Maple syrup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wilked

Maple syrup

Post by wilked »

Where does everyone buy?

What kind of price point ($/gal) do people pay?

We use a lot of syrup...
HueyLD

Re: Maple syrup

Post by HueyLD »

Are you a Costco member?

If you consume a lot of maple syrup, just the savings from maple syrup alone can pay for the membership cost.
keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy »

Here in NE Ohio, we do a lot of sugaring. I usually drive down the road and buy it from Amish who have there own sugar house. A gallon goes for $38.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 am Are you a Costco member?

If you consume a lot of maple syrup, just the savings from maple syrup alone can pay for the membership cost.
Wouldn't that be true for any item at Costco? :P
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
Topic Author
wilked

Post by wilked »

Looks like amazon best price is $60/gal
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (syrup).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

obafgkm wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 am
HueyLD wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 am Are you a Costco member?

Wouldn't that be true for any item at Costco? :P
Yes sirree!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We get our syrup mostly for free. It helps to have relatives that live in Maine.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
wilked

Post by wilked »

How much is it at Costco?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post claiming a relationship between sugar consumption and a disease. This constitutes medical advice and is off-topic. As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I'm careful to buy maple syrup and not the stuff that tries to pass for maple syrup. I like to support local producers also. So I read labels, price stickers not so much.
jainn

Post by jainn »

. . . .
Last edited by jainn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chw

Post by chw »

Costco online. Free shipping last time I ordered about 6 months ago.
NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN »

Here is a dumb thought -try making your own - although it is fun if you enjoy doing things yourself. We have several maples on our property - maybe 6 sugar (3 that are tapping size) maples and another 6 or 8 red (3 that are tapping size). It is NOT cheaper than buying - especially if you want to value your time - treat it as a hobby. I bought some small diameter taps (there are two sizes) and some tubing on Amazon, along with a steam pan (the kind used by caters to keep food warm) and some reusable filters and bottles. I ran the taps into cleaned out milk jugs (keeps debris and ants out). Saved up a few gallons over a week and boiled on a Saturday. It took all day, but its fun to play with fire. Also used propane camp stove. Again, I definitely did not save any money. Over 2 full days of boiling (after week 1 of tapping and again after week 3 of tapping) and one evening of finishing, I ended up with 7 bottles of homemade syrup. Of course, I think it tastes better, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. If you have access to more trees, there is a measure of efficiency as you do more trees. I'm planning on tapping 2 or 3 additional trees next year. It also gives me a reason to move around outside in February in central Indiana.
BL

Post by BL »

Geauga County (OH) Maple Festival is going on right now. I bet you could find some there.
Live at:
http://162.248.40.68/view/viewer_index.shtml
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am How much is it at Costco?
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 33884.html
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I purchased maple syrup once from costco. It was cheap, but that was like 5 years ago.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

We generally only ever use maple syrup when having waffles for breakfast (I cook waffles typically for Sunday breakfast), so we're not huge consumers. When needed, I pick up a small bottle (around 10 ounces or so) at the local Publix, Kroger, or Food City. Alternatively, if we happen to be passing through the Smoky Mountain National Park (less than an hour away), I'll get some there at the Sugarlands Visitor Center.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Pure Maple, Grade B, Amazon.

gasdoc
carolc

Post by carolc »

I always buy it from a local farmer at one of our farmers markets. I prefer to keep my money in the community if I can. Of course I live in NH so plenty of sugar maples available.

carolc
Topic Author
wilked

Post by wilked »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 am
wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am How much is it at Costco?
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 33884.html
$50/gal

Thanks for the link
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:25 pm$50/gal
Costco is my default, but I've also bought from Amazon at similar prices. I just took a look and there's 1000 results for "maple syrup", a few are similarly priced as Costco, especially if you are buying in bulk.
wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:33 amLooks like amazon best price is $60/gal
This one is $42+shipping ($12). Didn't look too hard. Sometimes, you can find free shipping or pickup, other times, lowest price adds shipping fees.
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Man-Syrup ... 00SXLZGK2/

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Vermont-M ... 0799QLX66/

The 5 gallon tub would last me quite along time.
cantos

Post by cantos »

Buy local or make your own if at all possible. I can definitely taste the difference. To the point where I firmly believe store brands are watered down with corn syrup.
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 am Where does everyone buy?

What kind of price point ($/gal) do people pay?

We use a lot of syrup...
Maple Syrup comes in different grades, rated based on color. The darker the color, the stronger the flavor. Some prefer the very light versions because the flavor is more nuanced. The darker grades might be a better choice if using for cooking or in strongly flavored foods like yogurt. The price can vary quite a bit between grades, and change substantially during the year. You also might have an easier time finding light syrup near where it's produced earlier in the season. If possible, try a few different grades and see what you prefer.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I paid $15.99 for a 32 oz container of Grade A Amber.
Very good taste.
I have been using it in my coffee and tea for years.
Also use it on my hot cakes.

Don
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

Real maple syrup may taste much different than the "pancake syrup" found in the grocery store.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

We buy from Costco, it was $14/qt and the quality is excellent (as far as I can tell, I'm not that discerning)

If you don't want that much syrup, Trader Joe's has smaller bottles for reasonable (higher unit cost than Costco, but nowhere near as bad as the grocery store rip-off) prices.
Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me »

Costco :D
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

We make our own - about 200 gallons a year. We are selling it for $40 a gallon and it is better than the imported stuff from costco.

