Unique Phone Apps that you find yourself using most often?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

Unique Phone Apps that you find yourself using most often?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm

The apps I seem to use most are those related to my banks, Lyft, Uber, Pandora....

I often use airline and hotel brand apps as well.

So here's my question - what apps am I missing out on related to finding travel deals, personal finance issues, miscellaneous.

Do you have favorite apps? Thanks

bloom2708

Re: Unique Phone Apps that you find yourself using most often?

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Vanguard, StumbleUpon, eBay, Personal Capital, Kindle, MLB At Bat (Twins games), Duolingo (Learning Norwegian, Swedish and Danish), Starbucks, Twitter

Playstation Vue (our TV). I also use both Bing and Google apps for searching, finding things and news content.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm

I recently installed the Slick Deals app after years of using their website and found it to be a great time saver

Feedly is great for news feeds, but I mostly just use it for reddit

others I use daily:
ColorNote
Clipper

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 pm

I really like the Yahoo Finance app. I track all my funds tickers with it, and watch The Final Round (always starts 5 mins before markets close).
If I miss it, I usually go to their website and watch it later in the evening.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

I really like an app called Here We Go. I can download a detailed street map of any country, city, state or whatever to my phone or tablet and use them offline. Lost in Dublin, Odessa, Seattle, Moscow, Anchorage or where ever..... just open the app and enter the city detail you want, and find from there with no internet or data hook up. Just walk to a corner and find the intersection. We are taking an Odessa to Kiev Cruise next month and I've downloaded all of the Ukraine to have it available, as I did with several other countries and states.

I avoid financial sites on phones and tablets but do have LastPass on my phone and tablet just in case..
Last edited by midareff on Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Apple News, Runtastic, Pandora, NextDoor, several Christian prayer apps, puniverse

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm

- Accuweather to see if it will be raining before I leave the house - I like the "Minute-cast" which is usually pretty accurate (tells me, for instance, rain will start in 27 minutes). Also good for planning my weekend.
- Bloomberg for news along with a few others that I sometimes check (CNN for the Left; Fox for the Right; also - NPR, AP and Reuters).
- Travel: Lyft and Uber; all the Hotel apps; all the Airline apps (for boarding passes; last minute seat changes, etc.). I still haven't found a "find me a restaurant" app I'm happy with (check Yelp, tripadvisor, etc. - hit or miss on how good they are in a particular area; one-table for reservations sometimes).
- Evernote to sync lists; other info between my PC and my smartphone
- Chrome for almost everything else including Bogleheads :) A lot of shopping sites try to get you to download their app - I find Chrome works perfectly fine on their mobile sites without the need for another app. I have a number of shortcuts for common places on my home screens - in addition to shopping sites I also have shortcuts for places like the movie theater (check on movie times, etc.).
- Goodreads to track which books I have read and which I want to read (and of the ones I want to read - which I already own so I don't buy a duplicate) - easy to check when looking in an independent bookstore or when I get an alert that a Kindle book I think I want is on sale.
- App for my ISP/On-Demand/DVR provider. Its easier to set up DVR recording on my phone than on my TV. This was true for 2 different providers I've had.
- Amazon App for Shopping; Amazon Music App for playlists
- Financial apps - Banks, Investments, Credit Cards
- There there is Work stuff (Email, Calendar, Expense-tracking/reimbursement, Sharepoint/OneDrive, etc.).

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Wed May 16, 2018 3:31 pm

WTForecast makes me chuckle every time.
Viber because Skype is junk these days.
Google Translate's camera translator.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Google Drive/Docs/Photos for notes and photos. Unlimited photo storage on Pixel 2 phone. Google assistant and maps.
I don't think I'll go back to iCloud, Siri, and Apple Maps!

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Google maps for traffic and directions, Amazon Prime for music, MicroSoft Outlook for work email, YouVersion for David Suchet reading the Bible, HiYa for spam call detection, SigFig for portfolio tracking, FoxNews for the depressing stuff, iPhone's Podcast app.

Has anyone else noticed that Google Maps can sometimes be "slow" with its turn by turn directions? Several times recently I've gotten the "turn right on to xyz road" just as I was going by it. And no, I wasn't going "that fast."
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
- Chrome for almost everything else including Bogleheads :) A lot of shopping sites try to get you to download their app - I find Chrome works perfectly fine on their mobile sites without the need for another app. I have a number of shortcuts for common places on my home screens - in addition to shopping sites I also have shortcuts for places like the movie theater (check on movie times, etc.).
I use and iPhone and find Safari to be adequate for many of these tasks. I've tried Chrome, but it seems slower to me. I use Safari whenever I can and avoid installing unnecessary apps whenever possible. All part of a simplification effort.

