San Jose, CA Area Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
jc42

San Jose Bogleheads November Meeting

Post by jc42 »

The San Jose Bogleheads will meet on Thursday, November 17th, 7:30-8:30 PM, in the Starbucks Cafe at Barnes & Noble on Almaden Expressway near Highway 85.

This month is an Open Forum but with a focus on short-term fixed income investing. Interest rates are showing signs of life and changes have been made for money market funds. So this might be a good time to revisit your thoughts and assumptions about this part of your financial portfolio.

Bring a friend.
jc42

San Jose Bogleheads November Meeting

Post by jc42 »

The San Jose Bogleheads will meet on Thursday, November 17th, 7:30-8:30 PM, in the Starbucks Cafe at Barnes & Noble on Almaden Expressway near Highway 85.

This month's suddenly timely topic is fixed income investing, especially at the short end of the yield curve. Come and find out what that means. It'll be, um, terrific!;-)

Bring a friend.
jc42

San Jose Bogleheads, January 2017 Meeting

Post by jc42 »

Our first meeting of the New Year will be on Tuesday, January 17th, 7:30-8:30PM, in the Starbucks Cafe
at Barnes & Noble near Hwy 85 and Almaden Expressway.

Let's do an Open Forum on your outlook for 2017 and how you plan to have a financially awesome year!

No RSVPs needed. Bring a friend.
emanuel_v19

Re: San Jose, CA Area Bogleheads Chapter

Post by emanuel_v19 »

Wow i might be able to make this one. How many people usually show up?
jc42

Post by jc42 »

Generally 4-9. So it's small enough where everyone has enough time
to say what's on their mind and have a good conversation.
jc42

San Jose, CA Bogleheads February Meeting

Post by jc42 »

Date: THURSDAY, February 16th
Time: 7:30-8:30 PM
Place: Starbuck's Cafe in Barnes & Noble on Almaden Expressway near Hwy 85.
Topic: Household Financial Policy Statement

Jim will present his module on how to create and use a household financial policy statement (FPS).
The FPS is your financial game plan. It's a useful tool to remind yourself about your financial goals
and strategies, keep you from going off the cliff in uncertain times (which seems to be most of the
time), and serves as a basis for conversations with family and financial intermediaries. It's rooted
in the work of Charley Ellis's Winning the Loser's Game.

Forms will be provided. This is a numbers-lite activity, so you don't need to bring anything or go
deep in the numerical woods.

We actually did this some time back, so if you have that work, it might prove useful now. Bring it.

We'll start gathering at around 7:15, begin in earnest at 7:30, and be gone by 8:31.
No RSVPs required. All are welcome. Bring a friend.
BetaTracker

Post by BetaTracker »

Hi, I'm trying to get my wife involved with at least learning how to rebalance our portfolio. We're not going to be available for the February meeting. But would it be possible to suggest a future meeting theme around nudging spouses who aren't into investing that it isn't all that difficult (or dull) of an undertaking?
I'd rather be content than happy -- Lao Tzu.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

BetaTracker wrote:Hi, I'm trying to get my wife involved with at least learning how to rebalance our portfolio. We're not going to be available for the February meeting. But would it be possible to suggest a future meeting theme around nudging spouses who aren't into investing that it isn't all that difficult (or dull) of an undertaking?
We could have an acid test meeting. Mrs BetaTracker, your husband has just been called by the government to work on a top secret project of national security and you won't see him for 10 years. Here is an extra Million. Now, what do you do with your portfolio. We can have test stations. Station 1 is manned by a Boglehead suggesting the 3-fund portfolio. Station 2 is someone taking the role of "the guy" who is introduced by the family friend who knows "a guy" who offers inflation indexed annuities. Station 3 is manned by an Edward Jones rep offering to manage it all for her. Station 4 is manned by "the Joneses" next door and they talk about kitchen upgrades and the latest safety features on the new Mercedes SUV and college acceptance rates at the private schools in the area. At the end of the night, there is a quiz. What did she choose???
BetaTracker

Post by BetaTracker »

Wow, if you're serious I think that would be amazing! I see light at the end if a long, long tunnel of trying to get my wife even faintly interested in our portfolio! That sounds like fun!!
I'd rather be content than happy -- Lao Tzu.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

