[When is going out to a restaurant worth it to you?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Alexa9

[When is going out to a restaurant worth it to you?]

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm

[Thread updated, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

We cook a lot so we don't go out to eat much both to save money and because we can cook most things better than cheap restaurants with better quality ingredients and more time spent preparing it carefully. When we do rarely go out we prefer nicer restaurants that make things that are difficult or different than we would make at home. Also, ethnic restaurants that we don't normally cook like Thai or Sushi. Fast food or diner type restaurants are a last resort unless on road trips because they are consistent. Highly rated dives on Yelp are an exception and a place I like to try like new food carts with interesting menus.
I would imagine that some healthier better ingredient fast food restaurants I could eat at every day if I had to like Chipotle. Their burrito bowl uses good ingredients and is good for two meals. For the most part, it is very easy to make something similar at home though. I can make a better burger than any fast food joint and a better steak (the way I like) than any fancy steak joint. It is a dilemma and we do get tired of cooking sometimes. I do find it a waste of money most of the time to go out but it is fun.

Dottie57

Re: Restaurants Vs. Cooking?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Is there a question.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
Is there a question.
There is now. . . . :D

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Here's a question: How many meals is a Chipotle burrito bowl for you?

For me: 3
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't go to Chipotle...

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Is there a question?
When do you pick a restaurant over cooking?

airborne

Post by airborne » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm
livesoft wrote:

I don't go to Chipotle...
Neither do I. Too many cases of food-borne illnesses associated with their restaurants.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

livesoft wrote:

Write your own joke here....

airborne

Post by airborne » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Is there a question?
I usually travel four to five days per week for work. Typically I'll have a handful of home-prepared meals each month, but I find it's hard to grocery shop for so few meals at home without the perishable items going bad. Plus, when I'm actually home I tend to be social and eat out with friends for most meals. Long story short, for me restaurants are the default choice over cooking although it does become expensive.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Is there a question?
When working a stressful job, most of time I pick takeout.

Now retired I have been mostly cooking.

So it depends on time.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Is there a question.
There is now. . . . :D
LOL
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:56 pm

I rarely eat out and never in the Chipotle types. Even though the ingredients in the fast casual places can be fine, the meals are always loaded with salt, frighteningly so.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm

In my single days I ate out a lot because it was hard for me to get through fresh food before a chunk of it spoiled. You gotta eat a lot of sandwiches as a single guy to get through a loaf of bread before it dries out. I calculated it was actually cheaper to eat out. I also wasn't a skilled cook that could mix and match and make something out of a weird combination of ingredients.

Now with 2 teenagers we don't have any problem using up food before it spoils. So I eat in more.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
I prefer to never have a restaurant I frequent over cook my meal. :P

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 pm

If you want a dry-aged USDA prime steak, you're not going to be able to buy that at your local supermarket. If you order online from any of the top places, by the time you include the overnight shipping, you're paying almost restaurant prices.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 pm
If you want a dry-aged USDA prime steak, you're not going to be able to buy that at your local supermarket. If you order online from any of the top places, by the time you include the overnight shipping, you're paying almost restaurant prices.
The supermarket won’t have that, but there are three butcher shops in my zip code that sell dry-aged beef. Most cities still have a butcher shop or two. You can get any ingredients local chefs get, you just have to shop at the same places they do.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm

I worked at both a Burger Chef and a very fancy country club in high school. Although I did see the boss once dump over a basket of uncooked fries on the floor, pick em up and put them in the fryer, the things done at the country club were by far worse. Food that wasn't eaten taken off plates coming in the kitchen for dish washing being put onto another dish, warmed and served to the next people. Us dishwashers would attempt to dump over incoming dishes to prevent the practice. To this day, if I'm not finishing a dinner, I'll ask for a container and put it in it myself at the table.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:56 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [When is going out to a restaurant worth it to you?]

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 pm

The thread was originally locked because there was no focus to the discussion ("not actionable"). Via PM, the OP has clarified the intent, which is "When is going out to a restaurant worth it to you?". I have retitled the thread.

This thread is now reopened to continue the discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SR II

Post by SR II » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:54 pm

"When is going out to a restaurant worth it to you?"
A. When I don't feel like cooking.
B. When I don't have anything in the fridge to make a meal.
C. When I'm not at home to cook.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 pm

SR II wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:54 pm
A. When I don't feel like cooking.
B. When I don't have anything in the fridge to make a meal.
C. When I'm not at home to cook.
The obvious answers of course. But I think some people tend to go out to eat much more than others. Do they just not know how to cook? Hate doing dishes? Prefer the variety and ease of restaurants (at a significant cost)?

