New York City Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Starper

Re: New York City Local Chapter established

Post by Starper »

deleted
Last edited by Starper on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tbonerazor

Post by Tbonerazor »

Oh! I just missed the March 22, 2018 meeting. Please let me know the next meeting.
BumbleBee88

Post by BumbleBee88 »

Hello! I just joined Bogleheads and would like to join the group as well :D
diyfihp

Post by diyfihp »

I am new to this group. I am very much interested to sign up for meet up. I live in central NJ. Please guide me. Thank you.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone!

It's time to schedule the next NYC Bogleheads meeting, which will be on a weekend. We had a great turnout at our last meeting - 19 people attended! It'd be great to keep up the momentum. I've created a poll to schedule the next meeting:

https://doodle.com/poll/g63bygiv8xuxd2d2

The location will be either the usual location, the Sony Atrium (550 Madison Ave), or we might try the recently opened Urbanspace at 570 Lexington Avenue & 51st St. It's a food hall with many vendors and a seating area upstairs. More info on their website: <https://www.urbanspacenyc.com/570-lexington/>. Please let me know if you have a preference!

We will probably start at 2 or 2:30pm. Please vote by next weekend!

You don't need to sign up in advance or anything. Just show up! If you'd like to join the Google group to get email notifications about scheduling, please go here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc

Thanks,
Alice
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

The May meeting will be on Sunday, May 20 @ 2pm at the Sony Atrium (550 Madison Ave). We usually sit near the 56th St entrance. Hope to see you there!
ETFication

Post by ETFication »

Hi @Flying Penguin ... I'm new to the site (minutes old) and interested in getting involved in the NYC chapter, meeting up with some people and talking finance and ideas in the area.

I'm 15 years into my career, mostly working in financial technology firms.
Just the last year decided to try to build something myself with the help of some financial engineers and software developers...
It VERY MUCH espouses the ideas in this site and community, so am looking to get more involved and brainstorm and share ideas.

Is there a seperate thread or group to know when NYC meets up? Or do we need to check back here to the boards and hope not to miss something?

Cheers, and looking forward to connecting w/ ppl.

Michael
Mr.Thankful

Post by Mr.Thankful »

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie investor interested in joining the NYC chapter.

Flying Penguin, I would love to share ideas and meet up with other bogleheads. If you could please let me know when the next meet up is I would appreciate it.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone, hope your summer is off to a great start! I've created a Doodle poll to schedule the July meeting (will be a weeknight). The start time will be 6:30pm, at our usual location - the Sony Atrium on 550 Madison Avenue.

https://doodle.com/poll/biirwbiarqvk46gt

Please vote by next weekend. Thanks!

---

@ETFication and @Mr.Thankful: Apologies for missing your posts! I didn't get an email notification for whatever reason. Welcome! Our meetings are usually every 2 months, and alternate between weekends and weeknights. I post the meeting information on this thread. There is also a Google group that you can join to get email notifications: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

The next NYC Bogleheads meeting will be on Thursday, July 19 at 6:30pm at the Sony Atrium (550 Madison Ave). We usually sit near the 56th St side. Hope to see you there!

Alice
BBA Chelsea

Post by BBA Chelsea »

Hello, I was unable to join the July 19th meeting. Will there be an August or September meeting? And if so, can you please post the date, time and meeting location. Thank you! Brooke
CentralPark

Post by CentralPark »

Good afternoon! I am new to NYC chapter and hope to attend Aug or Sept. Can I be added to contact list for upcoming meetings? Thank you!
Jkdman81

Post by Jkdman81 »

New here but would also be interested in a meet up
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone,

It's time to schedule our September meeting. It'll be on a weekend - our usual start time is 2:30pm. Please vote in the poll by next Wednesday.

https://doodle.com/poll/zc5mp2vmttdayq3c

The location will be the Signature Theater cafe seating area. The address is 480 West 42nd Street. After you enter the building through the glass doors, go up the staircase to the cafe area. This area is open to the public and there is plenty of seating.
https://www.signaturetheatre.org/Visit/Cafe-Bar.aspx

Thanks!
Alice

Note: There is a Google group that you can join to get email notifications: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

The next meeting will be on Saturday, Sep 15 @ 2:30pm at the Signature Theater cafe seating area. The address is 480 West 42nd Street. After you enter the building through the glass doors, go up the staircase to the cafe area. This area is open to the public and there is plenty of seating.

Hope to see you all there.
Alice
DrAdam

Post by DrAdam »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Are there any NYC area meetups happening this year?

