Removing oil stains on garage floor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
boglemania

Removing oil stains on garage floor

Post by boglemania » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Smooth concrete inside garage. Oil stains. About 3x2 ft....just bothers me. Preferred method of removing them if possible?
TIA.

ClevrChico

Re: Removing oil stains on garage floor

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:42 pm

I've used Dawn and Brillo pads with success. Dawn soaks and brushing might be enough before getting too aggressive.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 pm

I've used a poultice made with mineral spirits and diatomaceous earth (found at hardware stores). Mineral spirits soaks in then diatomaceous earth draws the spirits and oil residue out as it dries. I cover with plastic for a few hours to let the mineral spirits soak in before the drying process begins.
Ventilate well and don't do more than a couple of square feet at a time.

No scrubbing required.

mikebee

Post by mikebee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Cement, dry of course, I don't mean concrete. This is what they always use at motor racing tracks if there is an oil spill. Put the cement powder on the stain and rub it in with a gloved finger.

tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 pm

I had this problem a number of years ago. The solution that worked for me, after trying a number of them, was something similar to this product, http://www.pour-n-restore.com/products/ ... mover.html. It was viscous with a citrus scent.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:53 pm

mikebee wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm
Cement, dry of course, I don't mean concrete. This is what they always use at motor racing tracks if there is an oil spill. Put the cement powder on the stain and rub it in with a gloved finger.
Would likely work very well.

I use the "cat sand" type stuff they sell at Autozone. I sprinkle on the stain and grind it in with my shoe. Clean up 24h later, stain is gone. (Well at least 95% of it)

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am

tidelandp wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 pm
I had this problem a number of years ago. The solution that worked for me, after trying a number of them, was something similar to this product, http://www.pour-n-restore.com/products/ ... mover.html. It was viscous with a citrus scent.
I've used this stuff on our driveway in the past - yup, works as advertised.

John Z

Post by John Z » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am

Yeah, just clay cat litter. Grind it into powder with your foot and let set for a couple of days and you won't even know there was a stain there.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am

Had to look to see if they still sell it, but Spic and Span powder always seemed to work miracles.

Growing up my father was a mechanic, and my weekends and summers while a kid usually consisted of working in his shop - which was usually giving it a thorough cleaning. He used to buy the stuff in 5 gal buckets, spraying the flow with water, sprinkling a good bit of the stuff on top of the water, then scrubbing it in with a broom and by foot for a few mins, and finally a rinse and dry off with a squeegee would make the floor almost perfectly clean.

Had almost forgot this memory until reading the various comments - I don't know if the formulation of the stuff has changed, but it used to work quite well.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 am

Cat litter soak up if still some stain then spray brake or carb cleaner on it.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 am

I have found Krud Kutter concrete cleaner and degreaser to work well. You can get at Home Depot.