BetaTracker wrote:Wow, if you're serious I think that would be amazing! I see light at the end if a long, long tunnel of trying to get my wife even faintly interested in our portfolio! That sounds like fun!!
Unfortunately, I don't think I am serious. SJ is too far for me. But these are conversations you could have with your DW and kids.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

BetaTracker wrote:Wow, if you're serious I think that would be amazing! I see light at the end if a long, long tunnel of trying to get my wife even faintly interested in our portfolio! That sounds like fun!!
Unfortunately, I don't think I am serious. SJ is too far for me. But these are conversations you could have with your DW and kids.
jc42

San Jose Bogleheads March Meeting

Post by jc42 »

The San Jose Bogleheads will meet on Tuesday, March 21st, 7:30-8:30 PM, in the Starbucks Cafe at Barnes & Noble on Almaden Expressway near Highway 85.

It's our Second Anniversary. Hopefully we've done some good. And special thanks to Alan Baker, who's been our IT guy and kept things straight on that end.

At the moment, this month will be Open Forum. However, if you would like to offer material on a topic of your choice and interest, please let us know. Or if you have a topic you'd like to learn more about, let us know and we'll see what we can do about bringing it forward.

We'll start gathering around 7:15. Bring a friend and your good humor!
arch94110

Leaving Wells Fargo - Recommendations for fee-only financial advisor

Post by arch94110 »

Hello San Jose Bogleheads.

I am looking for recommendations on a fee-only advisor in the Bay Area. Preferably in SF or reachable by phone. I wish I could make it to the next San Jose chapter Bogleheads meeting but it's difficult to get out in the evenings due to the kids, and I live way up in SF.

Background is that we had our portfolio at Wells Fargo, but our advisor abruptly left the firm. Also, his strategy was to choose dozens of stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds and the performance has not been great. Since then I've talked to friends about the approaches championed on this site and concluded that I want to manage assets myself and simplify to a 3 or 4 fund portfolio. I would like a financial advisor to ask very specific questions.

Questions for financial advisor include:
1. How to manage my portfolio with home purchase goal in 2-3 years. Specifically what to do with current cash.
2. Strategy for selling vested company stock
3. Timing for rebalance of current portfolio for home purchase

Our situation:
married, 2 kids
no debt
work in tech (with company stocks)

Thanks!

FYI - I posted an expanded version of this on the personal investments thread but haven't gotten any responses yet.
FoolStreet

Re: Leaving Wells Fargo - Recommendations for fee-only financial advisor

Post by FoolStreet »

arch94110 wrote:Hello San Jose Bogleheads.

I am looking for recommendations on a fee-only advisor in the Bay Area. Preferably in SF or reachable by phone. I wish I could make it to the next San Jose chapter Bogleheads meeting but it's difficult to get out in the evenings due to the kids, and I live way up in SF.

Background is that we had our portfolio at Wells Fargo, but our advisor abruptly left the firm. Also, his strategy was to choose dozens of stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds and the performance has not been great. Since then I've talked to friends about the approaches championed on this site and concluded that I want to manage assets myself and simplify to a 3 or 4 fund portfolio. I would like a financial advisor to ask very specific questions.

Questions for financial advisor include:
1. How to manage my portfolio with home purchase goal in 2-3 years. Specifically what to do with current cash.
2. Strategy for selling vested company stock
3. Timing for rebalance of current portfolio for home purchase

Our situation:
married, 2 kids
no debt
work in tech (with company stocks)

Thanks!

FYI - I posted an expanded version of this on the personal investments thread but haven't gotten any responses yet.
I think that we can cover these topics on this board if you repost the questions and background to the main page.

a. Pick vanguard (board approved!) or fidelity or Schwab
1. Keep it in a short term bond fund or high yield savings account. Depending on your income tax rate, consider 50/50 short term CA mini / short term national muni.
2. Sell upon vest is the overwhelming answer. Depending on AMT exposure, you could time sales for fat/lean years every other year. But no one really does that, so sell on vest
3. No time like the present! Make 3 buckets. E-fund, home-buying fund and "rest of portfolio". The first two buckets should be in a high yield savings account or short term bond funds. The rest should be governed by your overall asset allocation into the 3-fund portfolio.

Other comments: make sure you max out 401k, participate in ESPP and Backdoor Roth...all before 529s.
arch94110

Post by arch94110 »

I think that we can cover these topics on this board if you repost the questions and background to the main page.

