Too much Bogleheads.org?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Iowa David

Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by Iowa David » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm

I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

JBTX

Re: Too much Bogleheads.org?

Post by JBTX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I kind of get where you are coming from. I’ve been here not quite a year and have spent far more time here than i ever would have guessed. I am a bit obsessive about message boards and this has become my obsession vs sports or political forums in the past. At least in the process I am learning something useful.

The board has been useful in kind of getting us back on track spending wise, although we still have a ways to go.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Information overload is a big problem these days with the internet. Online forums can be addictive. It's good to take a break and read fiction, watch a movie, pursue your hobbies etc. rather than going to the computer with most of your free time.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 pm

All engines stop.

(1) Turn your computer OFF, and take a WALK to your favorite library.
(2) Take a (NOT related to investments) book home.
(3) If unable to do 1,2, then order the (NOT related to investments) book from the unowho website.
(4) After reading the (NOT related to investments) book, turn your computer ON, come back to the forum and post your review (link to the conversation on books attached).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=147398&start=2900

Happy reading, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm

It gets worse. Just wait until your wife will no longer listen to you when all you want to talk about is money haha

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Bogleheads and books help you with theory and planning. If you find yourself watching CNBC or the financial news sites, they ten to lead you astray, or at least make you anxious.

Still, there comes a point where you realize that all the questions and answers are ones you've heard before. Take a break. You can tune out for months and you won't miss anything.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Take a break and go spend a few months on Reddit.

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 pm

1. I think it subsides, but information overload / "soft" internet addiction is real and something I struggle with.

2. This is part of the reason that I gravitated towards a three-fund portfolio. Once start thinking about REITs, small value tiling, etc. then I start to go down deep rabbit holes and tinkering. So I've purposefully opted to keep it simple to help myself stay the course and move on with my life.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 pm

It’s personal finance and you have the gene. When it starts getting in the way of things it’s a problem, but I sort of view it as a quasi hobby. Once everything is relatively maximized, it slows down, and you become less obsessive, but at the beginning it’s certainly normal to obsess a bit.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 pm

OP, don't worry, it will get worse :twisted:
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm right there with you but it is on a glidepath down.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:48 pm

If you are otherwise employed, providing for the family, raising your children, loving your spouse, loving your life, what have you, I don't see a problem with an infatuation with an online forum. There are worse things to be addicted to. Saving money? That's usually a good thing.

I don't know if your finances ever stabilizes though. I was starting my first job. Then I was saving extra for my first home. Then I got married. Then children. Then more children. Every step required some aspect of finance that this forum can provide knowledge in.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 pm

welcome to the 1/3rd of people who are financially literate (assuming you are). That's right, 2/3rds of Americans can't pass a basic literacy test:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/12/financial-literacy/

Realize then that most people you encounter are not like you, i.e., not financially minded. It can be challenging at times and many who are not literate do not seem to want to learn. For the rest of us, we enjoy learning new things. That being said, many things in finance are fairly static. That is, once you learn financial literacy, there's not that much new under the sun. So you won't be gaining that much new knowledge after you've acquired the basics:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

In fact some say all the financial advice anyone needs can be written on a 4X6" notecard:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+not ... fox-b-1-ab

I think it's normal. Your description of yourself sounds familiar to me. Overtime, you tend to see the same issues, questions, etc. And bogleheads for some becomes less interesting, more boring because the same answers may be given (because multiple people keep asking the same questions). The answers don't change. Somone actually posted this very question within the past year. The question was something to the effect of "Is bogleheads becoming less interesting?" It's an interesting exchange from someone who was also very excited initially but overtime found bogleheads losing it's luster. Or was it the poster that was becoming less interested in financial discussions?

viewtopic.php?t=226805

So there's help. You may find it less consuming over time. You may find yourself learning less and then offerring more to others. Things change with time. Perhaps you can use your interest to help others. Not just here but in other places. You could volunteer to do free tax preparation through VITA (volunteer income tax assistance). I do and really enjoy it. It makes a difference in people's lives. There are lots of ways to help others.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-ta ... volunteers

