Hawaii vacation suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rexindex

Hawaii vacation suggestions

Post by Rexindex »

Hope I can get some Hawaii suggestions. The only things I know are we want to stay in Maui and we prefer pet friendly hotels.

Could anyone tell me the best time of year to go?
Specific hotel recommendations?
Booking? Expedia? Direct through airlines? Package deals?
Are rental cars necessary?
And what is a realistic budget for food considering we will likely eat out half the time for 4 people?

Thanks
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
livesoft

Re: Hawaii vacation suggestions

Post by livesoft »

Hotels: Four Seasons, Wailea
or condos: Elua Village, Wailea

Eating out depends on where you want to eat, could be pho twice a day which would be cheap, or it could be Roy's, not cheap.

Yes, a rental car is necessary to drive to things to see.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 am Hotels: Four Seasons, Wailea

Eating out depends on where you want to eat, could be pho twice a day which would be cheap, or it could be Roy's, not cheap.

You have good taste in hotels! Wow that’s nice!
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
squirm

Post by squirm »

don't go when school is out. we go yearly. spring or fall is best. we do vrbo...rent a condo...yes rent a car...you miss out big if you don't go in the water and snorkel... when my wife and i go, we eat in mostly, and out once in a while...we don't emphasize food, instead the water. also, enjoy the eye candy at the beaches.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Rexindex wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 am Hope I can get some Hawaii suggestions. The only things I know are we want to stay in Maui and we prefer pet friendly hotels.

Could anyone tell me the best time of year to go?
Specific hotel recommendations?
Booking? Expedia? Direct through airlines? Package deals?
Are rental cars necessary?
And what is a realistic budget for food considering we will likely eat out half the time for 4 people?

Thanks
Aloha.
Spring , Fall. Avoid Major Holidays.
Wailea is a beautiful place to stay.
VRBO or AirBnB in Wailea, Makawao, Kula.
Must have a rental car for the freedom and to maximize use of time.
Road to Hana takes forever. A lot nearly a full day for it as it will take out a chunk of time. Worth doing if you have a lot of days but not worth otherwise.
Must drive up to Haleakala summit. Drive up the slopes of Kula are gorgeous.
The main roads on Maui are like the capital letter "H" with the center between the 2 mountain lava cones the center bar of the "H".
Food at tourist spots and restaurants costs $$$. Nice tourist restaurants are $$$$$. Hotel restaurants are $$$$$$$$ except for free breakfast buffet.
Eat "local" for the experience and the budget. Plate lunches (for any time of day). BBQ chicken, Teriyaki, Kal Bi short ribs, etc. "Ono!"
Try a helicopter ride. Awesome and time efficient way to see the Island.
Ocean beaches on the "leeward" side are terrific.

Maui No Ka Oi
mahalo,
j :D

ps: If you have time and money, take the shuttle flight or boat to the nearby Island of Lanai to stay one night or so at the Koele Lodge 4 Seasons $$$$$$$. Is has gone thru a major renovation and is supposed to reopen in 2018.

Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

By far the best time to go to Maui is January/February. The whales are incredible. It's like whale soup there as they stop and breed. You literally can see whales breaching from your hotel room window. Plus it's not super busy. Lastly, and most importantly, it's warmer there than most anywhere. We have had no more rain on our winter trips than we have on our summer trips. It's really perfect.

I am not sure about hotels but for a good value the timeshare hotels (Westins north of Kaanapali are nice) are a great buy. You can rent through redweek.com or other such site and it's significantly cheaper than booking direct.

Kaapanapali is the slightly less fancy part of the island compared to Wailea to the south.

If you go all the way to Kapalua, the north of the island, there is more rain.

Rental car is mandatory.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

On Maui a stop at Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop for lunch is also almost mandatory :wink:
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Watty

Post by Watty »

Rexindex wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 am and we prefer pet friendly hotels.
Taking a pet to Hawaii makes no sense if you are flying from the mainland.

Even if the airline allows you fly with a small dog the long flight will be hard on it and a flight delay could make it even longer.

I recently looked at a flight sale from the east coast and with a connection it was a 14 hour flight to Hawaii.
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

You will need a permit to bring a pet to Hawaii, plus a lot of other stuff you need to know:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-qu ... tion-page/
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Rexindex wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 am
and we prefer pet friendly hotels.

