Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
denovo

Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by denovo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm

"Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99"

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-rai ... 9-from-99/
Amazon finance chief Brian Olsavsky said Thursday that his company will hike Prime's fee to $119 a year, from $99, on May 11. The new price will apply to existing Prime members' renewals starting June 16. Olsavsky made the comments during an earnings call with analysts. If your regular renewal is on or after June 16, you won't be allowed to prepay for another year at the currently lower rate, an Amazon spokeswoman said.

It's only the second time Amazon has increased the cost of its annual Prime membership since it was first introduced in 2005, with the company in 2014 raising the price to $99 from $79.
Are any price-sensitive Bogleheads gonna cancel? IMO, at 120 it's bordering on a bad deal for me.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

SlowMovingInvestor

Re: Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 pm

I don't have Prime. I can generally bundle up enough items to make it to $25, and then it's free shipping. And packages normally get to me in only 4 days or so, sometimes even 2 days.

I don't currently watch enough TV to justify getting Prime only for Amazon Prime Video.
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 pm

So it’s $10/month, up from $8.33. Psychologically $119 seems like quite a bit more than $99 though.

I get quite a bit of value out of Amazon Prime Video and Amazon is very convenient for shopping.

But I am being more careful now to check prices. That’s the biggest dealbreaker for me, if they start charging significantly more for what I can buy at Walmart, Costco, or Target. I’m willing to pay a bit more for convenience but it should be competitive. As long as they don’t have multiple prices for the same product depending who is searching, or stealthily raise the costs of subscribed items, or any other shenanigans I am a happy customer. Their customer service has always been great.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:01 pm

It's only the second time Amazon has increased the cost of its annual Prime membership since it was first introduced in 2005, with the company in 2014 raising the price to $99 from $79.
Once again, Amazon missed the obvious. The price should be a prime number as it originally was. 79 is a prime number. 99 is not. 119 is not. My inner geek is sad.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm

When Amazon delivers on its offer to Prime customers I am happy to pay for the service. I live in a community where there are few shopping alternatives. But in the last 6 mos or so, there are more and more instances where prime deliveries are late, and we are sometimes gone. Doesn’t work for us unless they meet their commitments,

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 pm

Still a good deal for us. We use Prime Video, Prime Photos and sometimes Amazon Music. That plus 5% back on purchases and fast shipping makes it worth it.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Good deal here.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Like cable increases, the $119 increase is because of the costs of licensing content for Prime Video and Prime Music. https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/why-amazo ... be-a-flop/ says they are they're spending up to $1B on a Lord of the Rings show alone. Wish they had a shipping-only option back at $79 without that.

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:00 am

I had considered dropping Amazon Prime a late last year and decided against it. The main thing that swayed my decision was the 5% cash back credit card I use to make all my purchases. Without Amazon Prime the cash back drops down to 3%. In effect, if you spend $5,000 ($6,000 for the new Annual price) with Amazon (and Whole foods) a year, your prime membership is paid for by the 2% extra cash back.

I don't track exactly how much I spend with them but I know it is enough that a good chunk of the $120 annual fee is refunded back to me via the 2% extra on the cash back credit card, so the actual cost to me works out to be much lower.

z91

Post by z91 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 am

I won't be renewing. Bezos has shown his greedy side and I no longer wish to support that.

I don't buy enough and never use other services other than 2 day shipping. Already pay for Netflix which has more than I need for video.

Just beware, if you pay annually there is no prorated refund. Cancel on the last day to make it worthwhile.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 am

Living in a rural community, Amazon is where its at for almost anything I can get from them. Local stores are expensive and have very limited selection.

Even for things that the Walmart in town carries, I just go to Amazon and put it in the shopping cart. The trip to town is 10 miles each way, so the time and gas savings are substantial.

$20 per year extra for prime is a fleabite.

Plus, anything I don't like I can send back. Never a problem.

zoneinfo

Post by zoneinfo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 am

I was a loyal Amazon shopper from the mid-90's until 3 or 4 years ago when I cancelled Prime and haven't purchased anything from them since.

I found that Amazon now has a big problem with counterfeit merchandise that I simply don't have to worry about when I shop with their competitors.

I'd argue buying from Amazon (whether Prime is $119, $99 or $5) is akin to shopping from Alibaba or a DollarStore - you're just going to end up unknowingly purchasing knock offs and unlabeled irregulars. You'll get more value for your dollar shopping elsewhere.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:40 am

Grrrrr. A 20% price hike.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:41 am

Not a good deal anymore. I don't order much from Amazon - I've been finding that other stores, even eBay, have better prices. You don't always get two day shipping but if I need something right now I never got it in two days anyway because of an inevitable delay. They also took a very long time to fix the issue with vendors giving out freebies to get five star reviews, and frankly I am not convinced that the problem is fixed from some highly rated merchandise I bought which turned out to be not very good.