Only you can determine if you're too obsessed with financial matters. Are your relationships being affected? Is your work being affected? Is your sleep being affected? Are you anxious when your investments lose value, etc.? These are probably some tell tale signs you might want to pull back. I think you'll have to figure it out. Let us know what you think. And welcome to the group.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm

For myself eventually the original excitement wore off. I figured it out and now it's mostly boring.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 pm

I hear you but I’m also the type of person that gets really into things and changes every few years. Often these things involve online forums for knowledge sharing. I don’t let it get in the way though, and there are worse “obsessions” than piling money away for my future (previously saved nothing).

I don’t let it get in the way of fun vacations and great food. Many would feel my budget for that is still too high but I’m always working to keep a balanced life.

While I struggle to live this, after you’ve spent enough time on this forum I do think books or other outlets are healthier ways to maintain the fix.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Warning!

Compulsive Boglehead Reading is an actual thing.

(You have to stop early or there may be a point of no return.)

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm
For myself eventually the original excitement wore off. I figured it out and now it's mostly boring.

After 2,438 posts! :beer

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm

After 2,438 posts! :beer
That many? :oops:
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

camillus

Post by camillus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Compulsivity is important to address. The irony of compulsivity with bogleheads.org is that the principles of this community are simplicity and the pursuit of freedom - that is, being able to live the life you want.

So, is the life you want one where you compulsively check an online message board?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (community).

I don't see any problems here. :)

The best way to learn something is to try and teach it. If anyone wants to spend even more time here, consider becoming a wiki editor. You'll be able to pass what you've learned to others.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:35 pm

For many people, once they have their financial lives in order then their interest in reading, posting, running models, etc. will decline. Maybe they’ll re-engage when they hit a milestone event or have a specific question. But then their interest fades away again.

For others, personal finance becomes a hobby and they continually are reading, posting, running models, etc. I count myself in this group. Some issues on this forum are repetitious, but there probably isn’t a day that I am on here that I don’t learn something. But I also am retired, so my time spent on financial activities is no different than another retiree whose hobby is golf, knitting, practicing the viola, etc.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm
I joined this site a few months back and am blown away with the amount of knowledge and support of this site.

Between this site and the recommended books I have learned a tremendous amount and have become a more savvy and attentive investor.

That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive. While I love being more informed and knowledgeable, I don't want to get to the point where I spend so much time thinking about this that I lose sight of the things that are most important (family, friends, new adventures & etc.)

For those that have been on site site for more than a year, do you think this is "normal" for folks who are just getting started and does this subside once you've reached a point where your budget, lifestyle and investing habits have stabilized? Or, once you've "seen the light" do you stay hyper-focused on all things financial?
Personally, I don't understand why investing habits would take much time. A simple plan is satisfactory, it's fuzzy math, you'll never know if a complex plan way worth the time. Google the term "satisficing".

But, I feel that it's relatively time consuming to do a good job on tax avoidance.

I think Rick Ferri said something like "Investing is easy, taxes are hard".
Last edited by tadamsmar on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 pm

The only thing better than Bogleheads.org is MORE Bogleheads.org. :twisted:
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Iowa David wrote:

Everyone has different motivations to visit the forum.

1 Personal investment finance help. IE: Portfolio Review
2 Investment Finance continuing education.
3 Social media and entertainment. "How to change a lightbulb?" "Which Rolex to buy this week?"
4 Assist and help others with personal knowledge and experience unique to oneself. (As one learns, one can assist others along the way)
5 Camaraderie - associating with those of "like minds" and "interests".
6 Encouragement to "stay the course" (big one).
7 Etc.

For those with a single purpose, once that is done, there's no reason to continue.
For others, not so and varying degrees of.

Personally, I am constantly fascinated and impressed by the depth of knowledge, experience, professionalism, maturity, and unselfish help that happens in the forum, and strive to emulate those that are stellar in those areas.

