Too much Bogleheads.org?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 7483
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:16 pm

If enough is good, too much must be better.
PJW

GoldenFinch
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:16 pm
If enough is good, too much must be better.
PJW
I think this sentence pretty much sums it up.

2cents2
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by 2cents2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
I think this is normal. The quality of information found here is top notch. I enjoy reading about topics that I don't know much about. There are so many contributors that I feel are like rock stars when it comes to the depth of knowledge they have on a particular subject. There are several areas that I have learned a lot from reading discussions on this board.

One area in which I have learned a lot is taxes. I now keep an excel spread sheet throughout the year that tracks taxable events and I compare my results with what turbo tax comes up with at tax time. This has helped me a lot in terms of tax planning. It has also given me more confidence. It has resulted in spin off spread sheets such as the one where I have calculated planned Roth conversions for the next few years.

I also did a spreadsheet in accordance with the "Asking a Portfolio Question" format found here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 After I had put all the data in my spreadsheet, I found that I could answer my own questions. :oops: I continue to update it as it serves as a good overview. It also keeps me mindful of my overall expense ratio on my portfolio (which is another thing I track on the spreadsheet).

I also did another spin off spreadsheet titled Composition and Value of Estate listing separate and jointly owned property (and life insurance) which I continue to update (I print out a copy of it in every year and put it with our estate papers).

Anyway, you may have noted a theme here (spread sheets :happy ). I think initially figuring out stuff and putting it into spread sheet form takes me a bit of time. But, maintaining takes a bit less time.

Iowa David
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Iowa David » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I appreciate all of the sage input - it’s reassuring to know that folks have gone (or going) through a similar process.
Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds
I love this - thanks Rick! I think this could be woven into a getting started section.
White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm
After almost a decade and a half on this site and its predecessor, I know where you're coming from.

If you're like most, you'll realize there is no benefit to being on here every day after the first year and you'll go do something else. If you're like a few of us, you'll transition to helping others rather than trying to learn yourself.
Thanks White Coat - my goal is to get to the point where I can pass it forward, but there’s still a lot to learn until then.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4329
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by dratkinson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 pm

I use to suffer from information overload and worried that I’d miss something. But I found a cure. I taught Excel to do my worrying for me.



I’ve learned that I can’t handle pure theory, I need simple action steps. If a BH theory can’t be converted into simple action steps then I can’t use it.

Example. What does the federal funds rate and an inverse yield curve signal about my equity allocation? Or the direction of the market? Or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? <crickets>

Bottom line. To stop information overload and worrying:
--With no simple action steps, then I ignore issues of pure theory.
--With simple action steps, then I code a test (or marco) into Excel to check for the condition.

Throw in a little Excel (1) conditional formatting to draw my attention to conditions that need my action (AA rebalance needed, TLH opportunity, RBD determination---eventually figured it out :) ,…), and (2) its required simple action step as notes in cell comments to remind me of my necessary actions for each condition,… and I stopped worrying that I’d miss something.



Today, I may spend 5 minutes downloading new price data, but Excel double-checks everything I need to do/remember from 1 Jan to 31 Dec.



Now with more time and much less to worry about, I’ve even found it interesting to read books about history---investing and other, never liked history in HS---and work on home projects.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

MJW
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by MJW » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:56 pm

*shrug*

It's something to do.

I just do my best to separate my interest in learning about investing and my practice of it. The former is the hobby while the latter is a means to an end....if that makes sense.

User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4492
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by House Blend » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:16 pm
If enough is good, too much must be better.
PJW
I think this sentence pretty much sums it up.
"Too much ain't enough." --Tom Petty.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3695
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 pm

steve roy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm
I’m reading “Pride and Prejudice “. Nice counter-balance to Bogleheads.org.
It's a different book (Sense & Sensibility rather than Pride and Prejudice), but I can't help sharing a favorite Jane Austen quote on matters financial: "People always live for ever when there's an annuity to be paid them."

source: http://www.mollands.net/etexts/senseand ... /sns2.html

Image
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 3209
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 pm
It's a different book (Sense & Sensibility rather than Pride and Prejudice), but I can't help sharing a favorite Jane Austen quote on matters financial: "People always lives for ever when there's an annuity to be paid them."

source: http://www.mollands.net/etexts/senseand ... /sns2.html
And Voltaire once said:
I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

student
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by student » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm

I think I spend at least an hour (on average) a day on this site.

