Any experience with Blue Apron?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Earl Lemongrab

Any experience with Blue Apron?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 am

I'm a pretty decent home cook, and I want to get back to doing more now that I have more free time. I'm not the typical customer for the meal delivery services, but Blue Apron has a $30 off deal for the first order. I am thinking about trying it out really more for some experiences in things I don't normally prepare and possibly use or adapt the recipes. So I don't know if I will be using it long term or not.

Reading reviews, many people have expressed unhappiness with trouble cancelling the service. One way I could protect myself would be to use my BOA card with the one-time number with spending limit and set if for the amount of the first order. Then the worst I'd be is stuck with three weeks or whatever the initial order size is.

I'd be interested in hearing any recent experience the fine folks here have had, especially in cancelling or skipping deliveries.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

FlyAF

Re: Any experience with Blue Apron?

Post by FlyAF » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

Tried it recently for a few weeks, didn't care for it, and had no problem whatsoever cancelling it. The food is good and I liked how you get to cook with ingredients that you've often never heard of. I didn't like that the recipes take AT LEAST double the amount of time that they claim. The meals are not particularly healthy which is a deal breaker for me. Lastly, I could only get my delivery on Wednesday which is ultimately why I ditched it, I wanted it to use M-F. The delivery day has to do with the area, so not their fault really.

It's worth trying, cancelling is easy.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 am

I use Blue Apron with my (young vegetarian) daughter. I perhaps do it once every six weeks or so for a variety from my cooking efforts. It is also fun to cook something different with her on weekends.

I have had no problem skipping deliveries. I usually just login, make sure all orders are skipped as far out as I can see (usually six weeks or so). I use a virtual number from my AT&T credit card to forestall any problems if I forget to stop an order (which I never have).

I do wish there were more vegetarian offerings -- of the eight offered each week, only three are vegetarian and that's all you can get. I do pick a meat-based one every once in a while and keep the second serving for leftovers for myself.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am

Don't really see the appeal.
Seems expensive and wasteful in many regards.

I don't buy this 'I'm too busy to go to the supermarket" nonsense that supporters of these services seem to claim either.

Post by 3.141592653589793238 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 am
I'm a pretty decent home cook, and I want to get back to doing more now that I have more free time. I'm not the typical customer for the meal delivery services, but Blue Apron has a $30 off deal for the first order. I am thinking about trying it out really more for some experiences in things I don't normally prepare and possibly use or adapt the recipes. So I don't know if I will be using it long term or not.

Reading reviews, many people have expressed unhappiness with trouble cancelling the service. One way I could protect myself would be to use my BOA card with the one-time number with spending limit and set if for the amount of the first order. Then the worst I'd be is stuck with three weeks or whatever the initial order size is.

I'd be interested in hearing any recent experience the fine folks here have had, especially in cancelling or skipping deliveries.
I've used Blue Apron since May 2016. I think the variety could be slightly better, but overall I am satisfied. I have had no issues skipping deliveries, but have never tried to cancel. Overall, I would say it's worth giving them a try. From my experience, I highly doubt they would do anything shady to try and lock you in to something you didn't want.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

Way too much trash generated and the food was just ok. The directions were easy enough. Washing the goo from the ice packs down the sink was annoying as well. We had no trouble cancelling but my wife did forget to cancel before we had to receive and pay for the second delivery.

If you can cook for yourself but sometimes lack inspiration, just look at their menus and find your own recipes.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am

SuperGrafx wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am
Don't really see the appeal.
Seems expensive and wasteful in many regards.
I've explained my purpose for considering it. Please let's not derail the conversation with discussion about the reasons for trying the service and stick with actual experiences.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Tue May 15, 2018 10:44 am

We use it to add variety to the normal meals we make. If we don't like the options we pause it, just make sure to do it in time, otherwise they will select meals for you. I believe it's 6 days in advance of the delivery with a noon cut off. If you click around, it's pretty easy to skip and it's clear when you have to skip by. I've been happy with most of the options, it's made us better cooks, and cut down on the amount we spend dining out.

Most subscribers can get you a better deal than $30 off your first order. I believe a referral is for a free week ($59.94) and the person who refers you gets $30 paid as $10 over 3 weeks. I also buy discounted BlueApron gift cards from Costco to further reduce our costs. Right now its 2 x $50 for $79.99 but periodically it's $64.99.

