How much salary did you negotiate?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tjhar

How much salary did you negotiate?

Post by tjhar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

How much salary can your or did you negotiate? I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing it wrong.

Last week, I landed an offer at $110k (total comp including bonuses), and I moved it to $120k or 9% after 1 round, but it's still below what I'm aiming for. Is the organization just simply not able to pay me enough or are they are tough negotiator? I have at least 2 (soon to be 3) competing offers, and I made sure to let them know about it.

I find the results rather disappointing, I remember reading about the guy who turned his $125k Yelp offer to a $250k AirBNB, so maybe I'm just working in the wrong industry, haha, and yes, I know that story is an outlier, but still...

If others can contribute their salary negotiation success, that would be useful for me and others to benchmark. Would be nice if we had the original number, and/or negotiated number as a percentage of the original number, and number of competing offers and/or other circumstances.
Last edited by tjhar on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MotoTrojan

Re: How much salary did you negotiate?

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

tjhar wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm
How much salary can your or did you negotiate? I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing it wrong.

Last week, I landed an offer at $110k (total comp including bonuses), and I moved it to $120k or 9% after 1 round, but it's still below what I'm aiming for. Is the organization just simply not able to pay me enough or are they are tough negotiator? I have at least 2 (soon to be 3) competing offers, and I made sure to let them know about it.

If others can contribute their salary negotiation success, that would be useful for me and others to benchmark. Would be nice if we had the original number, and/or negotiated number as a percentage of the original number, and number of competing offers and/or other circumstances.
Can you negotiate additional 401k contributions or something that costs the employer the same amount, but is more spending power for you? Equity?

My only experience was a ~17% increase but it was an early-stage start-up and very informal negotiation.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 pm

I believe that every situation is different. One of my co-workers once told me an interesting story about his negotiation. The building we worked in was very old and unattractive. It was also in a rough neighborhood. So, when this fellow came for an interview, he decided he did not want to work there. After the interview, the company was very impressed with this person and wanted to hire him. When they asked him what his salary requirements were, he told me that he gave them a very high number, just so they would not hire him. Much to his surprise, they said yes. At that point, he accepted the offer, and it worked out well, as far as I could tell.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

9% after the 1st round? That seems like a pretty good jump, pretty much a months salary. Why didn't you suggest what you were willing to work there for? You have 2 other offers? What are they offering?

I've only negotiated a staying raise that was 25% above current pay but that was because I was underpaid from market value. I would think a standard is around 10-15% to move to a different company/position.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I asked for 10% more and was given 5% more. Since I had wanted out of my previous job badly, and either way the salary was in the acceptable ballpark for me, I wasn't going to push back any more, so I took it.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm

welp you are already mid negotiation. Have you looked at total comp package (401k, match, health care costs, other benefits you would use -- child care credits, etc)? What about bonus or MBO? Did you set expectations before they made an offer (like your current salary and benefits for total comp)?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

I've had many negotiations over the phone because the person authorized to make an offer is a couple thousand miles away. A couple examples:

Against a manager who had no push back skills. Moved from $100k up to $125k by working him up until he said that he would have to get the owner's authorization to go any higher. I then went from $10 to $25k for bonus with the same reason.

One other, I had a big Megacorp against me where they went around my head hunter and negotiated directly with me. Edged up just a bit on the base salary but got a $10k signing bonus because they knew (and I emphasized) that I would have to buy a car to meet their car plan requirements (which were clear, locked down and non-negotiable).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm

I've never been too good at negotiating salaries. The one big exception was for an out of state (about 2,000 miles westward) contracting job that I didn't have a big interest in. I kept asking for more money, then asked for a per diem (since I wasn't going to move out west) and even quarterly plane tickets back east. This was in 1999 prior to the Internet bust. Turned out to be a great place to live/work. A few years later I relocated out there and stayed for nearly a decade.

My brother once asked for more money, thinking they could meet in the middle but then never heard back. Finally he ran into the guy one day and asked about it and the guy said "We couldn't go that high.". My brother said to him, "I was just hoping to meet in the middle" and the guy said "Oh". In the mean time he had gotten a different job.

