2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE SOLD OUT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Theseus

Re: 2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE SOLD OUT

Post by Theseus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:25 pm

I went last year and decided to stay out. Not sure how much all the helps considering the demand.

nance

Post by nance » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Please add me to the waiting list.

Thanks

Next year, consider adding capacity..

x

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Nothing keeping anyone from organizing their own conference. You might even get some "big names" to come.
I suggest inviting Larry Swedroe to the fireside chat of the alt Bogleheads conference. It's the least we can do since we discuss him every day.

digarei

Post by digarei » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm

It is unrealistic to expect the same "big names" would come, but it might be fun anyway.

It would be a lovely idea--but I am not volunteering to organize. Just sayin' :D
Nothing keeping anyone from organizing their own conference. You might even get some "big names" to come.

Having done it, however, I can warn you it is a lot of work, especially the first time, and there is a fair amount of financial risk involved.
Our chapter has been considering the viability of a west coast regional conference for a couple of years now. This will be a topic at our next leadership meeting. There are a number of chapters in the West that appear to be growing in size and could provide a base for a large gathering.

I’d be interested in hearing about your experience organizing such an event.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I was lucky to get in. This is going to be my first year.
I hope a bigger venue is chosen for the coming years.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm

dodecahedron wrote:

It is unrealistic to expect the same "big names" would come, but it might be fun anyway.

It would be a lovely idea--but I am not volunteering to organize. Just sayin' :D

Having done it, however, I can warn you it is a lot of work, especially the first time, and there is a fair amount of financial risk involved.
I have actually organized some pretty big events on a shoestring, larger in scale than Bogleheads conference (twice the size--and some of them had even larger logistical issues because they involved teens and chaperones.)

I think a consolation Bogleheads gathering could be done on a shoestring even more easily than those, but I know what's involved and don't have time or energy to do it. Too many other commitments, especially this year.

But a rustic Adirondack potluck gathering in a place like Lake Placid could be done more inexpensively than a Philadelphia gathering. People so inclined could camp. There are hostels for folks like Victoria who like those. Also inexpensive cabins for rent. Lake Placid accommodations possibilities here. No tours of Vanguard of course but incredible mountain vistas.

And Jack Bogle is chair emeritus of an organization called Lake Placid Institute which sponsors an Adirondack Roundtable at which he has spoken in 2013 and 2016. Maybe he will speak again in 2019. I will keep an eye out.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Just missed it again.

Please add me to the waiting list.

thanks
Silvana

x

Katietsu

Re: 2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Katietsu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 pm

So close. I tried at exactly 11:44 last night. Does that make me first on the waiting list? :happy .

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Please add me and my wife to the waiting list.

Thanks!

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:58 pm
Oh well. I didn't see this until now and I was really looking forward to attending my first one on the 20th anniversary of my retirement. (Oct 2, 1998 was the actual anniversary.) Sigh.......
That's too bad Sheepdog. Maybe next year for both of us. I am sure I am not just speaking for myself in saying that many Bogleheads would enjoy meeting you.
That was a very special comment from you. Thank you so very much. I, too, was looking forward to meeting everyone I could, shaking their hands, and maybe sharing a Manhattan or Scotch or Coke or coffee, but especially seeing their smiles and they seeing mine.
Jim
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Cantrip

Post by Cantrip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 am

Had friends over for dinner last night. Add me to the waiting list. Thanks :)

willie838

Post by willie838 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 am

just like last year.....

log on within a day or two after announcement

and find tickets sold out.

can i please just buy a ticket to 2019 so this doesn't happen for a third year in a row to me

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm

willie838 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 am
just like last year.....

log on within a day or two after announcement

and find tickets sold out.

can i please just buy a ticket to 2019 so this doesn't happen for a third year in a row to me
Seeing this happen year after year, I wonder about the reasons for not increasing significantly (say 50% or 100%) the number of attendees.

Boglesmind

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Regarding questions about making the conference bigger, Mel Lindauer posted this after last year's conference.

Subject: 2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 am
Obviously we could sell out a much larger venue, but we prefer a smaller group (200) where attendees get a chance to interact with Jack Bogle and the authors and experts in attendance rather than a larger, impersonal gathering.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

prudent wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:15 pm
Regarding questions about making the conference bigger, Mel Lindauer posted this after last year's conference.

