What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by 2015 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:23 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:35 am
While I wholeheartedly agree that focusing too heavily on credit card bonuses and cash back are detrimental to other things we need to focus on, I've personally found what feels like a good balance of having a handful of the right cards simply from the time I've spent here on Bogleheads where the information is largely aggregated and presented for me. I don't have to think all that hard about it because most everything I need to know is laid out here where I choose to spend some of my free time anyhow. The benefits I've gained from these cards per hour spent is certainly a better return than some of the tax-minimization threads I've waded through where it turns out people were saving a few tens of dollars for all their trouble! :)
Actually, for a while there chasing credit card and bank sign up bonuses was fun. It's just that this year I decided I've got too much going on to in too many other areas to devote the time.

OTOH, wading through tax threads, as you put it, has been well worthwhile. For one, it saved me $5K this year--and if someone up there like me--will afford me more tax savings if I ever get to TLH (I just can't seem to get the losses I'm looking for, market volatility notwithstanding). I found once I learned the basic principles of tax bracket management, it became easy to apply to going forward.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:24 pm

I have not played with credit card churning, maybe I should. I stay away from annual fee cards.

I look for cards rewards that I can use that don't cost me anything to hold.
I use:
Fidelity (2% rewards)
Amex blue cash (3% grocery shopping)
Marvel Synchrony Bank (3% on Dining, Select Entertainment)
TravElite, FNBO (3% on hotels , airlines and vacation rentals, $100 incidental airline expenses , 1.5% other), no longer open to new card holders.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 pm

ThePrince wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 am
Uber/Barclays has a new Visa which is totally free, $100 back after $500 in first 90 days, $50 towards annual online subscription, but best of all... 4% back on dining and 3% back on travel (also 2% online and 1% elsewhere). Redeemable for cash or Uber credits. I added this to go along with my Citi DoubleCash 2% everything card, since I use CC's mostly for food and often for travel.
I have this card too and it’s been an awesome experience thus far.
I signed up for the Uber card last night, instant approval, and eagerly awaiting its arrival. I haven't checked, but I hope there's no minimum redemption. Those are starting to drive me nuts.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:55 pm

rtr-molar-doc wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:06 am

Just wondering what kind of money some of you get back from your rewards programs on a yearly basis. $100's, $1000's or more?
Maybe $3,500 last year, tax-free, split about evenly between bank account and credit card signup bonuses. The 1%-3% points back is relatively insignificant, but better than a kick in the pants. It doesn't give me financial independence, obviously. But when an unexpected bill comes along - car, dental, home - I don't feel so bad about having to pay it, since I got some free money from elsewhere. Evens stevens, almost.

Whatever floats your boat at 62. But presumably you have spare time now to put your toe in the water and give it a shot.

P.S. Since I see you "have more money than time" it's probably not worth playing the game.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Credit card rewards are a game and fun for some. When I add credit card rewards to other forms of reward optimization, such as rewards checking accounts, brokerage transfer rewards, frequent flyer miles/promos, priority pass utilization, timeshare promos, rental car promos and savings, solar rebates and state and federal tax credits, etc, it adds up to a lot. Credit cards are just one part of a larger mosaic.

I am currently toying with the Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard (60k bonus miles and a half price companion fare), among others, but haven't decided I want to get back into juggling new card spending requirements.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm
Credit card rewards are a game and fun for some. When I add credit card rewards to other forms of reward optimization, such as rewards checking accounts, brokerage transfer rewards, frequent flyer miles/promos, priority pass utilization, timeshare promos, rental car promos and savings, solar rebates and state and federal tax credits, etc, it adds up to a lot. Credit cards are just one part of a larger mosaic.

I am currently toying with the Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard (60k bonus miles and a half price companion fare), among others, but haven't decided I want to get back into juggling new card spending requirements.
My husband and myself both got the Hawaiian card a year ago for those miles. It was only 50k at the time. Met the spending requirements with 2 mortgage payments through Plastiq. We haven't used the miles yet. The airfare is one thing, but the hotel room costs in Hawaii are crazy. We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.

Awardwallet is very useful for tracking miles/points expiration.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:17 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 pm
letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm

My husband and myself both got the Hawaiian card a year ago for those miles. It was only 50k at the time. Met the spending requirements with 2 mortgage payments through Plastiq. We haven't used the miles yet. The airfare is one thing, but the hotel room costs in Hawaii are crazy. We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.

We aren't familiar with Hawaiian Airlines program or their MasterCard (yet!), but can you keep the points/account active by using the charge card?
That works for both of the major programs we use, so the points can just sit there (or increase, due to the ongoing spending).

