Retirement Communities w Great Weather and Low/No State Taxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
hawkfan55

Retirement Communities w Great Weather and Low/No State Taxes?

Post by hawkfan55 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Newly retired and looking for recommendations on retirement communities located in areas where one can live year round. Not too hot in summer or too cold in winter. Also want low or no state taxes on retirement savings withdrawals. Good healthcare and low crime also wanted.
Thought maybe northern Florida?
Thanks for your ideas!
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

edgeagg

Re: Retirement Communities w Great Weather and Low/No State Taxes?

Post by edgeagg » Wed May 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Washington State?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I suggest looking for places you want to live with lowER taxes, and not letting the tax tail wag the lifestyle dog.

I ended up in Sedona AZ with substantially lower taxes than the northeast.

There are those that find Florida weather great. I am not one of them.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Texas Hill country - near Austin, but not *in* Austin. ;)

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm

In general, low cost of living, low or moderate taxes, and generally warm whether can be found in the south Atlantic or states on the Gulf of Mexico.

However, in many of those areas the good weather comes with the catastrophe risk of major hurricanes or sometimes tornados. This exposure is worse if you are a property owner than if you are renting, but even senior tenants will want to avoid evacuating or having to move due to damages to the property.

After a lull caused by the great recession, the trend for those from the Northeast who moved to Florida moving north to Georgia, the Carolinas, or eastern TN has resumed, since those places may be preferable to FL in several areas other than state income taxes.

Do not overweight state income taxes because sales and property taxes can combine to offset the benefit of low or no state income taxes. However, the key to analyzing taxes is to model your own situation in terms of taxes. For your income, do you plan to own or rent property relatively low in value for that income or high in value? The latter situation may result in your preferred location being one with modest property taxes. When you rent, high taxes for the owner will be recovered in the form of higher rents.

Note that places perceived as ideal retirement places for the above reasons can become unpleasant if everyone moves there, since many such small towns are not able to handle a major influx of retirees. So look for places that maybe YOU will like but perhaps others not so much.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

hawkfan55 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm
Newly retired and looking for recommendations on retirement communities located in areas where one can live year round. Not too hot in summer or too cold in winter. Also want low or no state taxes on retirement savings withdrawals. Good healthcare and low crime also wanted.
Thought maybe northern Florida?
Thanks for your ideas!
Maybe somewhere like Reno?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed May 16, 2018 8:32 pm

As mentioned above I like Reno. No state income tax, low property taxes/insurance, weather is decent though cold in winter, and just 4 hours to SF/wine country.

I also like eastern TN. No state income tax there, reasonable weather, and friendly southern people.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

hawkfan55 wrote:
Not too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
"Hot" is a vague term. I'll take (and did take) 110 degrees in the day (with low humidity and 85 at night) over 90/90 (temp/humiidity) 24/7. It's also nice to not have swarms of mosquitos trying to eat me alive.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Great suggestions... Washington State, Texas Hill Country, Sedona, AZ, Reno, eastern Tennessee! I agree with Alan S that it is not wise to let the tax tail wag the dog.
DW and I would like to relocate to an active adult retirement community with lots of different outdoor activities such as golf, tennis, pickleball, bicycling, walking trails, learning opportunities such as photography, etc. We really don't want to own several homes to get away from the snow in the winter and to keep from sweltering in the summer heat. We were thinking Del Webb type of communities. Thanks for the suggestions... any others?
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 pm

hawkfan55 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 pm
Great suggestions... Washington State, Texas Hill Country, Sedona, AZ, Reno, eastern Tennessee! I agree with Alan S that it is not wise to let the tax tail wag the dog.
DW and I would like to relocate to an active adult retirement community with lots of different outdoor activities such as golf, tennis, pickleball, bicycling, walking trails, learning opportunities such as photography, etc. We really don't want to own several homes to get away from the snow in the winter and to keep from sweltering in the summer heat. We were thinking Del Webb type of communities. Thanks for the suggestions... any others?
The Del Webb community near Georgetown called Sun City is a great adult retirement community. My brother lives there and I have visited him at Sun City. Beautiful homes, friendly people, lots of activities with 2-3 golf courses. I played one course while there and it was beautiful. Homes are priced from the mid 200s to the 500s. I would likely be there now if not for the Grandkids in my current area.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

In my area, people like the North Georgia mountains. GA does have reduced taxes for those over 65 with income from retirement sources. Personally, I would cross the border into Eastern Tennessee where income taxes are zero.

retireearly

Post by retireearly » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

FIREchief wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm
hawkfan55 wrote:
Not too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
"Hot" is a vague term. I'll take (and did take) 110 degrees in the day (with low humidity and 85 at night) over 90/90 (temp/humiidity) 24/7. It's also nice to not have swarms of mosquitos trying to eat me alive.
+1
Weather/climate is so subjective. One's perfect climate is another person's siberia (maybe siberia is perfect for one?).

I love cool and crisp temps, think early-Nov in the northeast. Many find that unbearable to have for extended time. On the flip side, I cannot imagine anyone living in Florida, Vegas or Phoenix, etc.
Age:44/45, M kids 8/13. Current AA 75/25, working on final resting place for FI. Desired stock AA 50/50 but due to current valuations,current overweight Int.Tilt to US SCV, Int SC & EM

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am

rec7 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Maybe somewhere like Reno?
Not for low crime. Nevada has high crime rates and Reno is high for Nevada but that is probably partially because there are only two large metro areas in the state. The actual retirement communities there probably aren't so bad.