I still have the Amazon credit card and I may go ahead and cancel that as well.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 am

Which just reminds me once again that Amazon often is not the best deal.

Mainly because I want to spread my shopping around a bit to preserve competition, I just checked Bed Bath and Beyond's website for a gift I was planning to get for my wife. It was a couple bucks cheaper than Amazon, and also included free shipping. Not 2 day free shipping, but I very seldom actually have a reason to need 2 day shipping.
rolandtorres wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Wish they had a shipping-only option back at $79 without that.
That would indeed be a lot more compelling. I don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, and the occasionally onerous requirements like having streaming device less than 2 years old really soured me on Amazon Video. My TV was 2-1/2 years old when Amazon decided it was obsolete and disabled (not simply ceased supporting) the app needed to access the service:
https://liliputing.com/2015/08/amazon-p ... -sets.html

Of course, there's the option of just buying a new streaming stick every time they pull a sleazy move like this, but that shouldn't be necessary. I've heard they changed their minds a few months later, presumably due to the backlash, but the willingness to cut off presumably hundreds of thousands or more subscribers without even notifying them, much less providing a refund for the service they were paid for and consciously chose not to provide was inexcusable.

msi

Post by msi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:48 am

I'm going to keep paying for it. I read something on Doctor of Credit though to get the old price for a year by gifting yourself a membership while it's still at the old price https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amazon-t ... -may-11th/

I love Amazon Music, Prime Video, and the 2 day shipping. Very much worth it for me.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 am

A can of pringles used to cost me fifty cents,
Everybody has to make a living
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:07 am

I never considered Prime to be all that great a deal, based solely on "free shipping" and the occasional stream on Roku. But I have several Echo Dot boxes deployed through the house, and I find that I have come to like the ability to play expanded music selections from them. So I'm not outright inclined to cancel at this point. $120 per year works out to $10 per month, which is still less than a subscription to satellite radio.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

student

Post by student » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am

I will continue to use it. It is interesting that just recently it started giving discount to EBT and Medicaid customers.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:40 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 pm
I don't have Prime. I can generally bundle up enough items to make it to $25, and then it's free shipping. And packages normally get to me in only 4 days or so, sometimes even 2 days.

I don't currently watch enough TV to justify getting Prime only for Amazon Prime Video.
+1

I had it when it was $79 or (?) but the TV/video selection got kinda old quick (maybe its different now)

and 2 day shipping started to slowly become 3-4 days. Now, like you, I order $25 or more and get an item in nearly the same time I'd get it with Prime. I'm ok w/ a few day wait. Anything I need more urgently I head to the local store.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:47 am

I stopped paying for Prime six years ago, and I don't miss it. I let items accumulate in my shopping basket until I have enough to qualify for free shipping, and then I place my order. Shipping takes a week, but that's fine with me.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:01 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:47 am
I stopped paying for Prime six years ago, and I don't miss it. I let items accumulate in my shopping basket until I have enough to qualify for free shipping, and then I place my order. Shipping takes a week, but that's fine with me.
+1 Same with me. And I sometimes find better deal at Walmart so I order it online to ship it home or pick it up at local store.

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am

JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm
When Amazon delivers on its offer to Prime customers I am happy to pay for the service. I live in a community where there are few shopping alternatives. But in the last 6 mos or so, there are more and more instances where prime deliveries are late, and we are sometimes gone. Doesn’t work for us unless they meet their commitments,
If you send them a message, they will give you a free month of prime for every instance a prime package is late. I track this very carefully and end up with a few free months a year.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

Meh. $10/mo is still a good deal for what amounts to a music and a video streaming service. Amazon music may not have every new album that gets released but honestly, who listens to the god awful new music anyway 8-) The 2 day delivery is just a bonus—we rarely order things from amazon, they’re rarely the cheapest anymore.

I just maneuvered back onto a $39.99/mo internet package so in total we will now pay $49.99/mo for internet, amazon TV, amazon prime music, and Netflix. I have a deal with my mom—I pay for Amazon she pays for Netflix and we share the passwords.

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am

If you search for deals - you can probably still keep Prime for $99 or less:
1) Student prime membership is substantially less
2) Ibotta and other coupon sites - usually have a "save $20 / or get a $20 gift card" offer on Prime membership deal.

The only reason I subscribe to Prime is for Amazon video content. I like to take a year break from Prime every other year. That way I get all new episodes of the Prime shows every time it's renewed. Taking a break from Prime is also a good way to save on it.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 am

I am somehow grandfathered in to a Prime plan set up by my late husband which allows my two adult daughters, my mom, and my sister-in-law to piggyback off my membership (they get free shipping though not the other benefits I get). I will be staying —but i will also renew early this year to at least secure $99 deal for one more year.