(Someone who helps us with the F awards ticketing pointed out that the Hawaii program might be useful to us in terms of transferring points, so we are going to look into it a bit more.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm

madbrain wrote:
We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.
I think JetBlue is their only domestic partner.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... l/a_id/528

I ended up transferring my Hawaiian miles (from a credit card a few years ago) to Hilton. 1 HA mile = 1.5 Honors points. Not great, but I just didn't have any opportunity to ever use them for a flight to Hawaii and then even moved from the Bay Area to a city without Hawaiian service.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... -flight%29
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:17 pm
We aren't familiar with Hawaiian Airlines program or their MasterCard (yet!), but can you keep the points/account active by using the charge card?
That works for both of the major programs we use, so the points can just sit there (or increase, due to the ongoing spending).
Yes, you can. But the card has an annual fee and in my case BofA wasn't interested in waiving it or offer any incentive to keep the card. So I canceled it. The earnings rate isn't worth putting spend on it and I didn't want to pay an annual fee for the sake of keeping the miles alive.

(there were other ways to keep the HA account active; I temporarily used some sort of search toolbar that added a mile for every three searches. Put it in a VM and occasionally used it just to generate a mile. But that was ultimately too much hassle. Could presumably credit an occasional car rental or shopping mall purchase to HA... but again, too much hassle if I was not really seeing a use for the miles)
Last edited by TravelGeek on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:26 pm

ResearchMed wrote:

(Someone who helps us with the F awards ticketing pointed out that the Hawaii program might be useful to us in terms of transferring points, so we are going to look into it a bit more.)
You can keep the miles from expiring by charging to the card, yes, as it will earn miles and reset the expiration clock. However, the Barclay Hawaiian card has an $89 annual fee. It was waived for the first year for our offer last year. I cancelled the card shortly thereafter. I have another 6 months to use my miles, or find a way to make a transaction. Looks like Magsformiles works for Hawaiian, so I may just end up using that as I have done in the past for other mileage programs with expiration dates. I just hate the wasted printed magazines that I don't have enough time to read. Guess I could just cancel them even though there is no refund on subscriptions paid with miles.

For my husband's account, he made a small purchase in the 12th month to earn 5 miles, which reset the expiration to 18 months on all his miles.

The $89 gets you OK benefits including travel insurance, but those were duplicate with our other AF cards (mainly CSR & BofA premium rewards at this point), sot there was no point in keeping these cards. The Barclay cards are just not competitive to keep in the long run, IMO, in terms of benefits vs annual fee. But they are good to churn.

Let me know what you find in terms of transfer options for Hawaiian.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:34 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm
madbrain wrote:
We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.
I think JetBlue is their only domestic partner.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... l/a_id/528

I ended up transferring my Hawaiian miles (from a credit card a few years ago) to Hilton. 1 HA mile = 1.5 Honors points. Not great, but I just didn't have any opportunity to ever use them for a flight to Hawaii and then even moved from the Bay Area to a city without Hawaiian service.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... -flight%29

Looks like KoreanAir might be the way to go for us. But it appears they only allow awards for roundtrips, which is a PITA. We have yet to visit South Korea and it's on our list, but we would not do a roundtrip as we tend to visit several places on our trips. The transpacific roundtrip requires 100,000 miles which we don't have in a single account. Otherwise, 30,000 miles for roundtrip within asia, but that would leave us with 20,000 miles each, which would only be good for a roundtrip within south Korea (15,000 miles).

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 pm

I haven’t studied the HA program in detail but verbally they claimed you can transfer miles between members for no fee. At 60k miles each, or 120k total, I think we could find 2-3 RT tickets to Hawaii. We go at least once a year so with some flexibility and advance purchase I’m hoping they would work out.

For the hotels, we find the timeshare promos to be the way to go. Just got back from 5 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village where the all in cost was $795, which included $200 toward a future hotel stay and $250 in resort credit, which we used to pay for food and parking. Pretty sweet deal. I’ve done a lot of these.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 pm
I haven’t studied the HA program in detail but verbally they claimed you can transfer miles between members for no fee.
If that's really true, then it would work out for us - one free transpacific roundtrip for 100K miles, and the other one paid.
At 60k miles each, or 120k total, I think we could find 2-3 RT tickets to Hawaii.
Yes, that sounds about right.
For the hotels, we find the timeshare promos to be the way to go. Just got back from 5 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village where the all in cost was $795, which included $200 toward a future hotel stay and $250 in resort credit, which we used to pay for food and parking. Pretty sweet deal. I’ve done a lot of these.
Thanks for the tip. When I was looking last year around Memorial day, even 2 months before, all the 4-5 star rooms with $300-$500 A night, plus tax. We didn't go to Hawaii because of this. No point in getting a free flight if we have to pay those prices for a room. $795 for 5 nights is a great price. How did you find those time shares ?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:06 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:26 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