Taking a pet to Hawaii makes no sense if you are flying from the mainland.
You will need a permit to bring a pet to Hawaii, plus a lot of other stuff you need to know:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-qu ... tion-page/
+1

Hawaii takes their ability to keep rabies out of the state very seriously.

Yes, you will need a rental car.
De gustibus non disputandum est
susze

Post by susze »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 am Hotels: Four Seasons, Wailea

If wailea Ill add andaz and monkeypod for food and Trilogy Sailing for snorkel tour

Been a few yrs and things change quick so do research
investor997

Post by investor997 »

Can't go wrong with Maui. I recommend a zodiac snorkeling tour. I had a blast. You get to see the rugged lava flows of the island's southernmost points, plus they'll take you to the *outer* rim of Molokini crater for snorkeling. This was incredible - the water was amazingly clear and you can see the outer wall of the crater drop down into the abyss with enormous fish everywhere.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

I'm just now booking my first trip to the Islands in March of 2019. I'll be on the big island for 6 days and then 4 days on Maui.

I am a fan of outdoor stuff... Hiking up to 20 miles a day, I tired surfing on the west coast a few times(but I stick to snow sports now) Scuba diving, running, cycling, flying (fixed wing), and great local food. (no food allergies or issues)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!!

I am not a fan of the more touristy areas. I like to go for back country areas where most people won't go, but I'm sure this will be a mixed bag of both on the first trip. I will have access to a car as well so longer trips won't be an issue.

cheers!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm I'm just now booking my first trip to the Islands in March of 2019. I'll be on the big island for 6 days and then 4 days on Maui.

I am a fan of outdoor stuff... Hiking up to 20 miles a day, I tired surfing on the west coast a few times(but I stick to snow sports now) Scuba diving, running, cycling, flying (fixed wing), and great local food. (no food allergies or issues)

I am not a fan of the more touristy areas. I like to go for back country areas where most people won't go, but I'm sure this will be a mixed bag of both on the first trip. I will have access to a car as well so longer trips won't be an issue.

cheers!
I wouldn't miss Ka'aloa's Super J's on the big island for authentic Hawaiian food. No frills is an understatement, and the proprietor gives new meaning to the word "outspoken" in her assessment of the superiority of the big island over the others. She also commented on the drab coloring of our native fish where we come from as opposed to the vivid coloring of Hawaiian fish. She was a delight. :P

Super J's is on the ocean side of the road on the way south from Kailua-Kona to one of the best snorkeling spots on the island at Two Step, a nickname given to the spot because of the easy entrance into the water from a two step lava formation. Consider snorkeling or diving with the manta rays after sunset off of the Sheraton on the Big Island as well. I suggest buying the latest versions of the Hawaii Revealed series for both the Big Island and Maui, which identify many relatively tourist-free locations for water activities and hiking.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Went to Maui 3 years in a row before having children. We stayed in Kihei each time at the Hale Pau Hana ... we love it there. We rented a car, bought groceries, BBQ on the beach, etc.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

For cheap but fairly authentic Hawaiian food, try Zippy's and L&H BBQ. Try Loco Moco at least once.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm I'm just now booking my first trip to the Islands in March of 2019. I'll be on the big island for 6 days and then 4 days on Maui.

cheers!
Go to the black and green sand beaches.

The black sand beach has a parking lot but you have to hike a couple of miles to get to the green sand beach. It's worth it though. (Actually you can ride there in the back of a pickup for $20, I wouldn't though. You can't drive your own car. It might be possible if you have a 4x4 but it's a very bumpy ride. Better to hike).

Also hike across the Kīlauea Iki volcanic crater, it last erupted in 1959 but it's still like a moonscape.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:03 pm

cheers!
Go to the black and green sand beaches.

The black sand beach has a parking lot but you have to hike a couple of miles to get to the green sand beach. It's worth it though. (Actually you can ride there in the back of a pickup for $20, I wouldn't though. You can't drive your own car. It might be possible if you have a 4x4 but it's a very bumpy ride. Better to hike).

