Filed 2017 taxes electonically for FREE

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mhadden1

Filed 2017 taxes electonically for FREE

Post by mhadden1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 pm

I stopped working in 2016, and our 2017 income was almost entirely DW's high school teacher salary, leaving us under the free tax filing income limits for the first time. I don't mind using online tax prep software, so I set out to file for FREE.

I was immediately disappointed when the free versions of the best known tax prep packages choked on the fact that I had small capital gains from two mutual fund sales. :annoyed

I began to try other, lesser-known packages. Luckily most can begin by reading a prior year's PDF to reduce manual data entry. And, many packages can search for and retrieve W-2 info.

At last, persistence paid off! FreeTaxUSA would handle the capital gains on my federal return for free. For my simple return, taking the standard deduction, the user interface was fine. Now for state: FreeTaxUSA charges a fee for state returns. No good. A quick check on my state revenue dept. web page showed: a way to enter the numbers and file online for free!

The state's user interface proved clunky. I knew that with the federal return in hand, a few trivial clicks and $14.95 paid to FreeTaxUSA would put my 2017 taxes in the can. Only my dogged determination to pay nothing got me through the state's user interface to file electronically for FREE. :beer

Possibly there is a package that would have let me file both federal and state returns for free, and maybe next year I will find it - or maybe in 2018 I can achieve perfect buy-and-hold, with no gains from sales to report.

And, I did become aware of IRS Free Fillable Forms as an alternative for federal filing. I did not pursue that but maybe it would have been better all along, since I ended up using the state web application to file my state return.

Good luck to all Bogleheads in the quest for free tax filing!
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

mhadden1

Re: Filed 2017 taxes electonically for FREE

Post by mhadden1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 pm

And of course I meant to write that I filed "electronically"
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

You wrote:
Possibly there is a package that would have let me file both federal and state returns for free, and maybe next year I will find it - or maybe in 2018 I can achieve perfect buy-and-hold, with no gains from sales to report

I have used free tax software and filed electronically for federal and state for over 10 years for me and for friends. The last couple of years I have used OLT (On Line Tax) for federal and state. In the past I have used Free Tax USA, Tax Slayer, 1040 Now and free TurboTax. I stopped using them because they changed their programs or earnings or terms allowing free returns so that I (we) could not use them. I have to have capital gains and Schedule K1 and all do not. I review the IRS "Free File look up tool" every year at https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/wizard.jsp to look at all free software to be sure. I select the one which fits me the best and OLT has been the best for us the last few years.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 pm
I was immediately disappointed when the free versions of the best known tax prep packages choked on the fact that I had small capital gains from two mutual fund sales.
If you go through the IRS link you get a better version. I hear https://www.myfreetaxes.com is the H&R Block Premium edition which should handle the capital gains with ease. It's also free for state. The only requirement is your AGI has to be less than $66k.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm

I have also had positive experiences with FreetaxUSA. My state taxes are easy to efile directly through the state website, so my approach is to do the Federal with Freetaxusa and then do the state taxes myself based on the federal return for a total cost of $0.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 pm

The free H&R Block version that I tried would not handle the capital gains from mutual fund sales. I thought Block would be cool because I liked Jon Hamm on Mad Men and I think he does a commercial. (As good a reason as any to use a free product?) I may have picked the wrong version to begin with, or clicked through it wrong, or I don't know what. Anyway whenever I tried to enter the capital gains it threw me out and offered the paid version, as did TurboTax, TaxAct, and some others I can't recall.

taurabora

Post by taurabora » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

I just use https://www.freefilefillableforms.com. I check my math with TurboTax, but don't file with them.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Pretty sure I did not click through the IRS site for H&R Block, can't remember about the others. Maybe that is a key.

I plan to help a friend file on Friday - she should qualify for free filing but we previously encountered a similar snag due to her taxable state refund from last year - I am even more committed to soldier through the process for her, as she really needs to watch her expenses. If FreeTaxUSA does not work out, I will definitely check into the packages that others report success with.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Duplicate.
Last edited by dratkinson on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 pm

BH Filed 2017 taxes electronically for FREE
Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm
... I have used free tax software and filed electronically for federal and state for over 10 years for me and for friends. The last couple of years I have used OLT (On Line Tax)...
+1 for OLT. This is my 4th year using it. With my being familiar with it and it moving my data over from last year, it took ~2hrs to do my draft fed and state returns. Will finish in a few days after reviewing returns with fresh eyes.

Received an OLT receipt by email saying I will owe $0 this year (again) for fed+state+efile. :)

If I'd been required to pay, the cost would have been $7.95 each for fed and state. Which is cheaper than the more popular tax s/w packages.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:54 pm
Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm
... I have used free tax software and filed electronically for federal and state for over 10 years for me and for friends. The last couple of years I have used OLT (On Line Tax)...
+1 for OLT. This is my 4th year using it. With my being familiar with it and it moving my data over from last year, it took ~2hrs to do my draft fed and state returns. Will finish in a few days after reviewing returns with fresh eyes.