You can keep the miles from expiring by charging to the card, yes, as it will earn miles and reset the expiration clock. However, the Barclay Hawaiian card has an $89 annual fee. It was waived for the first year for our offer last year. I cancelled the card shortly thereafter. I have another 6 months to use my miles, or find a way to make a transaction. Looks like Magsformiles works for Hawaiian, so I may just end up using that as I have done in the past for other mileage programs with expiration dates. I just hate the wasted printed magazines that I don't have enough time to read. Guess I could just cancel them even though there is no refund on subscriptions paid with miles.

For my husband's account, he made a small purchase in the 12th month to earn 5 miles, which reset the expiration to 18 months on all his miles.

The $89 gets you OK benefits including travel insurance, but those were duplicate with our other AF cards (mainly CSR & BofA premium rewards at this point), sot there was no point in keeping these cards. The Barclay cards are just not competitive to keep in the long run, IMO, in terms of benefits vs annual fee. But they are good to churn.

Let me know what you find in terms of transfer options for Hawaiian.
About the transfer options for Hawaiian points... I do need to double check the specifics, but it was for an international F service, something we wanted to give a try. And it might be one of those "Transfer Airline A to Airline B's program, and then from B's site [or sometimes, call], ticket on Airline C".
This is why we sometimes get help.
We barely have our learner's permit for some of this. :happy

We've been "sampling" several international F services, so we know what works best for us in the future, as we not only continue our much-belated serious vacation travel, but start increasing it considerably. Sooner or later, we'll automatically be "sampling" assorted business classes as well, when we run out of luck securing the F seats, or on on routes where there aren't actual F seats.
And of course, the best "value" for those awards tends to be in premium international.

This now works especially well for us, as we had already decided that for long-haul flights, we would indeed pay for business class, or... just not go. When we were younger, "coach" was quite fine, although we never traveled ultra-long-haul, so we can't say for sure about that "back then".
And the "extra cost" of the difference in points for First is relatively minimal (for us now, not back in the day, etc.), hence our F travel, or attempts to do so...
(There are some not-ultra-long-haul when the points vs. cash doesn't make as much sense, and for those, we'll pay cash for business or even First. We are about to arrange that for a trip next year. Some of those F tix to Asia would have cost so much if paid in cash, that there's not a chance in the world we'd have done that. Zero chance.)

Yeah, if there's a fee, and you'd just be sitting on the awards and adding minimal amounts, then that makes less sense.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm
Thanks for the tip. When I was looking last year around Memorial day, even 2 months before, all the 4-5 star rooms with $300-$500 A night, plus tax. We didn't go to Hawaii because of this. No point in getting a free flight if we have to pay those prices for a room. $795 for 5 nights is a great price. How did you find those time shares ?
I paid for all of my hotel rooms through hotel reward program points when I went to Hawaii in January. You can transfer points from some rewards programs to some hotel programs, which can let you accumulate enough points to pay this way. It can also be more cost-effective to transfer the points. For example, it cost me far less points to transfer Chase UR points to Hyatt's reward program and use the Hyatt points to book nights at the Kauai Grand Hyatt than it would have cost me to use the Chase UR points directly on the Chase travel portal. It's only 25k points per night to book that particular hotel through the Hyatt rewards program, and you don't pay resort fees there when you book with points.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:41 am

madbrain wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
I haven’t studied the HA program in detail but verbally they claimed you can transfer miles between members for no fee.
If that's really true, then it would work out for us - one free transpacific roundtrip for 100K miles, and the other one paid.
Apparently if the recipient is a Hawaiian Airlines credit card holder, transfers are free.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... n-accounts

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 am

I’m guessing many / most here are already familiar with rewards credit cards , but if you’re new to this, this article just popped up on CNBC:

Americans miss out on $22 billion in free travel

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/06/america ... cards.html
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 am

madbrain wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 pm
... As far as your answer, I used to have a flat Fidelity Amex 2% card and 1.5% Fidelity 1.5% VISA card . ...
You should be able to get that 1.5% Visa card converted to a 2% Visa card with a phone call to Fidelity.

pokebowl

Post by pokebowl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 am

madbrain wrote:

We haven't used the miles yet. The airfare is one thing, but the hotel room costs in Hawaii are crazy. We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.