Also hike across the Kīlauea Iki volcanic crater, it last erupted in 1959 but it's still like a moonscape.
The Hiking Sounds GREAT!!! I'm adding these to item to the list!! Thanks !
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

vested1 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 am

cheers!
I wouldn't miss Ka'aloa's Super J's on the big island for authentic Hawaiian food. No frills is an understatement, and the proprietor gives new meaning to the word "outspoken" in her assessment of the superiority of the big island over the others. She also commented on the drab coloring of our native fish where we come from as opposed to the vivid coloring of Hawaiian fish. She was a delight. :P

Super J's is on the ocean side of the road on the way south from Kailua-Kona to one of the best snorkeling spots on the island at Two Step, a nickname given to the spot because of the easy entrance into the water from a two step lava formation. Consider snorkeling or diving with the manta rays after sunset off of the Sheraton on the Big Island as well. I suggest buying the latest versions of the Hawaii Revealed series for both the Big Island and Maui, which identify many relatively tourist-free locations for water activities and hiking.
Excellent!! Thank you!!!
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

TierArtz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm For cheap but fairly authentic Hawaiian food, try Zippy's and L&H BBQ. Try Loco Moco at least once.
Loco Moco looks great!!! I will do that! Just curious L&H appears to be L&L now? There are locations in So CAl (LA Area) Because that is a chain is it pretty much the same in both places?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Napili Kai resort on Maui. Great property and great people on staff. Private beach to boogie board, snorkel. Onsite restaurant with loco moco yum! Maui taco down the street for cheap tasty burritos.

https://www.napilikai.com/experience/
hightower

Post by hightower »

We try to go to Hawaii every winter. Winter is wonderful usually, but it can rain. It's also not as hot. But, we want to go back for a spring or summer trip next time so that the ocean is calmer and we can swim/snorkel in more spots.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Maui this March actually! It was great of course. We stayed in a B&B near Paia for the majority of it, but also spent a couple of nights on the west coast in a nice resort and a couple of nights in the Best Western Pioneer in Lahaina. All spots were great.
There is so much great snorkeling right off the beach in Maui, it was really incredible. We got some rainy/cloudy weather towards the end, so we didn't get the spectacular views from Haleakala, but it was still an amazing trip. Road to Hana was crazy! We drove the entire loop!
Did a whale watching tour which was fun. It was just cool to be out on the water in a nice boat.
If we could go back we'd definitely take a day trip over to Lanai, I hear there's amazing snorkeling right off the beach there too.
Got to watch some big wave surfing at Hookipa beach one night at sunset which was absolutely incredible.
It's a whole different world over there in Maui. It's amazing to me how different each island is even though they are all in the same part of the world.

Wish I could go to the big island right now and see some of the lava flow. My favorite hawaiian place is definitely Kauai, specifically Hanalei Bay, but I'm really saddened by the terrible flooding they just had.
hightower

Post by hightower »

cheers!
If you like to hike I HIGHLY recommend the trails in Hawaii Volacanoes National Park that lead down to the ocean. You can back pack and camp right on the most pristine beautiful beach in the world. The last time we were there (3 years ago) we did a 3 night backpack trip down there and found the most incredible pristine coral reef right off the beach where they let you camp. And of course we were the only human beings for miles. It was really something.
Here are a couple shots I took from that area. Keahou Beach, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Here's one from the black sand beach just west of the park
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

hightower wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 pm

cheers!
If you like to hike I HIGHLY recommend the trails in Hawaii Volacanoes National Park that lead down to the ocean. You can back pack and camp right on the most pristine beautiful beach in the world. The last time we were there (3 years ago) we did a 3 night backpack trip down there and found the most incredible pristine coral reef right off the beach where they let you camp. And of course we were the only human beings for miles. It was really something.
Here are a couple shots I took from that area. Keahou Beach, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Great pics!!! I was looking for some backpacking options... we have lodging covered for the 10 days.. but I was looking at some overnights away possibly in the woods or on a beach.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

hightower wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm We try to go to Hawaii every winter. Winter is wonderful usually, but it can rain. It's also not as hot. But, we want to go back for a spring or summer trip next time so that the ocean is calmer and we can swim/snorkel in more spots.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Maui this March actually! It was great of course. We stayed in a B&B near Paia for the majority of it, but also spent a couple of nights on the west coast in a nice resort and a couple of nights in the Best Western Pioneer in Lahaina. All spots were great.
There is so much great snorkeling right off the beach in Maui, it was really incredible. We got some rainy/cloudy weather towards the end, so we didn't get the spectacular views from Haleakala, but it was still an amazing trip. Road to Hana was crazy! We drove the entire loop!
Did a whale watching tour which was fun. It was just cool to be out on the water in a nice boat.
If we could go back we'd definitely take a day trip over to Lanai, I hear there's amazing snorkeling right off the beach there too.
Got to watch some big wave surfing at Hookipa beach one night at sunset which was absolutely incredible.
It's a whole different world over there in Maui. It's amazing to me how different each island is even though they are all in the same part of the world.