Subject: 2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 am
Obviously we could sell out a much larger venue, but we prefer a smaller group (200) where attendees get a chance to interact with Jack Bogle and the authors and experts in attendance rather than a larger, impersonal gathering.
Yep, that's the reason.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Mel et al,

I have previously attended and thoroughly enjoyed myself and learned lots. The small group size is a plus for this event.

Having said that and given the quick sellout the past few years and the large and growing size of the Bogleheads community, might I suggest for future events some consideration be given to capping the number of returning attendees to ensure that a known number of newcomers get the opportunity to attend.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm
Mel et al,

I have previously attended and thoroughly enjoyed myself and learned lots. The small group size is a plus for this event.

Having said that and given the quick sellout the past few years and the large and growing size of the Bogleheads community, might I suggest for future events some consideration be given to capping the number of returning attendees to ensure that a known number of newcomers get the opportunity to attend.
I was about to suggest something similar but P_I beat me to it and said it better.

I wonder what percentage of the people who did manage to get a reservation to this year's event are first-time attendees.

If that number is small then it seems to me that some sort of preference should be made to help first-timers get seats. The intent is for "attendees [to] get a chance to interact with Jack Bogle and the authors and experts in attendance." This is a privilege and experience that more people should have.

Forums such as this can be rather impersonal since participants tend to post anonymously and rarely meet personally. Giving more people a chance to attend for the first time and to meet face-to-face some of the people with whom they've interacted on the forum will also help make stronger connections within this online community.

BillyG

Post by BillyG » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I missed it too. I was running a meeting all day and into the evening when the announcement came out and it was sold out by the time I was able to read my emails. Oh well.
Billy

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Wow - previous attendee x 2 and this is the first time seeing this notice since it has been a busy work week. Please add me to the wait list if one arises. Thank you.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 pm
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm
Mel et al,

I was about to suggest something similar but P_I beat me to it and said it better.

I wonder what percentage of the people who did manage to get a reservation to this year's event are first-time attendees.

If that number is small then it seems to me that some sort of preference should be made to help first-timers get seats. The intent is for "attendees [to] get a chance to interact with Jack Bogle and the authors and experts in attendance." This is a privilege and experience that more people should have.

Forums such as this can be rather impersonal since participants tend to post anonymously and rarely meet personally. Giving more people a chance to attend for the first time and to meet face-to-face some of the people with whom they've interacted on the forum will also help make stronger connections within this online community.
I was thinking also if maybe there would be a lottery against such a cap to help spread out the previous attendees too vs. first come, first serve.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 pm

How about live streaming the signature sessions?

If necessary, registration would be required, and we could pay a fee to offset costs.

Everybody does it, so why not the Bogleheads?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Flobes wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 pm
How about live streaming the signature sessions?

If necessary, registration would be required, and we could pay a fee to offset costs.

Everybody does it, so why not the Bogleheads?
Does it have to be live? The same people who were too busy to sign up in time might be busy again doing something else. I know I would likely have work conflicts at least part of the time. But your post reminded me that somewhere in my todo list is an entry for watching the videos from the 2017 conference.

viewtopic.php?t=230441

Direct link to Vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/videos

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 pm

FYI, the percentage of new attendees has been pretty constant at ~40% from year to year.

DartThrower

Re: 2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by DartThrower » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 am

rvs323 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm
Having been able to attend in 2016 and 2017, we would love to join you again this year; however, we decided after last year’s conference we would sit out this year so some other newbies could attend. It was truly an eye opening and life changing event for us and we hope whoever takes our places this year have the same experience. Perhaps we’ll see all of you again in 2019!
Similar situation here. I have attended several of these wonderful conferences and learned so much. It is only fair to give other people a chance to go so I will skip this year, but I will be with you all in spirit. :sharebeer
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational. It's impossible to have a bubble in common sense.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 am

Could we check into the feasibility of broadcasting one or two of the recorded sessions live?

It would be nice if the boglehead chapters created events around the sessions.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

I would like to be added to any waiting list, regardless of how long it has grown.

I second the many great suggestions already made up the thread.

If a second or alternative conference is planned, I am interested.

Actually, are there any other groups that hold similar personal finance conferences?

