Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm

My BIL is recently divorced, and his only will was from when he was married. Not the direction he wants now. The divorce is final, no minor children, All marital accounts have been settled, QDRO account proceeds safely in his TIRA.

He is getting things ready to get a new will drawn up, and was wondering about the various accounts he holds.

I told him that the beneficiary of his 401k and IRAs would follow his direction for the accounts. It seems to me from what I have read the account stated beneficiary overrides any beneficiary via a will.

I have questions I would appreciate the forum's wisdom in answering for his situation:

!. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters. Hopefully my understanding is correct.

2. What other assets can be passed via account beneficiary rather than will, such as taxable brokerage accounts, checking accounts, money market accounts, life insurance, etc.? I believe many of them, if not all, can be passed via TOD selection, but I am unsure.

Other than the financial accounts, his condo and vehicle, and personal property are the only things left, it would seem, if the items identified above can be passed via account beneficiary selections.

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Silk McCue
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
!. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters. Hopefully my understanding is correct.

I live in Florida and am unaware of anything in a Will that would override these beneficiary designations. People are actually warned that the Will won't take precedence.

2. What other assets can be passed via account beneficiary rather than will, such as taxable brokerage accounts, checking accounts, money market accounts, life insurance, etc.? I believe many of them, if not all, can be passed via TOD selection, but I am unsure.

A taxable brokerage account should support a survivor designation. That can be verified easily. Checking accounts and Money Markets may have different rules depending upon the bank can tell you. I was added to my mothers checking account to avoid any issues when she passes (84 and going strong). Life Insurance clearly has beneficiaries.

Other than the financial accounts, his condo and vehicle, and personal property are the only things left, it would seem, if the items identified above can be passed via account beneficiary selections.

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
Cheers

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by HueyLD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

As to real estate and vehicles, many states allow TOD deed/title. You will need to check the FL state law for such items.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2741
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by FIREchief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:25 pm

In many states, the condo and vehicle can also be passed via beneficiary deed and similar documents.

You may wish to suggest to your BIL that he immediately invalidate the existing will. Better to have no will than one that leaves your assets to somebody you don't wish to receive them. I checked years ago in my state, and there are laws on how to invalidate a will. I believe it is as simple as drawing a line through each page of the will and writing "invalid" or "cancelled" or somthing similar on page one, and then signing and dating. Even if the ex had a copy, the heirs could challenge it. This will cover him and allow time to properly draft a replacement.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1239
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Florida is one of three states that allow Lady Bird deeds (the other are Michigan and Texas), where the property can be left to heirs and avoid probate. Have the lawyer do a new deed, done deal.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18907
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:45 pm

To make your will deterine beneficiar(ies), make the beneficiary the estate of xxx

Not that matters such as this might be governed by the final divorce and/or property settlement.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:45 pm
To make your will deterine beneficiar(ies), make the beneficiary the estate of xxx

Not that matters such as this might be governed by the final divorce and/or property settlement.
It is definitely much easier and cheaper to change the beneficiaries within the accounts than in the will and it is more expensive and time consuming to do so upon your death.

Cheers

vaught
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by vaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:45 pm
To make your will deterine beneficiar(ies), make the beneficiary the estate of xxx

Not that matters such as this might be governed by the final divorce and/or property settlement.
That would make those assets subject to any creditors' claims against the deceased's estate. It would also tie up all of those assets while the estate was handled. Much better to have a POD/TOD and have ownership transfer to the beneficiary immediately.

mptfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by mptfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
1. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters.
No.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9168
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm
Florida is one of three states that allow Lady Bird deeds (the other are Michigan and Texas), where the property can be left to heirs and avoid probate. Have the lawyer do a new deed, done deal.
A Lady Bird deed can achieve some of the goals of a beneficiary/TOD deed, but it is much more restrictive. Think of it as more similar to an irrevocable Medicaid trust.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18907
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 am

mptfan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
1. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters.
No.
The beneficiary (if a natural person) would need to be living at the time of death of the owner.

gretah
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by gretah » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 am

Read the book "8 Ways to Avoid Probate" published by Nolo press. www.Nolo.com

Many libraries have it.

Read it before writing the new will. It's well-written and a quick read.

Transfer on Death (TOD) and lots of other tools are discussed.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2741
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by FIREchief » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 am
mptfan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
1. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters.
No.
The beneficiary (if a natural person) would need to be living at the time of death of the owner.
Do you still think this is the case if the IRA beneficiary designation includes a "per stirpes" stipulation?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18907
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 am
mptfan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
1. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters.
No.
The beneficiary (if a natural person) would need to be living at the time of death of the owner.
Do you still think this is the case if the IRA beneficiary designation includes a "per stirpes" stipulation?
No, but I don't know how common the per stirpes designation is allowed.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 2741
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by FIREchief » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 am
mptfan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm
1. Are there any conditions that would have an account (401K, TIRA, and Roth IRA) beneficiary overridden by a will? State is Florida, if it matters.
No.
The beneficiary (if a natural person) would need to be living at the time of death of the owner.
Do you still think this is the case if the IRA beneficiary designation includes a "per stirpes" stipulation?
No, but I don't know how common the per stirpes designation is allowed.
Fidelity's on line beneficiary system allows it.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

denovo
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by denovo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:44 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm
As to real estate and vehicles, many states allow TOD deed/title. You will need to check the FL state law for such items.
+1
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the great information!

I have gone through all his retirement accounts (I have agent access) and there are no issues.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a copy of the will. He went by the lawyer's office Friday and they were no longer at the address, hasn't located the firm yet. The will was drawn up when they adopted a child very early after her birth. She is now is in her late-twenties. Not sure if ex-wife would give him a copy.

At any rate he should be in good shape until he is able to get a simple will completed. Vast bulk of his assets are protected, but, I will emphasize to him that he needs to get things wrapped up with a new will. Better to be 100% than 90%!

I am wondering if the subject of the will came up during the divorce. Seems with all the stories about ex-spouses getting retirement funds via account beneficiaries after thinking new will was sufficient, lawyers would look to see what was what, including wills. But, never having gone thru a divorce, I have no idea what all is discussed. Never want to know, either!

Wife and I grew up together, and are growing old together. This year married 47 years! Wife says she doesn't want to train a new husband, too much work.:happy

Again, thanks for the info!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

bsteiner
Posts: 3596
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 pm
Location: NYC/NJ/FL

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by bsteiner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 pm

If his Will is 25 years old, it probably no longer reflects his current wishes or current law. He might want to change the executors and the trustees for his daughter. His Will wouldn't have the current provisions for the trust for his daughter that will receive his retirement benefits since the current requirements weren't clear until 2002 (and before 1987 it wasn't clear that you could leave retirement benefits in trust).

In most states, divorce automatically revokes the provisions in the Will for the former spouse.

He should sign a new Will.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Account benificiary vs will beneficiary....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 pm
If his Will is 25 years old, it probably no longer reflects his current wishes or current law. He might want to change the executors and the trustees for his daughter. His Will wouldn't have the current provisions for the trust for his daughter that will receive his retirement benefits since the current requirements weren't clear until 2002 (and before 1987 it wasn't clear that you could leave retirement benefits in trust).

In most states, divorce automatically revokes the provisions in the Will for the former spouse.

He should sign a new Will.
Thank you for the info. He is motivated currently to get a new will, so hopefully he will move forward. I'll be talking to him in a few days to share what I have learned and see where he wants to go with the new options.

Thanks again!

Broken Man 1999

Edited to add: Looks like Florida is a state that revokes the provisions in the will for a former spouse. I'll have to carefully read Florida Statues Section 732.507, but it looks promising.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Post Reply