Arghhh! Oven Door Fell Off Again! <Update post 15>

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Carefreeap

Arghhh! Oven Door Fell Off Again! <Update post 15>

Post by Carefreeap » Thu May 03, 2018 2:46 pm

We have a Jenn-air Double Convection Oven in our home in AZ. It was installed in 2004 when it was our primary home. DH loves to cook and used it regularly. No problems during those five years other than the probe was defective and it was replaced. We moved out in 2009 and it has been tenant occupied. Only one tenant was a cook and regularly used it. But they only lived there for a year. In the last three years we have replaced three sets of hinges. First time first set of hinges for top oven failed. This is the oven used most often. Repair person moved hinges from lower oven to upper and came back after parts were received and replaced lower hinges. That was about two to three years ago. Shortly after our new tenants (this past March) moved in, hinges from top oven failed. We replaced those hinges. Yesterday I got an email from tenant. Lower oven hinges have failed after only three years. Of course warranty for labor is only 90 days.

New tenant likes to cook and loves the oven otherwise. Hinge repair is about $350. New higher end double oven (not sure I want to buy Jenn-air again) will run around $3k.

Repair person says he's finding none of these oven hinges (from any brand) are lasting more than about 10 years.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Carefreeap on Fri May 18, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Re: Arghhh! Oven Door Fell Off Again!

Post by neilpilot » Thu May 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Guess we're on borrowed time. The GE double oven in our home was there when we moved in 10 years ago, and I think it was new in or around 2002. We use the oven regularly, and have had no issues. Now if the door falls off, I'll think of you.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm

You could try to fix it yourself. Seems like a common problem, but the general door hinge fix is not sufficient and you have to find the right part to change the hanger in the oven itself if you can find the right part. That's going to be the challenge. BTW, $350 seems expensive to change out a few hinges ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmZQzLQeA0 ) that might cost about $50 in parts. Does the $350 replace the hanger inside the oven? And provide a lifetime warranty on the hinge? If it fell off again in 91 days, and every 91 days after the warranty expires, it can get very expensive.
gpilcher

07:49AM | 09/12/10
1 lifetime posts
JennAir is notorious for oven door problems, and JennAir also is notorious for denying the problem exists. Regardless, after the authorized JennAir/Whirlpool repairman could not solve the problem of the doors on a wall oven not closing properly, even after replacing hinges, door gaskets, and light switches, I found the answer on the internet.

The problem is that the hinge brackets/receptacles wear out and require replacement when replacing the hinges themselves. This is a defect, because there is absolutely no justification for something as basic as a hinge bracket to wear out. Here's an article written by a repairman who does a good job explaining the problem and enabled me to figure out how to solve it: http://www.bishopandsonappliancerepair. ... -problems/.

The hinge brackets are cheap and easy to replace. I did it myself. I bought the brackets for $7 each (two for each door). Replacing them took about 30 minutes.
https://www.bobvila.com/posts/31596-jen ... oor?page=5

The linked page from 2010 is dead, but here's the archive I was able to dig up. You might want to save the contents:
The repairmen had not changed out the receptacles along with the hinges! Not only were these receptacles worn out but they were also thinner and smaller than the new hinges. The proof was stairing me in the face, ” The repairmen had changed the hinges on the door but failed to remove the oven to replace the receptacles, and the manufacturer had misled me about the upgraded hinges. My guess is if they acknowledged a problem and admitted to the heavier upgraded hinge then they would become liable for providing the new hinges as a recalled item. We all know this would be very costly for the manufacturer.

On the lower oven I found that both the hinge and the receptacle were made of flimsier materials.

Now I went to my supplier and returned with two more hinge/ receptacle assemblies and installed all four of them new for my client.

The hinge/ receptacles which I removed were now unworthy of any modifications I might make due to the metal being too thin.

I am presently working on an entirely new designed hinge assembly for the Jenn Air Ovens . The new design eliminated most of the stress on the parts and will incorporate a leveraged spring/cam assembly to maintain even pressure/ resistance over the entire movement of the door.