1. Keep it in a short term bond fund or high yield savings account. Depending on your income tax rate, consider 50/50 short term CA mini / short term national muni.
2. Sell upon vest is the overwhelming answer. Depending on AMT exposure, you could time sales for fat/lean years every other year. But no one really does that, so sell on vest
3. No time like the present! Make 3 buckets. E-fund, home-buying fund and "rest of portfolio". The first two buckets should be in a high yield savings account or short term bond funds. The rest should be governed by your overall asset allocation into the 3-fund portfolio.

Other comments: make sure you max out 401k, participate in ESPP and Backdoor Roth...all before 529s.
Thanks very much for the response.

a. Thanks, I had looked in Vanguard and Fidelity but will also check out Schwab.

1. Are there specific sites that give info on bonds? I have E-trade for my employee stock plan and it is a bit overwhelming to pick bond funds when going to the bonds section of that site.

2. Is there a downside to selling upon 1+ year of vest to avoid short term gains? My marginal tax bracket wavers between 33% and 39.6% depending on how many stocks happen to vest & the value so going from that to 15% for long term gains is pretty significant. We don't need the cash right away so I haven't done any short term sales.

3. Thanks for the advice on splitting the current taxable investments. I found 3 fee only financial advisor firms that I will be interviewing within the month to help with the detailed implementation and will re-post on my experiences with them if there is interest. I picked one community focused firm, one smaller personalized firm, and one mid sized service geared towards techies with stock plans like me.

Other comments: yes I'm maxing out 401k (just convinced spouse to do the same), maxing ESPP. Backdoor Roth I am going to need to think about and get more answers. We have ~300k in other IRAs and I am unsure about how the pro-rata rule impacts the benefits of using the backdoor. From my understanding if we put in 10k then 96.7% of what we put in would be taxable? Not sure if it is better to put that in the regular taxable bucket of investment.

Here is a link to my original post (not sure if that is what you meant for me to do):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=212054
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

arch94110 wrote:

Thanks very much for the response.

a. Thanks, I had looked in Vanguard and Fidelity but will also check out Schwab.

1. Are there specific sites that give info on bonds? I have E-trade for my employee stock plan and it is a bit overwhelming to pick bond funds when going to the bonds section of that site.

2. Is there a downside to selling upon 1+ year of vest to avoid short term gains? My marginal tax bracket wavers between 33% and 39.6% depending on how many stocks happen to vest & the value so going from that to 15% for long term gains is pretty significant. We don't need the cash right away so I haven't done any short term sales.

3. Thanks for the advice on splitting the current taxable investments. I found 3 fee only financial advisor firms that I will be interviewing within the month to help with the detailed implementation and will re-post on my experiences with them if there is interest. I picked one community focused firm, one smaller personalized firm, and one mid sized service geared towards techies with stock plans like me.

Other comments: yes I'm maxing out 401k (just convinced spouse to do the same), maxing ESPP. Backdoor Roth I am going to need to think about and get more answers. We have ~300k in other IRAs and I am unsure about how the pro-rata rule impacts the benefits of using the backdoor. From my understanding if we put in 10k then 96.7% of what we put in would be taxable? Not sure if it is better to put that in the regular taxable bucket of investment.

Here is a link to my original post (not sure if that is what you meant for me to do):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=212054
I responded to your other thread
jc42

San Jose Bogleheads March Meeting

Post by jc42 »

Hello San Jose Bogleheads!

First off, I'd like to welcome Arun Koparkar to our Leadership Team along with Alan Baker and me.
Arun has been an enthusiastic participant in San Jose Bogleheads and I'm excited about what his future
contributions might be.

Next, you'll be getting a short survey to let us know how we're doing and how we can get even better.
It only takes about 5 minutes and we'd appreciate it if you could complete and return it by Sunday
evening, March 19th.

And lastly, our monthly meeting will be on Tuesday, March 21st, 7:15-8:30, at the Starbuck's Cafe
in Barnes & Noble near Hwy 85 and Almaden Expressway. The focus topic will be on how we grow and
develop San Jose Bogleheads. So this would be a great meeting to attend if you'd like to make your own
suggestions on the topic.

Look forward to seeing you!

