Meb Faber/Cambria/Trinity Funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Gemini

Meb Faber/Cambria/Trinity Funds

Post by Gemini »

I have been listening to Meb's podcast and it is a good one.

Has anyone from here invested with Cambria? I checked the website and there is 0% management fee to invest into the Trinity funds, which are rated 1-6 from least to most aggressive, with a $100K minimum. I believe you pay per fund though, although not sure. They also have some ETFs.

Any thoughts on this investing strategy?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Meb Faber/Cambria/Trinity Funds

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I enjoy Meb's podcast.

It seems the expense ratios are a bit higher than I'd like to pay (between .47% and .82% mostly) and I don't do trend following. I like Vanguard. Funds are well diversified and much cheaper. Nothing against Meb.

source:
https://www.cambriainvestments.com/trinity-portfolio/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
anoop

Post by anoop »

Too complicated for me.

If I were interested in trend following I would build a portofolio with 5 funds and use the signals published by dshort.com at the end of every month.

But even that is too much for me. So I’m only in money market and individual treasuries. :)
fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj »

I too enjoy his podcast. I have considered buying a small position in global value (GVAL). The share holder yield series also looks interesting and as far as I know no one else has anything similar. They are all kinda expensive (but not terrible for semi active strats) though perhaps that will change if they get more assets at some point.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I'm a trend follower, and I do like Mebane's podcast and his work. The specific strategy I use is noted here. With it, you are long on equities unless (1) the unemployment rate is above its 12 month moving average AND (2) equities are trading below the 200 day moving average (I use the 140 day moving average because it responds more quickly). The logic here is that when the UER is above its 12 month moving average, there is a strong likelihood of a recession, and when stock prices are also in a downward trend, there is an even stronger likelihood of a bear market around the corner.

This is very much biased toward a long position in equities but has historically avoided the biggest drawdowns and bear markets while significantly improving returns. Reducing downside risk is my primary goal here though.
The Sensible Steward
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm I'm a trend follower, and I do like Mebane's podcast and his work. The specific strategy I use is noted here. With it, you are long on equities unless (1) the unemployment rate is above its 12 month moving average AND (2) equities are trading below the 200 day moving average (I use the 140 day moving average because it responds more quickly). The logic here is that when the UER is above its 12 month moving average, there is a strong likelihood of a recession, and when stock prices are also in a downward trend, there is an even stronger likelihood of a bear market around the corner.

This is very much biased toward a long position in equities but has historically avoided the biggest drawdowns and bear markets while significantly improving returns. Reducing downside risk is my primary goal here though.
Are you going out of all equities (read: intl, EM, too) when the signal shows up?
In an article you linked earlier from the same website they said that the US signal works for US equities, but Intl signals do not work for Intl equities, but US signals do.
MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom »

Gemini wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm I have been listening to Meb's podcast and it is a good one.

Has anyone from here invested with Cambria? I checked the website and there is 0% management fee to invest into the Trinity funds, which are rated 1-6 from least to most aggressive, with a $100K minimum. I believe you pay per fund though, although not sure. They also have some ETFs.

As a quant tourist (at best,) I love Mebs podcasts. He has a gifted way of explaining the complex in a fashion that tourists can follow.
I've learned a lot listening to these on my hour long walks....
I have not invested with him.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

hilink73 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm I'm a trend follower, and I do like Mebane's podcast and his work. The specific strategy I use is noted here. With it, you are long on equities unless (1) the unemployment rate is above its 12 month moving average AND (2) equities are trading below the 200 day moving average (I use the 140 day moving average because it responds more quickly). The logic here is that when the UER is above its 12 month moving average, there is a strong likelihood of a recession, and when stock prices are also in a downward trend, there is an even stronger likelihood of a bear market around the corner.