Wish I could go to the big island right now and see some of the lava flow. My favorite hawaiian place is definitely Kauai, specifically Hanalei Bay, but I'm really saddened by the terrible flooding they just had.
I booked the tickets today March 8 to 18th... so all set there. Snorkeling sounds GREAT! I'm scuba certified so I may be going that route... I'm going to look into it.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Lots of good suggestions on the thread. We were in Maui in March, and stayed in a timeshare north of Lahaina, and at the Fairmont. The accommodations at the Fairmont were fabulous, and they have a great set of pools. We were thankful that someone else was picking up the tab, as you could not get a meal in the restaurant for less than $28.

Our favorite local restaurant was Da Kitchen in Kahului.
SaveStrong

Post by SaveStrong »

Agree that rental car is 100% necessary.

In terms of snorkeling, surprised no one has mentioned Honolua Bay up north. Beautiful area and secluded if there’s no tourist boats nearby.

You seem to like hiking - the back half of road to Hana (south of Haleleaka after the national park) was very beautiful, remote, and different from the rest of the island. There’s also this burger joint that “maui revealed” recommends.

Enjoy!!!
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

The most beautiful place on Earth I have seen (to date) is at the top of Mauna Kea on the Big Island. You feel like you are on top of the world, and I'd highly recommend it. We took a tour at night with Hawaii Forest and Trail and they were great.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

If you're seeking hiking, while on Maui, wife and I hiked the following:

Waihee Ridge Trail - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/hawa ... idge-trail
Pipiwai Trail (Waimoku Falls) - http://www.unrealhawaii.com/2013/04/pip ... oku-falls/
Haleakalā Sliding Sands - https://www.hawaii-guide.com/maui/hikin ... eoneheehee

Each is very different from the other. We've done each more than once.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
FrogPerson

Post by FrogPerson »

If you are looking for backpacking ideas - the BEST hike on the Islands is the Kalalau Trail on Kauai along the Napali coast. It's 11 mile to the beach where you can shower under a waterfall. It's noted to be difficult, but we didn't find it so - scary in parts, but absolutely gorgeous. We took two of our kids, then ages 9 and 14 with no problems (but we are Alaskans and used to tougher than most hikes and backpacking). Closed right now due to flood and landslide damage from the heavy rains last month. I'd plan to spend at least three nights down there - more if you can. It was colder at night than we planned on. And beware - not everyone wears clothes down there.

For lodging, we love VRBO - stock up at Costco, and absolutely you need a car. But be careful if you park it by trailheads - lots of break ins and thefts. We left our rental car UNLOCKED and empty, but some idiots still smashed the windows.

We also love the Kopoho volcanically heated tidepools on the big island - but it's a little more volcanically heated right now than normal....Have fun - we love Hawaii!
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Much depends on what you want to do.
Costco travels usually has some very good deals available with a rental car included.
You definitely want to rent a car. There is so much to do and see on this beautiful island. I wouldn't get anything bigger than a mid-size, especially if you do the Road to Hana trip.
Whale watching is best from Nov - Feb. I would also highly recommend using the Pacific Whale Institute for your excursion boat.
Kaanaapali...a few degrees cooler and usually winder then down in Wailea.
If you do the road to Hana (make sure no one has vertigo!), make sure you don't have an oversize car. The roads are beautiful, but small and curvy.
Kihei is great for a middle ground location for the beach side of the island.