The one that comes to mind is ChooseFI, although I believe the demographics may skew to under 35. Nothing wrong with that, just mentioning it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm
I was thinking also if maybe there would be a lottery against such a cap to help spread out the previous attendees too vs. first come, first serve.
A full attendance lottery would be a bit much though. I'm just a random stranger on the Internet, but perhaps a hybrid approach would work best. Say the first 150 seats are first come, first served, but the remaining 50 seats are a lottery for those who sign up by a specific deadline. Those who can constantly refresh the forum for the first week of March looking for the announcement would still be able to snag a seat and those who don't have that luxury (such as myself, this time of year is usually 10+ hour work days, so I've been very light on forum participation recently) would still have a chance of attending.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:03 pm

TresBelle65 wrote: Actually, are there any other groups that hold similar personal finance conferences?
While not a "conference," there are many Bogleheads Local Chapters that meet to discuss personal finance. Some are more active than others, it takes people to make them happen and work. And if you are not close to a local chapter, there is our Virtual On-Line chapter that meets every few months, in fact the next meeting is this coming Tuesday, Mar 13 at 8:00 pm Eastern time.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=126449 - Virtual On-Line chapter
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778 - Bogleheads Local Chapters

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

digarei wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm
dodecahedron wrote:

Our chapter has been considering the viability of a west coast regional conference for a couple of years now. This will be a topic at our next leadership meeting. There are a number of chapters in the West that appear to be growing in size and could provide a base for a large gathering.

Why are you worried about being able to fill it? This one sold out in a couple of hours. Apparently there are plenty of Bogleheads willing to come to conferences. If you have the energy and desire to do it, go for it.

We just got done running the first ever "Physician Wellness and Financial Literacy Conference" in Park City last week. It featured some "big names" like Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, and Mike Piper and sold out in 6 days and had excellent reviews-100% of respondents felt it was a good value for their time and money and would recommend it to their peers.

I don't know if we'll do it again though. We're still recovering from this one. It's a lot of stress and work.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

digarei

Post by digarei » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm
digarei wrote:

Why are you worried about being able to fill it? This one sold out in a couple of hours. Apparently there are plenty of Bogleheads willing to come to conferences. If you have the energy and desire to do it, go for it.

We just got done running the first ever "Physician Wellness and Financial Literacy Conference" in Park City last week. It featured some "big names" like Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, and Mike Piper and sold out in 6 days and had excellent reviews-100% of respondents felt it was a good value for their time and money and would recommend it to their peers.

I don't know if we'll do it again though. We're still recovering from this one. It's a lot of stress and work.
Thanks. We’re still in the earliest of planning stages... our (broader) target audience would be unlikely to pay $600 a person for a two day conference w/breakfast plus $250 per night for hotel. Were speakers paid an honorarium or appearance fee/provided accommodations?

We want to work out some of the details before approaching other chapters.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Please add me to the waitlist as well.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:12 pm

probably a long shot at this point, but please add me to the waitlist.
Thanks!
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm
BrandonBogle wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm
A full attendance lottery would be a bit much though. I'm just a random stranger on the Internet, but perhaps a hybrid approach would work best. Say the first 150 seats are first come, first served, but the remaining 50 seats are a lottery for those who sign up by a specific deadline. Those who can constantly refresh the forum for the first week of March looking for the announcement would still be able to snag a seat and those who don't have that luxury (such as myself, this time of year is usually 10+ hour work days, so I've been very light on forum participation recently) would still have a chance of attending.
I like that idea. I should clarify though that I didn’t mean a full attendance lottery. I meant previous attendees be limited to X spots, then have a lottery amongst the previous attendees for filling X. Then when it opens to everyone, first come, first served.

That said, either would work. I’m lucky to be going this year and would attend every year if I could, but if another Bogleheads gets even half as much from the conference as I did, I’ll just be happy that someone else gets to go in years I don’t get a spot.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 am

People are fast here. I’d like to get on the waiting list - for 2019.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:35 am

I have been to several conferences and have brought newbies with me in the past. I considered not going this year, but had a request from a newbie who would not attend if I did not attend. So we are 50:50 returnee and newbie.

Had I learned about the White Coat Investor Conference, I might have gone and combined it with a visit to a rancher friend who invited us to Colorado for free white water rafting trip. When I was still practicing I distributed a few of James Dahle's book to other physicians. I read Mike Piper's and also Clements' sites regularly.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am

Several posts have touched on the huge amount of work and stress involved planning and managing these events.

Is this not what event planning firms are for?

I am not familiar with how much they charge, but if their fees were rolled into the price per attendee, I am guessing many would still find it cost effective.