Many thanks,
Adam
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

DrAdam wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:58 am Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Are there any NYC area meetups happening this year?

Many thanks,
Adam
See the post immediately above yours.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone,

We had a great turnout at the meeting yesterday - 16 people! Thanks to everyone who attended. Here are the websites/books/etc that were mentioned:

depositaccounts.com
www.i-orp.com
https://www.immediateannuities.com/
Trinity Study (source of 4% safe withdrawal rate)
Negotiation Genius by Malhotra & Bazerman
Influence by Cialdini
How Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes
Random Walk Down Wall Street
Enough by John Bogle
Thinking, Fast and Slow

The next meeting will be sometime in November on a weeknight. I'll send around a poll to schedule it closer to then.

We're going to try something new - if you'd like to, please post any topics that you want to cover at the next meeting. I will send a reminder a day or two before the meeting and list the topics that people want to discuss (though the meeting won't be limited to those topics, of course).

Thanks,
Alice
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

One topic I would like at the top of the list (we began some discussion)
and one I had earlier yesterday with Jordan:

Cyber security
yes the threat is real -- what can we realistically do to enhance our security
(so they go after other people instead)

From a few articles read the three main areas seem to be:

1. freeze your credit reports - not just the three main ones
2. check online at least weekly for all your vulnerable accounts
3. have a strong password manager - (though Jordan may disagree).

and to add my own.
Limit information sharing on all social platforms -- maybe just to certain people
(if that)
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi all,

Exciting news! One of our members, Jordan, has graciously volunteered to create a website for us. It's still a work in progress, but please let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

https://nycbogleheads.neocities.org/

Thanks!
Alice
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I'm in Brooklyn and I'm also interested!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi all,

I'm excited to announce that the next NYC Bogleheads meeting will be on Tuesday, November 27, featuring a special guest - a leading book author and columnist. More details will be announced closer to the date, but it will be in Manhattan and will probably start at 6pm. Please save the date!

Alice
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Flying Penquin

any details to share?

I would love to attend
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Update on the next NYC meeting: The date has been tentatively moved to Wed, Dec 12. The location is TBD. I will post an update once things are confirmed.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hello All,

Our next meeting is confirmed:
Wed., 12/12/18, 6pm (no meeting on Tues., 11/27)
Location: Capital One - Union Square, southwest corner of 14th St and Broadway
Lower level Community Room.

Guest speaker: Jonathan Clements
- Former WSJ columnist, author of multiple personal finance books and founder of HumbleDollar.com
https://humbledollar.com/about/jonathan-clements/

Jonathan is happy to sign books at the meeting.
Jonathan will have some opening comments after which we'll open it up for Q&A.
Please arrive a few minutes early if possible so that we can get started on time and minimize disruptions.
boggo

Post by boggo »

I had a great time at the last meeting. Thanks for organizing.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

Jonathan Clements was great! When is the next meeting?
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Carol88888 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 am Jonathan Clements was great! When is the next meeting?
Indeed, I think some of the organizers were seeking a space to host for future events, if someone has a public or community space it could work.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi all,

Please vote in the Doodle poll for the next NYC Bogleheads meeting in Feb or March, by next weekend. It'll be a weekend meeting. Thanks!

https://doodle.com/poll/2awbrcvx43wimyeh

Alice
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

The next meeting will be on Sunday, Feb 17 at 2:30pm at the Signature Theater cafe seating area. The address is 480 West 42nd Street. After you enter the building through the glass doors, go up the staircase to the cafe area. This area is open to the public and there is plenty of seating.
JD Leonard

Post by JD Leonard »

This was the first meeting I attended and it was very enjoyable. Thank you to the organizers and attendees!
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I was at the meeting and also had a great time. As always, there was a wide variety of ages, income, philosophies, etc.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
7th_Diagram

Post by 7th_Diagram »

I will have to make the next one.
"You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged,and many of them are so injured, so hopelessly dependent upon the system, that they will fight to protect it." | ~Morpheus
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi all,

Based on feedback from the last meeting, I propose trying a new format for the next meeting, where the first hour will be a group discussion (like all past meetings) and the second hour will have breakout groups. During the first hour, we'll poll everyone for topics for the breakout sessions and pick the top 4 or so (depending on how many people attend). Each breakout group will start with one of the topics and can then take its own direction. Let me know if you have any suggestions on this idea - you can reply to just me or to the whole group.

We're planning on having the next meeting at the Capital One community room in Union Square that we used for our December meeting. That space has much better acoustics. We need to book the room in advance, so I've created a Doodle poll for weeknights in April. Please vote in the poll by next weekend.

