Time Span Between Job Changes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
enclee

Time Span Between Job Changes

Post by enclee »

I’m thinking of a job/career change for a few reasons more pay, more ideal location and a different role. The issue is I started at a new company at the beginning of the year. I really like the people and I don’t want to burn any bridges because I’ll still be in the same industry. What would be the proper amount of time to wait in between jobs?
Pajamas

Re: Time Span Between Job Changes

Post by Pajamas »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am I’m thinking of a job/career change for a few reasons more pay, more ideal location and a different role. The issue is I started at a new company at the beginning of the year. I really like the people and I don’t want to burn any bridges because I’ll still be in the same industry. What would be the proper amount of time to wait in between jobs?
Depends on the industry.

Generally, I don't think anyone would hold it against you for taking a significantly better position. If they asked why you changed jobs after a few months, it would be easy to say that you found out about a position in a new role that you were really interested in for 25% more pay and a shorter commute and that you didn't want to miss the opportunity. Don't think anyone at your current job would blame you for taking the job under those circumstances and you might even get some people asking if there are other positions open at your new employer.

Try to give as much notice as possible to make it easier for your current employer and coworkers.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Pajamas wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am
enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am I’m thinking of a job/career change for a few reasons more pay, more ideal location and a different role. The issue is I started at a new company at the beginning of the year. I really like the people and I don’t want to burn any bridges because I’ll still be in the same industry. What would be the proper amount of time to wait in between jobs?
Depends on the industry.

Generally, I don't think anyone would hold it against you for taking a significantly better position. If they asked why you changed jobs after a few months, it would be easy to say that you found out about a position in a new role that you were really interested in for 25% more pay and a shorter commute and that you didn't want to miss the opportunity. Don't think anyone at your current job would blame you for taking the job under those circumstances and you might even get some people asking if there are other positions open at your new employer.

Try to give as much notice as possible to make it easier for your current employer and coworkers.
If you do this once, and it's for a way better position in a better location, it will likely be okay. But it depends on the rest of your employment history. If your LinkedIn page is full of 10 different jobs since you began your career 8 years ago, that's a different story.
rob

Post by rob »

I would not care about a few months if it was in context of longer roles - I know this is more common now but I really have issues with strings of 9-12 month roles (Edit: Unless it was in the context of short-term contract roles).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
enclee

Post by enclee »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 am
Depends on the industry.

If you do this once, and it's for a way better position in a better location, it will likely be okay. But it depends on the rest of your employment history. If your LinkedIn page is full of 10 different jobs since you began your career 8 years ago, that's a different story.
This is my first civilian employer, and I plan to give them enough time to find a replacement. I just feel like I should give them 2-3 years before moving on, but I don’t want to waste my time.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 am This is my first civilian employer, and I plan to give them enough time to find a replacement. I just feel like I should give them 2-3 years before moving on, but I don’t want to waste my time.
I can assure you that your sense of obligation is not mutual and they would give you only the required notice (and maybe a severance package) if your services were no longer wanted or needed.
madmartigan

Post by madmartigan »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 am This is my first civilian employer, and I plan to give them enough time to find a replacement. I just feel like I should give them 2-3 years before moving on, but I don’t want to waste my time.
You are not obligated to give any company any amount of time! With respect to finding a new role, anyone giving you a good minimum range of time is providing anecdotal accounts. It's easy to craft a valid story around your departure; one that a new employee could appreciate (e.g. I learned this role wasn't right for me, it's helped me become better at identifying good roles going forward, which is why I'm here).

You could consider discussing these concerns with your manager, providing them an appropriate to help find a better balance, but proceed tactfully.
Topic Author
enclee

Post by enclee »

madmartigan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am
You are not obligated to give any company any amount of time! With respect to finding a new role, anyone giving you a good minimum range of time is providing anecdotal accounts. It's easy to craft a valid story around your departure; one that a new employee could appreciate (e.g. I learned this role wasn't right for me, it's helped me become better at identifying good roles going forward, which is why I'm here).

