Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grayfox

Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by grayfox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am

I stopped using Facebook long ago, and would have deleted it long ago, but every time I tried to find the way to delete it, I spent 10 minutes searching for the delete my account button. Never found it.

But now that so many are leaving, there are newspaper articles telling how to delete it.

Here is how to delete Facebook

He gone.

THY4373

Re: Anyone Deleting Facebook?

Post by THY4373 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:45 am

Never been on it and black holed their domains and IP blocks years ago on my home firewall #HappyLuddite.

Post by 123 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

I feel like I just lost a potential friend.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:49 am

I stopped using it years ago.
Very recently I found that many FI (financial independence) forums are on FB and I've actually started using it again (if only to read/post on those) :).
Also, music is a big hobby of mine, and there are some music forums hosted on there that I follow (and use it to get notified of local concerts from local artists).
Thus, it serve a niche aspect of my social life, but it's by no means a "hub" like it has been for many people.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

BogleLearner

Post by BogleLearner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 am

NBC news featured a tech expert who showed a way to disable
the apps where outside organizations can gather information
on the user - go to Settings, Apps, select Apps, Websites, Plugins -
hit Edit then choose Disable. It will then be labeled as Disabled.

We have never used Facebook to sign-in to other websites, so
we have never depended on Facebook.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am

Yes, deleted yesterday. Stopped using it 18 months ago.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Deleted. It's useless.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Never used it because it occurred to me that there would be a lot of my personal information out there that might get misused. Not brain surgery is it? But it must be, since millions of people apparently couldn't figure that out.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 pm

I rarely do much on the Facebook other than using it as a messenger system. I'm sure it has information on me, but I'm not sure I care.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Deleted it about 6 mo ago and thrilled!

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Keeping both of my Fb accounts.
The fake one and the real one.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 pm

I have a couple of interest groups I go to on Farcebook. But under an alias name.

Not sure they let you do that any more.

My children, however, run their lives by it. Oblivious to the risk.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

About 2-years ago, I stripped all personal info and pictures off. Haven't posted publicly since, but do participate in a few groups on there. The groups are hobby/side hustle related and valuable. I won't ever delete my account due to that.

The name is my first name for "first name" and my wife's first name for "last name".

I also HEAVILY use it for the marketplace feature. It is becoming just as good as Craigslist in our area for buying and selling.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 pm
Never used it because it occurred to me that there would be a lot of my personal information out there that might get misused.
What kinds of personal information are you concerned about? There is nothing in my facebook account that isn't easily found with quick internet search.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm

CULater wrote:
Never used it because it occurred to me that there would be a lot of my personal information out there that might get misused. Not brain surgery is it? But it must be, since millions of people apparently couldn't figure that out.
+1
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, deleted years ago. I archived all the data into a giant Zip file in case I need to view my contacts at some point. (they provided an option for this)

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I deactivated it at one point and time but came back for unbeknownst reasons. My biggest thing would be loosing all the photos on it... Anyone know of a way to save all albums / photos quickly?

Then I'll delete for good :twisted:
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Allow me to provide a millenial perspective, albeit one from a grouchy old soul of one: almost everyone I communicate with regularly is on Facebook, and Facebook Messenger has incredible network effects for organizing things in my larger group of friends and my hobby community. To my mind, the only good things about Facebook at the present time is Messenger and Facebook Events which are excellent tools to solve the coordination and communication problems in their respective areas. I use an adblocker so they make little money off of me. I have been aware of the issues with FB's data collection for many years and structured what I share with that in mind.

Instagram (also owned by FB, of course) comes much closer to what Facebook represented to me in the early days. I share nothing on Facebook, and I share things on Instagram. I am much more selective about who I allow into my network on Instagram.

If I delete facebook then I lose messenger.com. On the other hand, I have realized that I need follow no one on Facebook, so currently the center column of my feed is completely empty and I only hear what is going on in people's live the more traditional ways. There are also browser plugins which accomplish this. Correspondingly, on my mobile device I do not have the Facebook app installed but do have the (excellent) Messenger app (if only iOS had a Messenger Lite app).

So no, I won't be deleting facebook, but I don't use "Facebook" in a traditional way at all.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I use it to keep track of my children and grandchildren's activities and photos.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 pm

Kompass wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm
CULater wrote:
+1
+100000000. Facebook is useless, there I said it.

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

I also deleted all my pictures and posts about 2 years ago. I tried to delete the account, but couldn't figure out how. I don't think there is a link on the site to the delete button. So I changed my Facebook user name to a fake name.

Here's the funny thing: Somehow, my iPhone also changed my name to the fake Facebook name. I do not have the Facebook app on my iPhone.

So now my iPhone thinks I am the fake name I changed it to on Facebook. Facebook must gave its tentacles into everything. I hope it doesn't change my bank account to the fake name.
Last edited by grayfox on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Marjimmy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm
I deactivated it at one point and time but came back for unbeknownst reasons. My biggest thing would be loosing all the photos on it... Anyone know of a way to save all albums / photos quickly?