Jim Cosgrove
Topic Author
alanwbaker

Re: San Jose, CA Area South Bay Bogleheads

Post by alanwbaker »

Would you like to learn more about the South Bay Bogleheads? Just send an email to info@southbaybogleheads.com

Alan
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads April Meeting

Post by jc42 »

South Bay Bogleheads are scheduled to meet this month on:

Date: Tuesday, April 18th
Time: 7:15-8:30 PM
Topic: Open Forum

Originally, we had planned on Yateendra leading a discussion on rebalancing. However, he's had an
unavoidable scheduling conflict arise, so Rebalancing is being deferred to May.

This month we'll have Open Forum. This is actually a good opportunity for those of you who have
yet to attend one of our gatherings to do so. We'd like to hear about what brings you to Bogleheads and
how the Chapter can support your personal finance process.

In addition, there are always topics and questions "in the air" that we might discuss. For example:
[*]Does factor investing matter? Or what the heck is factor investing in the first place?
[*]What's more important, saving or investing?
[*]Margin debt is at a new high. Should we care?
[*]Best practices for an organized financial life.
[*]What would a global asset allocation look like?

There's always something.

We'll start gathering around 7:15, begin in earnest at 7:30, and be done by 8:31. No reservations, RSVPs,
or pat downs are required. All are welcome. Bring a friend.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads May Meeting Announcement

Post by jc42 »

Date: Tuesday, May 16th
Topic: Rebalancing

This month, Yateendra will lead a discussion on Rebalancing. Whether you're experienced and comfortable
with rebalancing, or don't have a clue, this should prove worthwhile.

We'll start gathering around 7:15, begin in earnest around 7:30, and be done by 8:31. Feel free to hang around
afterwards and connect with other folks. No reservations, RSVPs, or pat downs are required. All are welcome.
Bring a friend.

If you have any questions or would you like to learn more about the South Bay Bogleheads, just send an email
to info@southbaybogleheads.com.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads June Meeting Scheduled

Post by jc42 »

Date: Tuesday, June 20th
Topic: ETFs and mutual funds

Money flows into ETFs have surged over the past decade. We'll take a look at this, try
to tease out the reasons for it, and whether we should really care. We'll also look at
when it might be more or less advantageous to use one vehicle or the other.

This should be a worthwhile session for those who don't know an ETF from an EFT, as
well as those who might be thinking about how to most effectively use ETFs or funds.

We'll start gathering around 7:15, begin in earnest around 7:30, and be done by 8:31.
No reservations, RSVPs, or pat downs are required.
Feel free to hang around afterwards and connect with other folks.
All are welcome. Bring a friend.

If you have any questions or would you like to learn more about the South Bay Bogleheads,
just send an email to info@southbaybogleheads.com.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads July Meeting Scheduled

Post by jc42 »

Date: Thursday, July 20th
Place: Center for Spiritual Living, Mandela Room, 1195 Clark Street, San Jose, CA
Topic: Balanced Funds

This month, Thomas Wang will lead a discussion on balanced funds. Balanced funds
are mutual funds with diversified holdings of stocks and bonds with fixed allocations
that may provide a complete portfolio in a single fund.

We will look at how balanced funds can fit into your personal portfolio in the context
of an age driven asset allocation approach.

This should be especially helpful to anyone who would like to understand the varieties
of balanced funds and how they can be a great portfolio anchor- one you can truly set
and forget.

We'll start gathering around 7:15, begin in earnest around 7:30, and be done by 8:31.
No reservations, RSVPs, or photo IDs required. Feel free to hang around afterwards
and connect with other folks. All are welcome. Bring a friend.

Note that this is a NEW MEETING LOCATION. I think you'll be pleased.

If you have any questions or would you like to learn more about the South Bay Bogleheads,
just email us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads September Meeting, Updated Agenda

Post by jc42 »

Date: Thursday, September 21st
Time: 7:00-8:45 PM
Place: Nelson Mandela Room at CSL San Jose, 1195 Clark Street, in the Willow Glen neighborhood.
Topic: Portfolio Building & Risk Management

Arun Koparkar will make a presentation on the 10 keys to building a solid portfolio. He will also speak on various risks and lay out a hierarchy of risk management strategies. This will be useful to new investors and serve as a reminder to the more experienced. Perfect!

No RSVPs necessary; just show up. Bring a friend. A $5 per person room use fee will be collected.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads October Meeting

Post by jc42 »

There will NOT be an October meeting this month!

