on them, and roast them in the oven for a bit. Transfer to saucepan and saute while adding a whole head of garlic, a whole onion, and then some white vinegar(or red wine vinegar for flavor). Add salt to taste, and cumin, and maybe black pepper too. Blend until smooth. I kept it as a smooth thick sauce but you can also strain it at this point. Keeps in fridge in glass jar for at least a couple weeks, probably a lot longer.

Wife said it was the best hot sauce she's ever had and I was making the recipe up as I went. I agree that it was super delicious. Made me realize that the stuff you buy at the store doesn't really try that hard in terms of having well-rounded flavors.

And if you are going to make your own, make sure that you are wearing gloves and eye protection. Seriously.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Another vote for (carefully) making your own hot sauces and hot pepper vinegars. You can control sodium content and get the right blend of heat and flavor for your tastes. So easy to do.

Make very small batches to start, as without reduced sodium content comes a reduced shelf life.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Go to a good farmers market or a good Mexican market and buy a selection of chili's. Learn the various kinds of chili's.
Buy a few of each type. See below. Read some recipes. Put them in your food raw or cooked. Eat some of each type. Beware of the seeds in the chili's as that is where the heat is concentrated. The skin and meat of the pepper is where the flavor is concentrated. Enjoy.

https://www.plated.com/morsel/8-types-of-peppers/
https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/551 ... r-peppers/
https://www.thespruceeats.com/types-of- ... es-2342638
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Trader Joe's makes a particularly good mango tomatillo salsa...I would call it medium hot.
NicB

Post by NicB »

+1 to Pajamas’ comments.

My go-to hot sauces (in order of increasing heat) are Cholula, El Yucatco Black Label, and a couple of scotch bonnet-based ones. You might also find that your preference varies a lot based on how you’re using them or what you’re eating — like I’ll use one on eggs vs. what I’d cook with or use for chili.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

Our favorite HOT hot sauce is Sambal Oelek, a Thai chili paste. It packs a wallop and is flavorful, too.
Trism

Post by Trism »

This is outstanding on grilled pork and chicken.

https://www.myspicesage.com/bhut-joloki ... -1026.html
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I simply stem about 20 or so habanero peppers, put them in a blender with just enough water so they puree. Pour mixture into a saucepan and gently boil until most of the water is gone. Add some vegetable oil, a little bit of salt to activate the taste buds, cool and pour into a jar to store in the fridge. Be warned, it's just plain heat. If you like taste, add a little something you like before or during the cooking process.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Serrano peppers are good in curry or Mexican (2 for hot, 4 for very hot) or you can buy them pickled and add to whatever you like. They have a better flavor than Habanero to my taste. I put them in the food processor rather than cutting them (with ginger and garlic for curry).
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

blueblock wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:28 pm Our favorite HOT hot sauce is Sambal Oelek, a Thai chili paste. It packs a wallop and is flavorful, too.
Me too.

We call it "nuke sauce" chez Blend. Way more useful than Sriracha IMO. I use it in most stir-frys.

We have a few other go-tos, such as Tabasco-ish pepper sauces.

Love the Mango-Tomatillo salsa from Trader's Joe's. (And before that, their Habanero-Lime, which was discontinued. Grr.). The one drawback is that it has to be consumed quickly or it goes bad.

Whole jalapenos, chili powder, cayenne, crushed red pepper, are staples to be kept in stock.
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

Lenny’s Hot Pepper Relish.
https://www.lennys.com/online-store/hot ... relish.cfm

You’re welcome. Seriously, this is where it’s at for any kind of sandwich-like thing.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Hot Ones Last Dab
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

My go to heat for most recipes when we cook is Huy Fong Sambal Oelek Chili Paste. A little goes a long way. Tastes fantastic and lasts for many months in the frig.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

I used to like really hot, but have backed off quite a bit. I enjoy the taste of habanero but most habanero sauces are way too hot. My current favorite for hot but not overwhelming (to me) is the El Yucatano Green Habanero. Pretty cheap in Wal-Mart and widely available compared to a lot of sauces. Previously I liked the Dave's Gourmet Hurtin' Habenaro which is also pretty easy to find. It is a similar heat level, but now I find the tomato base a little too sweet for me. Both are otherwise a pretty neutral flavor so you taste the pepper.

