H&R Block software problem

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Almost there

H&R Block software problem

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Had the following two problems that I want others to be aware of before filing:

Your 2016 AGI: States the following:
Since you filed with us last year, we've already entered this for you.
The box indicated '0' so I thought my AGI amount was hidden, though I filed last year with H&R Block. Took me awhile to figure out the answer after the IRS rejected my Return.
Answer: right click in box and select Override. In the entry Information tab in the pop-up window, check the Override this entry box and then enter the 2016 AGI value in the field below. Click OK. Your entry now appears in red.

Sign Your Federal Return: States the following:
By creating a 2017 PIN, you're signing your return and agreeing to the e-file disclosure document. PIN (empty box) any 5-digit number. I thought H&R Block wanted a brand new number vs. using the same 5-digit number from my 2016 Return. I entered a new 5-digit number. After my Return was rejected by the IRS, I went back and entered the 5-digit number I used for my 2016 Return.

Yes, my Return was accepted.

BHUser27

Re: H&R Block software problem

Post by BHUser27 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the tip.
For clarity, was this the on-line version or the one you install on your local PC?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 pm

I ran into this same or similar problem. I used TurboTax last year so I imported my information from the PDF that Turbotax created; all was good except my 2016 AGI which got imported wrong - like way wrong as in I wish I had made that much last year. It took me awhile to figure out how to override it - not intuitive at all.

This was the desktop version of H&R Block.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Kenkat, I understand. Truly.
Wrote to H&R about it so they are aware of it for next year.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Why would you want to import your 2016 AGI into your 2017 tax return?

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:51 pm

vtMaps wrote:
I didn't write to import the 2016 AGI. The software requested the info in order to verify who you are. Both the AGI and pin number.

wander

Post by wander » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 pm
I ran into this same or similar problem. I used TurboTax last year so I imported my information from the PDF that Turbotax created;
That's not the right way to import from TurboTax to H&R Block.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 pm

This year I decided to try Free File since I have little income. Started with MyFreeTaxes which, as it turns out, uses H&R Block software. Supposedly. I had used the paid version of H&R Block last year and so was able to use my existing login and easily import last year's data. Supposedly.
The data that it entered for 2016 was off. My AGI showed up as $0. I continued using the program and found that it was not as intuitive as the paid version. It did not allow me to enter some data that it was supposed to accept, and when I called for technical help I was told I would have to talk to a tax advisor (???) and would need to pay to use the software.
I decided to try a different free file program and went with OLT (On-Line Taxes). I finished using OLT and filed my taxes yesterday.
When asked by H&R Block to evaluate their program, I did. I was generous and gave the 2 stars along with detail about specific problems.

That $0 under 2016 AGI appears to be an issue.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Thank you GerryL.
My partner and I use the same H&R version. His 2016 AGI was there and correct.

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Almost there wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:51 pm
vtMaps wrote:
I didn't write to import the 2016 AGI. The software requested the info in order to verify who you are. Both the AGI and pin number.
They are not needed when you don't efile.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (tax software).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 am

Almost there wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm
Had the following two problems that I want others to be aware of before filing:

Your 2016 AGI: States the following:
Since you filed with us last year, we've already entered this for you.
The box indicated '0' so I thought my AGI amount was hidden, though I filed last year with H&R Block. Took me awhile to figure out the answer after the IRS rejected my Return.
Answer: right click in box and select Override. In the entry Information tab in the pop-up window, check the Override this entry box and then enter the 2016 AGI value in the field below. Click OK. Your entry now appears in red.

Sign Your Federal Return: States the following:
By creating a 2017 PIN, you're signing your return and agreeing to the e-file disclosure document. PIN (empty box) any 5-digit number. I thought H&R Block wanted a brand new number vs. using the same 5-digit number from my 2016 Return. I entered a new 5-digit number. After my Return was rejected by the IRS, I went back and entered the 5-digit number I used for my 2016 Return.

Yes, my Return was accepted.
I am also using HR Block and my efile was rejected: the issue with spouse's AGI/PIN number. It has the correct amount for both of us on the HR block PDF form, and I used the same 5-digit numbers we had for 2016. Where did you see it in the web forms, and how did you access it to "override"? Based on this and another issue, HR block may not be getting my business again next year.

Thanks!

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 am

Used H&R Block desktop version for Tax Year 2016 and 2017.
Had the same problem with the incorrect 2016 AGI entered.
But i double check all input and found the instructions to change it after about 5 minutes.
Right click -> override ....
Was a little e frustrating at first you couldn't simply enter the correct info in to the entry directly.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 am

Runner540 wrote:
I am also using HR Block and my efile was rejected: the issue with spouse's AGI/PIN number. It has the correct amount for both of us on the HR block PDF form, and I used the same 5-digit numbers we had for 2016. Where did you see it in the web forms, and how did you access it to "override"? Based on this and another issue, HR block may not be getting my business again next year.
Sorry to read Runner540 that you are having the same problem. As I wrote, I right-clicked to override. That is now almost 2 months ago and I truly don't remember. I also cannot access my HR Block software since I have a problem with my computer.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Almost there wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 am
Runner540 wrote:
Sorry to read Runner540 that you are having the same problem. As I wrote, I right-clicked to override. That is now almost 2 months ago and I truly don't remember. I also cannot access my HR Block software since I have a problem with my computer.
Thanks, I was using the web based preparation, and couldn't resolve it, so I'm paper filing! If HRBlock and IRS can't accept my efile, they can sift through the forms themselves and see that we are who we say we are :)

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Good luck.
I did write to HR about the problems I encountered. Hopefully I won’t see them again next year.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 pm

I had no problems with the 2016 AGI import or with creating a brand new PIN for this year using the desktop H&R Block Deluxe.