I'm going to be job hunting (computer security type jobs) later this year (got to stay in my current job through the end of the year) and it will be interesting to see what the market is like, especially for someone over 50. I either want to go back westward (AZ) or maybe something in Europe.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Funny enough, I got my first pay raise in 2 years without doing anything. About 9% increase.

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I had my yearly goal meeting. I happened to have produced about 40% more than the others in my department. I have been there for 15 years and my sales goals are easier to meet. I was asked to increase my production. I said, "what else do you want from me?"

I was actually called back in and given a better schedule than what I have, which in this case was better than a raise.

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Initial offer was 18% higher than my current pay negotiated and got 3% more...

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Every situation is different. It's difficult to advise when not in your shoes. I would offer this. This sort of negotiation is not like selling or buying a house where you will never deal with the other party again. You are going to work for one of them soon, and you may want to work for one of the others some day.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:44 pm

It depends on how much leverage you have. I assume you can realistically add 5% to most offers. Double digits are a stretch in most situations. If they started way to low and they know what you want, you probably won't agree on a number.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am

I don’t think I’ve gotten 9% so that is pretty good. On the flip side, I don’t recall giving huge bumps while negotiating with new employees coming in. If it is a large company you have pay equity issues to deal with.

Make sure you are getting as much paid time off as you can. That is often negotiable.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm
Can you negotiate additional 401k contributions
No, you can't.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm

In a standard salary negotiation, it isn't unreasonable to try and move up 10%, especially if you are worth that much. If the minimum salary you are willing to work for is higher than that, I would just throw it out there and be straight with the hiring manager/recruiter. If they say they can't do it and you have other offers, then there you have it. I wouldn't go past two rounds because by then, the hiring manager is going to have animosity towards you. Typically, base salary is what is negotiated. Sometime s signing bonus can be, but more 401k contributions, better insurance, and other extras like that aren't negotiation points. Work from home, which doesn't cost the company anything, can be negotiated, but make sure the person who you are negotiating with has the power to follow through on that.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 am

tjhar wrote:
If others can contribute their salary negotiation success,
I had a tough time moving past the "10% max salary increase" at my current job. I ended up with a 30% bump to get me in the range but they went thru 3 new hires that failed before make the change. If you can live with what they offer, ask for an extra week of vacation.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:54 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm
Can you negotiate additional 401k contributions
No, you can't.
+1. But you can negotiate other benefits like time off, remote working, etc.

Former Usher

Post by Former Usher » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 am

The one time I negotiated salary, I asked for 10% more than their initial offer and they came back with 7.5%.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 am

tjhar wrote:

Last week, I landed an offer at $110k (total comp including bonuses), and I moved it to $120k or 9% after 1 round, but it's still below what I'm aiming for. Is the organization just simply not able to pay me enough or are they are tough negotiator?
9% is quite a shift. I would attempt to negotiate for more time off or a signing bonus, since they moved the salary. I once negotiated a 15% bump with my employer at that time with data backing up that I was being underpaid (just after the recession and transferring offices from LCOL to MCOL). Then, when I hopped jobs, I was only able to negotiate a 3% increase from the initial offer plus an additional week of PTO, though it was still 10% above my salary with previous employer.

fefifofum

Post by fefifofum » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm in the middle of changing jobs right now. In my first casual conversation with the recruiter for this job, I asked him their budgeted salary range for the position and was given a range which was pretty close to my salary at my old job. I wasn't interested in taking the risk for a lateral move. When he later asked for more details about what range I was thinking about I gave him the highest number I could possibly bear to give, representing about a 40% raise over the top end of their range.

That stopped the conversation for a long time, but they ultimately came back with an offer about 16% over the top end of the range they had originally stated. I made a counter offer at about 30% over their original range, and ultimately we settled on about 25% over the original range. Looking at it another way, we landed on about a 7% increase over the original offer they sent -- plus I got an extra week of vacation time.

This was my first time to seriously attempt to negotiate on salary and I am very glad I did, even though it was deeply uncomfortable for me! Tech industry job, but smallish company (not a startup) and not in CA.