Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Loik098

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by Loik098 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 am
Loik098 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:46 am
Problem statement: After reading a book about sleep, I decided to improve the quality of mine by eliminating blue light frequencies for a couple hours before sleep.

Regret: I have purchased two yellow light bulbs for my bedroom. Unfortunately, the bulbs were too dim for me to read in bed.
This is probably part of your problem. One should not use the bed for anything else but sleep (and the other "s").
This is a common advice but it's not practical. What do you do during the 1.5 hours between finishing your daily activities and falling asleep?
- TV? Out of the question. I don't have a TV. But even those who have a TV should not watch it before sleep due to the blue light.
- Smartphone? The same problem as with computers and other sources of blue light.
- Dinner? It's not advisable to eat for 2 hours before sleep.
- Walk? Walking in the dark is less enjoyable than during daylight.
- Exercise? Exercising before sleep disturbs sleep.
- Your other "s"? It works some times, but you can't count on it for 1.5 hours every night before sleep.

Victoria
I suppose I would find a comfortable chair/recliner and read there.

Changing scenery by getting into a cool, crisp bed with the plan of going to sleep seems to "trigger" my brain to respond and to let me sleep. OTOH, if I'm in bed for 2 hours but stay awake, my body seems to get confused about what it's supposed to be doing.

If I could practice mind control over sleep, I would, but since I cannot, I treat it just like my diet: K.I.S.S., and don't try to confuse the body. Keep the bed as a sanctuary for only sleep.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:34 pm
Echo pole saw. It works fantastic but I just don't use it enough to justify. It's too specialized, having the chain saw with the long pole. I've got 2 Husqvarna chain saws that see a ton of use but my manual pole saw could have mostly sufficed. Either that or if a branch is that high, I can always just cut down the entire tree.

Seemed reasonable enough when I bought it. Then again, I was spending $13k on a tractor and impliments, so a few hundred dollars for a pole saw was nothing by comparison.
LOL!! I was going to say even if you use the pole saw once a year... doesn't the $200 price justify it. It is a unique tool. I use mine to trim 1 palm tree once a year now... and that's it.. But I've gotten quotes for $100 on average.. so it's paid for itself.

How about them Tractor Implements! I hope you're using those.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm
Life insurance.
I haven't gone that route and there was a risk... at this point I consider myself self insured.. but If I did pass. There isn't a ton extra to take care of my son or my niece. but there's a substantial amount.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 pm

badbreath wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 pm
My wife

I'm just kidding
:shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :sharebeer :sharebeer

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 pm

When I was in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) a few years ago I decided I wanted to go to Pennisc (a huge annual event) for the first time and insisted on camping in a replica Viking tent because I was super snobby about being historically accurate. Keep in mind I had never camped before this, ever, not even in a cabin. I spent over $1000 on a tent, bed, and accessories at Panther Primitives and tried it out for the first time at a smaller event. Somehow I fit the whole mess into my Honda Civic, breaking the front passenger seat in the process and I had to keep my trunk open partially for the wooden frame.

The first night (Friday) at the event I realized I absolutely hated camping at SCA events. I also hated the tent; it was pitch black inside, miserably hot, and induced claustrophobia. I had to keep both door flaps open to not feel like I was suffocating. I could not sleep at all the entire weekend and by Sunday I was miserable and eager to leave. I didn't go to Pennsic, never used the tent again and ended up giving it away, and quit the SCA soon after that.

Don't be dumb like me, if you want to try camping, buy a cheap tent on Craigslist for your first time. :)

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 am
Shares in Webvan (early internet grocery delivery service). Share price dived and never came back, it went bankrupt. I ended up selling it to my broker (and paying the sales trade charge) just to get it off my statement so I didn't have to look at it. You're probably thinking that I at least got a tax loss out of it, sorry, no such luck, I had bought it in an IRA account).
Ugh. We had Webvan, too. But luckily ours was in a taxable account so at least we got a deduction for the loss.

animule

Post by animule » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

T. Rowe Price Science and Technology Fund a year or two before the tech bubble burst, way before I found Bogleheads.

Bought it to sock away college money for the kids.

Ended up getting an expensive education on sector funds.

Avoid them at all costs.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 pm

ipad. I bought an ipad and realized it was a huge waste of money- got it for the hype. Then got a macbook pro 15 inch and couldn't be happier :D

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

A Hot Tub. Fine for a couple of years, but broke down and has languished for years. Jets broke, cover saturated with chemicals and now too heavy to lift, pump failed. Just let it all go due to repair costs. Now it will probably cost me money to get rid of it.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

A Cleveland driver, then a Callaway driver and finally a Taylor Made driver. Could never hit any of them. Now I just hit a 3 wood and actually end up in the fairway.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 pm
badbreath wrote:
My wife

I'm just kidding
Do you also regret badbreath's wife?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am

Loik098 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:46 am
Problem statement: After reading a book about sleep, I decided to improve the quality of mine by eliminating blue light frequencies for a couple hours before sleep.

Regret: I have purchased two yellow light bulbs for my bedroom. Unfortunately, the bulbs were too dim for me to read in bed.
This is probably part of your problem. One should not use the bed for anything else but sleep (and the other "s").
Surfing the web? :D

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 am

For us it is easily the treadmill and elliptical when my wife and I bought our first townhouse after getting married. WIthin 1 month she did not want to do the elliptical becuase "it was too hard". We both used the treadmill off and on for several years sparingly. Then we had kids. From then on it was not used. Sold the townhouse and it was a nightmare to find 2 folks to 1. Buy it and 2. Figure out how to take it apart and lug it away.