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:17 pm

No one has mentioned dates yet?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

peppers

Post by peppers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 pm

When my executive chef at home says, " I am not cooking tonight", usually on weekends, I know it's game on.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

gator15

Post by gator15 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I rarely go out anymore because of the expense. Food and drinks generally equal $100 or more and then you have to throw in a 20% tip. If we go out it's generally for special occasions. I generally try to avoid chain restaurants at all costs. I'm a decent cook and can generally cook just as good as them.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:37 pm

A. When it makes my wife happy.
B. When I can try something new that we really don't have the equipment/ingredients/knowhow to make at home.
C. Goto A

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 pm
The obvious answers of course. But I think some people tend to go out to eat much more than others. Do they just not know how to cook? Hate doing dishes? Prefer the variety and ease of restaurants (at a significant cost)?
All the above and I'll add one more: if you're single, most recipes are designed for more than 1 person.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:11 pm

BLUF: We happily spend some money to buy back time.

1. We like eating different things that are time consuming to cook on our own
2. We don't particularly enjoy cooking or washing dishes
3. We don't enjoy grocery shopping (usually requires multiple stops -- store with low prices has bad meat and vegetables)

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 pm

peppers wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 pm
When my executive chef at home says, " I am not cooking tonight", usually on weekends, I know it's game on.
My executive chef says "What's for dinner tonight?" That is when I know it's game on.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 pm

GCD wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm
In my single days I ate out a lot because it was hard for me to get through fresh food before a chunk of it spoiled. You gotta eat a lot of sandwiches as a single guy to get through a loaf of bread before it dries out. I calculated it was actually cheaper to eat out.
All my days have been single days. There is this thing called a "freezer." I often buy several loaves of fresh-baked bread at once, cut them into 1/3 or 1/4 and freeze them. Bread freezes well; just don't put it in the fridge.
Last week on the way to the Coast stopped at the Otis Café and picked up 2 loaves of dark molasses bread. Yum!

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 pm

GerryL wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 pm
GCD wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm
In my single days I ate out a lot because it was hard for me to get through fresh food before a chunk of it spoiled. You gotta eat a lot of sandwiches as a single guy to get through a loaf of bread before it dries out. I calculated it was actually cheaper to eat out.
All my days have been single days. There is this thing called a "freezer." I often buy several loaves of fresh-baked bread at once, cut them into 1/3 or 1/4 and freeze them. Bread freezes well; just don't put it in the fridge.
Last week on the way to the Coast stopped at the Otis Café and picked up 2 loaves of dark molasses bread. Yum!
Ha yeah. I've learned a lot of stuff like that since I got married. Never learned it from mom. Oh well...

Greaterunderstanding

Post by Greaterunderstanding » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 pm

I ate a $16 elk burger today. Worth it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm

We go to high end places socially with friends a few times a year but mostly do our own cooking. Fortunately we both love to cook and we like shopping for quality foods so for us most regular restaurant food is a terrible value. Also absolutely no chains or fast food places are patronized - that food is industrial and mostly disgusting. When we do go out casually to eat it is always at various mom and pop run ethnic places that produce very authentic Indian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, or Latino foods (not the bland, weird Americanized versions).

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 am

golfCaddy wrote:
You can dry age steak at home. I’ve done it several times and it’s fairly easy to do. With some planning and America’s Test Kitchen’s Caesar salad with homemade garlic croutons, you won’t need a steakhouse restaurant ever again.

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:38 am

rosylenm wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 am

You can dry age steak at home. I’ve done it several times and it’s fairly easy to do...
Could you tell us the procedure to dry-age the steak?

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 am

Main driver is time. With two kids involved with sports, on nights we have practice and weekend games we eat out or grab food to go. We do sneak in the occasional entertainment dine-outs for date night.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 am

rosylenm wrote:
golfCaddy wrote:
You can dry age steak at home. I’ve done it several times and it’s fairly easy to do.
I would be careful about dry aging at home. Without precise humidity and temperature control, beef that's been home aged can be at best off tasting and at worst make you sick. Then, the flavor changes start to be significant around 3 weeks of dry aging.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 am

We mostly eat out occasionally for food that we don't like to prepare like sushi or various ethnic cuisines. We rarely eat out at "American" type restaurants.

However lately when we do go out, we have been eating at places that serve multiple courses and pair each course with wine. It had definitely broadened our knowledge of wine pairing. It has also been good inspiration for spicing up our home meals both in taste and presentation.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Sometimes we'll do go out for something reasonably healthy and not very expensive, e.g., Chipotle or Panera (the soup and salad, not the sweets).

Otherwise, I can't even remember the last time we were in a true "restaurant" with wait staff. We just have no enthusiasm for it.

Reasons:

•There's going to be a waiter, probably named Justin, who's going to begin by telling us (because management requires him to do so) that his name is Justin and he'll be our waiter. During the meal itself, while we're in the middle of conversation, he's going to return several times (because management requires him to do so), and interrupt that conversation as if it's not even occurring, in order to ask "How is everything?" . . . We're not curmudgeons, but one of the reasons we lost enthusiasm for restaurant meals is that we don't feel like dealing with Justin.