Maverick3320
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Maverick3320 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am

JBTX wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:24 pm
I kind of get where you are coming from. I’ve been here not quite a year and have spent far more time here than i ever would have guessed. I am a bit obsessive about message boards and this has become my obsession vs sports or political forums in the past. At least in the process I am learning something useful.

The board has been useful in kind of getting us back on track spending wise, although we still have a ways to go.
2900+ posts in less than a year? That has to be some sort of record!

JBTX
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 am

Maverick3320 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am
JBTX wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:24 pm
I kind of get where you are coming from. I’ve been here not quite a year and have spent far more time here than i ever would have guessed. I am a bit obsessive about message boards and this has become my obsession vs sports or political forums in the past. At least in the process I am learning something useful.

The board has been useful in kind of getting us back on track spending wise, although we still have a ways to go.
2900+ posts in less than a year? That has to be some sort of record!
:sharebeer

ThriftyPhD
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by ThriftyPhD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:09 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm
If you're like a few of us, you'll transition to helping others rather than trying to learn yourself.
See one do one teach one :beer

I've always found that the best way to make sure I understand something is to try to explain it to someone who doesn't understand it. Nothing like tutoring or teaching a class to really cement your understanding of the material. As I've read and learned here, I try to respond to threads both to pay it forward by helping someone else and to reinforce my own understanding.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3319
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Perhaps a related syndrome... until recently I "peeked" way too much at my holdings. I also looked sometimes two or three times a day at my checking and credit card accounts. I can't explain the compulsion, it was just there.

Now it's not.

In fact, just the other day, I realized that DW's payday had come and gone, a day when I typically sit down and pay monthly bills. It had slipped completely by me, and further, I didn't even care. Everything is on autopilot, so why bother even looking?

It felt great.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

carofe
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by carofe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm

oldzey wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 pm
Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
An excellent description of the phases, Rick!

+1
Nailed it! It was actually like that for me. I went from having lots of index funds and reading a lot about it, until I settled with two funds and left it alone :D
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.

RadAudit
Posts: 3027
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by RadAudit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 pm
"People always live for ever when there's an annuity to be paid them."
So, that's why so many folks on this site recommend annuities!!! :wink:
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

PFInterest
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by PFInterest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
yup. once you get the hang of it then its fun to pay it back.

azanon
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by azanon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am

Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
And for some, there's a 5th stage of further simplicity; Just buy one, low-cost, globally diversified balanced fund and just don't bother with it at all, including rebalancing, because that's being done for you. Probably 90% of the people I work with (not in the finance industry) would find managing a few total market funds anything but simple. Family members I've helped with this, I always ended up recommending a balanced fund, because I hardly had to fire a neuron to realize anything more than one fund would be too complex for them.

2pedals
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by 2pedals » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:27 am

Set your limits and keep track of them with something like this

Mind the time add-on

jpdion
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by jpdion » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm

"Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good." I try to keep that in mind when dealing with most decisions, big and small. I try to avoid diminishing returns on the use of my time and try to understand when I know "enough" to make a decision. I use this forum to occasionally ask a question when I am uncertain - there are many, many folks here who are knowledgeable and have experience to draw upon. Every once and a while I will comment if I think it might be useful. But, my visits here average probably 2 hours a week in total, which is okay for my interests.