Security apps have made my phone indispensable. I have several 2nd factor apps like Google Authenticator.

Starbucks app. Still haven't hooked up Apple Pay, and haven't seen the need. And the Apple Wallet app is more trouble than it's worth at this time. Wish it was simpler to hookup all my points cards up (airline, hotel, etc.), but it used to involve installing apps for each one. Don't know if they've simplified yet.

Fitness tracker. Keeps me honest and motivated.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm

On my iPad: Kindle, Overcast (podcasts -- Apple's latest incarnation of their iOS-native podcast player bites hard), Symantec VIP Access (for Fidelity 2FA), Google Authenticator (multiple account 2FA)

On my iPhone: Kindle, Overcast, Delta Airlines app (or other airlines' apps if we happen to be flying them), Sky Guide (very cool astronomy VR), Skype (for comm while out of the country), Amazon Alexa (mainly for shopping lists)

ETA: also have Plex app on my iPad, connected to my home Plex server.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

batpot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm
Feedly is great for news feeds, but I mostly just use it for reddit
Another vote for Feedly!!! No way I could keep up on all my blogs across devices without it. Feedly and Fidelity are my 2 most used apps (aside from the browser). I live in a device iWorld just FYI :sharebeer

bayview

Post by bayview » Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm

KCSM radio and Bose SoundTouch.

KCSM is one of the few remaining non-commercial jazz radio stations. Our SoundTouch is a Bose speaker that plays KCSM’s stream.

We often stream on long car trips, as we pretty much hate commercial radio these days.

Other stations on my phone: WWOZ, WNCW and WDVX. (I have a sort of strange combination of musical tastes. :D )

KCSM from College of San Mateo (CA)
WWOZ from New Orleans
WNCW from Isothermal (really) Community College (NC)
WDVX from a little office in downtown Knoxville (TN)

Be prepared for fundraisers..,
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm

So here's my question - what apps am I missing out on related to finding travel deals, personal finance issues, miscellaneous.
Purely in the miscellaneous category and may not be mentioned much here:

Avenza Maps: Able to load up to three PDF maps into the free version. Provided the map is referenced to the grids, it will provide a variety of grid formats to points. You are also able to drop pins on the map with descriptors for certain points. I use this many times a day for work.

Yellow Book: Provides me with DODIC, Nomenclature, and hazard class of common munitions. I mainly use it to look up DODICs so I can speak the same language as the support folks. Use at least weekly for work.

Adobe Scan: Able to scan documents into a PDF and email it. Use at least weekly for work and personal.

WolframAlpha: A calculator that is many times smarter than I am. Use occasionally.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Yelp - I don’t go to a bar or restaurant without looking it up on Yelp first. Great if you’re in a unfamiliar city as well

SkipTheDishes - food delivery app

OpenTable - dinner reservations

Overcast - my favorite podcast app, and it’s free!

Google News - new for iPhone, if you use chrome and have a google account then this is an excellent news app

Weatherunderground - my favorite weather app. Unfortunately weather channel bought them so their Storm app is being replaced with weather channels crappy storm radar app

Strava - gps workout tracker

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 am

Many of these probably don't qualify as unique, but here are the ones I find most useful on my Android. I suspect this list will be forever changing...

Travel: Google Driving and Maps, Google Translate, Yelp (even though reviews can be pretty poor/biased) and weather (any brand)
Financial: my bank apps, broker app, CNBC and Morningstar
Other: Dashlane, most of the Google apps (Drive, Fit, Photos, Sheets, Pay), Amazon apps (Kindle, shopping, Alexa), YouTube, NY Times (paid), BBC News, Nextdoor (local social media), WhatsApp (messaging), PitchLab Pro (guitar tuner), and an app from my local utility that provides real-time electricity usage from my smart meter.

A couple of phenomenally useful utility apps that I use only when needed: Netgear's WiFi Analytics and Speedtest.

Currently playing with Google Tasks and Keep (notes and lists) to assess their personal value to me. Suspect I'll add them soon to my "most used" list.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

midareff wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm
I really like an app called Here We Go. I can download a detailed street map of any country, city, state or whatever to my phone or tablet and use them offline. Lost in Dublin, Odessa, Seattle, Moscow, Anchorage or where ever..... just open the app and enter the city detail you want, and find from there with no internet or data hook up. Just walk to a corner and find the intersection. We are taking an Odessa to Kiev Cruise next month and I've downloaded all of the Ukraine to have it available, as I did with several other countries and states.