•We have some food allergies. If we go out, we have to gently but very specifically interrogate the wait staff about ingredients, so that we can prevent a "medical incident." Decades ago we gave up on eating in authentic "ethnic" restaurants where English may not be a first language, because staff couldn't understand (and we couldn't explain in their native language) our allergy issues. But we also backed away from eating out in general, because thoughts about "what's in this food?" contributed to a certain low-level background uneasiness that sapped pleasure from the meal. When we cook at home we know exactly "what's in the food," and what's been kept out.

•Our home cooking is, for our tastes and food styles, better than most restaurants. Not fancier, just good-tasting and more wholesome.

•At the grocery and farmer's market, we buy mostly organic, which is still not possible in most restaurants.

•We found that the pleasure we got from a restaurant meal was very temporary and almost never worth the cost, compared to our enjoyment of more durable things we could have bought with the same money.

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 am

Yes, GolfCaddy is right that temperature and humidity control are very important. Having said that....

I can't find the article I thought I saved on my desktop, but found nine copies of this

http://www.beefissuesquarterly.com/CMDo ... f_Beef.pdf

The Food Lab tested dry aging

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the ... -home.html

The Spruce also tested dry aging

https://www.thespruce.com/dry-aging-beef-331496

What I did:

--Bought prime rib roasts from Costco (boneless; no bone-in ones when I went)
--Dried roast with paper towels
--Wrapped in white washclothes and put on a plate in the back of the refrigerator
--Each day for up to 28 days, replaced the washclothes with clean washclothes
--After 21/28 days, cut the dried crusty outer scab that formed on the roast and sliced into individual steaks (there is a lot of waste because you can't eat the crusty bits)

We did one for 21 days and another for 28 days. We didn't do a taste test, but they were both buttery, tender deliciousness when cooked for a very short time in a very hot pan (cook time drastically reduced because less moisture in steaks).

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:17 am

I would say that we don't eat out very often. For us, it is more financially responsible and healthier to prepare meals at home.

We will dine out or order in, though, when we want an experience, whether it is with the food or the company. In our city there are restaurants owned and operated by people of cultures from all around the world and we love trying different authentic ethnic foods. Our city also has what are considered some of the best restaurants in the nation and a few that are world-renowned. The meals served there, often in various courses, are a form of art: the order the courses are served, the ingredients chosen for them, the presentation of the plates/items, and the flavor components of each item.

We also eat away from home, order delivery, or take-out when it's too difficult to prepare, eat, and clean at home. There are many reasons when that makes sense.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 am

Glasgow wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:38 am
rosylenm wrote:

You can dry age steak at home. I’ve done it several times and it’s fairly easy to do...
Could you tell us the procedure to dry-age the steak?
https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good- ... ouse-rules

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 am

I go when I feel like being pampered.

This is why I don't see the point in going to a buffet -- you are giving up a big part of that pampering. Peel me a grape!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:18 am

peppers wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 pm
Amen!

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:27 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm
I worked at both a Burger Chef and a very fancy country club in high school. Although I did see the boss once dump over a basket of uncooked fries on the floor, pick em up and put them in the fryer, the things done at the country club were by far worse. Food that wasn't eaten taken off plates coming in the kitchen for dish washing being put onto another dish, warmed and served to the next people. Us dishwashers would attempt to dump over incoming dishes to prevent the practice. To this day, if I'm not finishing a dinner, I'll ask for a container and put it in it myself at the table.
Wow, just wow. Where was management when all this went on?

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:45 am

- Usually when we're short on time or just exhausted from work. Ordering take-out on a mobile app and picking it up is fantastic.

- When it's close to grocery day and we're nearly out of food.

- When we have guests on short notice.

I'd much prefer home cooking. Restaurants are expensive, the food is generally unhealthy, and cleanliness questionable at times. :-)

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 am

I go to restaurants because I want to have certain dishes that I have no idea how to make.

I also like to go for stuff that may take a lot of time to prepare.

And it is nice to try something new.

Natsdoc

Post by Natsdoc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 am

It's worth it to us to celebrate surviving another workweek and because we are usually too exhausted to cook on Friday and are tired of leftovers. We cook extra on the weekends and freeze for during the week.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

I go out to dinner every night. I do alot of things that other people would never dream of doing themselves (e.g., my S Corp tax return). Everyone is different in their decisions about what to do in house and what to outsource. Personally, I enjoy paperwork and hate to cook.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm
I do find it a waste of money most of the time to go out but it is fun.
So when your "fun" tank starts to run dry, then it's worth it to go to a restaurant. Otherwise don't waste the money.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:22 pm

- For a celebration
- When it is Restaurant Week
- When we have a coupon, Living Social or Groupon
- When someone else is buying :D