Edited to add: I like using Prime music on Amazon Echo devices in multiple places in my home. I have also gotten special price deals bailable to Prime subscribers. (Memorably, paid $30 for my Echo dots and paid $69 for my Instant Pot on Prime Day). And I get the 5% cash back with my Prime card.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am

We cancelled yesterday at the end of our term, unrelated to the price hike, we just don't find it to be a good value since we don't buy much.

For gizmos and doodads, prices are better on eBay or AliExpress anyways, all Amazon does is hold the same stuff in a local wharehouse so u can get it quicker.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:47 am
:beer that will be my strategy since membership term ended yesterday

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 am

I just moved into a new house. I once again feel lucky to have Amazon Prime, where I can decide that I need a whizdoodle for the house, order it at a reasonable price, and have it delivered to my new address in two days, without having to provide my credit card information and shipping address to some new company that specializes in whizdoodles.

Could I have gotten the whizdoodle cheaper at WeSpecializeInWhizdoodles? Possibly. After my free shipping and the 5% back on my Amazon Card, possibly not.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

junior

Post by junior » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 am

I only spend about a thousand dollars a year on Amazon.com and probably 15% or more is digital content where "free shipping" wouldn't matter. The only Prime exclusive show I watch is The Tick. I'm thinking the price increase isn't worth it. I do have an Amazon.com card but I don't think the 5% back gets me ahead of the Prime fee. I'm thinking of discontinuing the service. There's also the fact that that treat their warehouse employees poorly...

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 am

Amazon has hooked me...I don't think my inner child can ever regain the patience required to move away from 2-day shipping. I loathe buying things from other online retailers when I have to wait up to a week for a package. Being a new parent, it's especially nice...know you're going to need something for the kid soon? boom, amazon. No more energy required than a click or two on my phone.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 am

If you truly take advantage of all the services that Prime includes, it is still a tremendous value. Prime Video, Prime Music, free Washington Post subcription (6 months), Prime Photos, plus the free 2-day shipping is a great value.

The thing that isn't a great deal is that generally, Amazon's pricing on all of their items isn't that good and is often more expensive than Target.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am

No, it still gives me more than enough value to renew. Normally a 20% hike would send me looking for alternatives, but not in this case. We just get so much value in so many areas: prime video, prime music, Kindle-related stuff, cloud storage and photos, and 2-day shipping. We bought a prime exclusive phone in December that gave us enough discount to cover the membership cost for a year by itself. Don't tell Bezos, but I would actually pay more.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am

I was paying $10/mo for Apple music; I dropped it and started listening to Amazon music which has sufficient variety and quantity of songs for my tastes. So, now for that same $10/mo I get all the music and video and photo backup I want plus free shipping, not to mention all the savings from not having to shop as much: less gasoline purchased, less wear and tear on my vehicles, and for the greenies, drum roll, drum roll - fewer CO2 emissions. I'm saving money (and for those who believe it - the planet). :happy
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 am

Honestly, with 2 kids and both parents working the concept of Amazon in general is a godsend. I am not sure how ANYONE had the time to go shopping for stuff let alone at the last minute. Then throw in the prime service gets stuff ASAP (1-2 days at most) can't be beat. I don't remember the last time I walked into a department store to buy something unless I needed it that exact day and/ or amazon didn't carry it.

The prime videos is just a bonus to the real saving of my time.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

queso

Post by queso » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 am

Your post prompted me to explore Amazon order history reports to determine whether or not the price hike is worth it to me. The good news is that it is definitely worth it for me. The bad news is that additional 2% back is earning me a few hundred dollars beyond the Prime fee so now I have to figure out how to deal with household Amazon abuse. :D

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 am

If I need something within two days, it is a $50 bill worth of gas to drive to the urban jungle and back and then I have to deal with all you people to boot. Amazon would be a deal for me at three times this new price.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 am

I'll probably drop it.

Their Prime shipping speed have been slipping. The "guaranteed delivery by" is a joke as the guarantee is no longer backed by anything whereas they used to thrown in a month of Prime as a guarantee.

I found Netflix have more content relevant to me than Amazon Video.

Will miss Amazon Music and Amazon Photo

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am

My goto shopping place is Amazon. I've been a prime member long enough I don't remember when I started. For us, it saves time, and the discounts and free shipping raise it to a preferred vendor status for us.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 am

My wife and I spend about about $7K per year at Amazon, all charged to our Amazon credit card. The Amazon card gives us a 5% rebate on Amazon purchases. Our other cash reward credit card (BoA) gives us something under a 2.5% net rebate. Since 2.5% of $7K represents an incremental $175 rebate, which is more than $119, we will probably renew our Prime membership even though we do not use any of the other Prime perks.

