Maple syrup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Maple syrup

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I removed an off-topic post and several replies which questioned the removal of an earlier post. As a reminder, see: Member Rights in a Dispute, 2nd paragraph.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:06 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:58 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:17 am
Smucker's Sugar Free Syrup
You realize that it is a bottle of liquid Splenda with food coloring and some other chemicals, and not maple syrup, right? I used to love Michele's pecan flavored syrup until I realized that it was just corn syrup.
Nearly all maple flavored syrups contain maple extract generated from maple syrup to flavor the corn syrup.

Many years ago, in his first years of making maple syrup on his own after his father's death, my FIL made a batch of syrup from sugar maple trees that had started to bud. It produced a very bitter syrup that he could not sell. He ended up draining his evaporators and was looking to dispose of the bad syrup. He ended up selling it to one of the producers of maple flavored syrups who used it in their production. They took all 20 gallons.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm
Whats actually in our refrigerator right now appears to be (Costco) Kirkland, Grade A, "dark color," one liter. We're not picky. I simply enjoy living in a place where real maple syrup is easy to find. We usually buy the one-liter size, when we run out we buy more, in whatever place is convenient, and pay whatever the price happens to be.

Real maple syrup (100%) is incomparably better than any kind of "pancake syrup" or "table syrup" or maple-"flavored" anything. I don't know what we paid for it last time. It lasts a long time and we don't have any problem paying what it costs. I haven't tried to be scientific about it, but it is not as expensive as it seems because it has a much more intense flavor than Mrs. Butterworth's or what have you, and I use less of it.

I've heard that grade B tastes better than grade A but it's not easy to find. We tried it once and I didn't notice a difference. Nor do I notice any difference based on origin (Maine, Vermont, New York, or Canada).

But, seriously, the real stuff. The difference between maple syrup and maple-flavored syrup is ten times as much as the difference between any real maple syrup and any other real maple syrup. In my opinion.

PS I wouldn't swear to it in court but I think that when I was a little kid you could still get Log Cabin (fake) syrup in metal cans that were shaped and painted to look like a little log cabin. That's apropos of nothing and it wasn't as good as maple syrup but it was cute.
Log Cabin Syrup wasn't all fake. I don't know how old you are but when I was a little kid it was still 10% real maple syrup. A few years later they reduced it to only 2% real maple. I remember my mother remarking on it at the time. I don't know what their percentage is now, maybe I'll "Duck Duck Go" it and find out.

We buy only 100% real maple now, at Costco.

Edit: as might've been expected it appears Log Cabin Syrup is now 0% maple.

INGREDIENTS
Corn Syrup, Liquid Sugar (Natural Sugar, Water), Water, Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Lactic Acid), Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benzoate), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I was in a country store in Moultonborough, NH today and happened to see a gallon of syrup was $69 and a half gallon was $35, which is the same as what we pay in northern NH. We like the dark amber as it has more maple flavor.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:58 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:17 am
Smucker's Sugar Free Syrup
You realize that it is a bottle of liquid Splenda with food coloring and some other chemicals, and not maple syrup, right? I used to love Michele's pecan flavored syrup until I realized that it was just corn syrup.
Yes, but I have yet to find a brand of the "real stuff" that does not give me gut-wrenching pain in the belly within an hour or two of consumption. Better living through science with the liquid Splenda I guess, that stuff causes me no pain.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

cantos wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:06 pm
Buy local or make your own if at all possible. I can definitely taste the difference. To the point where I firmly believe store brands are watered down with corn syrup.
Funny you mentioned it, I had breakfast with family at Cracker Barrel on Mother's Day, and happened to check out the label on their small pancake syrup bottles. It was 55% maple syrup, 45% cane syrup.

Interestingly, Amazon features a product they label as "Cracker Barrel Pure Maple Syrup", but it's the same product they sell in the restaurant; if you zoom into the label, sure enough, it calls out a mix of maple and corn syrup. Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

To their credit, Cracker Barrel does not label their syrup as "maple syrup".
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Costco here too. Great value at $11-14 per 32 oz depending on the time of the year. I usually buy several when they are down at 10.99

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm
PS I wouldn't swear to it in court but I think that when I was a little kid you could still get Log Cabin (fake) syrup in metal cans that were shaped and painted to look like a little log cabin. That's apropos of nothing and it wasn't as good as maple syrup but it was cute.
I think you're right:
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed May 16, 2018 6:20 pm

wilked wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 am
Where does everyone buy?

What kind of price point ($/gal) do people pay?

We use a lot of syrup...
Most of the maple syrup we have used was given to us by friends (from their own trees).
The only other syrup we have used was a tiny $4 bottle from Stonewall Kitchen.

We pretty much never use syrup...

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm

America's Test Kitchen recommends the following maple syrups for serving:

- Maple Grove Farms 100% Pure Maple Syrup

- Camp Grade A Dark Amber Maple Syrup

and, for baking - Highland Sugarworks 100% Grade B Maple Syrup

Consumer Reports recommends the following maple syrups as "excellent" for serving:

- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Grade A Maple Syrup

- Spring Tree Pure Maple Syrup

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx