Spain in May end

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LiveSimple

Spain in May end

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 am

Any ideas for a week in Spain ( May last week)

Where to fly in and from where to fly out

What cities to cover

By train ?

Will Air BNB work better than hotel ?

Can we do Amsterdam and Spain in a week ( 9 days ) ? As Amsterdam may be the hub for transfer.

Cyclesafe

Re: Spain in May end

Post by Cyclesafe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Spain is a HUGE country with lots of varied attractions. In late May the touristy areas will be crowded and if not in the Pyrenees very hot.

For me, a week driving around southwest Spain (Seville, Cordoba, Granada) and hitting a few beaches would be the way to go. You won't have time for Amsterdam as one day is wasted flying, one day to see Amsterdam, and one day to connect to your next flight are not a good use of your one week.

Too bad you don't have (much) more time.

voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Spain is a HUGE country with lots of varied attractions. In late May the touristy areas will be crowded and if not in the Pyrenees very hot.

For me, a week driving around southwest Spain (Seville, Cordoba, Granada) and hitting a few beaches would be the way to go. You won't have time for Amsterdam as one day is wasted flying, one day to see Amsterdam, and one day to connect to your next flight are not a good use of your one week.

Too bad you don't have (much) more time.
I will be in Andalucia in October, how is it driving around Seville, Cordoba, Granada?

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm

voodoo72 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm

I will be in Andalucia in October, how is it driving around Seville, Cordoba, Granada?
It depends... The main freeways and roads are fine, and easy driving. Getting into the older portions of some of the cities (and even many smaller towns) can be a distinct challenge with narrow streets and restricted zones. I found the gps in our phones didn't work all that well at the fine detail level with our offline maps in the cities (was slow and erratic in tracking our position). Parking garages can be quite tight. On our recent trip in the area, we ended up with a "free" upgrade to an Opel convertible, from the generic small car we had reserved. The car had plenty of power (turbo-diesel), but visibility was horrible both on-road and parking. It made for a more stressful trip - an econobox would have been better for the driving we did. My saving grace was heading to the bottom level of the underground garages where there was usually more room.

Despite the challenges, I'd probably use a car again for the area. More flexibility, similar cost (for two) vs using trains/buses.

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm
voodoo72 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

You can always take the bullet train, the AVE, between Seville and Cordoba if that suits your plans.

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I'd do a day in Madrid to see the Prado and Reina Sofia museums. Take a guided tour of the Prado, where for a bargain price you will learn so much more about Spain and its art. The bullet train runs from Madrid to Cordoba to Seville and takes a couple of hours to get from Madrid to Seville. Once relocated to Seville you could take the bullet train (the AVE) to Cordoba for a day trip to see the Mezquita (mosque), which is something to see. Seville has its beautiful cathedral and the Alcazar and it's just a great city to be in for a few days. From Seville you could also take a day trip to Ronda, which is a beautiful city, by rental car and also go to Gibraltar, but maybe not in the same day. Gibraltar is a big day trip by itself from Seville. Another day trip from Seville is the city of Granada with its main attraction, the Alhambra. Those would be my big hitters for a week in Spain. All of Andalusia is great. You will enjoy it no matter what you do.

voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
voodoo72 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm

It depends... The main freeways and roads are fine, and easy driving. Getting into the older portions of some of the cities (and even many smaller towns) can be a distinct challenge with narrow streets and restricted zones. I found the gps in our phones didn't work all that well at the fine detail level with our offline maps in the cities (was slow and erratic in tracking our position). Parking garages can be quite tight. On our recent trip in the area, we ended up with a "free" upgrade to an Opel convertible, from the generic small car we had reserved. The car had plenty of power (turbo-diesel), but visibility was horrible both on-road and parking. It made for a more stressful trip - an econobox would have been better for the driving we did. My saving grace was heading to the bottom level of the underground garages where there was usually more room.

Despite the challenges, I'd probably use a car again for the area. More flexibility, similar cost (for two) vs using trains/buses.
Thanks!!

voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Rocco Sampler wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm
curmudgeon wrote:
voodoo72 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

You can always take the bullet train, the AVE, between Seville and Cordoba if that suits your plans.
Thanks!!