PM me with your email address if you want me to send a free invite.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am

I've used their competitor Hello Fresh. They also offer coupons for the first month or first delivery or something like that. So you might consider trying them after Blue Apron. I liked Hello Fresh. My family had gotten into a bit of a rut, making the same 10 dishes or so over and over again. Hello Fresh introduced us to some new ingredients and new cooking methods that we have since integrated into our routine. Once you subscribe, you can turn the service on or off really easily using the website -- you do have to remember to do it, which is the rub. If you don't turn it off each week, they will automatically ship you the default selections for that week. We always got our deliveries on Saturday, no problem there. We only had a problem with the food quality once. We received some obviously bad chicken. I called up Hello Fresh and they credited our account for the cost of that entire week's delivery, i.e., we got a free box, and apologized profusely for the chicken. I have since stopped the deliveries because I found the recipes/meals repeating. But I enjoyed it while we used it.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:49 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am
I've used their competitor Hello Fresh. They also offer coupons for the first month or first delivery or something like that. So you might consider trying them after Blue Apron. I liked Hello Fresh. My family had gotten into a bit of a rut, making the same 10 dishes or so over and over again. Hello Fresh introduced us to some new ingredients and new cooking methods that we have since integrated into our routine. Once you subscribe, you can turn the service on or off really easily using the website -- you do have to remember to do it, which is the rub. If you don't turn it off each week, they will automatically ship you the default selections for that week. We always got our deliveries on Saturday, no problem there. We only had a problem with the food quality once. We received some obviously bad chicken. I called up Hello Fresh and they credited our account for the cost of that entire week's delivery, i.e., we got a free box, and apologized profusely for the chicken. I have since stopped the deliveries because I found the recipes/meals repeating. But I enjoyed it while we used it.
I have used Hello Fresh and Blue Apron for the same reasons: to add some variety and get some inspiration once in a runt. Blue Apron seemed to be more "fancy" while Hello Fresh was more "main stream" and "safer" meals.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 am

We've used several of their recipes, and they always seem to come out really nicely. We haven't actually ordered anything from them, though.

texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am

Tried it for a few months but found that I was spending too much time working on items that were more "decorative" than adding to the overall taste of the food. Also, my experience matched the earlier comments about it taking longer than the recipe card showed (although I'm not sure twice as long).

I'd encourage you to go ahead and try it to see if it might be something you would enjoy.

Good luck

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm

My wife and I tried it for a few months but eventually cancelled. The food was decent but, as others have noted above, the prep times were considerably longer than indicated by the recipe. Occasionally they failed to include key ingredients in the shipment, necessitating a last-minute trip to the grocery store. There was also quite a lot of packaging waste, but I suppose that's unavoidable with a service like this.

Primary reason for cancelling is that over time, it felt more like a chore than an adventure. We didn't encounter any difficulty cancelling the service, and I didn't use a one-time credit card number when subscribing. But that's generally a good idea with subscriptions, and I don't see any downside.

bombcar

Post by bombcar » Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 pm

There are a few of them - Blue Apron, Plated, Hello Fresh, etc.

All seem to have a free 2-3 meals for signing up, so just try them all. Be sure to cancel, and then pick the one you like best.

We just did it to get some free meals; they're decent but not insanely easy to prepare (the instructions often have to be read VERY carefully!), and for the cost it's easier to just go out to eat, and healthy restaurants are an option these days.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm

bombcar wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 pm
We just did it to get some free meals; they're decent but not insanely easy to prepare (the instructions often have to be read VERY carefully!), and for the cost it's easier to just go out to eat, and healthy restaurants are an option these days.
I don't eat frequently at restaurants, and I never go alone. Cooking at home is my preferred method.

bombcar

Post by bombcar » Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Then go ahead and try it - I had no trouble cancelling, but I did do it all online. I got an email or two from them, but then unsubscribed and even those stopped.

Northster

Post by Northster » Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 pm

We tried it for a few months but just felt tied to it and dropped it. I would second concerns about waste and add that I found some of the meals a bit short on calories. As for using the recipes later, I found they often use 'secret' spice packages that might be hard to replicate.

tchoupitoulas

Post by tchoupitoulas » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I've tried Blue Apron and was a Plated user for about six months. As others have noted, all these services offer promotions, so you can string together a bunch of them and spend a good chunk of time seeing whether it's for you without much if any financial outlay. I didn't have any trouble cancelling any of them. Our initial reason for starting was in part the reason you mentioned: we found we were making the same old recipes and getting kind of sick of them. The services were a nice antidote to that. I made all kinds of new things and most of them were tasty.