That might speak to the issue of opening it to a greater number, surely those folks might be experts in how not to lose the sense of community involved in these conferences.

Just a thought.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 pm

digarei wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:36 pm
digarei wrote:

Thanks. We’re still in the earliest of planning stages... our (broader) target audience would be unlikely to pay $600 a person for a two day conference w/breakfast plus $250 per night for hotel. Were speakers paid an honorarium or appearance fee/provided accommodations?

I generally don't speak for free so I felt it was important to pay the speakers as a matter of principle, especially since my conference like almost everything I do with my business was a for-profit venture. Truthfully, none of them needed the money and none were paid what they were worth (I was actually limited in what I could pay them due to CME rules). We also covered all their expenses.

Without paying speakers and being careful with what is spent on food (huge expense), you can likely break even with a much lower fee than we charged. And of course, if you avoid a destination location/time of year, the hotel can be much cheaper than Park City in March.

Note that this is NOT the way the Bogleheads conference is generally run. Not only do the speakers volunteer their time, but they pay their own expenses including the conference registration. So if you're trying to do "Bogleheads West," you might want to mirror that a bit. Better get permission too, since "Bogleheads" itself is a trademark.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am
Several posts have touched on the huge amount of work and stress involved planning and managing these events.

I am not familiar with how much they charge, but if their fees were rolled into the price per attendee, I am guessing many would still find it cost effective.
Yes. That is what they're for. But when doing something for the first time, you don't know if you're going to get 3, 30, 300, or 3000 people interested, so limiting your potential financial losses seems prudent. Plus, when you put your brand/name/reputation on something, you want it to be excellent so you want to control as much of it as you can.

We would likely use one of those firms if we ever do it again.

digarei

Post by digarei » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 pm
digarei wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:36 pm
digarei wrote:

I generally don't speak for free so I felt it was important to pay the speakers as a matter of principle, especially since my conference like almost everything I do with my business was a for-profit venture. Truthfully, none of them needed the money and none were paid what they were worth (I was actually limited in what I could pay them due to CME rules). We also covered all their expenses.

Without paying speakers and being careful with what is spent on food (huge expense), you can likely break even with a much lower fee than we charged. And of course, if you avoid a destination location/time of year, the hotel can be much cheaper than Park City in March.

Note that this is NOT the way the Bogleheads conference is generally run. Not only do the speakers volunteer their time, but they pay their own expenses including the conference registration. So if you're trying to do "Bogleheads West," you might want to mirror that a bit. Better get permission too, since "Bogleheads" itself is a trademark.
Thanks. This is helpful.

teegjo

Post by teegjo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Please add me to the waitlist. Thanks.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:28 am

TresBelle65 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am

That might speak to the issue of opening it to a greater number, surely those folks might be experts in how not to lose the sense of community involved in these conferences.

Just a thought.
I have planned and managed several national conferences that had hundreds of attendees. It is stressful and requires a lot of work. Also, you may not be sure whether you make a profit, lose money or breakeven until the event is over. In Boglehead fashion we were DIYers except for one time that we used an event planner. It was a bad mistake as her primary interest was to increase our event cost so she could increase her commission. The host hotel and the main attraction we used both said they would have much preferred dealing directly with us and it would have cost less too. In fairness, I am sure there are good event planner who are worth their fee. Perhaps this is analogous to financial advisers. Some are worth it and the rest just churn fees.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:51 am

Hmmmm....it seems there is a pattern forming. If the conference is sold out every year, need to find a more appropriate venue to increase participation. I'd like to go, and there is no good reason why we shouldn't be able to accommodate. The combined intelligence of the forum is astounding and if we can't solve this problem it's due to an unwillingness to expand.

One suggestion, elicit a pre-sale or send out a solicitation to gauge interest at the end of 2018 to understand conference demand for 2019. You can then target an appropriate venue, get right number of volunteers, etc...

Hope we'll look at this for next year.
Last edited by ChowYunPhat on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

pondering

Post by pondering » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:51 am
Hmmmm....it seems there is a pattern forming. If the conference is sold out every year, need to find a more appropriate venue to increase participation. I'd like to go, and there is no good reason why we shouldn't be able to accommodate. The combined intelligence of the forum is astounding and if we can't solve this problem it's due to laziness or an unwillingness to expand.

