Rental Car : Paying Toll tax in Texas for a CA resident

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01

Rental Car : Paying Toll tax in Texas for a CA resident

Post by FB01 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:01 am

Hi,

I stay in California and went to Texas. Rented rental car. On 1-35 I believe, there was toll tax and there was no cashier but rental car had the machine via which it took photo and will be charged for the toll tax.

When I went to drop off by rental car, it did not have the toll tax money counted in the bill.

Can anyone let me know how will I be paying the toll tax? Will I get something in my house in California from Toll company and do I need to pay any penalty..not sure

If anyone knows the process, would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
JR

Nate79

Re: Rental Car : Paying Toll tax in Texas for a CA resident

Post by Nate79 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am

Based on my experience in Texas and other states the rental car company will automatically charge your credit card. Depending on the rental car company they usually have a website or somewhere to look up each individual charge or pull a receipt if you needed it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am

FB01 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:01 am
Hi,

I stay in California and went to Texas. Rented rental car. On 1-35 I believe, there was toll tax and there was no cashier but rental car had the machine via which it took photo and will be charged for the toll tax.

When I went to drop off by rental car, it did not have the toll tax money counted in the bill.

Can anyone let me know how will I be paying the toll tax? Will I get something in my house in California from Toll company and do I need to pay any penalty..not sure

If anyone knows the process, would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
JR
The obvious way to answer your question would be to contact the company you rented the car from and ask, if the information is not included in your rental agreement, which it almost certainly is.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon May 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Likely, you will get a a mysterious charge from your rental car company weeks after the rental for the total plus an administrative fee. It was $30 plus $5 for the toll for me.

When I protested, they sent me the camera picture of the vehicle with the time stamp and my rental agreement with my initials circled having to pay for all parking citations and toll charges plus an administrative fee.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

If your were in Dallas area the toll agency is NTTA. for your own car if you don’t have a toll tag they will mail you a bill based on the auto tag. For a rental I don’t know, but the above poster is probably right. Rental car companies often deal with a third party that bills you a fixed charge per day. It is kind of a rip off. But you probably unknowingly authorized it when you rented the car.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Likely, you will get a a mysterious charge from your rental car company weeks after the rental for the total plus an administrative fee. It was $30 plus $5 for the toll for me.
Further broken down:

toll: $0.30
toll company administration fee: $4.70
rental car company fee: $30
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Michigan resident, have rented in Texas (and same situation in Florida). They use pay-by-plate. (Hertz ) You get a charge later on, for the toll plus about $5 per day of rental that you encounter tolls. Max about $20. It used to be you paid the charge for the entire rental even if you don't use the toll pass more than one day. Tht's IIRC. Go to the web site for a specific rental company and get current details.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm
mmmodem wrote:
Further broken down:

It's the new rip-off money center for rental car companies.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 am

When I was in San Francisco a similar thing happened to me crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. There you can login online and pay the toll using the license plate of the rental card and your credit card. Doing that you avoid the surcharge from the car rental company and the toll authority.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 am

BobTexas wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 am
When I was in San Francisco a similar thing happened to me crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. There you can login online and pay the toll using the license plate of the rental card and your credit card. Doing that you avoid the surcharge from the car rental company and the toll authority.
+1 on this. I got stuck with the same Golden Gate Toll on a rental and could have saved myself $30.00 if I'd payed it online before the rental car company got the bill. If you know the car license plate number (it may be on your paperwork) you can probably log in online to the Texas system and pay your toll and save yourself some money. You may have to know where and approximately when you went through the electronic toll booth. If you don't have this information, you will just have to wait until you get a charge on your credit card. In my experience, you won't have to do anything, its totally automatic.
Lorne

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Definitely check with your rental company though, as stated above, most will bill you much later after the toll charge is processed and will tack on a hefty fee. That's one reason I prefer using Silvercar wherever they are available. They only bill for actual toll charges.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
Further broken down:

I experienced this same situation, but I was driving in Pennsylvania. When I called to dispute the charge, they waived the administration fee of $30 as there was no way for me to have paid the toll by cash. When and if you receive the bill, be sure to call and dispute and ridiculous charges.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm

nexesn wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
Further broken down:

I experienced this same situation, but I was driving in Pennsylvania. When I called to dispute the charge, they waived the administration fee of $30 as there was no way for me to have paid the toll by cash. When and if you receive the bill, be sure to call and dispute and ridiculous charges.
I don't see why they would have waived the charge - you knew roughly what it would have been and chose to incur it. I wasted probably two hours avoiding that same surcharge last week, by driving around the problem. There's usually a way around tolls except for entering some cities, if you drive far enough. Sometimes a very, very long way.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Wed May 16, 2018 8:46 am

tibbitts wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm
nexesn wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
Further broken down:

I don't see why they would have waived the charge - you knew roughly what it would have been and chose to incur it. I wasted probably two hours avoiding that same surcharge last week, by driving around the problem. There's usually a way around tolls except for entering some cities, if you drive far enough. Sometimes a very, very long way.

The only part we knew was how much the toll was going to cost. We also had know idea when approaching the lanes that they didn't have a "cash" option. There are a lot of toll roads in the northeast, and many will say no cash lanes, etc. However, this one in PA did not have any signs. And, obviously there was no way for us to backup and turn around once we approached the toll. Anyway, they were very understanding to our situation and immedialy waived the $30 fee. I did tell them that I was happy to pay some type of fee as I understood there was a cost for them to deal with the administration overhead, but $34.70 seemed excessive for our .80 cent toll.

FB01

Post by FB01 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am

So I see a charge of $5.40 on my credit card but no additional charge of $30 as someone was talking about.

Will I receive a separate bill for the penalty of $30 dollars?

-JR

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Hertz sends through one charge with tolls plus any fees. I suspect you were charged the per diem $4.95 or whatever for one day, plus the toll. As I said earlier, I've not encounted that $30 penalty. Nowadays I think the toll pass arrangement is automatic. Early on, you had to sign up for it,and if you didn't, then the fee was charged.