Received an OLT receipt by email saying I owe $0 this year, again. :)

If I'd been required to pay, the cost would have been $7.95 each for fed and state. Which is cheaper than the more popular tax s/w packages.
How are its import features?
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Pranav wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm
How are its import features?
I should have been more clear. No, OLT does not import 3rd party information.

OLT only imports what I entered last year: personal information, and blank tax documents (correct employer information, but blank amounts).

It took me ~4hrs the first year I used OLT to learn its interface and enter my personal information and tax forms. It goes faster in later years as it only asks me to confirm my personal information and edit/add/delete tax documents/information.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm

VITA and AARP TaxAide will provide free tax preparation and e-filing for folks who are seniors or lower income. While this will likely take more time (travel, waiting, etc) than just using one of the on-line programs, it is great for those who cannot or don't want to use a computer themselves. [But they wouldn't find out about it by reading this forum! ]

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
In Australia the totally free tax filing software is provided by the equivalent of the IRS every year.

It has the additional benefit that it is prefilled with all the information banks and employers have already reported to the government. So for most people filing taxes takes about 15 minutes to review all the information for anything missing or mistakes.

Sometimes it feels like America sets itself the challenge "What's the hardest possible way to do something? Let's do that to prove our gumption."

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm

New York had a free tax file on their site 2 years ago. It's gone now, probably due to paid providers donations.
All the Best, | Joe

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 pm

I think I heard someone say that Credit Karma has tax filing software that is 100% free. A facebook friend used it and said it was great and totally free with no catch at all.

I just looked at the website and it does say 100% free and seems to say it does state and will Efile which is where most places charge you fees.

I think I'm going to try that this year.

teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am

joe8d wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm
New York had a free tax file on their site 2 years ago. It's gone now, probably due to paid providers donations.
That, or it was easier to allow commercial providers to develop the SW than do it themselves fully.

I really wanted to use the IRS fillable forms, but NY's rule that you must efile state if you efile federal meant I had to go thru commercial SW. When NY began offering state fillable forms i was excited, but they didn't yet offer all forms necessary, notably anything related to children. The state made some claim that a ridiculously high percentage of NYers could efile this way (can't remember if it was 65%+ or 95%+). Really? That high of a percentage of people don't have kids under age 17 (CTC), or in college (AOTC), or are low income (EITC)? I was hoping NY was rolling out more forms each year and I'D eventually be able to fill in my own forms and efile, but they threw in the towel and gave up altogether.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am

FREETAXUSA10 is coupon code which will give 10% off.
Also ebates cashback site will give 25% cashback for Freetaxusa if anyone else plan to use this
Iam also going to use the freetaxusa.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 am

I used credit karma, and they don't even have a paid version

They ask you if they can use your data for non sold internal advertisement purposes. I selected no. Worked fine.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 am

core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am
Also ebates cashback site will give 25% cashback for Freetaxusa if anyone else plan to use this
Can FreeTaxUSA import information from Vanguard or Employer W-2, etc.?

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm

I tried Credit Karma and was told I needed to upgrade my account by entering a landline phone number, but I haven't had a landline for over a decade. I filed for free through H&R Block, but I don't think my income this year will allow me to do that next year.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Pranav wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 am
core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 am
Can FreeTaxUSA import information from Vanguard or Employer W-2, etc.?
No it wont import anything from Vanguard or W2. we need to manually enter but form is pretty simple and straight forward
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

John151

Post by John151 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I filed with FreeTaxUSA this year for the first time. As has been mentioned, FreeTaxUSA doesn’t import investment information, but it was easy to copy and paste from my electronic investment statements, and the whole thing took only an hour or two. Preparing and e-filing my federal return was free. They charge $12.95 for a state return, but I was so delighted that I could file my federal return for free that I filed my state return with them as well. $12.95 for both returns is a bargain.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Amphian wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm
I tried Credit Karma and was told I needed to upgrade my account by entering a landline phone number, but I haven't had a landline for over a decade. I filed for free through H&R Block, but I don't think my income this year will allow me to do that next year.
I don't have a landline and was able to get through it...

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm

I've been using TaxAct linked to from the IRS website for several years for federal and state both.

No problems with the software including capital gains and it imports the previous year's information, but it's been so long since I've used other software that I couldn't compare it to anything else.

