What happens when you speak in TICKER language.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ruralavalon

Re: A Rant about Ticker Speak

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 am

It's easy to transpose the letters in the ticker symbol, and create confusion concerning what fund you mean to refer to.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am

I agree completely about "ticker speak." Even when speaking of the most commonly mentioned mutual funds in this forum, it is confusing because many Vanguard index funds have at least three ticker symbols, for investor and Admiral shares of the mutual funds, and for the ETF. Even if you know VTSMX you might not recognize VTSAX or VTI.

However, I don't think there is anything better to do about it other than try to set a good example.

There's no point in yelling at anyone who uses an unidentified ticker symbol, because that is even ruder than using the ticker symbol in the first place. Indeed, the forum has an actual rule against "personal attack," but there is no actual rule against ticker symbols--it's just bad taste.

If I am responding in such a thread, I always try to name the company and follow it with the ticker symbol in parentheses.

I am afraid I often shorten the names of familiar Vanguard mutual funds by omitting the words Vanguard, index, and fund: e.g. "Total Stock." I hope that's harmless...
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

100% VTSAX

Post by 100% VTSAX » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 am

Does this mean I have to change my username? :mrgreen:
All in 100% VTSAX - 100% Simplicity | Bogle-ing since 2016

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 am

100% VTSAX wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 am
Only if you drop below $10,000. :D
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 am
100% VTSAX wrote:
LOL
(Laugh Out Loud Inc.)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 am
100% VTSAX wrote:
Made me laugh :D :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 am

100% VTSAX wrote:
As you get closer to retirement you can either change "100%" to "some" or just fully commit to "100% VBTLX"

j :D

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:11 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 am
100% VTSAX wrote:
As you get closer to retirement you can either change "100%" to "some" or just fully commit to "100% VBTLX"

j :D
Haha...clever!
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

MnD

Post by MnD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm

.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... - --- .--. / .--. --- ... - .. -. --. / .. -. / - .. -.-. -.- . .-. / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .... . -. / - .... . -.-- / -... .-. .. -. --. / -... .- -.-. -.- / .--. --- .-.. .-.. ...

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

100% VTSAX wrote:
Does this mean I have to change my username?
100% VTSAX:

It wouldn't hurt if you want us to know the fund's name. :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

MnD wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm
.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... - --- .--. / .--. --- ... - .. -. --. / .. -. / - .. -.-. -.- . .-. / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .... . -. / - .... . -.-- / -... .-. .. -. --. / -... .- -.-. -.- / .--. --- .-.. .-.. ...
"I will stop posting in ticker speak when they bring back polls"

polls?? I sure am rusty. Used to send and receive at 15-20 wpm.

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:40 pm
Please forgive the rant friendly reminder. :happy

The amount of ticker speak has increased a lot recently. Every time tax loss harvesting threads start popping up, so do the instances of ticker speaking. Example - "I want to harvest losses in AAAAX. Can I use BBBBX as a partner?"

And for some reason I don't know, people think that everybody knows the ETF tickers so the ticker speak practice is even more rampant with ETFs. Well, I suppose BND is pretty obvious, but most of the rest are not.

A couple of new people have even said they saw tickers so much they thought that was the right way to post.

It's annoying. :annoyed

If you want your post to be understood by a large percentage of the audience or if you want a lot of replies, you need to put the fund or ETF name in your post. Don't assume that people will look up your tickers to comment on your post.
It takes just a few seconds to look up the symbol though.

Double click it in the post, right click, left click "Search Google VTI".

Would be cool if this forum had a feature where you could type in $SYMBOLHERE in your post and it would magically insert the full name, or show that as a tooltip when mousing over it. Maybe with an automatic morningstar link or something.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:24 pm

BeerMoney wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm
Original poster here. Your idea works fine if a person is asking about 1 or 2 funds. But people who are looking for assistance need to make it easy to help them. This does not include showing us a portfolio of tickers and expecting the "helpers" to look them up and remember them or type them out themselves.

