How would you rotate these tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MnD

How would you rotate these tires?

Post by MnD » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:35 pm

2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid - daily mostly highway commuter - Denver
Michelin Defenders with 50K miles on them except for front left with 20K miles.
Rotation and balancing is "free" at Costco.

Rears 5/32nd's tread depth on both.
Front 4/32nd's front right, 8/32nd's front left.

Difference on front is due to tire damaged beyond repair 20K miles ago. Was on the back initially, but now on front due to past rotation.
I'm thinking move one 5/32nd's to front and leave the 8/32nd's on front where it is.
Not planning on making any tread wear warranty claims.

finite_difference

Re: How would you rotate these tires?

Post by finite_difference » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Move 8/32 from front left to front right.

Move front right to rear left.

Move rear left to rear right.

Move rear right to front left.

Next tire rotation, replace the 3 worn tires and move to regular rotation schedule.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Front wheel drive. Have tires with identical size (i.e., mileage/age) on the front wheels. Don’t rotate until you replace all four tires.

Risk tranny damage with unequal tires on the fronts.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I would buy new ones.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 pm

I would replace the 3 worn tires with the two new on the rear, the 8/32 and other new one on the front until the next rotation. 4/32 is 1/32 from being illegal in some states. 5/32 is asking for trouble in wet road conditions.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I replace at about 4/32nds. You are there on two tires and almost there on one. Good tires are so important to road safety. I don't think it it worth trying to squeeze every mile out of your tires.

Get new tires. :sharebeer

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

I would buy new tires if it were my car. As others have said...safety first. 3 of your 4 are already performing marginally in dry weather and to me would be questionably unsafe in the wet.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 am

Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:24 pm
Front wheel drive. Have tires with identical size (i.e., mileage/age) on the front wheels. Don’t rotate until you replace all four tires.

As far as tire size , yes. Tread depth will doubtfully cause damage due to difference being minuscule.

like others have said, probably time to replace 3 anyway.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:42 am

I would probably buy four new tires, maybe three new ones of the same exact type as the older new one. I don't know anything about where to put the one older tire. I agree not to keep running that 5/32 tire.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:28 am

I would buy four new tires and save the one with the most tread to mount on a salvaged rim from a junkyard to have a full sized spare to go along with the donut tire.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

Y.A.Tittle wrote:

Show me where someone sustained transmission damage with a 4/32" tread difference on the drive axle.

rgarling

Post by rgarling » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am
Y.A.Tittle wrote:

Show me where someone sustained transmission damage with a 4/32" tread difference on the drive axle.
Some limited slip differentials will overheat if the tires are not the same, so ideally, you *should* have the tires be the same size. It is not an issue with an open differential.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:38 am

Are the tires unidirectional? I think the altima owners manual only says rotate front to back with no crossover. That might not apply depending on the tire though.

If it were me, I'd put the two 5/32nds on the front and leave them there until you buy 4 new tires.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 am

dwickenh wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 pm
I would replace the 3 worn tires with the two new on the rear, the 8/32 and other new one on the front until the next rotation. 4/32 is 1/32 from being illegal in some states. 5/32 is asking for trouble in wet road conditions.
+1
Safety first.
Does it snow or have ice or heavy rains in Denver?

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 am

rgarling wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am
Luke Duke wrote:
Y.A.Tittle wrote:

Some limited slip differentials will overheat if the tires are not the same, so ideally, you *should* have the tires be the same size. It is not an issue with an open differential.
It’s also a big issue with AWD, but the Altima doesn’t get AWD until the next model comes out nor does it have an LSD so I wouldn’t worry too much.

The difference in tread depth could cause the car to pull to one side or handle awkwardly though.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am

rgarling wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am
Luke Duke wrote:
Y.A.Tittle wrote:

What does the differential have to do with the transmission?

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:37 am

A single tire measurement is not indicative of a tire's condition. Measure at left tread, center and right tread. What might be 5/32 at the center could be 3/32 on the inside or outside, or could be 6/32's inside or outside, which would tip you off to over inflation. Reversing the situation might be an indication of under inflation or alignment issues. I won't keep a tire once it gets to 4/32's in South Florida... to much added risk from extreme rain and puddles.

Additionally, it's your life and others that ride on those tires. I look at Tire Rack's wet and dry performance ratings as well as tread life ratings and always go quality.

FWIW, I think rotation is simply not needed in many cases. In a vehicle with different sizes front and rear, and the tires are wearing evenly across the full face of the tread, and measure the same tire to tire, and there is no cupping, what would be the point?
Last edited by midareff on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 am

Does it have a full size spare tire?

If so then one thing to remember is that tires should be replaced when they are about ten years old even if they have lots of tread left. This is because the rubber gets old.

When you do eventually replace the tires then you might want to have them replace the spare tire with the best tire that you are taking off the car.

My wife has a pickup with a full size spare that was about 13 years old so I recently replaced the spare with a new tire even though the spare tire had never been used. The spare has a different rim so I was not having a five tire rotation done. I am still kicking myself for not having replaced it with the best tire when I bought new tires for the truck a few years ago.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

Tires are the only thing touching your car and the ground. I'd take it to a reputable shop to have it evaluated. Not one of those "upsell" shops, but one of those that actually care about repeat business.

I have no affiliation with them, but Discount/America's Tire comes to mind. Or even just ask Costco the next time rotation comes up.

Could be a safety hazard or even cause alignment issues depending on what the tires look like.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 am

finite_difference wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 pm
Move 8/32 from front left to front right.

Move front right to rear left.

Move rear left to rear right.

Move rear right to front left.

Next tire rotation, replace the 3 worn tires and move to regular rotation schedule.
I would first ask where things were at the last rotation and how the tires are wearing out. Some hybrids or 4WD cars have less typical wear patterns.

Assuming it it wears more in front like most FWD cars, I would also do something along this line keeping the newer tire in the front, and rotating the other three by putting the one with the most thread remaining on the other front.

But I'd be surprised if Costco would go along with this plan. They'll want to put the higher tread in the back and/or sell you new tires.

Use common sense when it comes to thread depth and weather conditions:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=51

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 am

50k miles? 5/32"? Denver? I'd skip the long lines at Costco for the"free" rotation that would cost me $200 additional shopping. I'd save up for a new set of tires in August/September depending on when the weather starts turning nasty. As most people are saying, those tires are just about done.