Lots of great suggestions here that I'm going to have to try. One warning about roasting habaneros is be careful not to breath the fumes. If I ever try again it will be outside on the grill. :twisted:
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Sriracha hot sauce
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

Well, we eat a lot of hot sauces and foods. My wife just had me get her two blocks of Carolina reaper cheese from Woodmans, which is a grocery store by us.

We also make sauces and chutneys in bulk and freeze them in quart bags. All made from tomatoes and hot peppers grown on our farm. We grow cayenne and ghost peppers at our farm.

But one thing that’s a staple for us, and which you might like is called chili garlic. It is made by a Mexican lady somewhere in Colorado. It’s pretty expensive but my wife can’t get enough of it. We buy it by the case in an effort to reduce shipping cost. We go through a case every 6 months. Chilecolonial.com. Amazing stuff. My wife eats it on toast, with eggs, for stir frying veggies and meats. Just about anything. Give it a try. It’s like crack cocaine. You can’t stop eating the stuff!
Hidjet

Post by Hidjet »

El Yucateco is delicious. I use the red and green sauces each, pretty interchangeably. In fact I just had some pizza with the green about an hour ago.

Also shout out to Hot Ones on YouTube. Good interviews with celebrities while they eat HOT wings. Great show!
monito

Post by monito »

Another couple of ways to preserve peppers indefinitely without using sodium/salt is with alcohol (vodka 80proof/40%alc is the cheapest for a 1.75L [salsa borracha -> boozy salsas]) and white sugar. Note you can do both as I've got bottles filled with those three basic ingredients.

Shorter shelf life (months to a year) is by using oil (olive, avocado, coconut [it's pretty stable]) and/or vinegar.

You may also freeze your sauces if you make batches, consider using an ice tray and once frozen, move to a zip lock bag, then add or thaw as needed.

Powdered/dry chilies will last a long time, so you can use them as ingredients in the blender to make sauces on the fly, can use tomatoes/tomatillos/vinegar/beer/lime/citric acid for acidity and then herbs such as cilantro/bay leaves/oregano/thyme/ginger/horseradish. Can also add other ingredients such as cacao nibs (Mexican food such as mole uses chocolate), can also experiment with coffee and tea leaves.

If you are serious about how spicy you like your food, consider getting seeds for rare chilies and grow your own, can freeze them if you get frost during winter or even use lamps to harvest year round.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

wasabi
piri piri
Szechuan chile oil
Vindaloo or Madras
queso

Post by queso »

+1 on all the El Yucateco recommendations. I love both the red and green. I also like Tabasco Habanero much better than the other Tabasco variants. It goes on sale at tabasco.com a couple times a year so you can pick up a gallon pretty cheap and then just refill the tiny bottle that you get at your local grocery store (if you can find it locally).
TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA »

I tend towards VERY mild sauces.

I don't like food that fights back.

EDIT: But when I cook for others, I have learned to "give 'em what they want" and use basics like Frank's Red Hot, etc.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Get some hot green chillies - thin, small ones. Make sure they are fresh, rinse and dry, and snap off the stems. Save them in a ziplock bad and place it in the freezer.
when you want hot,take one or two, place it on your cutting board and chop fine. I use a pestle from my set and crush them. Sprinkle some salt (you always need to salt hot chilies in order to balance and bring out the taste.)
You can sprinkle this on pizza, eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, casseroles, soups, anything you want to eat. I add them to white sauce when I make casseroles, cream soups, just about everything. Corn bread.
Nothing better.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

take 5 or 6 hot red chilies, dried. I cup coriander seed. 3 or 4 cloves of peeled fresh garlic.
Grind together in your clean coffee grinder. Save in a jar. Fragrant and yummy on anything.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Being in west Florida, we eat a lot of Cuban food. Crystal hot sauce is a staple for us. We have also on occasion used Tabasco, and Franks. Can't say one is better than another. We buy the 2-large bottle packages of Crystal at Costco.