To the OP: If you strive for a greater good, you will never be bored. :D

aloha
j :D

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

it's normal and it will pass. Might take a few years or until you find something you are really passionate about.

JT

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 am

I’ve been hanging out on this forum for less than two years.

For me, I spent the first year reading everything I could about personal finance. After about a year, I have reduced the amount of reading—on and off line—because I reached my saturation point.

These days, I only read personal consumer posts because those are the only posts I can relate to since the investment stuff is on autopilot.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 am

mx711yam wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm
It gets worse. Just wait until your wife will no longer listen to you when all you want to talk about is money haha
Lol. And hopefully you saw the guy who was trying to create a power point so he could explain their finances to his wife. :shock:
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:08 am

Maybe not an issue for the OP at 13 posts, but I've wondered if there is any relation to a "milestone" in the count. Like, are people statistically likely to spend more time on the site and post more often when they're at 990 posts compared to 1010?

bantam222

Post by bantam222 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:58 am

When I first joined I spent a lot of time learning and obsessing — this dipped down after the 1st year or so, mainly because I had already established a solid base and learned the fundamentals.

My ROI per hour of learning is a lot smaller. And my life situation (single, no kids, no house ...) has not changed, so the original model I developed when I first started is still pretty accurate.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 am

Since joining, my already full bookshelf has gotten more crowded. The solution - turn off the computer and get back to real life, think about it - yes, but try not to obsess over it. Review IPS once per year, make changes as required then move on to your real life.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:25 am

mx711yam wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm
I've got to be careful about this one. I'm obsessing a little about retirement now. But my wife is retiring this year, and I will probably retire in a year or two, so it does not seem unreasonable to obsess a little about it. When we had young kids I obsessed about that. When were looking at buying a new car, I obsessed. When I pick up a new hobby I obsess for awhile. Maybe I'm a little OCD ;) Or, maybe it is normal :)

TheoLeo

Post by TheoLeo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 am

I also got completely sucked in and it IS getting in the way of my life in the last weeks. Not even funny.
I think what I got here is analysis paralysis. Whenever I am confronted with questions that do not have a definitive answer but potentially big consequences for my life, I am in trouble.

My mind goes sth like this: "Everyone seems to be investing. You don´t, you play it save. But is that a mistake? Are you missing out? Or maybe I should save more so I can save AND take chances by investing? But how much saving is too much saving? Can you afford to lose any money at all through investing? How likely is it to lose x amount in y years anyways? Will the smart money start gaming the indexing dumb money (me) as soon as it gets popular enough so even I learn about it? And what about japan in the 80s? What about italy in the 60s? What will Mario Draghi and Bernake do next? Is there an underlying mechanism that guarantees rising stock prices over the long run? Is this mechanism tied with population growth, gdp or global debt and if it is, will the world ever have to reduce its debt burden or can it grow forever? What are the WHO population growth projections for the next 100 years?" :oops:

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 am

I've been on it for several years. I use it as a resource if I have an issue. One of the keys for me is whom do I listen to? There are many, many opinions on here....at the end of the day I have to decide which are helpful.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 am

Iowa David wrote:
That being said, I find myself constantly thinking about personal finance & investing - almost to the point where I find myself being borderline obsessive.
This is the beauty of target date funds. Select, set up auto contributions and forget about it.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 am

Yes, it has definitely subsided for me. I started reading Mr. Money Mustache and Bogleheads when I was in college. But I had no money to invest at the time, so I was casually reading and storing the info away for later. When I graduated and got a "real job" in 2015 and actually had money to invest, it definitely became an obsession. I spent a few hours every day reading about personal finance and investing and designing spreadsheets to plan and optimize.

Roughly a year later in mid-2016 I achieved a positive net worth and my obsession started to fade. I think that was the main driver, since I am debt averse and always felt like my money was working against me while I was in the red. Once I saw that my money was working for me, that my savings and investments were on autopilot, and that further time spent would not yield better results, my time spent in this arena quickly dropped off.