Then I'll delete for good :twisted:
sunny-socal mentioned this above. Just google "Archive Facebook" for instructions. One set:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/18 ... k-archive/

Note however that if you took any photos you should have archived the originals versus using facebook as a photo storage spot. When you upload to facebook they change the resolution and jpeg compression level rendering the photos into poor quality versus what you started with.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Best Facebook post I've seen in the last 24 hours:

"I'm beginning to question whether it was worth it to give Facebook all my personal data just so I can see what my old friends from High School are having for dinner."
Last edited by spectec on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm

No.

Facebook is an amazing tool. Share photos and videos, plan events, messaging service, market place.

I see this mostly as paranoia, politics.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

The irony in all this is that all of you so concerned about privacy and security probably are online every day. Probably are tracked by grocery stores, your phone, and banks and amazon and google.

No one has to be on Facebook and many may not want to be. I would imagine this site skews a bit older so probably more on off social media than on it.

However, it is an illusion to believe if you are off Facebook or any social media you still don't have privacy issue, unless you are a Jack Reacher type and off the grid completely.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Yep - deleted FB about 7 months ago - couldn't be happier. It is a complete waste of time - too many political and bragging posts.

I found that anytime I wanted to post something - it would be a brag - and I'd regret it.

I think of FB as talking to yourself (but trying to get feedback from others) - Ex you are out shopping - something stupid occurs - you think to yourself - I should post this - then you do.

I'd like to keep my own internal conversations to myself.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm
The irony in all this is that all of you so concerned about privacy and security probably are online every day. Probably are tracked by grocery stores, your phone, and banks and amazon and google.

No one has to be on Facebook and many may not want to be. I would imagine this site skews a bit older so probably more on off social media than on it.

However, it is an illusion to believe if you are off Facebook or any social media you still don't have privacy issue, unless you are a Jack Reacher type and off the grid completely.
This argument always comes up when FB is questioned. Kills me.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm

As I said, anyone is free to be on it or not be on it. I see valid reasons for both. The current hue and cry is about privacy and selling your personal info, I am just making a point deleting Facebook will do little about that .

I hope it doesn't kill you. :wink: :beer

rebellovw wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 pm
Jcraz13 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

This argument always comes up when FB is questioned. Kills me.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Snowjob wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm
No.

Facebook is an amazing tool. Share photos and videos, plan events, messaging service, market place.

"it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you"

The problems with data collection are very real. Of course, as consumers we make individual choices about the privacy mix we value. At least, until differential privacy takes off (or is legally mandated). (as an aside, along with "homomorphic encryption" and "deniable encryption" these are the CS things I am most excited about in the coming years).

On the ohter side we have:
CULater wrote:Never used it because it occurred to me that there would be a lot of my personal information out there that might get misused. Not brain surgery is it? But it must be, since millions of people apparently couldn't figure that out.
It strikes me that some people gravitate towards neither extreme but are still privacy-conscious in how they use these platforms for their purposes (similar to how I outlined my preferences and strategies above).
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Another one here who has never had a Facebook account in the first place.
Stay on target...

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Nope, not deleting it. It took a while blocking / banning / ignoring people, but now I have it set to an appropriate mixture of cat photos, baby pictures, and humerus memes.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Facebook account? Twitter account? I have nothing to delete. Just like the 7-UP, never had it, never will. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Why would I delete it?

Everything I share with my friends on FB, I'd be fine if everyone in the world knew. Nearly everything I do on the internet I'd be fine if everyone in the world knew. For the other times, I use a VPN.

Should I be scared that FB is going to send me focused advertising? The more they know about me the better, I'd rather see the advertising actually get it right then send a 55 year old man an ad about breast enhancement.

I'm more worried about those small web sites that no one has a clue how they are using your internet history.

What exactly are people worried about FB knowing and sharing? I have a feeling that some of the same people who are worried about FB are the same ones that use the same password for every site they visit.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

I also HEAVILY use it for the marketplace feature. It is becoming just as good as Craigslist in our area for buying and selling.
+1

I had a 2000 Civic car that I needed to sell. I posted it on Craigslist, not even a single call for days. I posted it on Facebook, within a week I got 3 potential buyers who tested it, and the third one bought it with my list price!