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Angelus359 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 pm
Amphian wrote:
I don't have a landline and was able to get through it...
Yeah, I was actually really surprised. Maybe they only accept some carriers? I just tried again and got the same message. They have a bunch of stuff about not accepting international numbers, so maybe they think Minnesota joined Canada? I do find it ironic that a company that has a FAQ entry on why they don't have a phone number rejects me for mine. :) That said, I've been a member for close to a decade and I think this is the first issue I've ever had with the site.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 pm

taurabora wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm
I just use https://www.freefilefillableforms.com. I check my math with TurboTax, but don't file with them.
+1. Transfer AGI to state form and mail in state form.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:41 am

I helped a friend file today who appeared eligible for free filing. Our previous attempt tried to pick up with last year's TaxAct return - but entering her 2016 state tax refund disallowed free filing. :annoyed

Today I clicked through the IRS free filing web page, and for some reason chose H&R Block. After the usual personal info data entry, the software was able to import one of her W-2 forms :happy - the other had to be entered manually. :( The software was able to correctly accommodate her new qualifying widow status. :happy It readily handled her 2016 tax refund, EITC, and ACA credit, and filed federal and state returns electronically for FREE. :sharebeer

So FreeTaxUSA was fine for me, Block worked great for my friend, and my tax prep activity is put to bed for another year. :D

dratkinson

The Tax Tables in the 1040 instructions seem to be wrong.

Post by dratkinson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:20 am

Was checking my draft OLT tax return against the 1040 instruction booklet and noticed my Tax owed (1040 line 44) was light. According to booklet Tax Tables I owe more than OLT says.

I notice the Tax Computation Worksheet (i1040 page 90) uses the old tax brackets.

This IRS webpage also seem to be using the old tax brackets.
See: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040tt

So how does someone using the freefile PDF forms compute their Tax owed?

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 pm

I looked at that IRS link, and it appears to be a correct 2017 tax table.

Could there be some confusion about 2017 vs 2018 tax year? Although for most people, using 2018 table by mistake should result in at least slightly less tax.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:37 pm

jeffh19 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 pm
I think I heard someone say that Credit Karma has tax filing software that is 100% free. A facebook friend used it and said it was great and totally free with no catch at all.

I just looked at the website and it does say 100% free and seems to say it does state and will Efile which is where most places charge you fees.

I think I'm going to try that this year.
I am using it. Finished taxes but have not submitted yet. I thought it worked well and was pretty easy to follow.

They had one glitch where they were not allowing the extra $1000 HSA contribution for over 55. I contacted them and customer service (by chat and email) seemed very responsive. They fixed it within about a week.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Amphian wrote:
I don't think it had to be a landline, it was they would not accept any VOIP numbers? Tried our Ooma home phone number, FreedomPop cell number, Google Voice number, none worked.

They did indicate you could contact them if you did not have a usable phone number. Rather than that, I used number for an old cell phone on grandfathered T-mobile account that we keep alive for $10 per year.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 pm
I looked at that IRS link, and it appears to be a correct 2017 tax table.

Could there be some confusion about 2017 vs 2018 tax year? Although for most people, using 2018 table by mistake should result in at least slightly less tax.
:oops: Senior moment. Thank you.

Looked a little deeper and found my mistake. The tax-owed got sorted out on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet". (It was right there, plain as day... after the part where it says use the tax tables... in a later section of the line 44 instructions. RTFQ--read the full question.)

Did I mention that I hate doing taxes? Double-checking the s/w-created forms seem sometimes to be beyond me. :annoyed

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I used Karma free to file. Printed it out and sent state in then Fed. State cashed the check. Fed I'm weighting. I had a very simple tax form. Did make 120000 but no right offs. Even did a Roth conversion. All forms looked good. If you don't heir from me My cell No. in Or. 2314 visiting days Sunday.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Cool, I've never been to OR. When I visit I will bring one of those iron-fortified cakes so you can continue to "file". :wink:

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm

hulburt1 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm
I used Karma free to file. Printed it out and sent state in then Fed. State cashed the check. Fed I'm weighting. I had a very simple tax form. Did make 120000 but no right offs. Even did a Roth conversion. All forms looked good. If you don't heir from me My cell No. in Or. 2314 visiting days Sunday.
How are Karma’s import feature with Vanguard, Emoloyer W-2, etc.?

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:56 pm
Pretty sure I did not click through the IRS site for H&R Block, can't remember about the others. Maybe that is a key.

I plan to help a friend file on Friday - she should qualify for free filing but we previously encountered a similar snag due to her taxable state refund from last year - I am even more committed to soldier through the process for her, as she really needs to watch her expenses. If FreeTaxUSA does not work out, I will definitely check into the packages that others report success with.
I will second the reference for myfreetaxes.com for an AGI less than $66000. It is the H&R Block software premium package. It will handle stocks, rentals, taxable refunds and basically anything H&R Block personal software can do. It is supported by the United Way. All states are free as is both federal and state efiling. No need to worry about gotchas.