Why did we stop? The biggest reason for me was cost. All these services cost in the range of $10-12 per person per meal, which is easily double what I would spend just buying things from the grocery store and cooking at home. I also found that the recipes took longer than claimed and that they often involved messy and burdensome cooking processes that I didn't really care for. Plated would frequently ask me to pound a chicken breast until it was half an inch thin (not a fun process with a baby asleep and neighbors downstairs). They also loved to have you bread and fry things, which means taking a fillet of tilapia (for example), dipping it in raw egg, then in flour, and finally in crushed pretzels. Tasty but incredibly messy and annoying. I also remember a lot of "meatballs" recipes that involved mixing a bunch of ingredients into a batch of raw meat and shaping it into balls with your hands. Again, fun to try but not my first choice on a work night. I also had some of the same frustrations mentioned by others: the annoyance of emptying out the ice packs and dealing with the huge volume of packaging, the occassional rotten or missing ingredient that ruins a meal, etc. etc.

Now I am mainly focused on my love for my instant pot and if I want more variety I buy a new cookbook.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue May 15, 2018 9:51 pm

I don't cook very often. I thought this would make things quite easy. WRONG
I ended up using half the ingredients and after one meal gave the rest away.
While it was tasty (even with all the stuff I didn't do); but it was not worth the hassle.
Blue Apron will be doing frozen entrees for Costco soon and when they come to NY,
I plan to give them a thorough try.

In addition to the level of difficulty (high for me)l there was just so much packaging.

mak17f

Post by mak17f » Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 pm

We have been using Blue Apron for almost 3 years now. I like it a lot but I haven't tried other services mentioned in the thread. I tried Gobble ( one pot meals) but thought that Blue Apron was better. I do it for variety and education. I've cooked recipes with BA that I would never have cooked otherwise, like ramen, Korean rice cakes, etc...We are two adults and are on a family plan, mostly because I like to have leftovers for the next day. Each meal is under $9.

Their website and app are easy with a good interface. It's easy to skip weeks, reschedule delivery days or select different menu options. I'm in the Bay Area, so there is a lot of flexibility with delivery days. Some folks brought up concerns about packaging waste but most of it is recyclable, so it doesn't bother me.

Also, if you decide to stick with it, I highly recommend buying discounted gift cards at Costco. It's a really good deal and you can buy them online.

If anybody wants to try Blue Apron, I have five meals to share. Just pm, if interested.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 am

FlyAF wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am
It's worth trying, cancelling is easy.
That would be my summary. We tried it, liked the results, but ended up cancelling. It was too time consuming. One can make one's own healthy meals more easily. Plus, it pins you down. When you get the delivery it pins you down even if you have other plans.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

Home Chef was quicker preparation and better quality to us.

mevans154

Post by mevans154 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm

My wife and I have been using Blue Apron for about 2+ years now. Like others have said, we found ourselves eating the same 8-10 meals all of the time and a lot of those meals were frozen "out of the box" items.

There are some Blue Apron meals that are better than others, but I can say in 2+ years there were only a handful that I absolutely hated. We also like the fact that they send you everything (except salt, pepper, and olive oil) to make the meals. If the recipe calls for 2 ounces of soy sauce, they send you 2 ounces of soy sauce. I don't have to go buy an entire bottle for one recipe.

For those that have stated that the meals take longer than advertised, I thought the same at first but then changed the ways I prepared the meals.
For example:
1. They instruct you to cut all of the vegetables and make the sauces first before actually cooking anything.
SOLUTION: Find the item that needs cooking first, cut it up, and start cooking it. You can go back and cut other items or make the sauces while item are cooking.
2. Blue Apron instructs you to cook one item at a time, wipe out the pan, and cook the next item. Sometimes the recipe makes you do this 2 or 3 times.
SOLUTION: Use more than one frying pan for goodness sake! Cook the meat and vegetables at the same time.

Unless the meal requires something to bake for 25-30 minutes, I can usually get all the meals started and served in under 25 minutes.