Really depends on the island you want to go to and time of year. Oahu tends to have rather reasonable rates if you stay within the Waikiki area. Outside of that yeah outer islands can get pretty expensive depending on what you want. If you do make your way out here, I would recommend perhaps staying at a bed & breakfast. Usually when I island hop thats what I tend to do (If I cant crash on a friends couch). Last month when I went to Kauai for several days to hike, the cost of 3 night/4 days at a basic B&B ended up being less than what I would have paid for two nights down in the usual resort spots such as Koloa or Hanalei.

my two cents anyway.
There is nothing more expensive than something offered for free.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:41 am
madbrain wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
Apparently if the recipient is a Hawaiian Airlines credit card holder, transfers are free.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/ans ... n-accounts
This would have been great info to have 10 days ago, the date my husband cancelled his Hawaiian credit card.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:47 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 am
madbrain wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 pm
... As far as your answer, I used to have a flat Fidelity Amex 2% card and 1.5% Fidelity 1.5% VISA card . ...
You should be able to get that 1.5% Visa card converted to a 2% Visa card with a phone call to Fidelity.

I did. I have 2 Fidelity elan visa cards at 2 % cash back. Don't use them because the benefits suck. Only keep them open because they are some of our oldest accounts.
Last edited by madbrain on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 pm

pokebowl wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 am
madbrain wrote:

We haven't used the miles yet. The airfare is one thing, but the hotel room costs in Hawaii are crazy. We may need to figure out ways to use those miles on partner airlines, as we don't want to let 100k miles expire.

Really depends on the island you want to go to and time of year. Oahu tends to have rather reasonable rates if you stay within the Waikiki area. Outside of that yeah outer islands can get pretty expensive depending on what you want. If you do make your way out here, I would recommend perhaps staying at a bed & breakfast. Usually when I island hop thats what I tend to do (If I cant crash on a friends couch). Last month when I went to Kauai for several days to hike, the cost of 3 night/4 days at a basic B&B ended up being less than what I would have paid for two nights down in the usual resort spots such as Koloa or Hanalei.

my two cents anyway.
We went to Oahu many times so looking at the other islands. We go for the higher end properties, not basic B&B.
Another member PMed about some deals from big chains.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:02 pm

madbrain wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 pm
This would have been great info to have 10 days ago, the date my husband cancelled his Hawaiian credit card.
Do you still have yours to be the lucky recipient?

Otherwise, sometimes credit card companies allow reinstating of a canceled card. Not sure if that is worth it or if you’d end up paying an AF, in which case you might looking into getting a new card instead and collect the bonus (not sure if it is churnable).

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:02 pm
madbrain wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 pm
Do you still have yours to be the lucky recipient?

Otherwise, sometimes credit card companies allow reinstating of a canceled card. Not sure if that is worth it or if you’d end up paying an AF, in which case you might looking into getting a new card instead and collect the bonus (not sure if it is churnable).
No, mine was cancelled a while back unfortunately. Wouldn't be worth trying to reinstate, would have to pay the AF.
I think keeping the miles from expiring should be inexpensive enough (magsformiles worst case). Merging them would have been nice, but missed the boat this time. Maybe one of us can re-apply, but we would only do it if there is another signup bonus to collect or if AF is waived at least the first year. Will have to read about whether/when Barclay allows the bonus a second time.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm
madbrain wrote:
I paid for all of my hotel rooms through hotel reward program points when I went to Hawaii in January. You can transfer points from some rewards programs to some hotel programs, which can let you accumulate enough points to pay this way. It can also be more cost-effective to transfer the points. For example, it cost me far less points to transfer Chase UR points to Hyatt's reward program and use the Hyatt points to book nights at the Kauai Grand Hyatt than it would have cost me to use the Chase UR points directly on the Chase travel portal. It's only 25k points per night to book that particular hotel through the Hyatt rewards program, and you don't pay resort fees there when you book with points.
Thanks, great tip. I have yet to stay in any Hyatt. I created a Hyatt account just for purposes of UR and Amex point transfers, but never found a worthwhile redemption. I haven't looked too hard. For hotels, we have typically redeemed UR points at 1.5cpp, as we have for some flights too for destinations the miles couldn't get us to - or too conveniently, with extra stops and/or long layovers. I get grumpy enough on a our 21-27 hours one-way trips from home to final destination to Asia, wouldn't want to do it 35 to 50+ hours.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am

madbrain wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:47 pm
...I did. I have 2 Fidelity elan visa cards at 2 % cash back. Don't use them because the benefits suck. Only keep them open because they are some of our oldest accounts.
Can you elaborate?