Are you going out of all equities (read: intl, EM, too) when the signal shows up?
In an article you linked earlier from the same website they said that the US signal works for US equities, but Intl signals do not work for Intl equities, but US signals do.
Yes, I move completely out of all equities, including all international, when the above decision rules indicate to do so.
The Sensible Steward
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Yes, I move completely out of all equities, including all international, when the above decision rules indicate to do so.
Thanks, WT81.
I'm still wondering if these indicators are really feasible for a European investor.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

hilink73 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks, WT81.
I'm still wondering if these indicators are really feasible for a European investor.
If you mean feasible to be "easily accomplished," then certainly yes.

If you mean feasible to be "will work as well in the future as in the past," then that is unknowable.
The Sensible Steward
azanon

Post by azanon »

Gemini wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm I have been listening to Meb's podcast and it is a good one.

Trinity fund actual costs range from 0.47% to 0.82% (source: cambriainvestments.com), and that's not counting the additional 0.15% fee that Betterment charges to use their platform.

IMO, Meb only has one viable ETF that is potentially boglehead approved, which is their ETF, Global Asset Allocation (ticker GAA), for an ER of 0.25%. I personally like the ETF Global Value (GVAL), but he wants a whopping 0.68% for it, which is too rich for me and probably most bogleheads.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

I believe that Meb Faber is highly intelligent, very honest, very knowledgeable, and that his etfs are solidly built on existing backtesting research. The question is: does that reliably equate to improved returns for investors after costs going forward? Thus far in the short lifespan of Meb's funds, the answer has been no. SYLD, Meb's US all cap fund with a strong value slant and a moderate small slant has underperformed TSM since its inception. Likewise GVAL, his international all cap with a strong slant to small and value has underperformed VXUS since its inception. Both however have short lifespans thus far: 4 years for GVAL and 5 years for SYLD, bad years for the both value and small. If you're a strong believer in factors, it seems to me that these are reasonable options. Personally I am a bit skeptical about backtesting research in general and about whether factors will outperform going forward after costs. On the other hand, small and value have underperformed for so long now that, as factors go, they're attractively priced at present relative to the others. If S and V factor returns come roaring back, Meb's funds will outperform. Perhaps this will happen in the future, perhaps not. I'm on the sidelines at present.

Garland Whizzer
david1082b

Post by david1082b »

garlandwhizzer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm SYLD, Meb's US all cap fund with a strong value slant and a moderate small slant has underperformed TSM since its inception.
The latest numbers seem to show a tiny outperformance for SYLD versus Total Stock Market funds http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fun ... A%5B%5D%7D

M* classifies SYLD as "mid-cap value". The mid-400 value ETF MDYV has underperformed SYLD http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fun ... A%5B%5D%7D
azanon

Post by azanon »

garlandwhizzer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm I believe that Meb Faber is highly intelligent, very honest, very knowledgeable, and that his etfs are solidly built on existing backtesting research. The question is: does that reliably equate to improved returns for investors after costs going forward? Thus far in the short lifespan of Meb's funds, the answer has been no. SYLD, Meb's US all cap fund with a strong value slant and a moderate small slant has underperformed TSM since its inception. Likewise GVAL, his international all cap with a strong slant to small and value has underperformed VXUS since its inception. Both however have short lifespans thus far: 4 years for GVAL and 5 years for SYLD, bad years for the both value and small. If you're a strong believer in factors, it seems to me that these are reasonable options. Personally I am a bit skeptical about backtesting research in general and about whether factors will outperform going forward after costs. On the other hand, small and value have underperformed for so long now that, as factors go, they're attractively priced at present relative to the others. If S and V factor returns come roaring back, Meb's funds will outperform. Perhaps this will happen in the future, perhaps not. I'm on the sidelines at present.

Garland Whizzer
One correction I'd make here is to point out that GVAL makes no attempt to invest in small caps, or its strategy doesn't involve that. It ends up shaking out in the mid-cap category, but he's probably forced to buy some smaller stocks because some of the countries making the "bottom 10" on valuations, don't really have any large cap companies. His intra-company screens though screen for value, not size. And going on memory, I think the only size screen he sets is actually a minimum market cap size, not a maximum.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Does the orange line look to you like an elephant in the living room?