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am

I did have to put everything in. It just put everything in place and check to see if everything was good. My son is going to use Karman tomorrow. Hope we don't share a cell.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm

teen persuasion wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am
joe8d wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm
That, or it was easier to allow commercial providers to develop the SW than do it themselves fully.

I really wanted to use the IRS fillable forms, but NY's rule that you must efile state if you efile federal meant I had to go thru commercial SW. When NY began offering state fillable forms i was excited, but they didn't yet offer all forms necessary, notably anything related to children. The state made some claim that a ridiculously high percentage of NYers could efile this way (can't remember if it was 65%+ or 95%+). Really? That high of a percentage of people don't have kids under age 17 (CTC), or in college (AOTC), or are low income (EITC)? I was hoping NY was rolling out more forms each year and I'D eventually be able to fill in my own forms and efile, but they threw in the towel and gave up altogether.
I did FREETAXUSA for Fed ( Very Good Program) and did the fill in NY form which I'm going to mail. There is no restriction on that,
All the Best, | Joe

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm

I used H&R Block's free version available through IRS E-file website for 2017 taxes. I was able to submit federal and state (CA) for free -- already received my direct deposit refunds!

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
I stopped working in 2016, and our 2017 income was almost entirely DW's high school teacher salary, leaving us under the free tax filing income limits for the first time. I don't mind using online tax prep software, so I set out to file for FREE.

I was immediately disappointed when the free versions of the best known tax prep packages choked on the fact that I had small capital gains from two mutual fund sales. :annoyed

I began to try other, lesser-known packages. Luckily most can begin by reading a prior year's PDF to reduce manual data entry. And, many packages can search for and retrieve W-2 info.

At last, persistence paid off! FreeTaxUSA would handle the capital gains on my federal return for free. For my simple return, taking the standard deduction, the user interface was fine. Now for state: FreeTaxUSA charges a fee for state returns. No good. A quick check on my state revenue dept. web page showed: a way to enter the numbers and file online for free!

The state's user interface proved clunky. I knew that with the federal return in hand, a few trivial clicks and $14.95 paid to FreeTaxUSA would put my 2017 taxes in the can. Only my dogged determination to pay nothing got me through the state's user interface to file electronically for FREE. :beer

Possibly there is a package that would have let me file both federal and state returns for free, and maybe next year I will find it - or maybe in 2018 I can achieve perfect buy-and-hold, with no gains from sales to report.

And, I did become aware of IRS Free Fillable Forms as an alternative for federal filing. I did not pursue that but maybe it would have been better all along, since I ended up using the state web application to file my state return.

I just mail mine in. I think it costs around $3 for postage...

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

inittowinit wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm
I used H&R Block's free version available through IRS E-file website for 2017 taxes. I was able to submit federal and state (CA) for free -- already received my direct deposit refunds!
Went through the whole process and found out they did not support form 1116 (foreign tax credit)
which apparently was required as i had a cap grains distribution.
All the Best, | Joe

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 pm

joe8d wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm
Went through the whole process and found out they did not support form 1116 (foreign tax credit)
:x :x :x :x :x

I wasn't energetic enough to really prove it, but it may be really important to actually click through the IRS website vs. some other way.

Apart from that, it may be that one of the other products, like FreeTaxUSA or On Line Tax could work.

Particularly this year I see that people's mileage really does vary with these tax products.

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 pm

joe8d wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm
inittowinit wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm
which apparently was required as i had a cap grains distribution.
Very frustrating. I am lucky that mine were relatively simple (capital loss carryover is probably the most complex aspect of my return).

They ought to provide a clear, upfront list of the types of forms and situations that don't qualify for the free version.

vshun

Post by vshun » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:00 pm

There is similar but way longer discussion thread on it in slickdeals.
Beware - several people reported that free credit karma did NOT account for foreign interest tax credit. So if you have funds like Vanguard International in taxable and they issued tax credits, they will not take effect under credit karma and your return will be smaller. So free is not always winning compared to lets say TaxAct at $13 federal depending on your notional amount in taxable account international fund.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 am

Pranav wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm
hulburt1 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm
How are Karma’s import feature with Vanguard, Emoloyer W-2, etc.?
Didnt use an import feature.

It was a manual process, which is more irritating that competitors, but was well... Free

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:52 am

vshun wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:00 pm
There is similar but way longer discussion thread on it in slickdeals.
Beware - several people reported that free credit karma did NOT account for foreign interest tax credit. So if you have funds like Vanguard International in taxable and they issued tax credits, they will not take effect under credit karma and your return will be smaller. So free is not always winning compared to lets say TaxAct at $13 federal depending on your notional amount in taxable account international fund.
That's... Interesting... My taxable was US only, but good to know