One suggestion, elicit a pre-sale or send out a solicitation to gauge interest at the end of 2018 to understand conference demand for 2019. You can then target an appropriate venue, get right number of volunteers, etc...

The limit is how many people John Bogle can comfortably engage with.

The system for getting a ticket is just as good as any other given there is a realistic cap to the number of seats the main attraction of the event can handle.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm

pondering wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm
ChowYunPhat wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:51 am
Hmmmm....it seems there is a pattern forming. If the conference is sold out every year, need to find a more appropriate venue to increase participation. I'd like to go, and there is no good reason why we shouldn't be able to accommodate. The combined intelligence of the forum is astounding and if we can't solve this problem it's due to laziness or an unwillingness to expand.

The limit is how many people John Bogle can comfortably engage with.

The system for getting a ticket is just as good as any other given there is a realistic cap to the number of seats the main attraction of the event can handle.
Laziness is an unfair accusation for anyone to lay on the organizers, who are all volunteers who pay their own expenses and give their time generously to create a wonderful gathering at relatively modest cost, largely made possible by the enormous amount of volunteer time that goes into creating it. Unwillingness to expand on the organizers part is reasonable--it is more than enough work for its current size. Jack Bogle's energy, time, and health are limited precious resources, keeping it at a scale which he finds rewarding and manageable needs to be a priority. The organizers do arrange for videos to be shared on the web. Shopping for a larger venue would be time-consuming and would likely increase the cost in travel time and money of providing the Vanguard-hosted component of the gathering.

Anyone who thinks the organizers are "lazy" is welcome to attempt to organize their own gathering.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks to those who organize the conference. I have attended twice and decided to give others the opportunity to attend.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 am

Apologies as my response came across a bit harsh. I didn't realize the participation cap was set with Mr Bogle in mind. That's appreciated.

Appreciation to the organizers as well...I know it takes work to pull together a conference event and keep things fresh. My frustration lies with the inability to attend and hoping there is a way to expand seating. One other suggestion, perhaps splitting the conference in two pieces where you have a larger conference setting (Bernstein and other speakers) and then a smaller venue (participants pay extra fee or we continue with first come first served concept) with Mr Bogle?

The conference seems a worthwhile event, and maybe there are some small steps we can take to expand reach. If I'm wasting keystrokes in the matter you can put me in my place...hoping for consideration.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:56 am

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 am
Apologies as my response came across a bit harsh. I didn't realize the participation cap was set with Mr Bogle in mind. That's appreciated.

Appreciation to the organizers as well...I know it takes work to pull together a conference event and keep things fresh. My frustration lies with the inability to attend and hoping there is a way to expand seating. One other suggestion, perhaps splitting the conference in two pieces where you have a larger conference setting (Bernstein and other speakers) and then a smaller venue (participants pay extra fee or we continue with first come first served concept) with Mr Bogle?
Mel talked a bit about the reasons for limiting the audience in the recently released podcast - see

viewtopic.php?t=244206

To quote from the transcript:

Joel Dickson: Yes. And you mentioned the 20 that it started with. And the reason that you’re, in large part, here today with me, is because it is the annual Bogleheads meeting that now pretty much every year for the last number of years has been here in Philadelphia on Vanguard’s main campus. How many people are here today for that meeting?

Mel Lindauer: A little over 200, we could have sold out Yankee Stadium, but we had to cut it off.

Mel Lindauer: We like to keep it at a level where the people who come feel they get to interact with Jack and Gus and Bill Bernstein and the authors that they’ve read and so forth rather than have a great big thing where they just feel lost in the crowd.

Joel Dickson: Yes, and every year there’s like a mix of people that have been at previous ones and then completely new ones, right?

Mel Lindauer: Yes, we try to get somewhere around half and half, but it tends to be slightly more people returning and normally it might be 60/40, like a balanced fund.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Please, add me to the waiting list. Sorry to miss the announcement. As the popularity of this board increases maybe we can allow members who joined in 2008 or earlier first opportunity :)
Don't Work Forever.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

Yukon wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 pm
Please, add me to the waiting list. Sorry to miss the announcement. As the popularity of this board increases maybe we can allow members who joined in 2008 or earlier first opportunity :)
And if we did that, we'd have all the old members applying for a second account in order to qualify. :)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 am

Any chance of a video of the main presentations that we can view later? Especially for those of us that don't live in the States most of the time?

Add it to the Wiki maybe??

_D_