And when yu are making syrup, you do NOT use maple trees that are not sugar maples.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Smucker's Sugar Free Syrup
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

I have fond memories of the time I spent in N Vt. For many years after I left I bought syrup from my friends who sugared.
I live out west now. About the only place to buy syrup is Costo. It's gotten more expensive over the years. Used to get 1/2 gallon of Canadian syrup grade A Dark for the same price I now pay for a quart. Not sure if the Canadian grading system is the same as used in States.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I get mine from LL Bean.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

You guys are making me long for our days in rural upstate NY. Literally, our electrician had a sugar farm--talk about local! Of course, it turned us into "syrup snobs".

Nowadays, we get it at Aldi. Prices can vary quite a bit--if you don't have a local source (worth extra $$, IMHO), try looking in Walmart, or any grocery chain. For example, Food Lion, in the South, has the same parent company as Hannaford, based in Maine. So, they'd be a good potential source.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Regular price at Wegmans here is $24/half gallon.

We use a lot as well.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I trade pure honey for maple syrup from a syrup maker in Wisconsin. He sends me a case of syrup every year and I send him a case of honey. I've been doing it for over two decades now.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

Based on some of the responses, I will have to try the costco one. I've been using Maple Grove Farms all this time. Thanks!
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Costco probably has the best value for real syrup but I'm sure there is better tasting stuff for 4-5x the price. The fake goo almost makes me gag now.

Woodinville whiskey company makes a bourbon barrel aged maple syrup that is amazingly good. Just the right amount of whiskey taste. But its $20 from the distillery for a pretty small bottle or it looks like amazon has it for $25.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I use only a tiny splash of it on my oatmeal once a week and my husband has waffles only occasionally, so the jug from Costco lasts us a long time.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Whats actually in our refrigerator right now appears to be (Costco) Kirkland, Grade A, "dark color," one liter. We're not picky. I simply enjoy living in a place where real maple syrup is easy to find. We usually buy the one-liter size, when we run out we buy more, in whatever place is convenient, and pay whatever the price happens to be.

Real maple syrup (100%) is incomparably better than any kind of "pancake syrup" or "table syrup" or maple-"flavored" anything. I don't know what we paid for it last time. It lasts a long time and we don't have any problem paying what it costs. I haven't tried to be scientific about it, but it is not as expensive as it seems because it has a much more intense flavor than Mrs. Butterworth's or what have you, and I use less of it.

I've heard that grade B tastes better than grade A but it's not easy to find. We tried it once and I didn't notice a difference. Nor do I notice any difference based on origin (Maine, Vermont, New York, or Canada).

But, seriously, the real stuff. The difference between maple syrup and maple-flavored syrup is ten times as much as the difference between any real maple syrup and any other real maple syrup. In my opinion.

PS I wouldn't swear to it in court but I think that when I was a little kid you could still get Log Cabin (fake) syrup in metal cans that were shaped and painted to look like a little log cabin. That's apropos of nothing and it wasn't as good as maple syrup but it was cute.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Syrup grades were altered a few years back, it is all Grade A now with descriptors to distinguish the lighter grades (think stand-alone use) from darker grades (think baking).

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... de-article
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm Syrup grades were altered a few years back, it is all Grade A now with descriptors to distinguish the lighter grades (think stand-alone use) from darker grades (think baking).

That is a matter of taste. I always buy what used to be called Grade B....the darker stuff....has a richer maple flavor that I prefer to the more clear/amber. Price is usually the same. I buy by the gallon from local producers....use it for essentially everything instead of sugar or honey (except baking).
guyesmith

Post by guyesmith »

Here in Western Pennsylvania it's usually around $60/Gallon for real maple syrup.
keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy »

guyesmith wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm Here in Western Pennsylvania it's usually around $60/Gallon for real maple syrup.
You should just drive across the border, as here in Ohio it goes for around $38/gallon. Areas like Burton and Middlefield Oh are known for making syrup.
guyesmith

Post by guyesmith »

keinodoggy wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm
guyesmith wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm Here in Western Pennsylvania it's usually around $60/Gallon for real maple syrup.
You should just drive across the border, as here in Ohio it goes for around $38/gallon. Areas like Burton and Middlefield Oh are known for making syrup.
Maybe. People make it around here too, but for some reason $15/Quart seems like the standard. Not sure why. I'm about 2 hours from Ohio. That's a long way for syrup. Better come with pancakes! :D
keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy »

guyesmith wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:37 pm
keinodoggy wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm
Maybe. People make it around here too, but for some reason $15/Quart seems like the standard. Not sure why. I'm about 2 hours from Ohio. That's a long way for syrup. Better come with pancakes! :D
Perhaps PA has a high sugar tax........like your state gas tax! Lol! We have many motorists that cross from PA to Oh just to save money on gas here. :sharebeer
bdb

Post by bdb »

trader joes
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Cycle wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am I purchased maple syrup once from costco. It was cheap, but that was like 5 years ago.
Still working on that same tub of syrup :eek:
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

tim1999 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:17 am Smucker's Sugar Free Syrup
You realize that it is a bottle of liquid Splenda with food coloring and some other chemicals, and not maple syrup, right? I used to love Michele's pecan flavored syrup until I realized that it was just corn syrup.

I buy Costco maple syrup. You have to buy 6 bottles of it to avoid the $3 per bottle shipping fee, but it might be worth it to you. I bought 10 bottles when they were $10.99 a liter and haven't had to buy more in quite some time.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm Syrup grades were altered a few years back, it is all Grade A now with descriptors to distinguish the lighter grades (think stand-alone use) from darker grades (think baking).

Grade A: Golden Color and Delicate Taste
Grade A: Amber Color and Rich Flavor
Grade A: Dark Color and Robust Flavor
Grade A: Very Dark and Strong Flavor

Ewwwwww! I wish I could forget that. "They're all the best!"
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Tal-

Post by Tal- »

wilked wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:33 am Looks like amazon best price is $60/gal
I'd wage Costco will sell it in 50 gallon barrels...
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.