IRS refund different than amount on tax refund

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
frugalmama

IRS refund different than amount on tax refund

Post by frugalmama » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am

I submitted my tax return via paper (but done online through the IRS's freefilefillable forms...so the system does the math, etc.). Just to explain, I submitted on paper as their system has a glitch with the # of dependents (I have more than their online system allows so it always kicks back the return when I try to submit online). I received the refund in my bank account but it was short a couple hundred dollars. I expected to get a letter from the IRS of some kind explaining why the refund was lower than what it came out to on the return, but it has been about a week and I still haven't received anything.

I'm not all that interested in calling on the phone with a long wait times, nor am I sure that is the best way to communicate with them. Do you think the letter is delayed? Does the IRS always send you out differences between what they calculate and what you calculate? In the past when this has happened, I always received a letter before the refund was issued.

Cpadave

Re: IRS refund different than amount on tax refund

Post by Cpadave » Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am

They will sent you a letter for sure.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

Thank you. I suspected they would.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am

I did my taxes wrong once before (on paper) and received the letter before I received a refund. I would try to call them. They probably calculated the refund with the glitch and didn't give you the correct amount.