Great restaurants all around the island
Miso Phat has the best sushi*** http://misophat.com/ Looks like they opened a second place in Kiehi.
There is a great sub sandwich shop in downtown Lahania Mr. Sub Sandwiches (129 Lahainaluna Rd )...if you are heading to the beach this is a great place to get some sandwiches.
Mamas fish house is probably one of the most expensive...but you have to respect the menu that tells you where your fish was caught and the name of the fisherman!
Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop….good food..GREAT desserts
Star Noodle…Great place (Iron chef), small place, I recommend get there by 11-11:30am for lunch..small place and they fill up fast!
Breakfast – Kiehi Café – Cash only! Excellent breakfast…many of the locals go there. Limited outside seating.
Café O Lei (Kiehi)….GREAT Ceviche!
Kimo’s (downtown Lahania)…beautiful sunset dinner…I recommend eating upstairs.
Eskimo Candy (Don’t you just love that name for a fish restaurant!) – Just a personal favorite.
Coffee house – Personal favorite is Maui Coffee Roasters (not far from the airport)– We even order their coffee online when we need a Kona coffee fix.

Beaches
If you like snorkeling, you may want to bring your own snorkel mask and breathing tube. But you may find it easier to rent fins for a week instead of dragging yours on a plane.
Around 4-5pm at Blackrock beach there is a family of large turtles that always come by at the rock area.
Ahihi Bay (The fish bowl)…great side of the road snorkeling

Side Notes:
I would definitely get the book “Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook”. It is written by people who live on the island and tell you about places that you may not normally hear about, (Giant blow hole or Slaughterhouse beach) and travel tips on the island. They may have an App for the book coming out. If you do the road to Hana, plan on stopping at the Seven Pools (of course you should always have a bathing suit in the car with you)

Bring your Costco card (if you have one). After you get your rental car, Costco is not far away (also a great place/cheapest to fill up before returning it to the airport). You can get some snacks to have or some booze and keep it in your hotel room.
The bike ride down Mount Haleakala is incredible. Do your research on the company you use. May be a good thing to do when you first get to the island because your body clock will be all screwed up and you will be getting up early anyway.

Concerts- Maui Arts Center – check out their schedule for great concerts.

Maui No Ka Oi!!!
Socrates

I have been to Maui six times

Post by Socrates »

i highly recommend staying in Kaanapali beach....any of the resorts there. It is a spectacular beach, I believe it has been rated one of the best in the world. Great walking paths with lots of places to eat. Best Starbucks in the world.....I would avoid Kiehe and Wailea. I also like the Northwest part of the island Napili/Kapalua.....a real taste of Hawaii that is not fake like Wailea.

I stay at the Whaler. Condos in the heart of major resorts for fairly cheap. I would go in early May if I could....I usually go end of May through mid June. By mid June it starts getting crowded as kids are out of school. Avoid Xmas and June through early August due to crowds. I book through Costco. Nice package of airfare, hotel and very easy car rental through Alamo. I stay for about 2.5 weeks at about $6500 for 2.

There are inexpenisve places to eat you just need to know where to look....PM me is you need help
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
gips

Post by gips »

Mr.BB wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:27 pm Side Notes:
I would definitely get the book “Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook”. It is written by people who live on the island and tell you about places that you may not normally hear about, (Giant blow hole or Slaughterhouse beach) and travel tips on the island. They may have an App for the book coming out. If you do the road to Hana, plan on stopping at the Seven Pools (of course you should always have a bathing suit in the car with you)
+1, we purchased the kindle book for Maui and and Kauai, very useful, also good recommendations for food. By having it on kindle, I was able to search and refer to it on my phone.
Bosserman

Post by Bosserman »

Visiting the peaks of Haleakala and Mauna Kea have both been recommended, so I can offer some specifics on each.

Haleakala (Maui) is an easy drive, with plenty of switchbacks but a wide paved road up the entire mountain. Tour buses will drive you to the top if you want to try biking down. If that's not your thing I would recommend self-driving for either sunrise or sunset. There are some great hiking trails that you can spend as much or as little time on as you would prefer, which you can do in combination with a sunrise or sunset viewing. Be sure to bring extra layers and plenty of snacks/water as the elevation is over 10,000 feet. As this is a national park there is an entrance fee, and if you plan on also visiting Volcanoes National Park you should purchase either the tri park pass ($30) or interagency pass ($80).

