State income tax impact on portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
fidream

State income tax impact on portfolio

Post by fidream » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello! I'm currently living in Florida and was looking to possible move to another state. Some of these states have a state income tax, and I was wondering what kind of impact this would have on my portfolio. Are there any tools like https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... allocation that also can take into account tax repercussions? Or, can anyone throw me some imaginary numbers about how much money I will lose over a certain time period (say, 30 years) if I move to a state income taxed state?

dbr

Re: State income tax impact on portfolio

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

It is impossible to make an accurate computation of after tax performance without effectively computing your personal tax return in all its glory for each and every future year.

Someone was asking about this on another thread in the last day or two and I am not sure if there was an answer for an application into which one could enter some nominal tax rates. iORP is a retirement planner that tries to take taxes into account but it isn't really a portfolio analyzer.

Someone may know of something.