As newspaper editorials are starting to comment, Amazon is a real juggernaut compared to local brick and mortar stores. Amazon's prices are generally the same as, and occasionally better than, local retail prices, including holiday sale prices. We do not have to expend any personal time or car depreciation and gasoline expense to buy or return Amazon items, and Amazon has the best customer service we have ever experienced.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am

Amazon is a master of taking advantage of two things: 1- People have to have what they want when they want it. 2- People tend to procrastinate, so they buy things when they NEED it rather than planning in advance to get the best prices.

That being said, my wife has an Amazon prime membership and loves the 2 day shipping and convenient selection at Amazon.

I personally am an Ebay -er and Google-er for the best deals, most often they are not at Amazon (rarely they are). We have a successful business and I save tens of thousands every year shopping prices (we buy a lot). Examples (purchase printer cartridges routinely on Ebay at $150, retail at Amazon $350-$450; purchased an all in one desktop refurbished on Ebay $<400, Retail new on Amazon $>1,200).

In addition, Amazon now charges sales tax routinely in my state whereas most of my purchases on Ebay are out of state, another 7% saved there. Amazon gives very little back with Ebates compared to other online retailers as well.

The trick is to anticipate what you need in advance, spend some initial effort finding the best deals and then in the future can repurchase from the same places at the best prices. When I find a great deal, I purchase in bulk for even better pricing.

Doing this has allowed us to maintain a take home annual income well over $1,000,000 annually. So the cost of prime membership obviously doesn't concern me, but I don't just purchase at Amazon just because we have membership - most Americans do and Jeff Bezos advertises this fact. Hence he has become the wealthiest man in the world while many are not getting the best deals.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 am

Tried to buy a product I wanted in store. Drove to one, checked the websites for another and it wasn't stocked in stores, and called another who didn't have it, then ordered on amazon. Prime stays, I don't care what amazon charges within reason to be honest because the convenience coupled with hassle free customer service is worth a whole lot.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 am

md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am
Doing this has allowed us to maintain a take home annual income well over $1,000,000 annually.
:shock: The fee is negligible with your income.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 am

I'm on the fence but leaning towards leaving when prime membership expires in Feb.

Walmart shipping to store for pickup have many times been same day (car parts) and cheaper.

Since we have Netflix, except for a few great TV shows on Prime, we really are on video choice overload.

I've always enjoyed reading the reviews on Amazon (not prime dependent) but after watching my grandson establish
his account and get initial reviews (from relatives and friends) I'm now dubious about relying on them as much as I did in
the past.

I like the suggestion from another poster in regards to taking a break from prime for a year or so.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

queso

Post by queso » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:26 am

student wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 am
md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am
Doing this has allowed us to maintain a take home annual income well over $1,000,000 annually.
:shock: The fee is negligible with your income.
You'd probably come out ahead billing a couple more hours at your practice and using Prime rather than spending that time shopping around. :happy

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 am

I have a still-thriving regional mall including a Nordstrom within walking distance but a trip in the car to Walmart, Target or Home Depot takes over an hour. I've had reliable delivery to my house with Amazon. I'll continue to use Amazon Prime because I don't mind paying for convenience and want to use my free time for something other than shopping but do wish they had an option without the media bundling. I do watch prices (I would not pay $300 for a printer cartridge I could get elsewhere for $150 but I don't mind buying a printer cartridge at Amazon for $150 that I could get from another online or brick and mortar store for $149). I do not buy clothing from Amazon very often (often disappointed with results).

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:41 am

z91 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 am
I won't be renewing. Bezos has shown his greedy side and I no longer wish to support that.
Exactly this. I used to use Amazon for buying DVDs and Blu-ray discs. But then I heard about the atrocious work environment of the Amazon employees. The CEO has $100 billion and the warehouse workers are urinating in plastic bottles because they can't take a bathroom break? So I was done with sending money to Amazon. Now I buy my movies from one of two local used movie and video game stores, yard sales, or Craigslist. The price is usually pretty comparable, and I'd rather help the little guy.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:41 am
z91 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 am
Exactly this. I used to use Amazon for buying DVDs and Blu-ray discs. But then I heard about the atrocious work environment of the Amazon employees. The CEO has $100 billion and the warehouse workers are urinating in plastic bottles because they can't take a bathroom break? So I was done with sending money to Amazon. Now I buy my movies from one of two local used movie and video game stores, yard sales, or Craigslist. The price is usually pretty comparable, and I'd rather help the little guy.
Do you honestly believe this is true?

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:02 am

It is interesting that Amazon raises Prime on the same day it shows record profits:
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/26/a ... ares-soar/
"Amazon’s quarterly profit more than doubles; shares soar"
Best Wishes, | Joe

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am

never used it... never will like membership warehouse...it encourages you to buy things you don't need so you feel you're getting your monies worth.
Act soon... time is running out