I pretty much never browse Bogleheads or read about personal finance at home anymore. I update my spreadsheets monthly and that's enough of my free time spent on personal finance/investing for me.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 am

I do it for the Camaraderie. If I try to speak of this to my friends, family or other people it's like talking to a wall.
Vanguard Total World Equity Index - The rational portfolio

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 am

Once you buy into the boglehead philosophy, there is only so much investing information that you need. I tend to ignore most investing posts nowadays and find personal finance and consumer topics much more interesting. There is a lot of knowledge on many topics in the forum and I learn a lot from others on these types of posts.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 am

maybe someone should start a support group for people who get "too much bogleheads" :happy
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 am
maybe someone should start a support group for people who get "too much bogleheads" :happy
The beginning stages of "Boglehead Withdrawal".

Symptoms:
Depression > "What if my allocation is too risky. . . "
Agitation > "Drat. . . a Correction. . I knew my allocation was wrong. . . "
Emotional Overreaction > "Sell Sell Sell. . . "
Sleeping Problems > "What would 'nisiprius' do? What would 'Toons' say? 'I should have listened to 'livesoft'"

Actionably: All things in moderation. . including moderation.

mahalo,
j :D

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:48 am

lostdog wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 am
I do it for the Camaraderie. If I try to speak of this to my friends, family or other people it's like talking to a wall.
I can relate. Even my husband, who has the most at stake in terms of the consequences of my analyses and research, has a limited interest in the details.

I discovered recently that he did not know about the 4% safe withdrawal rate concept. That threw me for a loop, but also gave me some perspective.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 am

I spend 30 minutes a day on Bogleheads and enjoy it. If I felt it was a problem I would limit it to an hour. Not every topic will interest me ie Lexus vs. Tesla LOL
Last edited by rec7 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am

A successful index fund investor goes through four phases:
1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: flounders in darkness, finds enlightenment, overcomplicates strategy, embraces simplicity.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:04 am

"At first, I saw mountains as mountains and rivers as rivers. Then, I saw mountains were not mountains and rivers were not rivers. Finally, I see mountains again as mountains, and rivers again as rivers."

Substitute "Bogleheads" for "mountains and rivers"!

(disclosure - I spend lots of time on this forum but have plenty of other interests too. It is bad only if it causes bad effects)

MMMsentMe

Post by MMMsentMe » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:07 pm

I was the exact same way. I found out about MrMoneyMustache and then the Bogleheads and was immediately hooked. Spent quite a bit of time on both websites just reading various threads, buying new investment books to read, etc. You are definitely right about feeling obsessed or addicted but eventually it goes away. I still frequent both websites but not near as much as I did.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm

After almost a decade and a half on this site and its predecessor, I know where you're coming from.

If you're like most, you'll realize there is no benefit to being on here every day after the first year and you'll go do something else. If you're like a few of us, you'll transition to helping others rather than trying to learn yourself.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am

Dear OP,

You’re in the complexity stage. Once you get through that, you’ll be able to disconnect for long periods and not think you’re missing something.

Rick Ferri
This is exactly what I went through. WOW Rick you nailed it on the head. When I hit number 4 my destination was Vanguard Total World Index for equities.
Vanguard Total World Equity Index - The rational portfolio

Post by 2015 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm in Rick Ferri's Stage 4, but continue to quickly browse the forum now because I always enjoy learning something I don't know (and there's always something I don't know, even if it's not related to investing, like navigating the healthcare billing system).

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm

rec7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 am
I spend 30 minutes a day on Bogleheads and enjoy it. If I felt it was a problem I would limit it to an hour.
This is a very good post.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am

Dear OP,

Rick Ferri
An excellent description of the phases, Rick!

+1
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm

I’m reading “Pride and Prejudice “. Nice counter-balance to Bogleheads.org.