Resources normally available to lead the meeting will all be out of town and no one
else is moved to fill the void.

Things are looking better for the November meeting, scheduled for November 16th.

See you then.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads November Meeting

Post by jc42 »

Date: Thursday, November 16th
Time: 7:00-9:00 PM
Place: Center for Spiritual Living, Mandela Room, 1195 Clark Street, San Jose, CA
Topic: Brokered CDs

This month, Thomas Wang will lead a discussion on Brokered CDs. Brokered CDs are available
through financial intermediaries in addition to banks and credit unions. Thomas will explain
the details.

CDs can be an attractive component for the fixed income portion of a well-diversified portfolio.

We'll start gathering around 7:00, begin in earnest around 7:20, and be done by 8:55.

No reservations, RSVPs, or photo IDs required. All are welcome. Bring a friend. A $5 per person
room use fee will be collected.

just email us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

The November presentation is available at the link below.

Brokered CD in Retirement Portfolio
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UWtp_S ... sp=sharing

and also the July presentation...

Balanced Funds
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WSJKbC ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Tyler Aspect on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Tyler Aspect wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:58 pm The November presentation is available at the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UWtp_S ... sp=sharing
Thank you for sharing this.
paxdonnaverde

Post by paxdonnaverde »

Hi, how does one officially join this chapter? I live in Redwood City and preparing to retire in 2018. Claire
roamin survivor

Post by roamin survivor »

paxdonnaverde wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 pm Hi, how does one officially join this chapter? I live in Redwood City and preparing to retire in 2018. Claire
Not really official, but signing up for the e-mail list for articles and meeting notices. We usually meet once a month, tends to be 3rd Thurs night. Being on the peninsula, it would make for a rough trip down to San Jose. I think there is a chapter in San Francisco, but I have no info on that.
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

paxdonnaverde wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 pm Hi, how does one officially join this chapter? I live in Redwood City and preparing to retire in 2018. Claire
You can attend the next club event on January 30th, 2018. Details below:

Tuesday, January 30th: Evening meeting at the Saratoga Library from 7:00-8:45.
Topic: Alan Baker on "Avoiding fraud and identity theft by securing your digital assets." Alan is a retired senior IT specialist who helps non-profits with technology and security issues. He is a member of AARP's Fraud Watch team.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
paxdonnaverde

Post by paxdonnaverde »

Thanks Tyler, I will try to attend
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 »

Awesome,

I will be there!

Jose Manuel
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads: January 2018

Post by jc42 »

Happy New Year, Bogleheads!

As we head into the New Year, we head to a new meeting location.

On Tuesday, January 30th, we'll gather in the Community Room at the Saratoga Public Library from 7:00-8:45. The Community Room is to the right as you pass through the main entry. The room seats 120, so no fear about space limitations.

The address is 13650 Saratoga Avenue in Saratoga. If you're coming from Hwy 85 and approach the Y intersection of Saratoga with Fruitvale Avenue, bear to the right but know that the library driveway comes up rather quickly on the left after passing through the intersection.

The first 20-30 minutes will be catching up, informal networking and chit-chat.

Then Alan Baker will offer comments and perspective on "Avoiding fraud and identity theft by securing your digital assets." Alan is a retired senior IT specialist who helps non-profits with technology and security issues. He is a member of AARP's Fraud Watch team.

The library charges a modest use fee. A $4 per person contribution to the cause will be collected.

Bring a friend, co-worker, spouse, child, your massage therapist, or anyone who might benefit from what we do. They not need be Vanguard clients.

Looking forward to filling the room! Let's do this.
kasri

Post by kasri »

JC42, thanks for organizing this. I plan to come to this meeting.
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

Looking forward to the new meeting place and Alan's talk. I'll be there.
jc42

Online Security, Part 2

Post by jc42 »

Congratulations on a record-setting attendance of 22 at last week's Online Security presentation by Alan Baker!

Because interest was high, a number of questions were left in the queue. So, a follow-on has been scheduled. Space has been reserved at Harry's Hofbrau on Saratoga Avenue near Stevens Creek for Saturday, Feb 17th, from 11:30-1:30. Alan will frame the topic and guide the conversation.

In addition to closing the loop on security questions, this will allow anyone who was unable to attend last Tuesday to do so on a Saturday. Come for all or part of the time.