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

rocco wrote:
I'd do a day in Madrid to see the Prado and Reina Sofia museums. Take a guided tour of the Prado, where for a bargain price you will learn so much more about Spain and its art. The bullet train runs from Madrid to Cordoba to Seville and takes a couple of hours to get from Madrid to Seville. Once relocated to Seville you could take the bullet train (the AVE) to Cordoba for a day trip to see the Mezquita (mosque), which is something to see. Seville has its beautiful cathedral and the Alcazar and it's just a great city to be in for a few days. From Seville you could also take a day trip to Ronda, which is a beautiful city, by rental car and also go to Gibraltar, but maybe not in the same day. Gibraltar is a big day trip by itself from Seville. Another day trip from Seville is the city of Granada with its main attraction, the Alhambra. Those would be my big hitters for a week in Spain. All of Andalusia is great. You will enjoy it no matter what you do.
I've been to Spain many times and I think Rocco's suggestion is excellent. Driving in the cities is tough, driving from city to city in Andalusia much less so. I would favor a two day trip to Rhonda and a couple nearby smaller "white villages" in the region over the long trip to Gibraltar. There is an interesting cave with some minor cave paintings near Rhonda, Cueva de la Pileta, if you think that might be of interest.

If you decide to stay near Madrid, Avila, Segovia, El Escorial, and Toledo all doable day trips. (Because of Madrid traffic I would not do driving day trips out of Madrid to these cities.)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 pm

My recommendation would be to divide your time equally between Madrid, Seville, and Granada. You can do Barcelona on a different trip. Fly in and out of Madrid. Take the train from Madrid to Seville. Take the train and bus from Seville to Granada. Take the bus and train from Granada to Madrid. No need to rent any cars on this itinerary. Purchase your tickets in advance to the Palacio Real in Madrid, the Prado Museum in Madrid, the Alcazar in Seville, and the Alhambra in Granada. Keep in mind that Sundays and Mondays are the days when many stores, restaurants, and tourist attractions are closed.

askerdu

Post by askerdu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 pm

What are you interested in seeing/experiencing? Catalunya is beautiful and very diverse. You can visit Barcelona to get an urban experience, and then drive up the Costa Brava and stop along the many towns along the way (Aiguablava, Begur, Rosas, Cadaqués - really there are so many to choose from). Some of them have beautiful beaches (think mediterranean, tranquil, very blue), some of them have excellent food, some have art (Figueres, Dalí's hometown, has a great museum), and if you tire of the beaches you can drive an hour and go to Girona or the mountain towns (Camprodon). There is a lot to see/do and it's fairly easy to drive all around there.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 am

Peter Foley wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm
rocco wrote:
I've been to Spain many times and I think Rocco's suggestion is excellent. Driving in the cities is tough, driving from city to city in Andalusia much less so. I would favor a two day trip to Rhonda and a couple nearby smaller "white villages" in the region over the long trip to Gibraltar. There is an interesting cave with some minor cave paintings near Rhonda, Cueva de la Pileta, if you think that might be of interest.

If you decide to stay near Madrid, Avila, Segovia, El Escorial, and Toledo all doable day trips. (Because of Madrid traffic I would not do driving day trips out of Madrid to these cities.)
I'll add my vote to Ronda. It was a great little hill town. We took a car out of Seville through Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, and Jerez. The last, Jerez, has been mispronounced for a long time in English and is the home of Sherry. An interesting stop. There are a lot of very nice national parks in the area too for hiking and a fair number of caves.

Toledo, if you are going to do it, is an easy trip from Madrid by train. You can do it as a day trip but we ended up staying 2 nights.

Get as small a car as you can for getting around some of the towns which can be narrow and the parking tight.. Be aware that there are areas in some towns where you are only allowed to drive your car in them as a non-resident for a very short time. We had hotel bookings in some of them and the hotel proprietor had to register our car's plate.

