Medical Insurance for visiting the US

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
wije

Medical Insurance for visiting the US

Post by wije » Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 pm

My 69 year-old mother-in-law is visiting the US from another country for about four months, and I don't think my plan will cover her because it's "Self Plus One." Has anyone here had experience getting travel medical insurance for visiting relatives or friends?

msk

Re: Medical Insurance for visiting the US

Post by msk » Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 pm

I do not recognize a major problem. Just let her buy travel insurance in her home country. Normally there is no problem for those under 70 and for up to 90 days holiday. Such insurance never seems to cover pre-existing conditions and you will probably have to negotiate to get cover for 4 months.

sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita » Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm

https://www.globalunderwriters.com/

I haven't used them but online reviews, to the extent they can be trusted, are good.

thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd » Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm

You might look into this:

https://www.roughguides.com/travel-insurance/

I haven't used them because they would be secondary, but should be reputable.
Thursday's child has far to go

twinDad

Post by twinDad » Sun May 21, 2017 8:24 pm

We have regularly used insubuy.com to purchase visitor insurance for our family that visit US. They offer quotes online that can customized by coverage and limits, need and your pocket book. Thankfully, we have not had to use much and always cover tests and basic doctor visits out of pocket as we choose higher deductibles. My father in law did need care once when the urgent care facility directed us to a hospital emergency. It turned out to be hives and high blood pressure. The hospital waived about 80% of the total cost and we ended up paying 20% for doctors / tests and medication. It was just above our deductible(1K) , so we chose not to pursue the insurance. It does offers us peace of mind about any large medical expenses during their stay.

vveat

Post by vveat » Mon May 22, 2017 2:27 pm

twinDad wrote:We have regularly used insubuy.com to purchase visitor insurance for our family that visit US. They offer quotes online that can customized by coverage and limits, need and your pocket book. Thankfully, we have not had to use much and always cover tests and basic doctor visits out of pocket as we choose higher deductibles. My father in law did need care once when the urgent care facility directed us to a hospital emergency. It turned out to be hives and high blood pressure. The hospital waived about 80% of the total cost and we ended up paying 20% for doctors / tests and medication. It was just above our deductible(1K) , so we chose not to pursue the insurance. It does offers us peace of mind about any large medical expenses during their stay.

Another vote for insubuy. Good choices of policies, I usually pick one where ER visits are 100% covered. Last time the cost was ~$8 per day for a person over 70.

We had bad experience using an insurance from home country some years ago. They declined claiming it was a preexisting condition, which it most certainly wasn't. I didn't really mind the $2k cost for my dad, but I very much minded that the insurance people asked them to make notarized translations of all medical documents before declining - at a fair hassle and expense to 2 elderly people. Better get a local insurance here in the US where I can deal with such issues.

mak17f

Post by mak17f » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am

I am in a similar situation now looking to buy insurance for my parents visiting the US for a few months. They are both under 70 and are in good health. I'm mostly concerned with emergencies and unexpected events rather than with chronic conditions. Insubuy has lots of options, so I will probably pick there. However, I have a few questions about policies.

Did you guys go with fixed or flexible policies? Why? What coverage amounts did you pick? They range from $50K to $2M. Thanks!

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 am

Get local insurance in the US. It will be hassle free compared to travel insurance claim in case of emergency.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 am

Travel insurance from the home country should include medivac back to the home country (where they are then taken care of by the national health system and their primary insurance). US based insurance may end up stranding them in the US.

I'm not sure exactly what local insurance would be available in the US but in my experience US based services aim at US customers are extraordinarily parochial with respect to non-US persons.

orangeandwhite

Post by orangeandwhite » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

wije wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 pm
My 69 year-old mother-in-law is visiting the US from another country for about four months, and I don't think my plan will cover her because it's "Self Plus One." Has anyone here had experience getting travel medical insurance for visiting relatives or friends?
We need to do this fairly often. Seven Corners has a variety of options that are focused on this market.

Check that the hospital you would likely use is included.

Be prepared for it to be a decent chunk of change.

thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

I have used Seven Corners traveling from the US, imagine they would be fine going the other way. I would also look at World Nomads.

I agree that it makes more sense to buy travel insurance in the country of your residence, especially as you should include evacuation/repatriation coverage.

Given the outrageous cost of US health care I would not consider $50K adequate.
Thursday's child has far to go