How do I make sure IRS receives my manual tax return ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
misterno

How do I make sure IRS receives my manual tax return ?

Post by misterno » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 am

In some forums it says IRS does not recognize certified or express or priority mail as proof

So what is the best way to make sure IRS receives it?

StraightEdge

Re: How do I make sure IRS receives my manual tax return ?

Post by StraightEdge » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 am

When I used to do it by hand when I was single, I would always take it to the post office and do a return receipt or whatever it's called that shows proof I mailed it and also allowed me to receive something in the mail that showed when a physical person at the IRS office received my return. Sorry can't remember the terms though.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 am

misterno wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 am
In some forums it says IRS does not recognize certified or express or priority mail as proof

I have never filed electronically.
I have always just folded the forms in half, placed them into a 6x9 envelope, and mailed.
When you have more than 4 pages, the folding in half and placing them into 6 x 9 envelope is very handy.
No certified mail. No return receipt requested. No registered.

I have not had the tax forms been lost in over 30 years. [knock on wood]

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 am

Most people who file by mail just stick a stamp on it and drop it in the mailbox. Is there something special about your return where that’s not good enough?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 am

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/25416 ... ready-sent

If you are expecting a refund you can check the IRS website Where's My Refund 4 weeks after mailing your return.

http://www.irs.gov/Refunds

If you are not expecting a refund tracking your return can be a little more complicated. You can use the IRS's new online transcript request option to tell when your return has been processed. Once the return shows up in the transcript request the IRS has received and processed your return. Before that time it will show that you have not filed for the year. You can also judge by when the IRS processes your payment (if a tax payment was sent/due)

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
After 2-3 weeks have passed you may also call the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040 to inquire regarding the status of your return.
If I wasn't anticipating a refund, that would likely mean I was paying, and I would look for my bank account to be debited / check cashed.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am

misterno wrote:

which forums? maybe you should find another

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm

I always make sure I get a refund. Even if just for $3. Sometimes this requires making an estimated payment a few weeks before filing. The refund is proof that they got your tax return.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:13 pm

StraightEdge wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 am
When I used to do it by hand when I was single, I would always take it to the post office and do a return receipt or whatever it's called that shows proof I mailed it and also allowed me to receive something in the mail that showed when a physical person at the IRS office received my return. Sorry can't remember the terms though.

+1. I do this when mailing my mom's stuff.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm

I sent mine regular mail. IRS cashed the check about a week later. So, I know they received it.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Certified mail. I believe that the IRS has ruled that if you have the proper records indicating that a return was sent and received via certified mail, it automatically meets the timely filing requirement. I can't quote chapter and verse however.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

misterno wrote:

I generally do it via certified mail with a return receipt. They do send back the return receipt.
Never had a federal or state tax return get lost in 50 years of them. :beer

If you have a refund coming you can check via "where's my refund" https://www.irs.gov/refunds
JW
Retired at Last

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Eventually there will be a transcript; if not, something happened somewhere. Just because they received the paper doesn't mean they still have it or know where it is -- or did anything with it. It took me three years to finalize my 2009 return because they kept losing my file and I had to send them the return plus all copies of the correspondence.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Some but not all years I mail my return from the post office. Often, I need to see if the envelope needs extra postage beyond a single first-class stamp. I almost always owe some money so when I see the check hit my account I know they got the return.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

I've e-filed for several years now, but when I didn't, I would send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Then I would keep the receipt along with my tax return records.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 am
Most people who file by mail just stick a stamp on it and drop it in the mailbox. Is there something special about your return where that’s not good enough?
You haven't actually mailed anything in a while, have you? Stamps haven't been "lickable" since 1974.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:59 pm

In the past, I used certified mail to send to a PO box address because it did not require a recipient to sign for it. But now the post office tells me they do require a signature. (I don't know if the IRS will sign for it or not.) Maybe someone at the post office can tell you. It should be a common question. I think they said for a company, it is just held until someone can sign for it, so it is delayed.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am
misterno wrote:

which forums? maybe you should find another
I always send certificate of mailing and take a photos of it before I give it to the Post office. As it is usually well after tax time that they get to it... and I've had them not actually receive it before... I just mailed it again... with certificate of mailing. I know it was delivered 2 weeks ago.... this year 2017... but so far no status on the IRS site.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Always send it via USPS using the cheapest way and never ask for delivery confirmation. My checks for federal, state, quarterly payments are cashed and when that happens I know that my paperwork was received. As long as there is manual delivery I will continue to feed the taxman paper. Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
~ Your Money, Your Portfolio, Your Decision ~

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 pm

The only time I would worry about proof of mailing is if it was April and I owed a chunk of money. In this case, I have used some form of USPS mail that gives me the cheapest proof of mailing with tracking.