I avoid financial sites on phones and tablets but do have LastPass on my phone and tablet just in case..
I use HereWeGo a lot - often in areas with weak or no cell service so the offline mode is a real benefit.

I would never use mobile devices for financial sites. Partly because I don't trust the security of these devices and partly because I don't need to - now that I don't travel for work it would be unlikely that I am away from home for more than two weeks so there really isn't a reason not to wait until I can use a secure device and network at home.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

...I would never use mobile devices for financial sites. Partly because I don't trust the security of these devices and partly because I don't need to - now that I don't travel for work it would be unlikely that I am away from home for more than two weeks so there really isn't a reason not to wait until I can use a secure device and network at home.
An interesting thought. I use my phone for financial sites all the time, but I am careful to only use WiFi at home.

When I am not home, I will only connect through the carrier, AT&T. If I lose money from someone in the AT&T network stealing my password, they have deep enough pockets to cover the losses.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am
jebmke wrote:

...I would never use mobile devices for financial sites. Partly because I don't trust the security of these devices and partly because I don't need to - now that I don't travel for work it would be unlikely that I am away from home for more than two weeks so there really isn't a reason not to wait until I can use a secure device and network at home.
An interesting thought. I use my phone for financial sites all the time, but I am careful to only use WiFi at home.

When I am not home, I will only connect through the carrier, AT&T. If I lose money from someone in the AT&T network stealing my password, they have deep enough pockets to cover the losses.
I hear you Dave but I use 14-16 character unique passwords I can't remember and use them (if I must) in LastPass mobile. I do have to remember to reset my allowed countries before I travel though.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
jebmke wrote:

I'm not confident that the apps are secure from each other. Which network you use wouldn't mitigate this risk, I think.

But I also have no need to look at my accounts online more than once or twice a month so doing it from home isn't a burden.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Exafchick

Post by Exafchick » Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Gas Buddy
Unblock me (to pass time while waiting in line!)
WeightWatchers (helps when grocery shopping)

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm

In addition to the major airline and hotel apps:

Flightaware Flightradar24 Expertflyer
Skyscanner Kayak Hopper hipmunk
Hoteltonight Loungebuddy
Rome2rio Citymapper
Google trips Google translate
Herewego WhatsApp viber xe
Agoda Nomadlist
AirBnb
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Yuba

Post by Yuba » Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm

CurlyDave wrote:

Except for that small problem of proving it was AT&T <grin>.

Rick dba Yuba

Post by 2015 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm

midareff wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm
I really like an app called Here We Go. I can download a detailed street map of any country, city, state or whatever to my phone or tablet and use them offline.
+1

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 pm

My latest toy is a phone charger for my car that has Alexa on it. It requires me to run an app on my phone for it to work. Ever since I got it, my 10-year-old car is suddenly voice controlled and modern. It can give me directions, play music or any podcast, or answer questions. If I am commuting to work and am want to calculate something, I no longer have to figure it out in my head. If I can articulate it, Alexa will solve it for me. I can ask it what time stores or restaurants close, so we won't waste a trip (and without looking it up ourselves on the cell.) It can even dial the phone or send text messages without me taking my eyes off the road.

It's called the Roav VIVA, and is made by Anker.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 pm

To the extent possible, I avoid using apps other than those from Apple. This is because apps do weird things like run in the backrground consuming battery and also try to be smart by wanting to know your location and possibly other info. So there's a trust issue. Instead, I access most services through the browser on my phone. This includes even access to bank accounts. Probably the most used app is an ad blocker which I'm not even aware of running but it blocks ads in the browser making the phone a lot more usable. Without the ad block, the phone is overwhelmed by ads. If a site needs me to whitelist it in order to access its contents, I learn to live without the site.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 am

I mostly use Android for personal use. I've had work iPhones. Most of these apps are available in both platforms.

Google Keep - I have a bunch of To Do lists and grocery/shopping lists, Christmas lists, bucket lists, project lists. Better than using a bunch of Post-It notes. I'm trying to move away from the Google ecosystem for privacy reasons, but Google Keep is just too useful.

E-mail: K-9 Mail - free and open source e-mail client. Lots of features. I'm trying this out to connect to my Microsoft/Google/Other providers instead of using the official Outlook and Gmail apps, mainly for privacy reasons and my affinity to the open source community.

