Etrading

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Theoldone

Etrading

Post by Theoldone » Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm

What is the best site for etrading?
Have never done it
Any tips, tricks ect

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Etrading

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Welcome! This may not be the best site to answer your question.

We invest in the entire market with a long-term buy-and-hold approach using low cost index funds. See: Bogleheads® investment philosophy

If you want more information, start here: Getting started
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Theoldone wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm
Have never done it
Any tips, tricks ect
What do you mean "etrading"?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Theoldone wrote:
Have never done it
Any tips, tricks ect
Maybe https://us.etrade.com/home ?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I have a good friend at Interactive Brokers. She does not recommend calling. So you should use them for e-trading.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Theoldone wrote:
Any tips, tricks ect
Tip: Don't do it with money that's important to you.

Trick: do it on paper first. Write down what you would buy, when, and for how much. Same with sales. Only allow yourself to write it down when you would have purchased. After a year or two, see if you made money or didn't.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Theoldone wrote:
Any tips, tricks ect
Welcome to the group.

It's spelled "etc" not "ect". ECT actually stands for electro convulsive therapy. It's what's used on people who are so chronically depressed and for whom no other treatments (therapy/medicine) has worked. Not to make light, but the more people e-trade, the more depressed they're likely to become.

I'm not picking on your spelling but trying to impress upon the fact that people who don't pay close attention to detail (spelling or otherwise) can wind up making some pretty big mistakes. Like this one:
'TWTRQ’ stock up as much as 1,800% as investors confuse Tweeter for Twitter.

Tweeter was a Boston-based consumer electronics chain that went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2007; its operating company eventually liquidated in 2008. But its memory lives on through those raised in the Boston area with cherished memories of going to concerts at the Tweeter Center (now renamed the Comcast Center).

And now its immortality is cemented in what has become a high-profile ticker.

source: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/20 ... r-twitter/
So, I'd take my time if I were you and make sure to cross all your "t"s and dot all your "i"s if you get my drift. Read, Read, Read at the links Lady Geek was generous enough to provide. Do this before you start investing any real money.

When people just jump in without doing their homework and due dilligence, they can make some big mistakes. You're just looking for "tips" and "tricks". That's how I know you haven't really done your homework.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

plyoung

Post by plyoung » Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Theoldone wrote:
Have never done it
Any tips, tricks ect
Robinhood offers commission-free trading. You can do it online or thru their mobile apps.