<https://doodle.com/poll/vg3ytki2vwhebcxp>

Thanks,
Alice
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone,

Please mark your calendars for the next NYC Bogleheads meeting on Tuesday, April 23, 6-8pm.

Location: Capital One cafe building @ 853 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 (southwest corner of 14th St and Broadway)
Lower level community room
(The street level is the Capital One Cafe. Walk to the back where there's a staircase to go down to the lower level.)

We're going to try out a new format: the first hour will be a group discussion (like all past meetings) and the second hour will have breakout groups. During the first hour, we'll poll everyone for topics for the breakout sessions and pick the top 4 or so (depending on how many people attend). Each breakout group will start with one of the topics and can then take its own direction.

Hope to see you there!

Alice
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

all this is not BH related but I saw this posted on EventBrite, I thought people would be interested

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/soho-forum ... destsearch

Description

Monday, June 17, 2019

Teresa Ghilarducci vs. Gene Epstein

Resolution:

The Social Security system can’t add to the federal deficit

For the affirmative:

Teresa Ghilarducci holds the Bernard L. and Irene Schwartz Chair in Economic Policy Analysis at the New School in New York. In books published by Princeton University Press, MIT University Press and in a new book by Columbia University Press, co authored with Tony James (Blackstone Group) she has argued the current financialized pension system destabilizes the macro economy and fails to provide equitable, adequate and efficiently delivered retirement income. Her research areas concern automatic stabilizers, financialization, and labor market dynamics. Ghilarducci holds a Ph.D from the University of California Berkeley. And 2007 to 2009, Wurf fellow at the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School. Ghilarducci has been a court appointed trustee to the UAW Medical Trust Board which manages $60 billion for over 800,000 members since 2009.

For the negative:

Gene Epstein has recently stepped down from a 26-year stint as Economics and Books Editor of Barron's, with plans to write long-form articles and books. His last published book was Econospinning: How to Read between the Lines when the Media Manipulate the Numbers.He has taught economics at the City University of New York and St. John’s University, and worked as a senior economist for the New York Stock Exchange. He's appeared on podcasts that include Russ Roberts’ “EconTalk," "The Tom Woods Show,” and the Reason podcast, and has delivered lectures in venues that include the International House in Tokyo; Loyola University in Baltimore; Universidad Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala City; the Romanian-American University in Bucharest; and the American Center in Moscow. He is Executive Director and moderator of the Soho Forum, and also an occasional debater.

Cash bar opens: 5:45pm

Meeting convenes: 6:30pm

Reception: 8:15pm

Tickets must be reserved in advance.

Date and Time

Mon, June 17, 2019

6:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT

Add to Calendar
Subculture Theater

45 Bleecker St

New York, New York 10012

View Map
Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone! Please vote in this poll to schedule the next NYC BH meeting by next Wednesday, July 3rd. The meeting location will likely be the Capital One Cafe near Union Square again.

https://doodle.com/poll/p8hfcihm4wa9qn3u
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm all this is not BH related but I saw this posted on EventBrite, I thought people would be interested

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/soho-forum ... destsearch

Description

Monday, June 17, 2019

Teresa Ghilarducci vs. Gene Epstein

Resolution:

The Social Security system can’t add to the federal deficit

For the affirmative:

Teresa Ghilarducci holds the Bernard L. and Irene Schwartz Chair in Economic Policy Analysis at the New School in New York. In books published by Princeton University Press, MIT University Press and in a new book by Columbia University Press, co authored with Tony James (Blackstone Group) she has argued the current financialized pension system destabilizes the macro economy and fails to provide equitable, adequate and efficiently delivered retirement income. Her research areas concern automatic stabilizers, financialization, and labor market dynamics. Ghilarducci holds a Ph.D from the University of California Berkeley. And 2007 to 2009, Wurf fellow at the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School. Ghilarducci has been a court appointed trustee to the UAW Medical Trust Board which manages $60 billion for over 800,000 members since 2009.

For the negative:

Gene Epstein has recently stepped down from a 26-year stint as Economics and Books Editor of Barron's, with plans to write long-form articles and books. His last published book was Econospinning: How to Read between the Lines when the Media Manipulate the Numbers.He has taught economics at the City University of New York and St. John’s University, and worked as a senior economist for the New York Stock Exchange. He's appeared on podcasts that include Russ Roberts’ “EconTalk," "The Tom Woods Show,” and the Reason podcast, and has delivered lectures in venues that include the International House in Tokyo; Loyola University in Baltimore; Universidad Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala City; the Romanian-American University in Bucharest; and the American Center in Moscow. He is Executive Director and moderator of the Soho Forum, and also an occasional debater.