Can say I will never buy fitness machines again. Would rather go to the gym for 2 months get bored and discontinue!

All in all it was 2-4k down the tubes.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Somewhat regret a new car in some ways in other ways it's great to know the maintenance history, how it's been driven, and that only I have farted in it (and a few smelly friends/family). For the little amount I drive, a higher mileage few years old car would be fine. Plus I heard the new car smell is actually toxic fumes.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:42 am

dratkinson wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 am
leftcoaster wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:44 pm
jerryk68 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:36 pm
Learned a lot and was very selective in my second and current marriage.
“Current marriage” - lol

Do you really introduce your wife as “your current wife”? Seems like one of those quips you can pull off... once.
Had a college friend, newly wed to high school sweetheart, who introduced his wife as, "This is Rrrr, my first wife."

Don't know how that turned out.
No amount of emoticons can convey humor between spouses. I've been married 15 years in my only marriage. Not regularly, but many times I have told my wife; "of all my wives, you're the best" and "you're the best wife I ever had". I tell her that in front of friends too. It's all good.

Anyway, I didn't "have" to have it, but I bought a riding lawn mower. What a PITA. Should have just got a lawn service. It also necessitated buying a several thousand $$$ shed to store it in.

Setafix

Post by Setafix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Before I knew anything about investing. I bought an index Universa Life insurance policy when I was single few years ago. I had it for a year. My brother still has his. :oops:

tpetsch

Post by tpetsch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Purchased the "NEW" LINN Linn Sekrit "106C" In-Wall Speakers. Found out they were just Chinese made junk, sounded horrible, surprisingly horrible.

Reverted back to -Ebay bought, Vintage Made in Scotland- Linn Sekrits In-Walls and could not be happier.

Lessen Learned: Just because something is called "New & Improved" does not mean it's actually "New & Improved".

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I'd say higher end purchases for the kids. The fancy crib was barely used. Fancy carseats that we paid too much for. (I like our mainstream carseats better.)

Kid items either seem to be destroyed in short order or not used. There's no need to go fancy on most this stuff. I gave away the good stuff to friends or sold it for a song to new parents.

Paying extra for great childcare was worth it, though!

Penelope7

Post by Penelope7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Netflix, STEM toys my boys never touch (and didn't really learn from), an iPhone 7, an iPad Pro, furniture for an room we never use (EVER), a third TV... we make lots of financial mistakes. I bought life insurance at 21 that I finally had the sense to drop at 25.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Mickey7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 pm
My Jeckyl and Hyde was a 1983 Buick Riviera

I really thought that I could afford that dream car. Every girl that I knew at that time really thought it was a dream car. In my mind that meant "chick magnet".
I've definitely bought cars for the "chick magnet" factor. The only people who seemed impressed were dudes. I've never considered Buick a "chick magnet," unless she's more of a hen. And they go for Miatas, judging by the snowbirds in Florida.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 pm

AOL stock.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Passports. Spent around $400 and never used them.

timewarp

Post by timewarp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

An extended warranty for my truck, paid about 900.00 for the warranty and went to use the warranty about 2 years later on a ball joint issue and the company wanted to see a copy of my oil changes! I had kept up with them and finally found all of the receipts for oil changes and then the company reneged again and said I had not had the EGR Valve replaced. A Total Sham. I ended up getting about 300.00 bucks back after cancelling the warranty. Dont buy extended warranties.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 pm

The wife works full-time, goes to school full-time, and is a mother of two. She also has very mixed athletic interests; ranging from combat sports (she does krav maga and some muy thai) to semi-serious strength training to cycling. Her athletic interests/goals are not conducive to a lot of long-distance cycling training, notwithstanding the time commitment necessary to become a really good cyclist. She'd get almost no use out of a real road bike due to a number of different factors, it would almost assuredly become a $2k+ garage ornament. That is the issue.
Wow! Works full-time, full-time student, mother of two, krav mega, muay thai, strength training and cycling? When/how long does your wife sleep and what type of mattress does she use? I have to have that mattress even if I end up regretting it in the future. I'm tired just reading about her.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 pm
badbreath wrote:
My wife

I'm just kidding
Do you also regret badbreath's wife?

Victoria
Where is this going?? Lol

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm

joeblow wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 pm

The wife works full-time, goes to school full-time, and is a mother of two. She also has very mixed athletic interests; ranging from combat sports (she does krav maga and some muy thai) to semi-serious strength training to cycling. Her athletic interests/goals are not conducive to a lot of long-distance cycling training, notwithstanding the time commitment necessary to become a really good cyclist. She'd get almost no use out of a real road bike due to a number of different factors, it would almost assuredly become a $2k+ garage ornament. That is the issue.
Wow! Works full-time, full-time student, mother of two, krav mega, muay thai, strength training and cycling? When/how long does your wife sleep and what type of mattress does she use? I have to have that mattress even if I end up regretting it in the future. I'm tired just reading about her.
We ended up with a nectar https://www.nectarsleep.com/. Simultaneously having full-time jobs, being full-time students, and being pretty serious competitive athletes has been the reality for one (or both of us simultaneously) for going on 15yrs; adding a pair of kids to the mix was just another thing. We have designed our life around automating (or eliminating) a lot of the processes that others seem to spend a lot of time on, so we can focus our efforts on the things we believe truly matter...hence the pretty strong hesitation to make an investment into more serious cycling (training for cycling is very time intensive).
Last edited by stoptothink on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

My foldable bike with twenty inch wheels. It is not the foldable aspect itself but the brakes are truly horrible. I replaced them but they still stink. I think it is due to the metal on the wheels. Also, it is a bit heavy.