No RSVPs are needed. There is no charge. And there is no requirement to buy any food or beverages. But hey, a sammie and a beer might go well. Bring a friend, spouse, buddy, partner, your guru, or BFF.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads on FIRE!

Post by jc42 »

On Monday, March 12th, South Bay Bogleheads and Friends will gather in the Community Room at the Saratoga Public Library from 7:00-8:45. This is our 3rd Anniversary Meeting and it will be special.

The topic for the evening will be FIRE- Financial Independence, Retire Early. We'll have a panel of FIRE aspirants moderated by our own early retiree, Barbara Briseno. We'll explore the motivations for FIRE, the unique challenges and opportunities of FIRE, and how our panelists are managing their FIRE journey. If you are even mildly curious about this, you need to be here.

More information and an announcement flyer can be found at http://southbaybogleheads.com/meetings.

This promises to be a full evening, so the program will begin promptly at 7:10.

The Saratoga Library is at 13650 Saratoga Avenue in Saratoga. If you're coming from Hwy 85 and approach the Y intersection of Saratoga with Fruitvale Avenue, bear to the right but know that the library driveway comes up rather quickly on the left after passing through the intersection. The Community Room is to the right as you pass through the library's main entry.

Bring a friend, spouse, co-worker, partner, or anyone who has ever mentioned "early retirement." They need not be South Bay Boglehead members or Vanguard clients. No RSVPs needed. The library charges a modest use fee, so a $3 per person contribution to the cause will be collected.

Looking forward to filling the room!
Last edited by jc42 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robinson871

Post by Robinson871 »

following for future updates.

While I do love San Jose does anyone know of an east bay chapter?

Thanks!!
Danfromaroundhere

Post by Danfromaroundhere »

I don’t think there is an east bay chapter, but I live in the east bay and would be interested in helping start a chapter
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads: April 2018

Post by jc42 »

South Bay Bogleheads will meet next on Thursday, April 19th, from 7pm - 9pm, at Merrill Gardens Campbell (near downtown Campbell). The address is 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell. This will be a new venue for us and we’re enthused about its possibilities.

The working title for the meeting is “Preparing for the Next Bear Market”.

The moderated panel format we used last month worked well and we plan to use that again. So we’re looking for folks who would like to be panelists. Here’s all we need:

:arrow: You've given some thought to the possibility of a bear market.
:arrow: You have some ideas about how you will navigate it.
:arrow: You're willing to share your ideas.

If this sounds interesting to you, send us a message this week so we can support your preparation. No experience with panels or bear markets is required. :-)
digarei

Re: South Bay Bogleheads: April 2018

Post by digarei »

jc42 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 pm South Bay Bogleheads will meet next on Thursday, April 19th, from 7pm - 9pm, at Merrill Gardens Campbell (near downtown Campbell). The address is 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell. This will be a new venue for us and we’re enthused about its possibilities.

The working title for the meeting is “Preparing for the Next Bear Market”.

The moderated panel format we used last month worked well and we plan to use that again. So we’re looking for folks who would like to be panelists. Here’s all we need:

:arrow: You've given some thought to the possibility of a bear market.
:arrow: You have some ideas about how you will navigate it.
:arrow: You're willing to share your ideas.

If this sounds interesting to you, send us a message this week so we can support your preparation. No experience with panels or bear markets is required. :-)
I’d like to attend the South Bay Bogleheads meeting on April 19, as participant and/or panelist.

Mailing list request sent to your chapter mailbox.

I look forward to meeting all of you!

Thanks,

Greg (“digarei”)
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads, April 19th Meeting Info

Post by jc42 »

Our Thursday, April 19th meeting is coming up. The meeting topic is Preparing For and Navigating A Bear Market. We'll use the panel style that worked well with last month's FIRE topic. We'll meet from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell.

👉 Merrill Gardens is a new venue for us. So here is important information for using the facility:

Location: Merrill Gardens is a 3-story senior living community at 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell, near the intersection of Winchester Blvd and Campbell Avenue, not far from downtown Campbell.

Parking: Use nearby ground level retail spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs, pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's locked after 8pm.

Building Entry: Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a Guest. Write SBB (for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is the Activity Room, down the hallway to the right.

Facility Use: Except for the Restrooms, do not wander around the facility. It is home for over 100 people. We must leave the Activity Room in the order we found it. Everyone is expected to vacate the building by 9pm.