User avatar
Rick Ferri
Posts: 8534
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:40 am
Location: Georgetown, TX. Twitter: @Rick_Ferri
Contact:

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Rick Ferri » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 pm

azanon wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am
Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
And for some, there's a 5th stage of further simplicity; Just buy one, low-cost, globally diversified balanced fund and just don't bother with it at all, including rebalancing, because that's being done for you. Probably 90% of the people I work with (not in the finance industry) would find managing a few total market funds anything but simple. Family members I've helped with this, I always ended up recommending a balanced fund, because I hardly had to fire a neuron to realize anything more than one fund would be too complex for them.
A low-cost globally diversified balanced fund is a strategy for simplicity and a good #4 solution. It’s not another stage. Don’t complicate things! :D

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

3funder
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by 3funder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
Me too. I love this forum, though. For now, I'll consider it a healthy addiction; although as an English teacher I realize this might be an oxymoron.

3funder
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by 3funder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 pm
OP, don't worry, it will get worse :twisted:
Haha

windaar
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:31 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by windaar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm

I check in once in a while. But, “stay the course” and “set and forget” gives a liberation from checking the DOJ and even BH on a regular basis. Figure out your risk tolerance and asset allocations, and then go fishing!

Easy Rhino
Posts: 3267
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Easy Rhino » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 pm

I was super duper active and thinking when I first joined. Two, actually 3, things have reduced the time I spend here.

1) Getting my portfolio and plan to a relatively set it and forget it phase.
2) Not having had a financial crisis for a while (knock wood)
3) Getting married and having a couple of kids I have to chase around all the time.

The last one was the biggest :)

protagonist
Posts: 5388
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
Finance is way less important than family and friends.

You imply that the site is having a negative impact on your life and that you may be too obsessed. I am not one to judge. You may be getting addicted to the site, the way people get addicted to social media. I would humbly suggest that you do some soul searching, and if you feel this is the case, maybe you need to deal with it....even if it means going cold turkey.

As you have probably figured out, intelligent finance is simple, and you probably have enough info by now to proceed intelligently.

User avatar
randomizer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by randomizer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 pm

I come here too much.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

bloom2708
Posts: 4797
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 am

mega317 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm
rec7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 am
I spend 30 minutes a day on Bogleheads and enjoy it. If I felt it was a problem I would limit it to an hour.
This is a very good post.
+1

I spend time here to TRY to help others get to step 4. It is difficult at times to give advice to help people move through the stages. They have to move through the steps at their own pace. Explore the tilts, factors, high yield, dividend strategies and the like.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

JBTX
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by JBTX » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm
Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
Finance is way less important than family and friends.

You imply that the site is having a negative impact on your life and that you may be too obsessed. I am not one to judge. You may be getting addicted to the site, the way people get addicted to social media. I would humbly suggest that you do some soul searching, and if you feel this is the case, maybe you need to deal with it....even if it means going cold turkey.

As you have probably figured out, intelligent finance is simple, and you probably have enough info by now to proceed intelligently.
I thought the OP's post and question was very insightful. It doesn't seem uncommon that once you engross yourself in something, it kind of sticks with you off and on all the time. Finding balance is often easier said than done.

Message boards, like any other form of social media, can be very addicting.

I find it hard to find a balance in terms of personal spending. I've gone through periods where I have a frugal mindset, but it also causes me to be cheap. You find it annoying every time you go to Taco Bell and they ask for a $1 donation. You start nickel and diming insignificant items. Then you loosen up, and over many years you find you are freely spending and wasting money all over the place.

BogleBoogie
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am
Location: AK

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by BogleBoogie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am
A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
+1 - This is a great way to break it down. I'm at 3 1/2 right now. I, like you, spent a lot of time on this site trying to consume all the information I could. The more I've learned, the more I've realized there is really less for me to do. If anything, I've gone to 4 and started to slide backwards trying to "optimize" which isn't efficient. Sometimes stopping by the forum reinforces staying in 4 for and not going backwards. :sharebeer

User avatar
Que1999
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Que1999 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:06 pm

I love the Bogleheads forums!!