All-in-all we enjoy the service and would recommend trying it. PM me with your email address if you want me to send a free invite for a free week.

:sharebeer
"Be greedy when everyone is panicking, and panic when everyone else is greedy"... Couldn't agree more!!!

gronkman

Post by gronkman » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

As a reasonably experienced cook, I find a Blue Apron to be a decent if not great option. Since my wife and I both have full time jobs, it’s nice to accelerate weekday meal preparation where all the work of buying the right recipe ingredient amounts is already done for you. In addition, the recipes are usually simple enough for my son and daughter to learn by assisting us during the weekend. The flavors tend to be just adventurous enough for our whole family to enjoy.

I would reiterate the comments about packaging waste and extra cost compared to the grocery; the latter can be somewhat mitigated by buying Blue Apron gift cards from Costco at a 25-30% discount (they recently had a sale for $100 in gift cards for $65).

As an aside, I heard that Blue Apron is burning through cash like no tomorrow. So I don’t buy too many gift cards in advance just in case something happens.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm

We tried BA for a few months a year or so back. We canceled mostly because we just didn't like the menu choices. A bit too heavy on the current fad components, and the sauce/spice combinations were not what we liked. Why eat stuff you don't really care for?

I did think the portion size was interesting, in that the amounts of the high calorie parts were moderated, but they added enough other stuff that we usually could not eat it all -- I see that as a positive, healthwise.

We had no trouble canceling. It's a big outfit, so they can't get away with playing games with people's credit cards.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm

We got it for a little while then cancelled. The biggest issue is that the meals take an hour or so to prepare, use every pot and pan you own, and make no leftovers. When I cook normally I make enough so we can have it for dinner two nights in a row and also usually get a lunch out of it.

poundwise

Post by poundwise » Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I’ve been using Blue Apron about once a month for the last 6 months, albeit with extreme guilt. As others have alluded, the amount of packaging waste generated is astronomical.

The biggest culprits are the bags of frozen gel and the giant thermal blanket that is wrapped around everything. To the best of my knowledge, neither of these are biodegradable or recyclable. Not to mention the plastic bags in which each item is individually wrapped (including, say, a sprig of rosemary). I believe blue apron allows you to ship the box and the packaging back free, but it’s not clear what they do with the materials, and the mere cost of shipping such a heavy waste item already feels environmentally dubious.

It’s convenient, time-saving, tasty, and fun. And the killer deals at costco don’t hurt either. But it’s time to ween myself off of this environmental disaster.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 pm

I posted a reply a couple of months ago to a similar question. At the time, we thought using Blue Apron, Plated, and Hello Fresh was fun and a good idea for us. We would alternate which company we got deliveries from based on their menus, and pause the other two companies for that week. BA had the worst selection of the three, Plated had the most but we had the most problems with spoiled food with them.

Since then, the cost of all of it has bothered us. We're at the grocery store once-twice a week as it is. You can remain a "member" of these companies and still access their recipe cards if something really appeals to you. What's stopping us from just looking at the recipes (which include instructions) and then just shopping for what we need? Even if you have to buy a bottle of soy sauce or some random spice, it's still cheaper than using the service. So we're doing that. Besides, these food delivery companies don't use that extensive of a mix of extra ingredients; we aren't buying new stuff every week now that we have a good selection of sauces/spices/starches/etc in our pantry.

I keep a spreadsheet that has columns for beef, chicken, seafood, pasta, extras, etc., and lists recipes that we like underneath each. Each recipe is hyperlinked for easy access to the video and/or online ingredient list. Now, we just consult our spreadsheet of recipes, decide what we want to make for that week, and then put together a grocery list based on the ingredients we'll need. A few of these recipes are past favorites from BA. There is no need to even get up off of the couch to consult a recipe book. I even do this at work.

Our grocery list is a google shared-word document so that both my wife and I can update it any time of day when a thought occurs to us to add something. It can be fun to see the changes your spouse made in real-time/delete those changes/laugh about it later.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

A friend gave me a week or two a couple years ago as a gift. It was ok but I thought it was a lot of work. I don't cook much and it was tiring to think ok, I have to cook again tonight because it could go bad in the next day or two.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 pm

We have been using blue apron for about 2-3 years. We do 1-2 boxes every six weeks.
The packaging has improved so it is a lot less wasteful.