Mebane Faber attempted to put into action his much-downloaded paper and his much-lauded tactical asset allocation strategy, in the form of an ETF with the ticker symbol GTAA, for Global Tactical Asset Allocation.

The chart above is the comparative performance of GTAA (orange line) and the plain vanilla traditional Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth fund, VSCGX (blue line), during the period when Faber was managing the fund.* VSGCX is about 40% stock, and has international exposure in stocks. It's broadly comparable to GTAA without tactics or exotic asset classes.

Because GTAA is dead I can't look at it in PortfolioVisualizer but it looks obvious to the eye that it experienced roughly comparable volatility to the traditional fund, while earning only about 1/4th the return.

When the ETF was first discussed in this forum, member "Stratton" said "I'm going to love this. No more backtesting. It's all about running real money going forward."

This has got to be relevant in judging Faber's ability to translate his plausible-sounding and impressively-backtested into actual results "running real money going forward." Fans of Mebane Faber have explained it away in various ways--the one I like is that "he didn't actually manage the fund according to his own strategy." But what happened to GTAA is a fact, and it is a fact that needs to be taken into account in evaluating his strategies.

*Faber left GTAA in 2014 and for a while it was managed by a firm named Morgan Creek, with even more disappointing results. The ETF closed and ceased trading on 5/12/17.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

azanon wrote;
One correction I'd make here is to point out that GVAL makes no attempt to invest in small caps, or its strategy doesn't involve that. It ends up shaking out in the mid-cap category, but he's probably forced to buy some smaller stocks because some of the countries making the "bottom 10" on valuations, don't really have any large cap companies. His intra-company screens though screen for value, not size. And going on memory, I think the only size screen he sets is actually a minimum market cap size, not a maximum.
Good point. GVAL is mostly mid-cap and doesn't strongly target the size factor. It does however have 20.45% SC and 4.87% MC which does provide some exposure to the size factor. On the other hand, VXUS is a mega-cap/LC dominated fund with only 4.86% SC and O.45% SC (numbers from Morningstar). Both offer diversified international equity exposure but GVAL, clearly has a strong value slant and more exposure to small/mid caps relative to VXUS. VXUS is derived from a cap weight index while GVAL uses a factor approach--value and to a lesser extent size with a negative MOM screen. The difference is a matter of degree when it comes to the small factor. The theoretical backing for GVAL is strong, but in its short lifetime that has not translated into improved investing results.

Garland Whizzer
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

What does the unemployment rate in the US tell us about the forward looking EM/international stock market performance?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

marcopolo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

What does the unemployment rate in the US tell us about the forward looking EM/international stock market performance?
Read the article I linked to above to find out. Incredibly, the UER in the U.S. has had a significantly bigger impact on EM stock, for instance, than their own economies.
The Sensible Steward
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Read the article I linked to above to find out. Incredibly, the UER in the U.S. has had a significantly bigger impact on EM stock, for instance, than their own economies.
I wonder how well that will hold up as the EM develop their own economies and become less dependent on US imports for their revenues?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

marcopolo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:32 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I wonder how well that will hold up as the EM develop their own economies and become less dependent on US imports for their revenues?
I don't know. I don't try to forecast the future. But to the extent that the future looks like the past, it will take a long time before that truly happens. The above statement has applied equally to developed European nations as well as EM. For better or worse, global stocks are largely impacted by the USA. Look at the 2008-2009 debacle.
The Sensible Steward
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

garlandwhizzer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm I believe that Meb Faber is highly intelligent, very honest, very knowledgeable, and that his etfs are solidly built on existing backtesting research. The question is: does that reliably equate to improved returns for investors after costs going forward?
Garland Whizzer
Considering his greatest entry into fame was is his GTAA fund following his famed "Ivy Portfolio" crashed and burned AND was eliminated from existence I would say he is a failure. No offense to him, but most are. Guess what he will do when his trinity funds do poorly? He will make them disappear as well, come up with another snazzy name for his next lineup of funds, and peddle them to a new unsuspecting group of investors.