Folks that do that are not going to get nearly as much help and some of the help will be just wrong because someone read it wrong or typed it backwards.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

As usual, common sense should apply. I would have no problem using VTI or SPY or AGG in a post...I think those abbreviations are useful shortcuts for most contributors to, and frequent readers of, this forum. If we have a newcomer for whom these tickers are confusing, the wiki is available and learning the references shouldn’t pose a hardship. I’m also fine with a few references to AAPL, GOOG or AMZN. Again, common sense. Similarly, I would never not use the abbreviation “ETF”, when appropriate. Certain other financial terms like NPV, IRR and the like are also appropriate — IMHO :happy

Once one starts using more esoteric tickers or abbreviations, common sense would dictate that a reference would be helpful to the reader.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:41 pm

BeerMoney wrote:
retiredjg wrote:

The amount of ticker speak has increased a lot recently. Every time tax loss harvesting threads start popping up, so do the instances of ticker speaking. Example - "I want to harvest losses in AAAAX. Can I use BBBBX as a partner?"

And for some reason I don't know, people think that everybody knows the ETF tickers so the ticker speak practice is even more rampant with ETFs. Well, I suppose BND is pretty obvious, but most of the rest are not.

A couple of new people have even said they saw tickers so much they thought that was the right way to post.

If you want your post to be understood by a large percentage of the audience or if you want a lot of replies, you need to put the fund or ETF name in your post. Don't assume that people will look up your tickers to comment on your post.

Would be cool if this forum had a feature where you could type in $SYMBOLHERE in your post and it would magically insert the full name, or show that as a tooltip when mousing over it. Maybe with an automatic morningstar link or something.
If a person is too lazy to type the name of a fund in addition to the ticker symbol, I guess don't feel too bad for being too lazy to look them up.

Fair, no?

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:41 pm
If a person is too lazy to type the name of a fund in addition to the ticker symbol, I guess don't feel too bad for being too lazy to look them up.

Fair, no?
Hear, hear.

Since not everybody can install every kind of add-on for every browser, all the "technical fix" people should "just" find or develop some bit of software that works the other way--auto-adds the name of the fund when they type the symbol in. Then it will be there for 100% of all forum readers, even if they are browsing with the LYNX browser. On a VAX-11/780.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm

NYC_Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm
As usual, common sense should apply. I would have no problem using VTI or SPY or AGG in a post...I think those abbreviations are useful shortcuts for most contributors to, and frequent readers of, this forum. If we have a newcomer for whom these tickers are confusing, the wiki is available and learning the references shouldn’t pose a hardship. I’m also fine with a few references to AAPL, GOOG or AMZN. Again, common sense. Similarly, I would never not use the abbreviation “ETF”, when appropriate. Certain other financial terms like NPV, IRR and the like are also appropriate — IMHO :happy

Once one starts using more esoteric tickers or abbreviations, common sense would dictate that a reference would be helpful to the reader.
What is AGG? :happy

What I suggest for those who have trouble with tickers is to just write down a few hundred of the most common tickers with names and investing target, alphabetize it and have it handy when you read forum posts. Also prepare a list for most common abbreviations. You'll post like a pro.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:13 pm

RudyS wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 am
In most print media it is practice to spell out the name of any company, fund, group, etc., the first time it is used, then provide the shorthand. My opinion - if it's worth posting, it's worth posting in a format that can be understood by most readers.
^^^ THIS

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:15 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm

What is AGG?

Are you referring to a Pharyngeal reflex? :wink:
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 pm

peppers wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:15 pm
pkcrafter wrote:

What is AGG?

Are you referring to a Pharyngeal reflex? :wink:
Could be, or...

Aggregate
Aggravated
Allgemeines Gleichbehandlungsgesetz
African Gold Group, Inc.
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (Atlanta, GA)
Asociación de Gerentes de Guatemala (Managers' Association of Guatemala)
Airborne Gravity Gradiometer
Ann Gisel Glass (boutique; France)
Antiterroristische Gemengde Groep (Dutch antiterrorist group)
Auckland Girls Grammar (New Zealand)
Agent to the Governor General (British)
Airborne Ground Generators
Action-Graph Game (computer theory)
Aggeus (Biblical prophet; aka Haggai)

Never a dull moment.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm

My 2 cents....

