Anyone with experience with Carmax?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fidelio

Re: Anyone with experience with Carmax?

Post by fidelio » Fri May 17, 2013 5:01 am

i bought a vehicle there last year. no problems at all. as other posters have stated, they will sell you a car for about market price, and buy yours for the wholesale price. i think the difference is that they have employees who are real mechanics who inspect and recondition all their product, and they therefore can provide a real warranty.

Roger12

Post by Roger12 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Bought a 2013 Arcadia from them that was advertise as an awd. Well 2 years later come to find out its a front wheel drive. Are they anything we can do.

Yuba

Post by Yuba » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 pm

I had a positive sales experience with Carmax. My situation was a little different in that I was selling a car that was titled out of state. They handled everything on the same visit and I had my check within 2 hours from start to finish (they did apologize as it was a Sunday and they had a large number of people ahead of me)

Yuba

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm

I posted recently on another BH thread about my experience with getting a car appraised by Carmax. On that thread I also got recommendations for Vroom (think online version of Carmax). Looked more into this and also found Carvana. I ended up selling the car privately through Craigslist but Carvana offered a much better price than Carmax (Carmax $31000, Carvana $32457, Craigslist private sale $33500 but took a lot more effort and time). If I were to do it again I'd just sell to Carvana. And I'd consider them in the future for buying as well - the selection appears to be very good.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Roger12 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Bought a 2013 Arcadia from them that was advertise as an awd. Well 2 years later come to find out its a front wheel drive. Are they anything we can do.
Wow and wow.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 pm

milestogo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm
I hate going to a car dealer and trying to negotiate a price? Has anyone had any experience with Carmax? Are their rpices reasonable or should one stilll try to get a better deal? I will be looking for a used suv like a lexus or bmw about 2-3 yrs old. i need 4wd or awd as I sometimes drive in snow and ice and occasionally a little bit of off road. I could trade in my currrent car but may keep it as a car for upcoming teenage driver.
You're going to take your Lexus/BMW off road?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:12 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm
I posted recently on another BH thread about my experience with getting a car appraised by Carmax. On that thread I also got recommendations for Vroom (think online version of Carmax). Looked more into this and also found Carvana. I ended up selling the car privately through Craigslist but Carvana offered a much better price than Carmax (Carmax $31000, Carvana $32457, Craigslist private sale $33500 but took a lot more effort and time). If I were to do it again I'd just sell to Carvana. And I'd consider them in the future for buying as well - the selection appears to be very good.
Good to know. Hadn't heard of them but seen them selling cars online and would ship free to you. Almost seemed like a scam

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:27 am
I used this process last year. I found what I was looking for on Autotrader. I immediately went to the dealership. They had not even cleaned the car yet. After a test drive and brief negotiation I traded my used car for a Toyota Avalon. The salesman claimed there were several other people who also were very interested in it. Who knows, but I do know from the price, it was priced 15% below what I could have got from Carmax, which would have been a fair price. It was also a Toyota certified used car which gave me a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty. That certification usually increases the car’s price.
My wife was amazed we did this so quickly. There is so much info on the web today that it enables one to efficiently shop for a car without the typical hassle. KBB, NADA and Edmunds pricing for the Avalon and my car were all over the map and never seemed to compare well with Carmax or other dealers. Carmax does not play games and gives you confidence in what the market price is for the car you are looking for and what you want to trade in.
The Avalon is an odd duck where market prices have a wide range. You'd have a harder time finding such a deal with a Corolla or Camry. It's possible the Avalon was a tradein that the dealer was about to let go to auction and Carmax might have picked it up for around what you paid for it and mark it up 15%.