Audiobooks and the Overdrive App

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DWesterb2iz2

Audiobooks and the Overdrive App

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:03 am

Lots of you probably know this, but the Overdrive App allows you to listen to audio books that are available to participating libraries that you have a library card for. Here is the app:
https://app.overdrive.com

The way it works is that libraries contract with Overdrive to offer streaming and download access to audiobooks (and ebooks) that each library owns and so has rights to. If the library has 2 copies of an audiobook, there are 2 copies available for borrowing or streaming on Overdrive. So, If you sign up, you can download and listen to audiobooks available at your library, just as if you were borrowing a CD set. I like it a lot.

Know too, that you likely have more library access than you think of. For example, I think anyone in NY state can get an NYC library card. Some educational facilities' libraries also have a contract with Overdrive. If you have a second home or residence, you can get a library card there too. You get the idea.

Finally, for $27 per year you can get a non-resident card from the Fairfax County VA public library and they have lots and lots of audio books. Check out their selection and see if it suits you:
https://fairfax.overdrive.com

Here is the application for a nonresident card:
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/n ... pplication

Again, unlike a service like Audible, access to each book in your Overdrive acct is limited by the contents of your library (or libraries), so there can be some waiting for some books. But if, like me, the list of books you'd like to hear is a long one, there is always something good available.

startwithtruth

Re: Audiobooks and the Overdrive App

Post by startwithtruth » Sun May 13, 2018 2:57 pm

I listen to many audiobooks each year, and Overdrive has saved me lots of money over Audible; my husband and I still keep an Audible membership for obscure titles (and for the occasional popular book that I want to read immediately) but most of my reading is through Overdrive, both audio and ebooks.

For anyone whose home library doesn't have a large Overdrive collection, I recommend considering a non-resident Brooklyn Public Library card; their Overdrive holdings are very large and include many audiobook titles I can't get through my suburban Michigan library system. BPL's membership is $50 per year, but if you're a heavy audiobook listener, it's well worth it:
https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Hmmmm ... I've subscribed to Audible for years - the range of books there is fantastic, and I cherish my subscription. It's well worth $15/m. for one credit (one book a month). And, Audible has daily specials in the $3-4 range, and I usually buy one of these a month, on average. I wouldn't give up my Audible subscription under any circumstances.

I've tried "Hoopla" and "Libby" (not mentioned here - not sure what the relationship is, if any to overdrive - think Libby may be a front end for overdrive), but the range of books on the two services don't come close to Audible. They are still on my phone, but I haven't used either in months.

startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth » Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Hmmmm ... I've subscribed to Audible for years - the range of books there is fantastic, and I cherish my subscription. It's well worth $15/m. for one credit (one book a month). And, Audible has daily specials in the $3-4 range, and I usually buy one of these a month, on average. I wouldn't give up my Audible subscription under any circumstances. Agreed, Audible's collection is amazing, and I can't imagine giving up my membership either. In my case though, I listen to at least 1 book per week (long commute; house and yard work; exercise) and even with sales, I couldn't afford to buy them all from Audible. Still, when it comes to ease of acquiring a book, there's nothing like Audible - you hear a recommendation for a new book and a few minutes later you're listening to it; with Overdrive, a new book will generally have a wait list :shock:
't
I've tried "Hoopla" and "Libby" (not mentioned here - not sure what the relationship is, if any to overdrive - think Libby may be a front end for overdrive), but the range of books on the two services don't come close to Audible. They are still on my phone, but I haven't used either in months. You're right, Libby is a front end app for Overdrive. Hoopla is another provider which works on a different model where multiple patrons can use the same book at once, so there are no wait lists; their collection is much smaller though and I only occasionally find the titles I want there.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:03 am

Know too, that you likely have more library access than you think of. For example, I think anyone in NY state can get an NYC library card.
Anyone who lives in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania can open an online account at the Free Library of Philadelphia, and you do not have to visit a library to open the account. Similarly, PA residents can open an account at the Carnegie Library system in Pittsburgh, but you actually have to visit a branch to open the account. These would be in addition to the library system in the county where you live.

Also, Hoopla is similar to Overdrive and many libraries use one or both of these. So if the library does not have the audio book you are looking for on Overdrive, they may have it on Hoopla.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

We love Overdrive and the free books from the public library. For a while our public library also had overdrive access to a number of magazines which was great but that stopped. If you have amazon prime you can check out a free book per month but we use that less nowadays because it’s just easier through the library/overdrive

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Hmmmm ... I've subscribed to Audible for years - the range of books there is fantastic, and I cherish my subscription. It's well worth $15/m. for one credit (one book a month). And, Audible has daily specials in the $3-4 range, and I usually buy one of these a month, on average. I wouldn't give up my Audible subscription under any circumstances.

I've tried "Hoopla" and "Libby" (not mentioned here - not sure what the relationship is, if any to overdrive - think Libby may be a front end for overdrive), but the range of books on the two services don't come close to Audible. They are still on my phone, but I haven't used either in months.
Audible is amazing. They have absolutely everything and no waiting. I can imagine cherishing a subscription to it.

I mostly listen to older books and so Overdrive with access to a couple of big library systems works fine for me. I also subscribe to the Economist and listen to the audio of that (well as much as I can before the next one comes out), and as well as few podcasts.