I'll also suggest that a week is way too short and that if you are going to go for only that long then you should focus on one area.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:31 am

My last trip to Spain was for 9 days:
-flew in & out of Madrid
-2 nights in Madrid
-2 nights in Salamanca (2.5 hours drive time from Madrid)
-2 nights in Avila (1 hour drive time from Salamanca)
-2 nights in Toledo (2 hour drive time from Avila)
-last night in Alcala de Henares (near airport; about an hour drive from Toledo)

We had a car, but I believe there are trains or buses between those places.

As Peter Foley mentioned, Segovia is also nice for 2 nights (1 full day) & about a 1.5 hour drive from Madrid).

bill

Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I would highly recommend the Northwest region of Spain/Basque Country as an alternative to Andalusia. You could fly into Madrid and travel by train to towns like Vigo/Santiago de Compostela/Santander/Bilbao/San Sebastian. San Sebastian is one of my all-time favorite cities. And their pintxos (like tapas) are amazing! If I were you, I'd plan a trip around Madrid for 2 nights, San Sebastian for 2 nights and filling in the other days in towns that will loop you back to Madrid for a final night before your departure.

We went to Andalusia at the end of May last year (2017). It was hot! We stayed in a mix of AirBnB's and hotels (using points).

Itinerary overview:
-Flew into Barcelona and immediately took a high-speed morning train to Cordoba. (We've seen Barcelona.)
-1 night in Cordoba. I recommend staying in the Jewish Quarter. Very Charming.
-Train to Seville for 2 nights. It retrospect I would have planned to stay 3 nights. We had an amazing AirBnB just a few streets away from the Seville Cathedral. Loved Seville.
-Bus to Ronda for 1 night. Lovely town.
-Train to Granada for 2 nights. Definitely visit the Alhambra, and make reservations early. Again we stayed in an AirBnB right by the Hamman al Andalus, which is worth a visit as well.
-Bus to Malaga. Stay in Malaga 1 night and flew out the next day. The Malaga airport has a very good Priority Pass lounge.

Train/bus travel is very easy and enjoyable.

Taz

Post by Taz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 am

If you go to Seville, drive to Porto de Santa Maria / Jerez to visit a couple of sherry bodegas. If you are there at night, ask around for one of the smaller flamenco performances, especially if you are there during Feria (fair) season (dates depend on the city).
The destination matters.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 pm

I'll be in Madrid and Barcelona in early May. We'll fly into Madrid, spend a few days there, then take the AVE train to Barcelona. Amsterdam is so far out of the way. I'd spend the whole 9 days exploring Spain and leave Amsterdam for another time.

TravelforFun

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 pm
I'll be in Madrid and Barcelona in early May. We'll fly into Madrid, spend a few days there, then take the AVE train to Barcelona. Amsterdam is so far out of the way. I'd spend the whole 9 days exploring Spain and leave Amsterdam for another time.

TravelforFun
We just put a round trip flight to Madrid from Newark on Fare Lock in early May for $600. Had to do that as flights to Lisbon, where we really wanted to go, are almost $1400. Going to drive to Portugal via Salamanca, tour Portugal for 12 days and return to Madrid via a TBD location. Just can’t understand while flights to Lisbon that are nowhere near full are so much more expensive than flights to Madrid.

We have toured southern Spain and all the recommendations here are spot on.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm

We just put a round trip flight to Madrid from Newark on Fare Lock in early May for $600. Had to do that as flights to Lisbon, where we really wanted to go, are almost $1400.
I assume you know that a Madrid-Lisbon RT in early May via EasyJet or AirEuropa is often available for $75-$140 pp. Iberia and RyanAir also compete for that route.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:00 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm

We just put a round trip flight to Madrid from Newark on Fare Lock in early May for $600. Had to do that as flights to Lisbon, where we really wanted to go, are almost $1400.
I assume you know that a Madrid-Lisbon RT in early May via EasyJet or AirEuropa is often available for $75-$140 pp. Iberia and RyanAir also compete for that route.
No, I wasn’t aware that it was that inexpensive. Thanks for the heads up.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Spain in a week? No. Parts of Spain in a week? Yes, the question for you is to determine which parts do you want to see. What is the one thing you have to visit? And then the second and so on. We all travel differently, keep this in mind.