Weather: Weather Underground, MyRadar Pro (with the hurricane paid add-on), RadarScope (super fancy technical raw data from radar...learning curve)

Two-factor Authentication: Currently using Authy. I like that I can protect it with a PIN. it has built-in cloud backup, but I don't use that out of paranoia. Also have to use Symantec VIP because PayPal, USAA, and Fidelity require it.

File Utilities: ES File Explorer Pro - very fancy and powerful file manager.

Multimedia: VLC Media Player, Plex.

Find My Car - used it in massive parking lots or when parking somewhere foreign or when traveling. (On iOS, I'd just drop a pin in Apple Maps.)

GoodRx - great for price comparisons if you pay cash for prescription drugs. Also decent for looking up side effects and basic information. For more detailed drug information, I use Epocrates (free).

Lookout Premium - $29.99/year and great anti-theft protection. I like the Theft alerts if the PIN is entered incorrectly or if the phone is rebooted, SIM card removed, etc it'll discretely take a photo of the "thief" and get the GPS lat/long and e-mail you the alert. Prey is also a great anti-theft app that takes more pictures discretely if your phone is marked stolen -- can build a more comprehensive police report.

MAPS.ME - good offline maps provided by OpenStreetMaps. The turn-by-turn directions aren't as good as Google Maps, but there's less privacy infringement, and the maps are open source. It's a good "backup" to download the entire country and not need to use your data plan.

Reference: Merriam-Webster (paid, full collegiate dictionary/thesaurus), Knots 3D (great animations on how to tie a ton of knots!), ElectroDroid (paid version, has lots of electronics references and pin-outs), Wolfram Alpha, Google Translate - I love the real-time Augmented Reality view...try it out on a Chinese or foreign menu sometime!

Communication: Signal. A very reputable, secure (audited) communications app. It's much better for Android since you can set it to be the default app to handle SMS text messages. iPhone requires Messages/iMessage, so Signal has to run separately. Can do end-to-end encrypted text messages, phone calls, and video calls. I've completely stopped using Skype.

Tasker - LOVE the automation it can do on Android! Sky's the limit.

Constitution, Federalist Papers, etc. Because 'Murica.

Travel: Yelp, TripAdvisor, MyTSA, FlightAware, official airlines apps

Networking/IT: Fing, WiFi Analyzer, Network Analyzer Pro, Netstat Plus, OpenVPN for Android (by Arne Schwabe), Orbot/Orfox, ConnectBot, Microsoft RDP

Automotive Repair: Torque Pro so I can connect my phone via Bluetooth to a cheap $25 OBD-II dongle I bought on Amazon. Plugs into my vehicle when there's a Check Engine Light, so I can find out what's wrong and reset the light.

Walmart - if you ever shop at Walmart, scan your receipts into Savings Catcher, and it'll automatically search if there's better prices in your local area and refund you the difference to an e-gift card. So far it's earned me a little over $100 in a year or two of shopping. Mostly from name brand groceries.

Password Manager: KeePass. Completely free and has tons of nerdy features. The full program is at https://keepass.info for Windows, Mac, Linux. It's more Do-It-Yourself compared to commercial solutions like LastPass, so you're responsible for syncing your password database between your computer(s) and your phone(s), but you can use Google Drive or any cloud storage or you can manually sync changes.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 am

Can't believe WAZE hasn't been mentioned yet! Although now owned by Google, it's much more useful, IMHO, than Google Maps. However, it's a heavy data user, so need to be careful if you have a limited cell data plan.
Retired 2017 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced) | Current WR 2.8%

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri May 18, 2018 8:38 am

sleepysurf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 am
Can't believe WAZE hasn't been mentioned yet! Although now owned by Google, it's much more useful, IMHO, than Google Maps. However, it's a heavy data user, so need to be careful if you have a limited cell data plan.
G Maps with lane guidance is unique. I love it when it says "Take the second lane from the left to turn left, then turn right". If I followed Waze "turn left" and used the far left lane, I won't be able to turn right after that!
I stopped using Waze when it kept rerouting me through local streets (left then right then left then left and so on!!) with each turn has a stop sign. instead of the highway that is straightforward, to just try to save 2 minutes! I usually end up wasting 5 more minutes than taking the crowded highway.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 am

I used to use Waze and finally concluded that it didn't add much value in my situation. In a lot of areas I travel there really aren't any alternatives if there is an accident or construction slow down so knowing about it doesn't produce any actionable information. I like the clean look and large type with HereWeGo. I don't use it often - sometimes only to find the route prior to leaving; I can usually remember up to seven turns without needing a reminder. That may change the older I get.