For common symbols such as VTI, no big deal.

If I see a long post with a bunch of ticker symbols that I do not recognize, I just move on.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:13 pm
RudyS wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 am
In most print media it is practice to spell out the name of any company, fund, group, etc., the first time it is used, then provide the shorthand. My opinion - if it's worth posting, it's worth posting in a format that can be understood by most readers.
^^^ THIS
Web forums are not print medium so you shouldn't expect those norms to apply.

ExitStageLeft

Post by ExitStageLeft » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:43 pm

ur rit 2 cal out unrlstc exptshns 4 net comz

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

I love the thought of talking about

IWVL and EEMV

That should hoist a nice flag on the American-o-centrism of these boards.

Two nations divided by a common language.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:41 pm
BeerMoney wrote:
retiredjg wrote:

Fair, no?
+1 :sharebeer

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 pm

BeerMoney wrote:
It takes just a few seconds to copy the fund name though.

Double click the symbol in your post, right click, left click "Search Google VTI" and then copy the fund name off the search results.
There, I fixed that for you. And now only the poster has to do this ONCE in the OP vs each reader having to do it.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm
My 2 cents....

If I see a long post with a bunch of ticker symbols that I do not recognize, I just move on.
Stevie, how many mutual fund investors who are fairly new to the forum are going to recognize VTI... even if they recognize VTSMX or VTSAX?

We don't want to create an impression that new forum members are outsiders.

And how long did it take you to get to the point where you knew for sure which was VTI and which was VT?

The Vanguard European Stock Index Fund is VEURX. Now, quick: the corresponding ETF is VEU, true or false?

I myself have screwed up more than once by getting confused between VBLTX and VBTLX. And the influence of "bacon, lettuce, and tomato" makes it very easy to type VBLTX by mistake.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:45 pm

I don't even remember or recognise the full names of my ETFS - stock codes only.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 pm
StevieG72 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm
My 2 cents....

Stevie, how many mutual fund investors who are fairly new to the forum are going to recognize VTI... even if they recognize VTSMX or VTSAX?

We don't want to create an impression that new forum members are outsiders.

Others besides StevieAnd how long did it take you to get to the point where you knew for sure which was VTI and which was VT?

The Vanguard European Stock Index Fund is VEURX. Now, quick: the corresponding ETF is VEU, true or false?

I myself have screwed up more than once by getting confused between VBLTX and VBTLX. And the influence of "bacon, lettuce, and tomato" makes it very easy to type VBLTX by mistake.
Others in addition to StevieG72 will likely "just move on".

When the person initiating a help thread uses tickers only there will likely be fewer members giving the requested help.

Why should anyone asking for help want to make it harder for others to give that help.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What happens when you speak in TICKER language.

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 pm

I merged an on-going thread into here. The combined thread is in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum for visibility to both new and experienced investors.
krow36 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm
MnD wrote:

... . . https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bogleheads.org%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D3%26t%3D164952
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 pm
I merged an on-going thread into here. The combined thread is in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum for visibility to both new and experienced investors.
krow36 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm
MnD wrote:

... . https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bogleheads.org%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D3%26t%3D164952
Thanks for the link LadyGeek! I didn't realize that polls on various subjects are no longer allowed on this forum.

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 am

pkcrafter wrote:

What is AGG? :happy

What I suggest for those who have trouble with tickers is to just write down a few hundred of the most common tickers with names and investing target, alphabetize it and have it handy when you read forum posts. Also prepare a list for most common abbreviations. You'll post like a pro.