The posted room capacity is 115, so bring your spouse, partner, friend. Through the generosity of Merrill Gardens, this will be a no-fee meeting.
If you have any questions, please reply to this message or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.

🐻
wwhan

Post by wwhan »

Taylor Larimore posted this quote from Rick Ferri, which I think is pretty good (been there done that). It reminds me of some the discussions during the last meeting on April 19th.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005&sid=b64491ee ... 0#p3893260

"A successful index fund investor goes through four phases"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:25 am
Bogleheads:

Rick Ferri recently made a post which Three-Fund Portfolio investors will appreciate:

A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Best wishes.
Taylor
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads, May Meeting Announcement

Post by jc42 »

The South Bay Bogleheads will meet on Thursday, May 10th, from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell.

This month we'll have Investor's Roundtable. We'll explore a number of questions such as:
> Is a dividend focused portfolio a useful strategy? If so, how would someone implement it?
> Do rising interest rates mean I should make portfolio changes?
> Isn't having all my investments in one place, like at Vanguard, putting all my eggs in one basket?
> Additional questions that you submit.

Please send us your questions ahead of time so informed responses can be made. Your confidentiality will be honored, so fire away. And since this is a "roundtable," group discussion will be invited and encouraged.

👉 If Merrill Gardens is new to you, here's important information about using the facility:

Location: Merrill Gardens is a 3-story senior living community at 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell, near the intersection of Winchester Blvd and Campbell Avenue, not far from downtown Campbell.

Parking: Use nearby ground level spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs, pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's locked after 8pm.

Building Entry: Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a Guest. Write SBB (for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is the Activity Room, down the hallway to the right.

Facility Use: Except for the Restrooms, do not wander around the facility. It is home for over 100 residents. We must leave the Activity Room in the order we found it. Everyone is expected to vacate the building by 9pm.

The posted room capacity is 115, so bring your spouse, partner, friend, ex. One needn't be a Vanguard investor. Through the kind generosity of Merrill Gardens, this will be a no-fee meeting. If you have any questions, please reply to this message or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.
finind

Post by finind »

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to bogleheads. When is the next meeting?
Topic Author
alanwbaker

Post by alanwbaker »

Our meetings are posted at http://southbaybogleheads.com/meetings. Details of each upcoming meeting are posted as they become available. Join us!
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads: June 2018 Meeting Announcement

Post by jc42 »

Our June meeting will be on Thursday, June 14th, from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell.

The topic this month is What You Need to Know About Estate Planning. Hint: It may not be about the money.

We'll be having Maureen O'Connell, JD, as our guest speaker. Ms O'Connell is a deeply knowledgeable and experienced attorney specializing in estate planning and elder care issues. The meeting will be largely informed by your questions. A number of you have already sent in really good questions. If you have a question, please send it to me by Monday so I can get it on the agenda. Plan on an expertly informed evening.

There's plenty of seating capacity, so bring your spouse, partner, friend. Through the generosity of Merrill Gardens, this will be a no-fee meeting. More information about our Chapter can be found at https://bit.ly/2qb0OWS or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.

👉 If Merrill Gardens is new to you, here is important information about using the facility:

Parking: Use nearby ground level retail parking spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs, pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's locked after 8pm.

Building Entry: Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a Guest. Write SBB (for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is down the hallway to the right, in the Activity Room.

Facility Use: Except for the Restrooms, do not wander around the facility. It is home for over 100 people. We must leave the Activity Room in the order we found it. Everyone is expected to vacate the building by 9pm.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads, July 2018 Meeting Announcement

Post by jc42 »

The South Bay Bogleheads will meet on Monday, July 16th, from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell.

There are TWO topics this month:

1) Wild Cards and Black Swans: What are they, and how to prepare? - by Arun Koparkar
2) An Overview of Treasury Securities - by Jim Cosgrove

We have been very fortunate to have free access to this wonderful venue by the kind arrangement made by Jim Cosgrove with Merrill Gardens. This month, we will be accepting voluntary contributions to continue providing healthy light snacks and water. There's plenty of seating capacity, so bring your spouse, partner, friend.

👉 If Merrill Gardens is new to you, here is important information about using the facility:

Location: Merrill Gardens is a 3-story senior living community at 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell, near the intersection of Winchester Blvd and Campbell Avenue, near downtown Campbell.