We have a Fidelity 2% CB card and use as our general purpose "cash back" card - where we don't get more cash back using a different card, such as AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (Groceries), Discover (rotating categories), Amazon Store Card, Pen Fed Cash Rewards (gas).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am

I am hitting the Citi AA credit cards pretty hard. Wife and have each opened four in the past 5 months - 2 personal and 2 business each. We will have about 500,000 miles combined. Citi seems to be the last issuer that allows the old style churning, but you have to use the 9 digit mailers in order to get multiple cards, there is 24 month language on the public offers.

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am
I am hitting the Citi AA credit cards pretty hard. Wife and have each opened four in the past 5 months - 2 personal and 2 business each. We will have about 500,000 miles combined. Citi seems to be the last issuer that allows the old style churning, but you have to use the 9 digit mailers in order to get multiple cards, there is 24 month language on the public offers.
Are you receiving those mailers or sourcing them from somewhere else?

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm

DiMAn0684 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am
Are you receiving those mailers or sourcing them from somewhere else?
We each signed up for one personal and one business through the normal public links. I kept reading about these "mailers" and finally found the code sharing thread on Reddit. Foolishly bought one code ($25) to use for both wife and I, then realized that people were giving them away, which we utilized for our next round. I recently created two new AA accounts with different names / same address - word is it takes 4-5 months, but soon the mailers will arrive at my house.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:38 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am
madbrain wrote:
...I did. I have 2 Fidelity elan visa cards at 2 % cash back. Don't use them because the benefits suck. Only keep them open because they are some of our oldest accounts.
Can you elaborate?

We have a Fidelity 2% CB card and use as our general purpose "cash back" card - where we don't get more cash back using a different card, such as AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (Groceries), Discover (rotating categories), Amazon Store Card, Pen Fed Cash Rewards (gas).
By benefits I mean things like price matching, extended warranty, and so on. Not just availability of benefits, but the ease of using them.

Even the cash back rewards has a minimum amounts of points for redemption, which is no longer there on many other cards. This is not an issue if you use the Fidelity card only or mostly, but if you use several cards, it can mean that you won't be able to redeem rewards for a long time.

In terms of straight 2% cash back card, I would say the Citi double cash is superior to the Fidelity card in just about every way.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

sco

Post by sco » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am
madbrain wrote:
Can you elaborate?

The 2% Fidelity is my default, of course occasionally I'll use an amex or visa etc if there is something special, or a warranty or something. But my Fidelity is still netting a reward of 50-100 every month or 2.

Some things like utilities and phone bills, etc. just don't benefit by using something else.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 am

sco wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm
Some things like utilities and phone bills, etc. just don't benefit by using something else.
Phone bills get 5 UR points per dollar with my no-fee Chase Ink Cash. Redeemed for travel at 1.5cpp with my Sapphire Reserve, that's 7.5% back.
My other utilities (PG&E, San Jose water) don't accept credit cards unless I pay a fee, making them a poor choice for rewards, except to meet signup bonuses.
However, I have switched the cell phone bill to Wells Fargo due to the cell phone insurance, which has paid back in excess of 200% so far in claims.

sco

Post by sco » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am

madbrain wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 am
sco wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm
Phone bills get 5 UR points per dollar with my no-fee Chase Ink Cash. Redeemed for travel at 1.5cpp with my Sapphire Reserve, that's 7.5% back.
My other utilities (PG&E, San Jose water) don't accept credit cards unless I pay a fee, making them a poor choice for rewards, except to meet signup bonuses.
However, I have switched the cell phone bill to Wells Fargo due to the cell phone insurance, which has paid back in excess of 200% so far in claims.
It is very dependent on personal situation though, I guess. For whatever reason all my bills except City Sewer/Trash will accept CC with no surcharge.

My Cell phone bill for the entire household (1 phone), is $38/mth. So to me, the difference between 2% and even 7.5% (I didn't realize you could get it that high), is still not worth carrying another card for.