Pros:
gets you out of a rut - some days/weeks I just have no imagination or desire to plan a meal
introduces you to different meals/ingredients - have used some of their recipes as sides for dinner parties, ghee is now part of my vocabulary
teaches you how to cook - I make my mashed potatoes in true blue apron fashion and they are so much more tastier than my old recipe
Easy - meals are done in 30 minutes
Fresh ingredients - never really understood what people were talking about when they raved about "fresh" produce or meats until I tried blue apron

Cons:
small meal portions - comes in two or four portion options. we are a family of five. Usually supplement the meal with a salad or combine it with leftovers so we can all eat
Blue apron calls for you to slice and dice the ingredients and place them in multiple containers prior to cooking. I don't have time for all the cleanup. I just slice everything in one plate and call it a day. Some meals are conducive to doing that, some are not.
Little variety - I almost cancelled blue apron two years ago out of sheer annoyance because every other meal for months seemed to be seared salmon with a side. I suspended for two months and blue apron finally got out of the salmon kick. Roasted vegetables are another famous blue apron repeat. I think we went through a run of roasted zucchini which wasn't a problem because we like zucchini. We seem to be in a run of sweet potato fries currently - which is a little much because I am the only one that will eat sweet potato. Most meats are pan fried and most vegetables are roasted in general.
No whole 30, vegetarian or other specialty diet options. I hear hello fresh and plated do have more options.
Not a problem for us since we eat anything but I wanted to try the Atkins diet and had to hold the deliveries for six weeks, so I wouldn't be tempted.

In summary, worth a shot. You can also hold deliveries up to one month in advance if you need a reset. This is probably the main reason why we have stuck with it for almost three years no.w As I stated above, when I got irritated about the seared salmon repeats, I suspended delivery for two months. Enough time for me to forget and try the program again.

bling

Post by bling » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 pm

i've used both blue apron and hello fresh, even subscribing to both at the same time and picking the better selection each week and skipping the other. there was no hassle of doing this. there was no hassle of cancelling subscriptions either, and restarting, and cancelling again for both these companies.

i got into them because i wanted to learn how to cook, and this was the perfect way to do that, especially because they give you the exact amount of ingredients that you need.

you waste less food this way, but ironically you waste more in packaging instead.

i eventually cancelled because like others, it got repetitive and boring.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 am

We've been using Blue Apron most weeks for the past 4 years. We obviously like it a lot and even signed up for their overpriced, but convenient wine deliveries of 6 500ml bottles per month.

I like that now you can pick the meals you want.

I dislike that they seem to be cutting more corners lately and lowering the quality of their offerings. For instance, I've seen lots of burgers recently. I love burgers, but don't know if they need to offer them every week. Same with chicken fingers. Not paying $10 for that. But the ability to pick your meals mitigates this problem.

One change that cannot be mitigated is that they recently switched from including the "knick knacks" in small paper bags to putting them in plastic bags. Not sure why they made that change, but certainly a step backwards in terms of environmental friendliness.

Their best dishes remain their Asian-inspired ones, in my opinion. But we like spicy foods.

Overall, we remain happy customers, but make sure you select the meals you want in advance rather than letting them send you their default options.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 am

We've been using Blue Apron for a couple of months, after trying (and getting tired of) Green Chef. Generally speaking, we enjoy Blue Apron, and prefer it over Green Chef. It's fun seeing the recipes and making the meals. No complaints here ....

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat May 19, 2018 8:43 am

My wife says "Hello Fresh" meals are easier to prepare, and are more basic, while tasting great. She prefers it to "Blue Apron," which we have also used.

gasdoc

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Sat May 19, 2018 9:42 am

We've used Chef'd and really liked most of their meals. However, we don't set it up as a subscription -- just order as we want. For most meals for 2 we get 2 dinners plus a lunch for one of us. We like the NY TImes recipes and have made many of them subsequently ourselves since you get the menu card with the ingredients list when you order. Particular favorites:
- Cumin Lamb stir fry
- Spaghetti and drop meatballs
- Oven roasted chicken shwarma
- Lemon and Garlic Chicken
- Lamb meatball soup (incredible and fast)

Some of the Chef'd options look orderable on Amazon. We've always ordered through the Chef'd website: https://www.chefd.com/