Get the Rick Steves book on Spain to help determine your agenda. In a week time is of the essence, the more you travel, the less time you will have for your experience. Don't kill yourself hopping from one spot to the next. This isn't Epcot. I spent over 16 non-flight days in Spain and I had to limit my time.

Part of your agenda will be determined on whether you are flying in to Madrid or Barcelona.

If it is Madrid, consider the bullet train to Cordoba (Mezquita), then Seville and maybe Granada. If you plan it right you leave from Madrid in the morning, stop in Cordoba for a half day and then the late afternoon to Seville. If you want to stay in Madrid and the surrounding area take short train trips, Toledo is great! In Madrid the Prado and the surrounding gardens are at least one day.

If it is the Alhambra weigh the time and constraints of train vs flight. Remember baggage limitations if it is a flight and time for the airport. For me the Alhambra was my #1 priority. Spent 2 nights there and I wanted to walk the grounds at night, really cool!!!!! Stayed in a hotel by a plaza and in the late afternnon and nightly walked over to a church where outside someone was always entertaining. Think classical guitar in Spain.

Barcelona is well worth several days in of itself. Stay in the Ramblas area. Of course the Sagrada de Familia. Take a train out to Montserrat for the Abbey up in the mountains. From the train station you take a cable car to the top. In Barcelona you can also hit the beach.

The list is endless, but remember the trip is yours and so is your time and money. We all have different wants and needs. You are only limited by the constraints that you impose on yourself. As for myself, I don't stay am for the "American" hotels and restaurants. When in Spain, be Spanish. On your next trip to say Amsterdam, be Dutch. BTW Amsterdam and Holland is great. But that's another time.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm

The Cordoba feria this year is from 19-26 May. Given OP's schedule of last week of May, might be able to catch the last day or two. Good time to visit the city.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Another vote here for the Basque country. Bilboa is an incredibly easy airport with connections to Amsterdam. Renting a car is simple there- the major rental companies are a short walk from your gate (no shuttle needed!). I think I liked the city of Bilbao better than the more beautiful San Sebastian, but the pinxto scene in both is lots of fun. Food is fantastic throughout the Basque country. Public transportation up and down the Basque coast is excellent and via very high quality motor coaches if you don't want to rent a car (although then you would miss some of the beautiful countryside that is not so accessible by public transit). The weather in May should be lovely and not as hot as down south or inland.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:32 pm

If you do get a car and are a Yank, then you need to get an Intl Driving permit in Spain.

Other advice about not wanting/needing a car in cities is good. Expect to pay more for parking than the rental.

Rail and bus service is excellent between many cities and points of interest. For instance, one could fly into Seville and take the airport bus or taxi into the town center and then everything is walkable. Day trip or overnight to Cordoba on a high speed train is only about 45 mins each way. There are other day trips however, with only a week one could find plenty to do right in Seville.

If you want to town hop for 6 days, then a car rental is the way to go.

P.S. someone mentioned Granada and the Alhambra, planning for that requires purchasing tickets months in advance or paying a premium for the Granada car, which is likely sold out as well. Check on that before you make plans to go there for seeing it. It is amazing but so are other sights in Spain.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Last fall I was able to buy an Alhambra ticket online in mid-September for a late October visit.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:41 pm
Last fall I was able to buy an Alhambra ticket online in mid-September for a late October visit.
I was able to buy a ticket the day before, in December. Unfortunately May is likely much busier than October or December.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Rhonda and the white villages is a good suggestion. There are acres and acres of sunflower farms in that area and they are in bloom near the end of May. It's a very rewarding drive.

You don't need an international driving permit. I got one and never needed it - ever - I rented a car in Madrid, drove the length of Portugal, returned the car in Barcelona and took the AVE high speed train back to Madrid.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 pm
Rhonda and the white villages is a good suggestion. There are acres and acres of sunflower farms in that area and they are in bloom near the end of May. It's a very rewarding drive.

You don't need an international driving permit. I got one and never needed it - ever - I rented a car in Madrid, drove the length of Portugal, returned the car in Barcelona and took the AVE high speed train back to Madrid.
You are correct that you don't need the IDP to rent a car, although I've heard that some rental companies do ask. I've rented cars in Spain 6 times and was never asked for my IDP.

