Must See in South Dakota

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guyesmith

Re: Must See in South Dakota

Post by guyesmith » Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 am

Many good suggestions. I will add another vote for the Badlands. This actually is one of my wife's favorite parks, as an avid photographer. At sunset and at dawn, in particular, there are some opportunities and beautiful vistas. I've mainly camped there, coming back from climbing trips, and it's pretty remarkable on a night with a full moon, or near full moon, too. I believe there is some lodging in the park as well.

The eastern part of the state is as advertised. This is not the most compelling driving, so breaking up your trip in the Badlands can help.

Wall Drug is one of those places you stop because it's there. If you drove past it many times, you might not continue to stop. Note that it's a bad place to fill up, not that they don't have gas stations, but there's a considerable mark-up. Fill up some distance either east or west of it.

I'd suggest a drive up the Needles Highway, with a stop at Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park. You won't be the only one there. You can hike from there up to Harney Peak, which I can recommend, or on other trails through the needles. Overall this is very nice.

On our last trip out there, my wife and I commented that a lot of South Dakota kind of needs a new coat of paint. That's part of its charm though. Again, it's a beautiful and probably underrated part of the country, and many great ideas here.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 am

I think most people have hit on the best spots. My fav was Needles Highway and Custer. Strangely I found Mt Rushmore to be pretty boring. Just way too touristy for my taste, and this is from someone who loved Wall Drug.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Thu May 17, 2018 10:14 pm

mhc wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 pm
mnnice wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 am
I would like to clarify if you are going from the Twin Cities to the Black Hills Sioux Falls is not the mid-point. It’s about four hours of a thirteen hour drive.
Minneapolis to Sioux Falls: 4 hours
Sioux Falls to Rapid City: 5 hours
Still another hour to Custer. I personally don’t consider Rapid City the Hills. Sort of like saying you live in the Cities and you live in Baldwin, WI. 8-)

I did screw up too more like 10 hours total :oops:

sesq

Post by sesq » Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 am

If you like the kitschy stuff roll south from Rushmore to Crazy Horse and on to Alliance, Nebraska for Carhenge. Its exactly what it sounds like, but quite the trifecta in my opinion.

I also adore the Corn Palace for a 20 minute side trip assuming you are riding by on the highway.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 am

raidman wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:06 pm
I have made that drive many many times.
Nice to see another Rammstein fan :sharebeer
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri May 18, 2018 8:58 am

You will stop at Wall Drug, the signs will beat you into submission.

Texflier

Post by Texflier » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am

While you are in the Mt Rushmore area, stop by Sylvan Lake lodge and enjoy the beautiful lake, lodge and hiking trails - my personal favorite place in the Hills.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

guyesmith wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
That does not sound like a good idea.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... akota.html