59 1/2 - 401K, 403b, etc.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
RickBoglehead

59 1/2 - 401K, 403b, etc.

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 am

When my wife turned 59 1/2, we rolled over her 403b account (still employed there) to a Rollover IRA, and then moved those assets to Vanguard. Zero cost, took some time, now we have increased flexibility including Admiral funds access.

As I turn 59 1/2, I have Individual 401K assets at Vanguard. No Admiral choices either. I see zero reason to not rollover these accounts once I hit 59 1/2, and then to do so on a regular basis (Vanguard says no problem). I would plan on rolling over the company portion to a Rollover IRA, and the individual portion (which is ROTH) to my ROTH IRA. Vanguard says I can even contribute and then shortly thereafter rollover. One downside is that currently this must be done via US Mail, these forms are not yet available to be Docu-signed.

Then, each year I would evaluate the ability to convert some of the Rollover IRA to ROTH.

Two questions:

1) Is there ANY downside to my plan, NOT INCLUDING the annual conversions mentioned in the last sentence? I don't see any.

2) My wife also has a Rollover IRA, in which we converted SOME of the assets last year to ROTH. With two Rollover IRA (hers and mine), do I have to proportionally convert each to ROTH, or is that just within an individual if you have multiple taxable IRA accounts and want to convert some to ROTH?

Thank you.

welderwannabe

Re: 59 1/2 - 401K, 403b, etc.

Post by welderwannabe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 am

Seems like a lot of work to me. Instead of that, consider rolling your i401k to Fidelity. That's what I did when I got tired of Vanguard's silly restrictions on their i401k product.

I still have 30% of my net worth at Vanguard, just not my 401k.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks, but when Fidelity NetBenefits screwed up my wife's 403b contributions, and took 5 months to fix them (requiring nearly a day of my time), I removed all but 0.65% of my assets from Fidelity and never plan to go back. I had been there since 1987. With my assigned Vanguard rep, I get great support and he fixes any issues that I have.

In fact, Fidelity is again causing issues with my last transfer, this one from a taxable account. They said I could keep a zero balance, then denied the partial transfer. So I put a small deposit in (Fidelity Credit Card), and they still denied the transfer, now saying the balance had to be at least $150, but the reps that you talk to say that's not correct, but "we'll put a ticket in". I simply raised the balance to $150.01, and will complete the transfer this week. Then, I'll email and get documentation of a minimum balance, if any, that I must keep in the taxable brokerage account to catch future credit card rewards, save that email, and reduce the balance.

I don't care about the work once or twice a year, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 pm

403(b)'s and 401(k)'s have better asset protection from creditors than IRAs.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 am

Thank you for that point. However, the vast majority of my assets are already in taxable and IRAs, so that would not really matter. I also have a $3m liability policy.