I will however buy new phone devices on my Amex, and use whatever is beneficial for the occasional car rental, plane tickets, etc depending on teh benefit. But hte cash back tends to not really be an issue on those items.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am

rtr-molar-doc wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm
Da5id wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm
rtr-molar-doc wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 am
Thanks for your time and getting back to me on this. I honestly had no idea what kind of rewards/money people were talking about or getting. To me that kind of reward/money simply wouldn't be worth my(and my wife's time). We don't consume or spend that much these days. 1-2K per year would simply not be worth our time. I would rather put the time toward my business and earn more money. I can see where it would probably make sense and help for many people, but at my age I have more money than time.
That's fair. Just keep in mind that it takes almost no effort or time to find a single card with good consumer protections for those purchases that could use automatic extended warranty protection, accidental damage insurance, or so on. That at least might be worth considering rather than paying cash for certain items.
Also to some of us 1-2K is more than others. molar-doc doesn't feel it is lots of money for the effort, which is a personal judgment. I spend a maybe few hours a year messing with card applications/cancellations for that $1000-$2000 dollars of sign up and spending bonuses. It feels worth my time on an hourly basis.
Just wondering how you invested the nearly $19,000.00 you say you got in 'rewards'? Suspect it is all gone because it was consumed. Everyone always says they would have spent the amount ANYWAY - rationizaion again! If you show me a way to put $19K in my bank account/etc - money that I can invest - I will look into it. If it is only used as more 'consumable stuff', it doesn't interest me.
I am on a very tight budget...I can guarantee you that I don't spend more than I would with cash as there would be no more to spend and we have a very high savings rate, especially for as little as we make. I record my transactions in my budget as I go and always know exactly how much I have left in each category. Each card autopays always and I don't ever carry a balance. I don't apply for cards with miles at this point as trying to take 12 people anywhere with miles is just not worth it. I do apply for cash cards though and invest every bit of the cash back in kids' college funds. I usually end up with around 1500 to 2000 a year in cash back (depending on how big our medical expenses are)....and I've been doing this for the last 17 years. Even on our budget, we are talking about thousands of dollars. If the card gives a statement credit instead of cash (going into my bank account, I still treat it as cash and do a dummy transaction in my budget so that I invest the credit amount.

Whether or not you spend more with cards is about personal discipline, not about the actual use of cards themselves. Free money is free money and I don't think the learning curve was that high for what we've made off the cards.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm
The Barclay Arrival Premier looks awful. I fully expect to cancel my Arrival+ when the annual fee comes due. Barclay perfectly created a card that is worth it to abuse in the first year and utterly worthless in year 2 and beyond. 2 Miles back that are hard to redeem versus a Citi Doublecash? Now it appears they are making it even worse.
Curious if you could expand on this a little more.... I actually concluded it was our best option. So long as you're sure you'll spend more than $25k, it's a flat $100/year better than the Double Cash. And while the travel credits are a little annoying, my previous card was the Discover Escape which had almost the same redemption method. That was the main thing making me consider the Double Cash over this card, but ultimately the $100/year + no FTF swayed me.

I could perhaps have done better with the Double Cash combined with the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but our travel+dining spending is right about the break-even for that to have come out better, and the WAF of different cards for different categories is fairly low in my house. (The WAF of changing cards is practically nil; we changed this time because Discover discontinued the Escape card out from under us.)
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am

archbish99 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm
The Barclay Arrival Premier looks awful. I fully expect to cancel my Arrival+ when the annual fee comes due. Barclay perfectly created a card that is worth it to abuse in the first year and utterly worthless in year 2 and beyond. 2 Miles back that are hard to redeem versus a Citi Doublecash? Now it appears they are making it even worse.
Curious if you could expand on this a little more.... I actually concluded it was our best option. So long as you're sure you'll spend more than $25k, it's a flat $100/year better than the Double Cash. And while the travel credits are a little annoying, my previous card was the Discover Escape which had almost the same redemption method. That was the main thing making me consider the Double Cash over this card, but ultimately the $100/year + no FTF swayed me.

I could perhaps have done better with the Double Cash combined with the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but our travel+dining spending is right about the break-even for that to have come out better, and the WAF of different cards for different categories is fairly low in my house. (The WAF of changing cards is practically nil; we changed this time because Discover discontinued the Escape card out from under us.)
I am assuming you mean the Arrival Premier. If you are spending $25,000+ on credit cards a year and just want one set it and forget it card, then the Arrival Premier might make sense for you. If I am spending that much, though, Iw would prefer to take advantage of some of the big sign up bonuses like the British Airways Avios $10,000 minimum spend that occasionally appears for 100,000 Avios or the (not not offered at the high bonus level) SPG Business for $7,500 spend and 35,000 Starponts, which are extremely valuable currency. Applying for just one new card a year with a somewhat decent sign up bonus and using the Double Cash would be a better bet. If you are planning to use the Arrival Premier for everything, your 5/24 status can't be too high and you could apply for the Sapphire Preferred card with the sign up bonus. The Arrival Premier is targeting people who want simplicity and will spend to one of the two thresholds at the very least, but not for people looking to maximize earnings.