This product will be available for purchase by Bishop and Son in the future and is expected to be less expensive than the factory OEM part while delivering smoother movement and much longer life than it’s predecessor.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110510153 ... ven-hinge/

These guys seem great. BTW, 408 area code is Phoenix.

jef

Post by jef » Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 pm

I had the same jenn-air oven with the same issues with the hinges. Had the hinges replaced but the door never worked right after that.. I finally threw in the towel and purchased a a double frigidaire oven for I think around $1,200. Looks and works great, but does not have convection. I'm happy with my decision.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:09 pm

I was unaware that this could happen. I would question the need for a $3,000 replacement oven! Could you find a reasonable alternative for a much lower cost?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 pm

I would think in a rental, a standard 30” stove might be a better choice. Tenants are hard on stuff.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm
You could try to fix it yourself. Seems like a common problem, but the general door hinge fix is not sufficient and you have to find the right part to change the hanger in the oven itself if you can find the right part. That's going to be the challenge. BTW, $350 seems expensive to change out a few hinges ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmZQzLQeA0 ) that might cost about $50 in parts. Does the $350 replace the hanger inside the oven? And provide a lifetime warranty on the hinge? If it fell off again in 91 days, and every 91 days after the warranty expires, it can get very expensive.
gpilcher

07:49AM | 09/12/10
1 lifetime posts
JennAir is notorious for oven door problems, and JennAir also is notorious for denying the problem exists. Regardless, after the authorized JennAir/Whirlpool repairman could not solve the problem of the doors on a wall oven not closing properly, even after replacing hinges, door gaskets, and light switches, I found the answer on the internet.

The problem is that the hinge brackets/receptacles wear out and require replacement when replacing the hinges themselves. This is a defect, because there is absolutely no justification for something as basic as a hinge bracket to wear out. Here's an article written by a repairman who does a good job explaining the problem and enabled me to figure out how to solve it: http://www.bishopandsonappliancerepair. ... -problems/.

The hinge brackets are cheap and easy to replace. I did it myself. I bought the brackets for $7 each (two for each door). Replacing them took about 30 minutes.
https://www.bobvila.com/posts/31596-jen ... oor?page=5

The linked page from 2010 is dead, but here's the archive I was able to dig up. You might want to save the contents:
The repairmen had not changed out the receptacles along with the hinges! Not only were these receptacles worn out but they were also thinner and smaller than the new hinges. The proof was stairing me in the face, ” The repairmen had changed the hinges on the door but failed to remove the oven to replace the receptacles, and the manufacturer had misled me about the upgraded hinges. My guess is if they acknowledged a problem and admitted to the heavier upgraded hinge then they would become liable for providing the new hinges as a recalled item. We all know this would be very costly for the manufacturer.

On the lower oven I found that both the hinge and the receptacle were made of flimsier materials.

Now I went to my supplier and returned with two more hinge/ receptacle assemblies and installed all four of them new for my client.

The hinge/ receptacles which I removed were now unworthy of any modifications I might make due to the metal being too thin.

I am presently working on an entirely new designed hinge assembly for the Jenn Air Ovens . The new design eliminated most of the stress on the parts and will incorporate a leveraged spring/cam assembly to maintain even pressure/ resistance over the entire movement of the door.

This product will be available for purchase by Bishop and Son in the future and is expected to be less expensive than the factory OEM part while delivering smoother movement and much longer life than it’s predecessor.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110510153 ... ven-hinge/

Thank you! I just left a message for him. :)

These guys seem great. BTW, 408 area code is Phoenix.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Fri May 04, 2018 5:28 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:09 pm
I was unaware that this could happen. I would question the need for a $3,000 replacement oven! Could you find a reasonable alternative for a much lower cost?
I was looking at double ovens at Lowe's today. $2500+ :(

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Fri May 04, 2018 5:33 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 pm
I would think in a rental, a standard 30” stove might be a better choice. Tenants are hard on stuff.
Ordinarily, I would agree and the simpler the better.