To think about it, I am not sure if you can say he is "honest" when you know the above and his website does not discuss this at all.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

When you evaluate a strategy known to be prone to underperform for years at a time on a scale of a few years, I don't really think the relative outcome can be considered reliably indicative of much of anything. The data is consistent with a wide range of performance levels. Based on fund results we can have a decently high confidence in an evaluation of "not demonstrably superior in every given year" but nobody was actually expecting that to begin with, were they? That's what was already clear in the backtest in the 2006 paper.

His recent paper does say
Though the timing system outperformed by a significant amount during the 2008–2009 bear market, it went on to underperform stocks six of the next eight years. Many investors who had implemented the timing model after the crash likely struggled with staying the course with a tactical approach.
I'm not really a fan of his work or approach here with GTAA or now GMOM but haven't studied all the details; regardless, many evaluations are a bit premature if anything. On this kind of timescale what I want to know is tracking error relative to what it wanted to accomplish and what the actual costs are. Some of the underlying ETFs are not particularly that liquid. Same for the Trinity allocations generally. The costs are mid-high and they're trading relatively small ETFs in addition to the larger names, many with not-the-most-liquid underlying securities.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

lack_ey wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm When you evaluate a strategy known to be prone to underperform for years at a time on a scale of a few years, I don't really think the relative outcome can be considered reliably indicative of much of anything. The data is consistent with a wide range of performance levels. Based on fund results we can have a decently high confidence in an evaluation of "not demonstrably superior in every given year" but nobody was actually expecting that to begin with, were they? That's what was already clear in the backtest in the 2006 paper.

His recent paper does say
Though the timing system outperformed by a significant amount during the 2008–2009 bear market, it went on to underperform stocks six of the next eight years. Many investors who had implemented the timing model after the crash likely struggled with staying the course with a tactical approach.
Precisely. There have been many historic periods where buy-and-hold would have trounced trend following and vice versa. The problem with either approach is for investors to stick with their chosen strategy, knowing that there are very likely to be times when your strategy lags the other.
The Sensible Steward
220volt

Post by 220volt »

How old is Meb Faber? I have tried to find it everywhere with no success. I also listen to his podcast, and I don't know why but I tend to stick with an older crowd for meaningful long-term market advice. Meb sounds very young to me, in his mid 30's maybe.
"If I had only followed the advice of financial analysts in 2008, I'd have a million dollars today, provided I started with a hundred million dollars" - Jon Stewart
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

220volt wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm How old is Meb Faber? I have tried to find it everywhere with no success. I also listen to his podcast, and I don't know why but I tend to stick with an older crowd for meaningful long-term market advice. Meb sounds very young to me, in his mid 30's maybe.
He's 40 +- 1 according to this.
http://www.investmentnews.com/section/4 ... /Meb-Faber

Paul Merriman is a strong advocate of the value factor and trend following strategies. He's 74 IIRC. Just curious, why would you only consider the advice of old people meaningful?
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm
220volt wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm How old is Meb Faber? I have tried to find it everywhere with no success. I also listen to his podcast, and I don't know why but I tend to stick with an older crowd for meaningful long-term market advice. Meb sounds very young to me, in his mid 30's maybe.
He's 40 +- 1 according to this.
http://www.investmentnews.com/section/4 ... /Meb-Faber

Paul Merriman is a strong advocate of the value factor and trend following strategies. He's 74 IIRC. Just curious, why would you only consider the advice of old people meaningful?
Larry Swedroe advocates small and value tilts and has now come onboard with trend following as well, which is mostly what Meb advocates.
The Sensible Steward
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

I wouldn't invest in anything Cambria [about 20% of me says it is a scam - 'scam' in the sense that they offer a product that nobody needs, and it's the kind of business where the owner gets to live & do what they want in life and the customers get reasonable returns without any drama].

I do think GVAL is sort of interesting, but I would rather just invest in an MSCI/FTSE Global All-Cap Value ETF for 20 bps and call it good.

Sometimes his podcast is entertaining, but I listen to it for his guests and not what he says - although I agree with many things that he says.