Even if you used the Double Cash for everything and used the American Express Blue Cash Preferred for $6,000 in groceries, which is 6% back on those purchases, use a travel/dining card (even the Uber card from Barclays would work if you didn't want the CSP/CSR) and Doublecash for non-bonused spend would put you ahead of just using the Arrival Premier.

You didn't want Discover It for the 5% rotating categories?

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am
I am assuming you mean the Arrival Premier. If you are spending $25,000+ on credit cards a year and just want one set it and forget it card, then the Arrival Premier might make sense for you. If I am spending that much, though, Iw would prefer to take advantage of some of the big sign up bonuses like the British Airways Avios $10,000 minimum spend that occasionally appears for 100,000 Avios or the (not not offered at the high bonus level) SPG Business for $7,500 spend and 35,000 Starponts, which are extremely valuable currency. Applying for just one new card a year with a somewhat decent sign up bonus and using the Double Cash would be a better bet. If you are planning to use the Arrival Premier for everything, your 5/24 status can't be too high and you could apply for the Sapphire Preferred card with the sign up bonus. The Arrival Premier is targeting people who want simplicity and will spend to one of the two thresholds at the very least, but not for people looking to maximize earnings.

Even if you used the Double Cash for everything and used the American Express Blue Cash Preferred for $6,000 in groceries, which is 6% back on those purchases, use a travel/dining card (even the Uber card from Barclays would work if you didn't want the CSP/CSR) and Doublecash for non-bonused spend would put you ahead of just using the Arrival Premier.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the highlighted portion. :wink: I'm a person who wants to maximize earnings married to someone who values simplicity. If I were single, I would probably pursue something similar -- I've had the BCP on my radar for a while (though we've started shopping at Fred Meyer, which many people cite as not getting counted for the 6%), but asking my wife to use different cards for different purposes doesn't fly very far, and even less so if they're changing every few months.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 am

archbish99 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 am
I think you hit the nail on the head with the highlighted portion. :wink: I'm a person who wants to maximize earnings married to someone who values simplicity.
Same here :) I tried stickers on the multiple card. Didn't help my husband pick the right card for each case, unfortunately.
If I were single, I would probably pursue something similar -- I've had the BCP on my radar for a while (though we've started shopping at Fred Meyer, which many people cite as not getting counted for the 6%), but asking my wife to use different cards for different purposes doesn't fly very far, and even less so if they're changing every few months.
Well, one possibility is adding your wife as authorized user to any new account. Then just swap the one card in her wallet with another one when the time comes (for signup bonus, rotating category bonus on something that's a big part of her spending, etc). As long as she only has one card in her wallet and doesn't need to worry about which one to use, she shouldn't really care.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53 am

madbrain wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 am
archbish99 wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head with the highlighted portion. :wink: I'm a person who wants to maximize earnings married to someone who values simplicity.
Same here :) I tried stickers on the multiple card. Didn't help my husband pick the right card for each case, unfortunately.
If I were single, I would probably pursue something similar -- I've had the BCP on my radar for a while (though we've started shopping at Fred Meyer, which many people cite as not getting counted for the 6%), but asking my wife to use different cards for different purposes doesn't fly very far, and even less so if they're changing every few months.
Well, one possibility is adding your wife as authorized user to any new account. Then just swap the one card in her wallet with another one when the time comes (for signup bonus, rotating category bonus on something that's a big part of her spending, etc). As long as she only has one card in her wallet and doesn't need to worry about which one to use, she shouldn't really care.
In the same boat as archbish99. As madbrain suggested, when it makes sense to use a different card for a period of time, I simply hand my wife the appropriate card and she gives me back the one she has been using. This seems to work ok for her. She bristled at first, but has since gotten used to it. Usually the only swapping is when discover or chase offer their 5% bonus on groceries - in which case we use that (up to the $1,500 limit) in place of our AMEX blue cash preferred.