But if you do get stopped by the police you maybe asked where it is, since it is legally required in Spain.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

I am sure that there are people who choose not to get an IDP and as long as you do not get pulled over and the rental car company does not ask for it then you are fine. The same would be true of having a drivers license at all. As long as nothing happens you do not need a driving license.

However, it is required and there is a fine for not having one. Google is your friend, lots of people paid the 250 euros for not having one. An IDO is not required in Portugal though.
bighatnohorse wrote:

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm

If you go to the website you will see that they are sold out well into June, maybe July by now. The Granada card was sold out through mid-May last time I checked.
neilpilot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
I was able to buy a ticket the day before, in December. Unfortunately May is likely much busier than October or December.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 pm

You should really see the Rick Steves book for recommendations.

You can also fly in and out of Malaga Spain.

We flew out of there last year on a three+ week trip where we flew into Barcelona, took the fast train to Madrid, then Sevelle, then picked up a rental car that we drove around Andalucia then dropped the rental car at the Malaga.

With nine days I would only really try about two areas but even then you would burn up the better part of a day with packing up, going to the train station, taking the train, getting to your new hotel etc. Even if the train trip is only a couple of hours all the other logistics will take a lot of time. For nine days I would really consider just picking one area then doing a few day trips around that area.

The roads in Andalucia were excellent except in the cities where roads were of course narrow winding and confusing since they were laid out hundreds of years ago. Your GPS will likely not work in the old town parts of cities when you really need it because of interference of the buildings even if the maps would otherwise be OK. Print out directions. In the Rick Steves books he will often recommend where to park your car on the outskirts of the old town areas.

Check the Rick Steves book on which tickets you should book online now(or better several months ago :D ). If it is too late to book your own tickets the book will also suggest how to find a tour that includes the tickets. As I recall getting tickets in advance to the Alhambra and the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona was very necessary. Be very careful about the dates on the tickets since it may be Day/Month/Year instead of Month/Day/Year.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm
bighatnohorse wrote:

You are correct that you don't need the IDP to rent a car, although I've heard that some rental companies do ask. I've rented cars in Spain 6 times and was never asked for my IDP.

But if you do get stopped by the police you maybe asked where it is, since it is legally required in Spain.
I have always taken one since they are only around $20 and if you catch someone on a bad day and they ask for it that could cause all sorts of problems.

Also check the expiration date on your driver's license. Your passport may need to have six months left on it past your expected return date to get into some countries but I don't know about Spain.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm
If you go to the website you will see that they are sold out well into June, maybe July by now. The Granada card was sold out through mid-May last time I checked.
neilpilot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
In that case, there are still two alternatives:
1. Go to the Alhambra and only visit the "free areas" not requiring a ticket. Even those areas are pretty impressive and have good views of some of the ticketed areas. I went up there the day before the day of my ticket, and I spent over two hours wandering around the free areas. When I returned the following day for my ticketed visit, I was much more efficient because I had already seen all the free stuff.
2. Contact a private tour company that has purchased a block of tickets in advance. It's definitely more expensive than buying from Ticketmaster, but some friends of mine did this on two days notice in 2016 and thought it was worth the extra money. Many of the Granada hotels have arrangements with these tour companies.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am

We spent 3 weeks in Spain in late May five years ago. Weather was great, not too hot. We rented a place outside Barcelona and took train to the city to save hassles. Then we flew to Malaga, a very overlooked place ( if you ask me!), spent several days, and rented car for day trips. Got rid of the rental car in Seville, as the extremely old city made driving nightmarish. High speed train to Madrid, where we again did daytrips to Cordoba, Toledo, etc.

Spanish highways are excellent and uncrowded, so a rental car may work out great. Do not recommend driving yourself in city centers like Barcelona or Seville (*shiver!*). GPS was invaluable throughout.

We rented small flats and a house in L’Arboche ( outside Barcelona), Seville and Madrid. No problems, except you should take your own toiletries (not provided). We rented a fabulous beachfront hotel in Malaga.