Cash bar opens: 5:45pm

Meeting convenes: 6:30pm

Reception: 8:15pm

Tickets must be reserved in advance.

Date and Time

Mon, June 17, 2019

6:30 PM – 9:00 PM EDT

Add to Calendar
Subculture Theater

45 Bleecker St

New York, New York 10012

View Map
Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.

Saw this event too late -- but some of the other events seem interesting.
Thanks
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Here are the details for our next meeting:
  • Date: Sunday, July 21
  • Time: 2pm (venue closes at 6pm)
  • Location: Signature Theater cafe seating area, 480 West 42nd Street
  • After you enter the building through the glass doors, go up the staircase to the cafe area. This area is open to the public and there is plenty of seating. https://www.signaturetheatre.org/Visit/Cafe-Bar.aspx
Hope to see you all there!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I live in NYC about a third of the time. I would be interested in attending future meetings if I am in the city. I will be away for the July meeting.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

Flying Penguin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 pm Here are the details for our next meeting:
  • After you enter the building through the glass doors, go up the staircase to the cafe area. This area is open to the public and there is plenty of seating. https://www.signaturetheatre.org/Visit/Cafe-Bar.aspx
Flying Penguin - I am Philadelphia Boglehead that may be in NYC the day of your meet-up. Would it be acceptable if I attended?
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Oakwood42 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 pm
Flying Penguin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 pm Here are the details for our next meeting:
Flying Penguin - I am Philadelphia Boglehead that may be in NYC the day of your meet-up. Would it be acceptable if I attended?
So sorry for the late response! Of course you're welcome. Our meetings are open for everyone to attend. :)
Donjediondo51

Post by Donjediondo51 »

Hi there! I am the newest member And I would like to joint your chapter. Are your meetings posted on the web? I live in Staten Island and work in lower Manhattan. Thank you.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi all, please vote on this poll to schedule the next weeknight Bogleheads meeting. We're trying to get the Capital One Cafe space in Union Square again. Please vote in the next week. Thanks!

https://doodle.com/poll/ad2rsdsxsf367zzt
Donjediondo51 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm Hi there! I am the newest member And I would like to joint your chapter. Are your meetings posted on the web? I live in Staten Island and work in lower Manhattan. Thank you.
Welcome! Yes, our meetings will be posted in this thread. You can also join our Google group to get email notifications: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone,

Our next meeting will be a joint Bogleheads/Mr. Money Mustache meetup featuring guest speaker Massimo Pigliucci, Professor of Philsophy at CUNY-City College, with a 30-45 minute talk on Stoicism.

Stoicism can be helpful when applied to personal finance and life in that it advises us to:
Focus on what is in our control;
Appreciate what we have more than feeling misery over what we don't have;
Focus on putting in your best effort rather than defining success by the outcome;
Focus on controlling our reaction rather than letting an outcome define our experience.
(more on Massimo at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimo_Pigliucci)

Date: Wednesday, November 13
Time: 6-7:30pm
Location: Capital One cafe building @ 853 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 (southwest corner of 14th St and Broadway)
Lower level community room
(The street level is the Capital One Cafe. Walk to the interior glass door along the side wall where there's a staircase to go down to the lower level.)

Hope to see you there!
Piplup1996

Post by Piplup1996 »

Flying Penguin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:29 pm Hi all, please vote on this poll to schedule the next weeknight Bogleheads meeting. We're trying to get the Capital One Cafe space in Union Square again. Please vote in the next week. Thanks!

https://doodle.com/poll/ad2rsdsxsf367zzt
Donjediondo51 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm Hi there! I am the newest member And I would like to joint your chapter. Are your meetings posted on the web? I live in Staten Island and work in lower Manhattan. Thank you.
Welcome! Yes, our meetings will be posted in this thread. You can also join our Google group to get email notifications: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc
how do i gain permission to join the group?
georgepef

Post by georgepef »

I too would like to know how do I get permission to join. Thanks!
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

I just changed a setting on the Google group. Hopefully you all should be able to access it and join now:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boglehead-nyc
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Hi everyone, please vote in this poll for our next weeknight meeting in Feb/Mar. It will be 6-7:30pm likely in the Capital One Cafe.

https://doodle.com/poll/wdyidu3msmnzktx6
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I will be in NYC in early March (3 to 8) and late March (23 to 31) and signed in Doodle for early March.

I liked Massimo Pigliucci's podcast Rationally Speaking. It's too bad, I could not meet him in person,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)