Mauna Kea (big island) is a more difficult drive. The drive up to the visitor's center is paved and similar to the road up Haleakala. However after this point it is primarily unpaved, often quite bumpy, and as such a 4 wheel drive vehicle is recommended. However, if you have the stomach for it, it is definitely possible to do in a standard vehicle, as I recently did in a Fusion hybrid. What's the difference between a 4WD vehicle and a rental car? A rental car can go anywhere. You just need to take your time, particularly on the way down. There is minimal hiking at the peak, so it's mostly about the views, and as such sunrise and sunset are the best times to visit. Tour buses will take you up for either if you would prefer not to drive, and will even provide parkas for you to stay warm. Bringing water and snacks is recommended as this one is over 14,000 feet, so minor altitude sickness is a concern even for those in good shape.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Haleakala is a fabulous bike ride. Best sunrise you will ever see if the clouds permit. Our bike guide told us that there are only 80 days a year when you get that great sunrise...we got lucky! Not a hard bike ride, only about 300 yards of actually pedaling at the bottom. It's all downhill, though your hands will get tired from all the braking. There are a lot of tour groups that do this ride, so do your homework when choosing one.
Last edited by ROIGuy on Tue May 15, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socrates

Heading to Maui on 5/31

Post by Socrates »

booked through Costco.....Aloha!

never stay in Wailea....it is not Hawaii......stay in Kapalua or Kaanapali........Visit Makawao
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

cheers!
These are cool pics and hawaii is awesome...but just so people know...this isnt what it looks like in person. These are heavily edited images.

I would still recommend going to hawaii...year after year after year :)
hightower

Post by hightower »

ponyboy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 am

cheers!
These are cool pics and hawaii is awesome...but just so people know...this isnt what it looks like in person. These are heavily edited images.

Lol, heavily edited? I used a polarizing filter to remove haze and reflections from the water, adjusted the shutter speed and aperture and also shot at sunset when the light is nice with a tripod, this is what it looked like there. I was there, I can vouch for it. Lol, thanks for warning everyone though
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

ponyboy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 am

cheers!

some good lighting and filters can make a setting pop. But probably not as heavily edited as “playboy & sport illustrated”
VaR

Post by VaR »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:04 pm
TierArtz wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm For cheap but fairly authentic Hawaiian food, try Zippy's and L&H BBQ. Try Loco Moco at least once.
Loco Moco looks great!!! I will do that! Just curious L&H appears to be L&L now? There are locations in So CAl (LA Area) Because that is a chain is it pretty much the same in both places?
Just a note of cultural sensitivity: both Zippy's and L&L are "local" food and usually aren't referred to as "Hawaiian" food, a term usually reserved for the cuisine originated from the foods eaten in (ancient) Hawaii pre-contact. That's the food that's usually associated with luaus - poi, kalua pig, lau lau, haupia, and of mysterious origin, lomi lomi salmon.

Also note that loco moco is for breakfast.

Also make sure to try poke. It'll be the actual authentic kind not the (weird) mainland poke that seems to have taken off here on the mainland. :)

I don't know about the L&Ls in California, but the ones that opened here is New York had the same food but suffered from inconsistency. Even the individual franchises in Hawaii vary in quality. I think it's due to the skill of the fry cook and the fact that the recipes require human skill unlike at many fast-food restaurants.

Zippy's are all of comparable quality due to the fact that it's a chain and I guess they have standards and training for their cooks? Not sure.

There are also many local restaurants and food trucks that you could check out. Neither Zippy's nor L&L have a exclusive on local food. They've just been the most successful at commercializing it as chains/franchises. I'll ask a friend of mine for some Maui & Big Island recommendations. She travels there quite frequently for work. Do you know which side of the island you'll be staying?
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I would pick an island and buy your airfare for a Saturday to a Saturday Occasionally you can get lucky but that's rare. Hawaii is busy year round with school holidays and summer being even busier and a little more expensive on airfaire. It's lovely in January/February since rest of the country is cold. I buy airfare early since airfare usually goes up. Many traditional timeshares rent Friday-Friday, Sat-Sat or sun to Sun. You can find a ton of last minute deals within a month. People will basically give it away for much less their annual fees. So a nice two bedroom Marriott, Hilton, etc... for $1,200 for the week for example. Parking is usually free when using timeshare from an owner. Rent car from Hawaii Discount Rental Car as it's consistently cheapest and easiest. You will spend a lot eating out but if you have a timeshare you can use the kitchen a couple meals a day. Plus, with the timeshare you have lots of space and you still get hotel amenities. Oahu is easiest to get deals as you have a great Marriott Ko Olina and also huge Hilton Hawaiian Village. Check Ebay, Redweek, CL, etc.... Obviously think a little before sending money to a stranger but we have never had a problem doing this. Good luck.