Creating Business - Help

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
FPS_dapdap

Creating Business - Help

Post by FPS_dapdap »

Hi BH Community,

I am planning on opening my own indoor soccer futsal company in Houston Texas. I was wondering if any other people here who have started their own company can provide insight to this entire process. I’m not quite sure where to begin with actually “creating” the company with the state, getting building permits, licenses, etc. Any logically order and process on how to go about doing this would be very helpful.

Also, any tips from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps something that you would have different given the knowledge you have gained by going through this process. Any recommended books that lay out a good foundation?
Pajamas

Re: Creating Business - Help

Post by Pajamas »

Best advice would be for you to get a job at a similar company so you can learn a little about the business before starting one yourself.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Nolo press at nolo.com has many good books dealing with aspects of starting a biz
Topic Author
FPS_dapdap

Post by FPS_dapdap »

hicabob wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 am Nolo press at nolo.com has many good books dealing with aspects of starting a biz
Thanks, i'll look into this.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

You might call a few of the Futsal owners/facilities in another city or state and ask them about what they did to start their business.

Do you have a place ? Business Plan ?
I would look to retrofit the fields into an older warehouse/industrial park. Heavy marketing to the club/select teams to use for training during bad weather days or indoor/futsal during winter seasons.
I would also ask about other sports/training you could market too, that might use your facility outside of futsal league play to generate income. Allow individual soccer training on fields, goalkeeper training- teach Little Tots soccer.

I would think offering several options increase chances for Income.
Futsal
large field Indoor soccer
small sided / small goal soccer

I've have thought about this as well (not Houston), just not sure the income potential.
Best of Luck
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
Topic Author
FPS_dapdap

Post by FPS_dapdap »

That's a great idea. I'll call around to other facilities and ask them questions.

I currently do not have a place. Location is key in Houston so I am still evaluating my options. I have a direct contact with the Houston Dynamo Academy teams and other various clubs. The main response I am receiving from them is that there is a current lack of great futsal courts. Therefore I was planning on having 2 futsal courts and one turf field (for training sessions, small sided games, etc).

My main concern in income potential. I have my masters in accounting and I am a licensed CPA in Texas so I know my way around the numbers. I'll be doing a more in depth analysis on revenue streams, breakeven points, margins etc to see if this venture is profitable.

Thanks for your response and all the information. I really appreciate it.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

In PA there was a .gov site that had listed all the forms I had to fill out. DBA (doing business as), what type of company, registering to collect sales tax etc. Then there was the federal forms. Might be something similar in Texas...a gov cleaning house.
Topic Author
FPS_dapdap

Post by FPS_dapdap »

forgeblast wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am In PA there was a .gov site that had listed all the forms I had to fill out. DBA (doing business as), what type of company, registering to collect sales tax etc. Then there was the federal forms. Might be something similar in Texas...a gov cleaning house.
I'll look into this for Texas. What business structure did you set up? For me, I am leaning towards an LLC.
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

I worked with a non-profit looking for space to build their fields. We were never successful due to many things but you can start some conversations with the following:

1) Talk with a realtor once you decide what kind of space you need so you can get a general idea of costs and locations
- this will give you an idea of the general cost of rent/buy options
- can you afford anything close to where people will actually go
2) Locations all have zoning and your use may not fit the existing zoning permits
- this will tell you if you have to do any additional permit work and/or lobbying the neighbors
- most neighbors really hate lights, noise and late night traffic if you are anywhere near homes
3) Call around and see if you can find a developer/builder of the type of facility you want (seems specialized so this may be limited)
- may cost you some money for their advice but this will give you some general costs for budgeting
- commerical costs are ridiculously more expensive than residential so you may have wildly incorrect assumptions depending on your background

Do as much pre-work as possible to decide if this is nice to have or if you'll make money. In my experience, fringe sports always complain about field space (we all bow to youth soccer, or maybe football in Texas) but they also rarely make enough money to justify owning their own space.

Oh, and lawyers are an extremely expensive tool once deployed. Make sure you discuss and cap fees early and often!
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

FPS_dapdap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am
forgeblast wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am In PA there was a .gov site that had listed all the forms I had to fill out. DBA (doing business as), what type of company, registering to collect sales tax etc. Then there was the federal forms. Might be something similar in Texas...a gov cleaning house.
I'll look into this for Texas. What business structure did you set up? For me, I am leaning towards an LLC.
I run a one person carving business. I carve spoons, hew dough bowls and turn plates and bowls on a spring pole lathe all non electric hand work only. So just a sole proprietorship. I have to collect a lot of sales tax from doing craft shows,and each state that I show in has a different process and entity for collecting their sales tax.