DW basically uses three different cards for most things - a 5% cash back card for gas, a 6% cash back card for groceries and a 2% cash back card for everything else (other than store specific cards). I have a CSR card, so I use that whenever we travel or eat out.
Last edited by MikeG62 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

I put a small piece of paper in my wife's wallet that she sees when she opens it. It says exactly what to use for that quarter. Right now it says:

Use Citi DC XXXX except for:
GAS - Costco
GROCERIES - Chase
COSTCO - Fidelity
RESTAURANTS - Costco

99% of her transactions will be fine. She doesn't love it, but when I showed her the total of cashback we received in 2017, she was fine with it.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Next month, I will finally be under 5/24. I plan to apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. That will put me back at 5/24 again. I am wondering about any great cards in the past 24 months I have missed out on that I should be looking at now? Perhaps cards that count toward 5/24, but are still approved over 5/24 (i.e. not as restrictive as the CSR).

I have the usual suspects - Chase Ink, Chase Freedom, as many Amex cards as I need and a scattering of various hotel cards...have really started to rack up the hotel spend, so focusing there too now for 2018.

Any other cards to suggest?? Thank you

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 pm
Next month, I will finally be under 5/24. I plan to apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. That will put me back at 5/24 again. I am wondering about any great cards in the past 24 months I have missed out on that I should be looking at now? Perhaps cards that count toward 5/24, but are still approved over 5/24 (i.e. not as restrictive as the CSR).

I have the usual suspects - Chase Ink, Chase Freedom, as many Amex cards as I need and a scattering of various hotel cards...have really started to rack up the hotel spend, so focusing there too now for 2018.

I would double dip on the CSR and CSP in an incognito window/separate computer. As long as you apply one after the other, you can get them both. As long as you can meet borsht minimum spends.
archbish99 wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am

I think you hit the nail on the head with the highlighted portion. :wink: I'm a person who wants to maximize earnings married to someone who values simplicity. If I were single, I would probably pursue something similar -- I've had the BCP on my radar for a while (though we've started shopping at Fred Meyer, which many people cite as not getting counted for the 6%), but asking my wife to use different cards for different purposes doesn't fly very far, and even less so if they're changing every few months.
If you are okay with a Business Card, I would still go with the Blue Business Plus from American Express, especially with a sign up bonus, even if it is just 10,000 Membership Rewards points. Get 2 membership rewards points for every dollar spent. I believe up to $50,000 per year. The partners are much better than the Barclay card and no annual fee. The Arrival Premier is likely to flop horribly since people are averse to paying annual fees to begin with and there are much better cards for lesser fees. They will probably put in a sign up bonus once they realize their card gets absolutely no traction.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am
I put a small piece of paper in my wife's wallet that she sees when she opens it. It says exactly what to use for that quarter.
I don’t think my wife would be interested in this. I got her an authorized user card for my Amex originally for Costco shopping, which she uses for Hilton hotel stays if she is on a rare solo trip, but the rest of her charges goes on her BA Visa. I generally pay for dining, most travel and many other items. She appreciates the business class award tickets and the hotel lounge access, but would unlikely be excited about actively playing the game. I don’t have a problem with that.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 pm

can you get business cards? If so, get ink business(80k bonus). This won't count towards 5/24, so then get the reserve

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Q: Does the Costco Anywhere Visa from Citi code Costco Food Court purchases as restaurant (3%) or just regular Costco purchases (2%)?

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Any thoughts on IHG devaluing the free night to just those under 30,000 points and I think the annual fee is going up to $89 from $49?

Also, thoughts on changes with SPG starting 8/1? should you convert your spg miles before then?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

d0gerz wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm
Q: Does the Costco Anywhere Visa from Citi code Costco Food Court purchases as restaurant (3%) or just regular Costco purchases (2%)?
You must be buying a lot of $0.99 hot dogs :sharebeer

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm

travellight wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm
Any thoughts on IHG devaluing the free night to just those under 30,000 points and I think the annual fee is going up to $89 from $49?

Also, thoughts on changes with SPG starting 8/1? should you convert your spg miles before then?
Conversion won't matter you'll still get 3:1 and 60,000 Marriott Rewards points will turn into 25,000 airline miles. Not sure about United miles though. I wonder if those will come up to the same rate considering Marriott and United's relationship.

The earnings of the new card are what will be affected--you only earn 2 Marriott Reward Points per $1 spent with the SPG card come 8/1 vs the 1 Starpoint/3 Marriott Rewards you earn today.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

travellight wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm okay with the IHG devaluation. 30k points is still a good deal if the annual fee remains at $49. OTOH, if they raise the annual fee, I will probably cancel the card. No point in keeping it just to save ~$50/year (cash rate of 30k pt room - $89 annual fee).

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm
d0gerz wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm
You must be buying a lot of $0.99 hot dogs :sharebeer
99-cent hot dogs? My local Costco charges $1.50.

TravelforFun