I seldom watch TV anymore. I read the paper and listen to audio. It's the Golden Age of Video they say, but it's like the golden days of radio for me.

startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth » Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

I mostly listen to older books and so Overdrive with access to a couple of big library systems works fine for me. I also subscribe to the Economist and listen to the audio of that (well as much as I can before the next one comes out), and as well as few podcasts.

I seldom watch TV anymore. I read the paper and listen to audio. It's the Golden Age of Video they say, but it's like the golden days of radio for me.
+1 It really is a great time to use libraries for audiobooks; not like the old days when you drove to the library to pick through their measly collection of books on tape, some of which were abridged (!) :sharebeer

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm

startwithtruth wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm
+1 It really is a great time to use libraries for audiobooks; not like the old days when you drove to the library to pick through their measly collection of books on tape, some of which were abridged (!) :sharebeer
Just checked Hoopla and was pleased to see they have audiobook of Keith Richards' "Life." Nice to see I don't have to buy that from Audible!

carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Second vote for Hoopla also. I've added Overdrive and Hoopla to my local library rentals and Hoopla has a vast, vast collection of those old time audio books-you remember-the cassette tapes that used to stretch and turn up missing in the olden days-ha-ha. Hoopla seems to have the favorite classics and Overdrive has the more modern and up-to-date collections. I'm dropping my Audible membership ($15 a month) for the local library's free offering. I also check all the new arrivals at the library for all my favorite authors-takes a bit of clicking and searching in the database-for the new purchases that are posted even before they are out on the shelves. And Overdrive and Hoopla don't count against the 25 check out book limit. They both download smoothly, easily and play well on my iPhone-love those audiobooks. In case you really love old books try the LINK+ which is a way to search all the member libraries (looks like northern California for us) for those long lost books that your local library system doesn't carry any more.

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am

Can the Overdrive app on my Windows PC transfer the book to my Kindle E-reader? The Kindle E-reader now supports Audible.
Thanks Paul

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 am

CWRadio wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am
Can the Overdrive app on my Windows PC transfer the book to my Kindle E-reader? The Kindle E-reader now supports Audible.
Thanks Paul
I don't think so. In my library system I have to chose. I can download the audio book from overdrive or I can download the Kindle file via Amazon. If I download the Kindle version I can't download the e-pub version.

mikebee

Post by mikebee » Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes, agree, Overdrive is just wonderful. I don't really understand why one has to wait for a title, if it's all digital, surely there must be an infinite number of copies ?
I like the sampling ability, saves time when choosing at random and getting rubbish.
Not so keen on audio books as I have found some are are abridged which I dislike.
Another criticism I have is that there seems to be at least three times as many women authors as men. Most women write trashy pulp fiction IMHOP of course.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue May 15, 2018 8:14 pm

mikebee wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Yes, agree, Overdrive is just wonderful. I don't really understand why one has to wait for a title, if it's all digital, surely there must be an infinite number of copies ?
I like the sampling ability, saves time when choosing at random and getting rubbish.
Not so keen on audio books as I have found some are are abridged which I dislike.
Another criticism I have is that there seems to be at least three times as many women authors as men. Most women write trashy pulp fiction IMHOP of course.
The price public libraries are charged for Overdrive titles can be quite complicated but in general, the more simultaneous users of a book that are allowed, the more it costs the library. So no, generally the library can't afford to pay for an infinite number of copies.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm

If I have Libby, do I need Overdrive as well? Or would that be redundant? Still a bit confused about all of this, and the fact that different library systems have different libraries (didn't realize that until I read this thread). Overdrive, Libby, Hoopla - seems like a lot of possible redundancy here.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 16, 2018 8:29 am

Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm
If I have Libby, do I need Overdrive as well? Or would that be redundant? Still a bit confused about all of this, and the fact that different library systems have different libraries (didn't realize that until I read this thread). Overdrive, Libby, Hoopla - seems like a lot of possible redundancy here.
It's like Hulu v. Netflix v. Amazon Prime v. YouTube TV. Overdrive and Hoopla offer access to digital content, but the content and service models are different.

Libby is an app released by OverDrive. The content you are able to access from a given library will be the same with Libby as the OverDrive app, it just is a different interface.

Hoopla is a different service with different content, including audiobooks, ebooks, video, and music. Overdrive contains ebooks and audiobooks. Overdrive has more recently published content, with Hoopla having backlist materials. The exact collections and circulation terms available to you on either service depend on your library. Hoopla is on-demand, with any number of users able to access any content. The library pays each time you access an item, so most libraries will only allow you to use a certain number of items per month as their budget allows. Overdrive will have waiting lists, depending on the number of digital copies, the demand and the circ length your library allows.

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 pm

One more library app to check out: kanopy. It seems to be a classic and Independent movie streaming site. I have three library cards and only the smallest library participated in this service. I have signed up but not used it yet.
https://www.kanopy.com

startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 pm
One more library app to check out: kanopy. It seems to be a classic and Independent movie streaming site. I have three library cards and only the smallest library participated in this service. I have signed up but not used it yet.
https://www.kanopy.com
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize I have access through my Brooklyn Public card; looks like a pretty eclectic collection, including a few I've had my eye on and several that look interesting.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

startwithtruth wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:57 pm
BPL's membership is $50 per year, but if you're a heavy audiobook listener, it's well worth it:
Indeed. Especially compared to Audible's $14.95/month fee.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed May 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Kanopy is great, but tough on the library budget.