You could consider discussing these concerns with your manager, providing them an appropriate to help find a better balance, but proceed tactfully.
I’m thinking of that, I took a job with the current company and they hired without really having experience for the role. So l, I’m very grateful towards my manager. I’ve learned quick and only took about a month to be up to speed. However, I just don’t enjoy the M-F 9-5 schedule, city life, and the new job would be a pay increase that would accommodate my wife going to part-time once we have a child.
Topic Author
enclee

Post by enclee »

Thanks for the responses by the way, I really appreciate the thoughts and advice.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

If you are comfortable being at the company for a while, it won't matter much.

I went 8 years, 2 years, 13 months and am now coming up on 3 years in my latest position.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 amWhat would be the proper amount of time to wait in between jobs?
If I was your employer, I would want you to move on as soon as possible assuming I have someone to fill your position. I want someone in that position that is motivated to do their job well for possible advancement in the future. Anybody in that position whose future doesn't have our company in it, probably is not going to be as motivated to do their job as well.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Mine have been:

5 years (FTE)
1 year (contract)
2 years (FTE)
7 years (FTE)
4 years (FTE)

At one of my megacorps we had a resume from a guy who hopped jobs probably about every 6 months to a year. These were FTE jobs, not contracts, and it was definitely seen as a negative.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Elsebet wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 pm Mine have been:

5 years (FTE)
1 year (contract)
2 years (FTE)
7 years (FTE)
4 years (FTE)

At one of my megacorps we had a resume from a guy who hopped jobs probably about every 6 months to a year. These were FTE jobs, not contracts, and it was definitely seen as a negative.
Every six months to a year, time after time is ridiculous. One can hardly become fully productive in six months unless it is a low-level job.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 am
Glockenspiel wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 am
Depends on the industry.

This is my first civilian employer, and I plan to give them enough time to find a replacement. I just feel like I should give them 2-3 years before moving on, but I don’t want to waste my time.
Was there a significant amount of training involved with this position? How long did it take you to become productive in the role? The more training/time, the more of a hit it is to replace you after only a short tenure.

Does your company have any internal guidelines for applying for another job within the company? (Large companies generally do - where I have worked it has been netween a year and 18 months). Two to 3 years sounds like a long time to stay if it isn't where you want to be.

I agree that you could get away with a quick switch once, but if you leave your next employer in an equally short period of time it could raise a concern in potential future employers. Sticking around too long at one employer can also make it more difficult to find a new job.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am I just don’t enjoy the M-F 9-5 schedule
I'm sure many here would be very happy with "just" a 9-5 schedule. What schedule would you "enjoy"?
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:08 am
enclee wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am I just don’t enjoy the M-F 9-5 schedule
I'm sure many here would be very happy with "just" a 9-5 schedule. What schedule would you "enjoy"?
That's a trick question right?

Mo work from home in my PJs
Tues Wander in around 10:00 am (traffic was brutal) hour lunch at 1:30 Leave at 3:30]
Wed Work from home nekid
Thur Call sick
Fri Get in about 11:30 just in time to catch the crowd going to lunch. Have a couple pops (liquor) at lunch. Beg off rest of day

I could work that schedule. As a matter of fact that is my schedule! :D
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Traveler wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 am Every six months to a year, time after time is ridiculous. One can hardly become fully productive in six months unless it is a low-level job.
Unless megacorp plans for you to be the CEO, and then, this is the the job change schedule, albeit all internal jobs. This way, the chosen one is never in a job long enough to fail. :twisted:
huai

Post by huai »

As a hiring manager who has interviewed hundreds of candidates, I can tell you that 1 short job hop is fine and can be explained by all the good reasons mentioned above. If I saw a pattern of multiple FTE positions of <1 year I would either scrutinize it or discard the resume entirely. A pattern of short job hops tells me "I wasn't very good at my job and didn't survive even 1 review cycle." I may be wrong, but perception is reality.