It's a higher end home in an expensive neighborhood and we are likely to put it into service as a second home at some point. As I posted earlier my husband likes to cook and therefore wants a nice oven. Ironically, very few of the tenants we've had over the last nine years actually cooked and used the oven(s). But the nice kitchen is one of the main reasons people like it.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 am

inbox788 wrote:
BTW, 408 area code is Phoenix.
That would be news to much of Silicon Valley.

jef

Post by jef » Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 am

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire ... &gclsrc=ds

You can pick this one up for around $1,200 on sale

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am

madbrain wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 am
inbox788 wrote:
Lol, moving from the Bay Area to the Greater Phoenix area was a challenge for this mildly dyslexic person. But I knew what he meant. :wink:

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 am

jef wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 am
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire ... &gclsrc=ds

You can pick this one up for around $1,200 on sale
Thanks. Right now it's showing about $1500. We're headed to AZ this weekend and we can take a look at it on Sunday. There's a Best Buy about 10 miles from the house. I'll see how much the estimate to repair is from the hinge expert. One thing I noticed from the double ovens at Lowe's is that they are all interior hinged (vs. old style bolted on). According to my appliance guy all brands are failing at about year 10.

If the hinge expert is correct and the problem has been weak replacement hinges/receptors than the new repair should be good enough. This new tenant (who does quite a bit of baking herself) loves the way the oven cooks. Since the oven has only been used for about 7 years I think it still has plenty of life left in it. I hate filling up the landfill with still useful appliances. And if the unit had other problems I would definitely get rid of it. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Thanks again for your replies and the link. I really appreciate it!

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:04 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 am
inbox788 wrote:
You didn't get the memo?

lysdexics of the world unite!
Carefreeap wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am
Lol, moving from the Bay Area to the Greater Phoenix area was a challenge for this mildly dyslexic person. But I knew what he meant. :wink:
I don't think I'm dyslexic, just sloppy, and google's amazing spellcorrection has made my typing accuracy go from 98% down to 75 or 80% and sometimes worse, and still can read my mind and fix things. I consider this a failure of google not, not mine. When is BH getting the google content correction module installed?

Example, search for "gawauu vikcabi" and see what you get.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 am

Update!

First I want to thank the Boglehead community for the support and advice.

I was able to reach Rick Bishop of Bishop Appliances and he made the long haul from Mesa to Carefree. In a nutshell my appliance guy did not do the full repair correctly and failed to lock the hinges into the door properly. So while the hinges were replaced with the better hinges, they were popping out when the door was opened because they weren't locked in correctly.

My appliance guy is a nice person and I don't believe he was lazy or careless, just didn't know what he was doing. I will contact him to close the loop. While it would be nice to get reimbursed for the last repair he did, the main reason to contact him is to advise him that he needs to get in touch with other people that he's done the same repair for. It's a dangerous situation. We are very lucky that my tenant didn't get hurt as she was pulling out a hot dish when the door fell out of it's hinge with the other. She's a strong woman and was able to balance with the dish in one hand and the oven door with the other. Not everyone could do that.

I'll report back when I get my guy's response. I'm not expecting much but we'll see what kind of character he really is.

frugalmama

Re: Arghhh! Oven Door Fell Off Again! <Update post 15>

Post by frugalmama » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am

I had the Jen-air convection ovens and no longer have it. It was already installed in the house when I moved in (2 of them actually). My problems started with the hinges appearing to melt/crack/break. Shortly after that, the circuit board decided to malfunction and somehow in the process the oven door metal appeared to melt so it would not close right. Just be careful when you use it as I could not get the oven to turn off and actually had to unplug it. After that, we decided to just replace both units as it wasn't worth it to us...the oven was having too many problems and I was concerned that it could create a house fire.