Costco Free Screenings

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Costco Free Screenings

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

I have stumbled upon a spreadsheet with a schedule of free screenings at Costco locations around the U.S.A., https://m.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSB ... hedule.pdf

I don't remember this benefit of Costco membership being discussed. Have Bogleheads used this free service? Were the lines very long?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Woodshark

Re: Costco Screenings

Post by Woodshark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Since you found it, I have no doubt that it exists but I have never seen or heard of this membership benefit before.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: Costco Free Screenings

Post by General Disarray » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm

A couple of years ago, when I was in Costco, there was a booth set up for free diabetes testing (the A1C level). I just happened to come upon it and so took the test. I didn't realize it was a regular Costco benefit. If it is, I just came upon it by accident.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Forgot to mention: There were no lines when I went, but that may have been because I was in Costco around the time the diabetes testing was about to wrap up.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Have been a Costco member for many years, but never saw any free screening in the warehouse.

It could be a regional thing?

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 pm

I've used Costco free blood screenings. And posted about it.

You can call ahead to the pharmacy and make an appointment.

Last month, I arrived before my scheduled time, and there was only one person on the line. He was handled before my paperwork was even filled in, so I was processed early.

Only annoyance is having to listen to the practioner's generic spiel about what the tests mean before getting copy of results.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't necessarily think you need to be a member to participate.

nopushover

Post by nopushover » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

A few years ago I read that my local Costco was offering a free bone density screening. Being a woman of Asian descent, I thought I should check it out. No line. My test came out fine. I encouraged my husband to test as well and his result recommended he see his doctor which led to a diagnosis of osteopenia. So a Costco free screening did help my family, but not as expected.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Have been a Costco member for many years, but never saw any free screening in the warehouse.

It could be a regional thing?
It seems so. Looking at the spreadsheet, they appear to rotate screenings across the states. In April, some states get heart screening, others blood glucose, others bone density. I am guessing that in May everybody will get different tests.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm
In April, some states get heart screening, others blood glucose, others bone density. I am guessing that in May everybody will get different tests.
Screenings at my Costco are every other month or every three months. February was healthy heart screening; May will be osteoporosis. Likely but not certain that Diabetes will be next, in July or August.

It's a smaller, rural Costco, so it may have different scheduling patterns than larger urban Costcos.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Never heard of this before... well, I see that the only one in my state isn't near where I live--isn't offered in the Costco I usually go to.

I would have thought that most primary care doctors would be doing this, and more than this, but it might be a nice little plus for people who, for whatever reason, do not see a doctor regularly.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Bah. I am within walking distance of the one in New Jersey in Lawrenceville and am there about three to five times a week. And of course all they have this year is osteoporosis screening on the schedule which is for females. But I must say it is scheduled for April 18th and I have seen no signs at all in the store when I shop.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm
Bah. I am within walking distance of the one in New Jersey in Lawrenceville and am there about three to five times a week. And of course all they have this year is osteoporosis screening on the schedule which is for females. But I must say it is scheduled for April 18th and I have seen no signs at all in the store when I shop.
Men, too, get osteopenia and even osteoporosis. Not as frequently as women, but they do. Take a walk on the wild side to Lawrenceville to confirm that you are not one of those men.

Victoria

NoHeat

Post by NoHeat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 am

New member here, enjoying this fine forum.

I took the free diabetes screening at Costco a couple of years ago. It was a weekend, the store was busy, and I stumbled upon the testing station. There were about five staff, probably nurses, located between the cash registers and pharmacy, in a kiosk that looked like a camping awning. They worked hard and cheerfully as they served many clients. I waited just a few minutes for my turn for the pinprick, then a few more minutes for the results. On the whole, it was a convenient customer experience, and I was glad for the opportunity.

A downside: crowding in a public place hinders privacy — I could not avoid seeing other clients, nor could I avoid overhearing one as he responded to counseling that he should see a physician.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm

NoHeat wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 am
New member here, enjoying this fine forum.

I took the free diabetes screening at Costco a couple of years ago. It was a weekend, the store was busy, and I stumbled upon the testing station. There were about five staff, probably nurses, located between the cash registers and pharmacy, in a kiosk that looked like a camping awning. They worked hard and cheerfully as they served many clients. I waited just a few minutes for my turn for the pinprick, then a few more minutes for the results. On the whole, it was a convenient customer experience, and I was glad for the opportunity.

A downside: crowding in a public place hinders privacy — I could not avoid seeing other clients, nor could I avoid overhearing one as he responded to counseling that he should see a physician.
Welcome to the Forum, NoHeat!

I am thrilled that you chose my thread to make your first post. Very useful feedback. Thanks!

Victoria

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Men, too, get osteopenia and even osteoporosis. Not as frequently as women, but they do. Take a walk on the wild side to Lawrenceville to confirm that you are not one of those men.