Parking: Please use nearby ground level retail parking spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs, pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's closed and locked after 8pm.

Building Entry: Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a Guest. Write SBB (for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is down the hallway to the right, in the Activity Room.

More information about our Chapter can be found at http://southbaybogleheads.com or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.
jc42

South Bay Bogleheads, September 2018 Meeting Announcement

Post by jc42 »

Hello South Bay Bogleheads!

Hope you're enjoying the waning days of Summer. September is here and it's time to start meeting again. We'll kick-off the Fall
season on Thursday, September 20th, from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell.

First, Christina Salumaa will announce our Venue Discovery contest. You might have noticed, we're using all the available
chairs at our meetings. It's time to find a larger space. Christina will fill us in on the details. There will even be prizes!

The featured topic of the evening will be Creating Your Financial Wellness Checklist. I'll cover:

> What is a Financial Wellness Checklist?
> Getting clear about your life and finances.
> When to do one.
> Using it to make important life and financial decisions.
> You'll receive a template and I'll guide you through the steps of creating your own Financial Wellness Checklist.

If you think "financial planning" is a long, drawn out, mathematically complicated thing, STOP! It's not. Come to this meeting and
you'll walk out with more confidence about your life and your money. This would also be a great meeting to bring a reluctant spouse
or a friend who is intimidated by all that financial stuff.

We've been very fortunate to have free access to Merrill Gardens. We'll continue to accept voluntary contributions to provide healthy
light snacks and water.

👉 If Merrill Gardens is new to you, here's important information about using the facility:

Location: Merrill Gardens is a 3-story senior living community at 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell, near the intersection of Winchester
Boulevard and Campbell Avenue, close to downtown Campbell.

Parking: Please use nearby ground level retail parking spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs,
pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's closed and locked after 8pm.

Building Entry: Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a Guest. Write SBB
(for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is down the hallway to the right, in the Activity Room.

Facility Use: Except for the Restrooms, do not wander around the facility. It is home for over 100 people. We must leave the Activity
Room in the good order we found it. Everyone is expected to vacate the building by 9pm.

More information about our Chapter can be found at http://southbaybogleheads.com or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.
Topic Author
alanwbaker

South Bay Bogleheads, November 2018 Meeting Announcement

Post by alanwbaker »

Hello South Bay Bogleheads! We will meet again on Monday, November 12th, from 7-9pm at Merrill Gardens in Campbell. Everyone is welcome.

First, we’ll hear brief comments from Members who attended the 2018 Bogleheads Conference a few weeks ago in Philadelphia.

Then we will enjoy a presentation and discussion of Ray Dalio’s book, “Principles for Navigating Big Debt Crises” led by our own Chiming ‘Steve’ Yang. The book is available as a free download at https://www.principles.com/big-debt-crises.

Dalio is one of the world’s most successful investors and entrepreneurs. He describes how debt crises work and the principles for dealing with them. This allowed his firm, Bridgewater Associates, to correctly anticipate key events and produce positive returns while most others faltered.

After an overview of the key points, Steve will focus on how the Vanguard Principles and the Boglehead philosophy can be applied by individuals to deal with challenging US and global debt conditions.

A voluntary contribution will be collected to provide healthy light snacks and water. We continue to be very fortunate to have free access to Merrill Gardens. If Merrill Gardens is new to you, here's important information about using the facility:

Location: Merrill Gardens is a 3-story senior living community at 2115 Winchester Blvd in Campbell, near the intersection of Winchester Boulevard and Campbell Avenue, close to downtown Campbell.

Parking:
Please use nearby ground level retail parking spaces or street parking. DO NOT park in the fountain circle; it's for drop-offs, pick-ups, and emergency vehicle access. DO NOT park in the underground garage; it's closed and locked after 8pm.

Building Entry:
Enter through the front double doors. Walk straight ahead to the Receptionist's Desk. Sign-in as a guest and write SBB (for South Bay Bogleheads) as your reason for visiting. Our meeting space is down the hallway to the right, in the Activity Room.

Facility Use:
Except for the restrooms, do not wander around the facility. It is home for over 100 people. We must leave the Activity Room in the good order we found it. Everyone is expected to vacate the building by 9pm.

More information about our chapter can be found at https://southbaybogleheads.com or contact us at info@southbaybogleheads.com.

Alan Baker