Facebook also helped me choosing who I am going to interact with, since I was able to inspect their profiles (pictures, bad/decent language in comments..etc) in advance.
For example, I was ignoring those young teens with so many tattoos and huge nickles around their nicks who were cursing all the time their friends in the comments! Not saying they are necessary bad people, but I didn't want a (so much enthusiastic to life) teen to test drive my car (Same reason Auto insurance companies give them higher rates I guess)! A family guy/woman with kids was my perfect audience, and noway craigslist would show me this.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 pm

i deleted facebook last year and life is so much better since i waste way less time

it is sad that a lot of young smart people to work for facebook and try to get other people waste a little more of their time everyday
Stay the course! | | Californians can save energy, reduce emission and get paid by signing up with ohm. | | https://ohm.co/sunspotzsz

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm

sunspotzsz wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 pm
i deleted facebook last year and life is so much better since i waste way less time

it is sad that a lot of young smart people to work for facebook and try to get other people waste a little more of their time everyday
And yet here we are on Bogleheads having discussions (similar to discussions many have in Facebook posts) :)
Many argue it isn't a waste of time. Many use it to build business relationship and drive products/services.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Out of curiosity - for those of you the recently decided to delete your Facebook account due to privacy issues - are you also deleting all your other accounts and services? (Amazon, Yahoo, Google, NetFlix, Apple, etc. - they are all collecting as much data as they can on you - it isn't just Facebook - they all have excessively large big-data archives).

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

grayfox wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm
I also deleted all my pictures and posts about 2 years ago. I tried to delete the account, but couldn't figure out how. I don't think there is a link on the site to the delete button. So I changed my Facebook user name to a fake name.

Here's the funny thing: Somehow, my iPhone also changed my name to the fake Facebook name. I do not have the Facebook app on my iPhone.

So now my iPhone thinks I am the fake name I changed it to on Facebook. Facebook must gave its tentacles into everything. I hope it doesn't change my bank account to the fake name.
Apples got its tentacles in everything too. In this case - it isn't that Facebook did something - its that Apple did something. You need to delete your Apple account if this bothers you.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Beach

Post by Beach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I use it less and less. Only reason I keep it is to stay in touch with old friends since I recently moved away from my hometown, plus have quite a bit of photos. I saw an article yesterday on how to modify all of your settings to limit your exposure and took those precautions. I have no email or phone number listed any longer. If somebody wants to talk to you, they can write on your wall without messenger.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:11 pm

never used facebook and dont have an account, but what kind of personal infomation do they have that worries everyone?
Do they have more personal information than Equifax?
I guess the personal information plus SS of every working American who has a credit report with Equifax is already somewhere on the Web, it is a matter of a person knowing how to find the information and probably all the hackers do.

pejp

Post by pejp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm 35 so literally everyone I know is on facebook. I was on it for a few years, but deleted my account completely 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I genuinely think we have an impending mental health crisis due to social media and cell phone addiction.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes, but it had nothing to do with privacy and the recently discovered lack thereof. I'm solidly with Parker and Palihapitiya in thinking that it is an unhealthy social validation feedback loop and serves no real positive function. I feel that way about social media in general and eschew its use.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

queso wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:18 pm
Yes, but it had nothing to do with privacy and the recently discovered lack thereof. I'm solidly with Parker and Palihapitiya in thinking that it is an unhealthy social validation feedback loop and serves no real positive function. I feel that way about social media in general and eschew its use.
You do realize you are using it right now, right?

queso

Post by queso » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm
queso wrote:
By my definition I would disagree. I think there is an inherent difference between content driven forums and what I define as "social media". I have browsed a couple FB groups and those seem somewhat useful, but FB is a rather poor system for archiving and accessing content and previous posts and I found the search function lacking.
Last edited by queso on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I generally dislike Facebook and rarely use it and practically never post. I rarely read the completely inane personal newsfeed. But I’m not going to delete it. I keep an eye on what my kids post. It is a way to stay connected to friends and relatives.

You can customize some of the privacy settings. Beyond that I’m not sure what the big privacy issues are, at least in context with the society and technology we live in with less and less privacy by the day.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

queso wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm
oldfatguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm
queso wrote:
By my definition I would disagree. I think there is an inherent difference between content driven forums and what I define as "social media".
What is your definition?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Never used it. I have no interest in reading and posting a bunch of crap on the internet.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm

triceratop wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 pm
Snowjob wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm
No.

"it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you"

The problems with data collection are very real. Of course, as consumers we make individual choices about the privacy mix we value. At least, until differential privacy takes off (or is legally mandated). (as an aside, along with "homomorphic encryption" and "deniable encryption" these are the CS things I am most excited about in the coming years).
I worked with a gentleman who refused to use EZpass because the state could track his whereabouts and habits. I honestly put Facebook tracking in roughly the same bucket. Nothing bad is going to happen IMO. Institutions get hacked every day, I'd be more concerned about bank and credit card fraud where real damage is being done. I have yet to see any one link a widespread Facebook data breach to something harmful. The best I've seen so far is this argument of targeted fake political ads, but frankly almost every internet meme has something stretched and god if its political they are usually laughably skewed at best. If anything exposure to all this garbage makes you a better observer and critical thinker, maybe that's me but I just don't see anything yet.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Typical exchange on FB.

friend1: "You look great!"

friend2: "Thanks. Let's get together sometime."

Both are liars.

FB sucks- I'm embarrassed that I was once a user.
Funding secured