All work very well for us.

As I age I find my tolerance for spicy/hot sauces is not what it used to be. :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

Yooper wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 pm I simply stem about 20 or so habanero peppers, put them in a blender with just enough water so they puree. Pour mixture into a saucepan and gently boil until most of the water is gone. Add some vegetable oil, a little bit of salt to activate the taste buds, cool and pour into a jar to store in the fridge. Be warned, it's just plain heat. If you like taste, add a little something you like before or during the cooking process.
Put some brown sugar in it if you like the sweet/hot combo. I like it with brown sugar.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm I have found it pretty easy to make hot sauce from scratch.

If you follow advice to make your own, be careful when you cut peppers open and seed them. I recommend wearing gloves, so that you don't get anything on your hands that you might then transfer to more...sensitive areas. (This is especially important if you wear contact lenses.)
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

In New Mexico, green chile is served as a condiment. People outside New Mexico often confuse "green chile" with the pork stew called Chile Verde. That's not it. If someone in NM asks if you want green chile on your (hamburger, eggs, or whatever), they are talking about the chile pepper that is grown in the field and fire roasted. Yum. Usual store brands are Hatch and Bueno.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... J6GYTF4zQ0

https://www.google.com/search?ei=WPL-Wr ... KkY-NuWud4

NM has a state question: Red or Green?
http://www.ereferencedesk.com/resources ... stion.html
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I see someone mentioned the pickled escabeche and that reminded me that I didn't mention chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I go through many cans (not just for Mexican food) and sometimes add cocoa powder, cumin, etc.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I don't know whether it's more or less spicy than your desired goal, but I've always been a fan of Walkerswood Jerk Sauce.

http://www.walkerswood.com/index.php

I've been to Jamaica several times, and have sampled the native cuisine more than once (one time from a roadside vendor with a small wood fired grill, which I suppose is about as authentic as you can get), and the Walkerswood products always seemed to be closest to the taste of the native stuff.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm I'm getting more into hot and spicy food. I don't need anything extreme but prefer something hotter than Sriracha / Red Hot / cayenne / red pepper flakes. Also I'll want to watch the sodium levels in hot sauces.

Anyway, just looking for some recommendations of things to try
Try Indian/Asian spices - visit an Indian/Asian grocery store nearby and ask for help.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

When cooking, I like canned chipotles. They have a smokiness that most other spicy things don't have. I also use a lot of Jalapenos or Serranos when cooking. I find the serranos are more consistent in heat. If you just want a condiment, Tabasco Chipotle Hot Sauce is my favorite. A lot of Mexican friends use Valentina which is a Mexican hot sauce and is very cheap. It also depends on the application. Hot sauces, in my opinion, don't go with everything. I use red pepper flakes if I think hot sauce or Sriracha will alter the taste of the dish negatively while making it spicier.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

There are so many fine hot sauces out there that I am not sure that I would waste my time making my own. I think that I have about 15 bottles in my pantry and I have cut was back.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

You might try some of the non-pepper pungent spices. Ginger, horseradish, wasabi, mustards, black pepper, cinnamon, and hard neck garlic come to mind. These all have different active ingredients and the "hot" tastes are quite different.
Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 »

We love the Fat Cat brand. All different spice levels for whatever your pleasure.

http://fatcatfoods.com/our-products/
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

For something different try Patak's Hot Mango Pickle. Has a strong flavor-some love it, some hate it. Found in any Indian grocery store.
WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout »

After a year in Spain, I can't have my eggs without some La Chinata smoked Spanish paprika. I go for the picante (Hot), not the dulce (sweet) version. The blend of heat and smoky flavor is just amazing, and is very different from other hot flavors.