Paul
I highlighted AGG, right-clicked and "search with Google"
AGG = iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Fund
NYSEARCA: AGG
105.81 USD +0.14 (0.13%)

:arrow: Total elapsed time < 500 milliseconds 8-)

Note: It took 2 minutes to type this reply. :oops:

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am

Sorta feels like the "how hard is it to highlight-right-click-search google" folks are subtly implying that we are luddites who don't know how to use a browser. Maybe I'm wrong.

Point is, I know how to do that, and still don't care. If I see a post with a couple ticker symbols that I don't know I just move on. Especially the ones with a freaking laundry list. Too many other threads to read.

Sorry
Last edited by CantPassAgain on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:25 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am
Sorta feels like the "how hard is it to highlight-right-click-search google" folks are subtly implying that we are luddites who don't know how to use a browser. Maybe I'm wrong.

Point is, I know how to do that, and still don't care. If I see a post with a couple ticker symbols that I don't know I just move on. Especially the ones with a freaking loundry list. Too many other threads to read.

Sorry
The original poster could easily include both the fund names and the ticker symbols.

Why impose the burden of looking everything up on the other forum members? Why make it harder to reply? Why limit the number of members who will read and reply? When members "just move on" there can't be any discussion.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 pm

grayfox wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 am
105.81 USD +0.14 (0.13%)

Which is also about how long it would take a poster to copy the fund name and put it in their original post in the first place. Which would only need to happen once. How is it that readers who don’t want to look up a fund are lazy luddites but posters who don’t want to include the name in the first place are savvy and sophisticated?

DouroBound

Post by DouroBound » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am

Point is, I know how to do that, and still don't care. If I see a post with a couple ticker symbols that I don't know I just move on. Especially the ones with a freaking loundry list. Too many other threads to read.

Sorry
Luddite here ... thanks for the tip on highlight-right-click-search google. Who knew ...

TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:22 pm

The whole thing is a bit of a head scratcher. If I’m asking someone for help, shouldn’t I make it as easy as possible for them to answer? It’s almost like walking up to somebody at the office, hand them a disorganized stack of papers, and say hey, can you straighten all that out, and then spend time to help give me advice? I will spend the extra time to make myself as clear as I can, I’m not putting that burden (however small) on other people. If the original poster doesn’t care enough to take the time, then why should I? Just my two cents...

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 pm
grayfox wrote:
105.81 USD +0.14 (0.13%)

Which is also about how long it would take a poster to copy the fund name and put it in their original post in the first place. Which would only need to happen once. How is it that readers who don’t want to look up a fund are lazy luddites but posters who don’t want to include the name in the first place are savvy and sophisticated?
True, but you can't control another poster's actions, only your own actions.

As I posted in a previous post, the best method is to use both the Name and ticker, with a link to the fund page, viz.
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX)

But if only one, the ticker symbol is preferable because you can google the symbol and get all the information full name, including price, return, SEC Yield, etc.

:idea: It seems to be very common trait of people, that they will try to make everyone act in some way they deem appropriate.
But it is futile. You only have control over what you do.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:59 pm

I haven't even taken the trouble to memorize the tickers for the funds I own. Why bother? When I log in to my online Vanguard account, all my funds display with their full names spelled out in plain English. I'm sure I've missed reading many Bogleheads threads relating to my funds, because the title of the thread was expressed in ticker-speak, and often the ticker cited is for the share class I don't own rather than for the share class I do. The worst case of all is when an ETF ticker is used.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 pm

grayfox wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 pm
grayfox wrote:
105.81 USD +0.14 (0.13%)

True, but you can't control another poster's actions, only your own actions.

As I posted in a previous post, the best method is to use both the Name and ticker, with a link to the fund page, viz.
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX)

But if only one, the ticker symbol is preferable because you can google the symbol and get all the information full name, including price, return, SEC Yield, etc.

:idea: It seems to be very common trait of people, that they will try to make everyone act in some way they deem appropriate.
But it is futile. You only have control over what you do.
I'm with you. I find fund names to be pretty useless, especially when shortened in incomprehensible ways (quick, what's missing from "Vanguard All Wld ex-US"?). Much better to just have a link to the prospectus or to Morningstar.