This forum satisfies my financial addictions(because yes, I'm obsessed with finances it seems....)

But it is also a wealth of incredibly valuable information from many very smart people. Anything, financial or otherwise, that I'm looking for input on I can find here.

I don't know where I'd be without this forum. :beer

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18559
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 pm

The Bogleheads Forum is not just a place to come, learn, and leave. For many of us, it's a community. We know a little about other people's lives, congratulate them on their milestones and feel sorry about their setbacks. We don't discuss just finance, but also mundane issues such as Costco shopping and cellular providers. We don't come here just to ask, but also to respond to questions to the extend of our expertise.

It is natural to spend more time in a community than at a targeted source of information.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4902
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by stemikger » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:51 pm

I can relate. I too have become obsessed for the last 20 years. I kind of put myself in my own self-inflicted prison and lost interest on other things because this obsession became all I wanted to talk about or read about.

All I can say is too much of a good thing is well. . . not good. Once you get a plan in place, the best thing that can happen to you is that you don't even think about investing. I am trying to do this, but it is a struggle. The problem with coming here too often is you may read something that makes sense and you start second guessing your plan (if it is different). I did this with my asset allocation and it kind of worked out (pure luck), but going forward I would be much better off if I never came here again and I don't open my retirement statements until the day I retire.

Good Luck, once you get the bug, it may always be a struggle.
Last edited by stemikger on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

averagedude
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by averagedude » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:23 pm

All it takes is a bear market, and your portfolio going down 30 percent or more, and you won't be quite as obsessed with investing.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48040
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 pm

The Philly area just got hit with some thunderstorms and my power got knocked out.

What's the first thing I did? Setup my laptop and cellphone tether to login to the forum.

I'll get the generator going shortly...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

delamer
Posts: 6138
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by delamer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 pm

averagedude wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:23 pm
All it takes is a bear market, and your portfolio going down 30 percent or more, and you won't be quite as obsessed with investing.
I don’t know about that.

You get to worry more about finances then.

User avatar
KSOC
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by KSOC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 pm
The Philly area just got hit with some thunderstorms and my power got knocked out.

What's the first thing I did? Setup my laptop and cellphone tether to login to the forum.

I'll get the generator going shortly...
My daughter is on a train to Philly and that storm knocked out the trains power. They got going again now they are stopped near Paoli due to a tree has fallen across the tracks.
Too soon old, too late smart.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48040
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Here's the local TV station, you can get live updates: 6abc Action News - WPVI Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware News

FYI - Paoli is 5 minutes from Vanguard (Malvern PA).

Update: Power was restored 10 minutes after I got the generator going...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5324
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 pm
The Bogleheads Forum is not just a place to come, learn, and leave. For many of us, it's a community. We know a little about other people's lives, congratulate them on their milestones and feel sorry about their setbacks. We don't discuss just finance, but also mundane issues such as Costco shopping and cellular providers. We don't come here just to ask, but also to respond to questions to the extend of our expertise.

It is natural to spend more time in a community than at a targeted source of information.

Victoria
+1
Perfect :D
Aloha
jim

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by pondering » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 pm

If you don’t pay attention to the moderators they can remove you for essentially not paying attention to the moderators.

If you stick to the topics you mentioned you will be fine.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

staythecourse
Posts: 6002
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by staythecourse » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 pm
The Bogleheads Forum is not just a place to come, learn, and leave. For many of us, it's a community. We know a little about other people's lives, congratulate them on their milestones and feel sorry about their setbacks. We don't discuss just finance, but also mundane issues such as Costco shopping and cellular providers. We don't come here just to ask, but also to respond to questions to the extend of our expertise.

It is natural to spend more time in a community than at a targeted source of information.

Victoria
Well said.

I don't have any other place or group of folks I trust to ask random questions to that are only distantly related to finance and have full confidence I will get educated and well thought out advice on any topic one can think to ask.

I love this forum MORE for that then for actual investing advice.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Post Reply