There are usually no repercussions if due a refund, except a few weeks delay. And if I am sending a check in Feb or March, I would have time to send additional funds if the first check was not cashed.

Quite a few years ago, I did get a letter stating that the IRS needed additional information to process my return. This was about 4 months after I had sent it in. The letter requested a 1040 form and all accompanying schedules. In other words, they knew that they had received it but had apparently “lost” it.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
You haven't actually mailed anything in a while, have you? Stamps haven't been "lickable" since 1974.
Where did I say anything about licking?

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm

When I was working for a CPA, he always advised clients to send Certified, Return Receipt requested.

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm

During tax season at the P.O., we had IRS peel and sort parties..... meaning a bunch of us would sort through thousands of trays of mail to get any certified/return receipts that got missed by the machine sorters.
Then we had to remove the green card (return receipt) from the pieces of mail, like thousands upon thousands, to bundle them up to give to whoever the IRS mail was delivered to and they would stamp it “Received by IRS” w/ date of delivery.
Fun times...ha! :) This started in early February through April.... lots of OT, for sure, on a voluntary basis of course.
Personally before TurboTax, I just put on a stamp and sent it off. Never got lost....
And oh yeah, if a letter was short of postage it was sent on anyway, so as not to delay any tax returns! But please don’t do that on purpose....lol.
Tex gal

MarkS

Post by MarkS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm

The IRS has no obligation to accept certified mail and return receipts as proof of filing. I worked for a company that mailed their return with such, but the IRS did not accept it and assessed late payment penalties and interest. After fighting it for about 3 years, the IRS prevailed. It cost the company about $260k plus legal fees and the tax accountant his job.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 am
misterno wrote:

I have never filed electronically.
I have always just folded the forms in half, placed them into a 6x9 envelope, and mailed.
When you have more than 4 pages, the folding in half and placing them into 6 x 9 envelope is very handy.
No certified mail. No return receipt requested. No registered.

I have not had the tax forms been lost in over 30 years. [knock on wood]
You seem determined to keep the USPS and the IRS mailroom and data entry folks working :? By now, I hope the IRS has automated scanners. If it was up to Millennials, we'd all pay our taxes with an app. For the time being, all we have is
IRS2Go offers many features
Refund Status
Check the status of your federal income tax refund using IRS2Go. You can check your refund status within 24 hours after we receive your e-filed return, or about four (4) weeks after mailing your paper return.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs2goapp

BTW, my accountant files electronically, but he bills me via USPS and I send him a physical check back the same way. I've gotten used to doing this as well as pulling out my fax/scanner around tax time. It's about the only time I still use stamps, envelopes, fax, scanner, etc. I'm sure they'll be unnecessary soon, but it's like an annual test.

OT, but I came across some cassette tapes and VHS tapes, but the couple of cassette players no longer worked and I disposed of the VHS long ago. I don't think there was any valuable personal footage on the tapes, so I tossed them all, finally. Next is CD and DVD...

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:58 am

I do it early enough so that the IRS/State has plenty of time to either cash my payment or my return(s) arrive(s) in the checking account.

Simple as that.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm

MarkS wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm
The IRS has no obligation to accept certified mail and return receipts as proof of filing. I worked for a company that mailed their return with such, but the IRS did not accept it and assessed late payment penalties and interest. After fighting it for about 3 years, the IRS prevailed. It cost the company about $260k plus legal fees and the tax accountant his job.
This is a fantastic story! So, the IRS has no obligation to accept a properly completed tax return delivered via the United States Government's own mail system?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm

MarkS wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm
Did the IRS not accept the return or claim they had never received it? I have used certified or return receipts in the past but more often I have just used first class mail. One time my state claimed they didn't receive it by the deadline and I lost that argument.
It occurs to me that a return receipt is only evidence that the receiver received something and not necessarily a tax return. It could have been an envelope with shredded paper in it.
Bob

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Bunch of crazy people here. I do e-file my federal return, but I mail my state since I'm not paying $20 to e-file it. Nothing more than a stamp. As noted, a refund or a cashed check indicates they got it. Haven't had an issue in over 40 years.

afan

Post by afan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Old, but this says that a postmark date or a postmark on the certified receipt is proof of timely filing.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/lanoa/pmta00344_7093.pdf

I have had the IRS receive a return, hold the check for two weeks before cashing it, then claim we filed late. Having a copy of my certified receipt was proof that I had not simply filed late. Eventually the IRS gave up on claiming we owed them money.