Victoria
Well, I did go over there. They just didn't have the screening here and I asked at the pharmacy area and they had no clue about it. But I did manage to find $50 of food to buy so it was not a wasted trip.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

Victoria
Well, I did go over there. They just didn't have the screening here and I asked at the pharmacy area and they had no clue about it. But I did manage to find $50 of food to buy so it was not a wasted trip.
I am sorry that you have half-wasted a trip. Today's Mid-Atlantic weather was nice and walking should have been pleasant.

I'll try my luck on Saturday. If my Costco's pharmacy also does not have a clue about screenings, we'll be even.

UPDATE:
The spreadsheet https://m.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSB ... hedule.pdf shows Lawrence Township screening on 04/07/18. I read it as 7 April 2018. Is it possible that you mistook the year for the day?

Victoria

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am

I wonder if this is a smart way for Costco to provide a public service along with helping itself. It's advertisement for the pharmacy and health products and gets some shoppers in the doors. Also, employees might use it and stay healthier or they may be required to do some testing/education that reduces the employer health or insurance costs. Sounds like a win-win-win program.

Costco is very good about maximizing opportunity ("2. FOMO - Rotating products make you want to buy things now. Costco is infamous for constantly rotating store items") https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career ... ?a=viewall . On an unhealthy note, they're not alone in looking for low cost opportunity. If these folks are right and pork prices rise, we won't be seeing the McRib for a while. https://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-conspi ... arbitrage/

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Good Listener wrote:

Victoria
I am sorry that you have half-wasted a trip. Today's Mid-Atlantic weather was nice and walking should have been pleasant.

I'll try my luck on Saturday. If my Costco's pharmacy also does not have a clue about screenings, we'll be even.

UPDATE:
The spreadsheet https://m.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSB ... hedule.pdf shows Lawrence Township screening on 04/07/18. I read it as 7 April 2018. Is it possible that you mistook the year for the day?

Victoria
Then I definitely went the wrong day. I have no idea why I thought it was the 18th when it was the 7th. It wasn't a wasted trip so no apologies needed. In fact I am now leaving for a Dunkin Donuts a block away to meet a friend. It's a 6 minute walk.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 am

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am
I wonder if this is a smart way for Costco to provide a public service along with helping itself. It's advertisement for the pharmacy and health products and gets some shoppers in the doors. Also, employees might use it and stay healthier or they may be required to do some testing/education that reduces the employer health or insurance costs. Sounds like a win-win-win program.

Costco is very good about maximizing opportunity ("2. FOMO - Rotating products make you want to buy things now. Costco is infamous for constantly rotating store items") https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career ... ?a=viewall . On an unhealthy note, they're not alone in looking for low cost opportunity. If these folks are right and pork prices rise, we won't be seeing the McRib for a while. https://www.theawl.com/2011/11/a-conspi ... arbitrage/
I agree with you. And I think Costco should advertise is better.

Victoria

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am

Last week’s Planet Money said that pork prices, especially the prices of the kinds of cuts that go into a McRib, have dropped like a rock recently because China put retaliatory tariffs on pork. Predicting a McRib revival in 3...2...1...

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Sam's Club also has free health screenings...BP, cholesterol, BMI, hearing, etc.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:32 pm

My Costco screening story:

The free screening was scheduled in my location on 21 April 2018, from 10am to 4pm. I usually come to Costco on weekdays and thought that on Saturday, it may be better to come in the afternoon after most weekend customers are gone. I arrived to Costco at about 2:30pm. The parking lot was like a disaster scene: cars were driving in wrong directions, parkers were making dozens of forward and reverse moves to fit parking spaces that would accommodate an ocean liner, cars were letting passengers in places optimized to delay as many other cars as possible, pedestrians were taking random walks, and empty shopping carts were cluttering whatever empty spaces have not been taken by humans.

It took me more than 10 minutes to park. To be clear, I parked in 3 seconds, the other 9 minutes 57 seconds were spent slowly progressing and stewing about the madness.

I entered Costco at 2:45pm. The place was packed. People were standing closer to each other than metro riders during rush hour. I feared that the line at the Pharmacy where the screening was taking place would be enormous.

But I was wrong. There was only a pharmacist and one customer. When the customer has finished his purchase, I asked the pharmacist where the testing was taking place. He said, "There were no customers and they have left." I said, "But the announcement says "10 to 4." The pharmacist, "They waited to 3 and then left." I, looking at my watch, "But it's still only 2:50." Pharmacist, "What can I do? They come with their equipment and leave when they decide to leave." I, "Thank you." (I am polite.)

I exited Costco without buying anything. I was annoyed about making a useless trip. I was half-blaming myself for not coming in the morning.

But I was also grateful that I am retired and don't have to put up with the Saturday Costco Insanity

Victoria