Waiting for a refund does nothing. If the IRS claims you submitted your return late, the fact that you are due a refund does not help you. At best, the penalties and interest for late filing will eat into your refund, or eliminate it altogether.

I never have a refund due. That would mean I gave the government an interest free loan. If I am not interested in buying a Treasury security, on which I would get some interest, why in the world would I lend the government money for free?
Last edited by afan on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

afan

Post by afan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

You can also use several private delivery services

https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-deli ... rvices-pds
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:08 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm
Certified mail. I believe that the IRS has ruled that if you have the proper records indicating that a return was sent and received via certified mail, it automatically meets the timely filing requirement. I can't quote chapter and verse however.
afan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm
Old, but this says that a postmark date or a postmark on the certified receipt is proof of timely filing.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/lanoa/pmta00344_7093.pdf
That's it. Thanks afan.

I've also read that the "empty envelope" concern is not an issue, as the IRS would have to prove that what you sent them was "nothing." Good luck with that! It's not really much of an issue anyways, as it is the taxes due and payment dates that matter. As long as you've paid your taxes due by the due date of the return, the only issue would be late filing penalties. A lot of us pay on-line instead of enclosing a check, so the payment date and amount is easily provable (bank statement showing EFT to IRS).
Last edited by FIREchief on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:18 pm

afan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm
Waiting for a refund does nothing. If the IRS claims you submitted your return late, the fact that you are due a refund does not help you. At best, the penalties and interest for late filing will eat into your refund, or eliminate it altogether.

The penalties and interest are calculated as a percentage of the balance due. If there is a zero balance or refund, then penalties and interest are zero.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Wow, there is an unusually high amount of misinformation in this thread.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm
It might help the misinformed if you could tell us what this misinformation was.

spectec

Post by spectec » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:28 pm

"Timely mailing is timely filing". I've always recommended Certified Mail with return receipt if there are big bucks at stake. For small refunds or balance due, first class mail is fine. In more than 30 years I've had a half dozen cases where a stamped certified mail sticker and return receipt came in very handy in proving timely filing . Its the combination that is best, although given the choice of one or the other I want to have the stamped mailing receipt. The return receipt card is just extra evidence to close the loop. In a couple of those cases, several thousand dollars of potential penalties were at stake, so the $6-$7 for the postage was very good insurance for those clients. You could say everyone else wasted their money, but most of us "waste" money on all sorts of insurance and think nothing of it. Don't use private delivery services - US Postal Service is the way to prove timely mailing.

By the way, don't believe the nonsense about IRS claiming they don't recognize the return receipt because they don't know what was in the envelope - that's a silly old tale, even though some tax preparers believe it.
Last edited by spectec on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Econberkeley

Post by Econberkeley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 pm

It is easy to tell if irs received the tax return due to the refund or payment, but what about the forms that are not filed with the tax return and mailed to a PO box? how do i know if IRS received it? are the optional services (certified mail, certificate..) useful when I am sending the tax form to a po box?

spectec

Post by spectec » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Econberkeley wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 pm
It is easy to tell if irs received the tax return due to the refund or payment, but what about the forms that are not filed with the tax return and mailed to a PO box? how do i know if IRS received it? are the optional services (certified mail, certificate..) useful when I am sending the tax form to a po box?
Yes.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

save-early-often

Post by save-early-often » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm

misterno wrote:
Hand it in at a local IRS 'walk in' office.

vnatale

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I have always chosen the cheapest option by buying a Certificate of Mailing. It shows that I sent an envelope to the IRS. They have never not received a tax return I have mailed to them.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:07 am

sport wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm
I sent mine regular mail. IRS cashed the check about a week later. So, I know they received it.
There only seems to be a question if you've already paid exactly what was owed. No refund (because if you receive a refund: proof of receipt), no additional payment (because, as you point out, the fact that the check was cashed is proof). Is the OP concerned about paying taxes online and then mailing the forms? Otherwise the chance of having no refund or payment due is very small.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 am

FIREchief wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm
It might help the misinformed if you could tell us what this misinformation was.
It’s already been corrected above.
* IRS accepts certified mail postmark as proof of timely filing
* there are no penalties for late filing if you are due a refund

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

spectec wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:28 pm
"Timely mailing is timely filing". I've always recommended Certified Mail with return receipt if there are big bucks at stake. For small refunds or balance due, first class mail is fine. In more than 30 years I've had a half dozen cases where a stamped certified mail sticker and return receipt came in very handy in proving timely filing . Its the combination that is best, although given the choice of one or the other I want to have the stamped mailing receipt. The return receipt card is just extra evidence to close the loop. In a couple of those cases, several thousand dollars of potential penalties were at stake, so the $6-$7 for the postage was very good insurance for those clients. You could say everyone else wasted their money, but most of us "waste" money on all sorts of insurance and think nothing of it. Don't use private delivery services - US Postal Service is the way to prove timely mailing.
Sending via certified mail only added $3.45 to the cost of sending my 2017 tax forms. Is a return receipt of any more value than simply printing the on-line USPS record of delivery?

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 am

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc301
When to file
If you're a calendar year filer and your tax year ends on December 31, the due date for filing your federal individual income tax return is generally April 15 of each year. If you use a fiscal year (tax year ending on the last day of any month other than December), your return is due on or before the 15th day of the fourth month after the close of your fiscal year. If your due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is moved to the next business day. For example, April 15, 2018 falls on a Sunday and Emancipation Day in the District of Columbia is Monday, April 16, 2018. So even if you don't live in the District of Columbia, tax year 2017 returns are due on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Your return is considered filed on time if the envelope is properly addressed, has enough postage, is postmarked, and deposited in the mail by the due date.
The return doesn't even have to get there by the deadline, as long as it is postmarked by the due date.

This year I did both federal and state returns manually. Put them in the mail earlier this week, cheapest option was first-class mail. I owed taxes on both but instead of mailing checks I've scheduled electronic debits for April 17. First time attempting this (filing by mail, paying electronically) so hopefully it all works out.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm
spectec wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:28 pm
Sending via certified mail only added $3.45 to the cost of sending my 2017 tax forms. Is a return receipt of any more value than simply printing the on-line USPS record of delivery?
I'd classify my response as a "Belts and Suspenders" preference. I'd rather have they physical Return Receipt card PLUS the on-line USPS record of delivery. In the real world sometimes the green card never makes it back, so it's certainly reassuring to have the on-line record of delivery. I don't recall the reverse ever happening, but anything is possible. In any event, if an issue ever comes up I want to throw the book at them in the way of proof. As in, "We did everything we possibly could in compliance with YOUR requirements." This is one of those situations in which the bare minimum just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned, especially when the marginal cost is another couple of dollars.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

I used to do both. Sometimes the green card didn't come back. Sometimes the online record never showed...........mostly the latter seemed to happen when a private firm took the mailing to send to the real USPS so I only deliver to the real PO now. Now sometimes the online record seems to get "stuck" at the last interim destination w/ no final confirmation of delivery.....I don't know if this the receiver's responsibility (IRS or state equiv). To save 5.50 on fed/state, I just monitor the online activity (no green card).........you can suscribe so that updates are sent to you periodically.....kind of impressed how many e-mails I get showing the various PO locations in various cities the mail travels to and the updated expected delivery times. Mailed Sat..both expected for Monday delivery so need to transfer cash to support the checks.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 pm

I send in my payment voucher via certified mail. I am only interested that I have proof my payment was on time. I will see my check deposited at some point and I will have a record that:1. My payment was mailed on time 2. The payment was received.

I already have submitted my taxes via e-file, and they were accepted.

Ever since so much fraud has been present, I have tried to owe a bit. It is much better than e-filing for a refund that could get messed up and undergo an extended period of time to receive. Plus,

I see no reason to give Uncle Sam an interest-free loan.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm

I just mailed mine today from my local post office. They gave me tracking numbers. I can check the tracking numbers and find out when it arrived at its destination. They, state and federal, were postmarked April 16th.
Slow and steady wins the race.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Just sent to State of MD (what a pain that was!) Notice how they don't like receiving certified mail.

For returns filed without payments, mail your completed return
to:
Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Division
110 Carroll Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21411-0001
Sending your return by certified mail will not result in special
handling and may delay your refund.

Constant Chaos

Post by Constant Chaos » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Where did I say anything about licking?
I didn't see where you said anything about licking either, and in any case lickable stamps were certainly not phased out by 1974.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/18/us/p ... tamps.html :confused

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm
I just mailed mine today from my local post office. They gave me tracking numbers. I can check the tracking numbers and find out when it arrived at its destination. They, state and federal, were postmarked April 16th.
Perhaps you may have as I have quite often that you do not get a final delivery notice. The letter seems to get stuck at the last branch PO w/o final delivery. You can ask the PO to check. Often they find delivery confirmed in their internal system but not in the customer tracking system. I am trying to understand the missing step......human error or a poorly designed system.