New Bogleheads Local Chapter in Little Rock, AR

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
BradJ

New Bogleheads Local Chapter in Little Rock, AR

Post by BradJ »

Are there any Bogleheads in Little Rock,AR?
azanon

Re: Any Bogleheads in Little Rock, AR?

Post by azanon »

No sir, just you! And you're also the only boglehead named "Brad" in Little Rock. :D
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Well, at least there won't be much arguing at the meetings..........
azanon

Post by azanon »

BradJ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 am Well, at least there won't be much arguing at the meetings..........
Ha!

Of course I'm joking on both accounts and might mean exactly the opposite. My location is shown >>>>>
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

azanon wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am
BradJ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 am Well, at least there won't be much arguing at the meetings..........
Ha!

Of course I'm joking on both accounts and might mean exactly the opposite. My location is shown >>>>>
Now I see.....glad there's two of us, at least. I would like to start a local group, but honestly have no clue what we would discuss.
wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 »

I am also in Little Rock
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If you get five or more Little Rock (or vicinity) Bogleheads who are interested in forming a Local Chapter and one of you is willing to volunteer to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, let me know via PM and I'll get your group set up and listed on the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

(The Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru; he/she simply communicates with the members about meeting locations, dates, times, etc.)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 pm If you get five or more Little Rock (or vicinity) Bogleheads who are interested in forming a Local Chapter and one of you is willing to volunteer to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, let me know via PM and I'll get your group set up and listed on the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

(The Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru; he/she simply communicates with the members about meeting locations, dates, times, etc.)
What do Local Chapters actually do?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BradJ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 pm If you get five or more Little Rock (or vicinity) Bogleheads who are interested in forming a Local Chapter and one of you is willing to volunteer to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, let me know via PM and I'll get your group set up and listed on the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

What do Local Chapters actually do?
That's entirely up to each chapter to decide. Normally, there are discussions on various investing topics, Q&A sessions, educational presentations, etc.

And, of course, socializing with like-minded Boglehead investors.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

No there are not
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Azanon notified me of your thread. I'm in Little Rock and would be interested in meeting up with other posters.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Cantrip wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 pm Azanon notified me of your thread. I'm in Little Rock and would be interested in meeting up with other posters.
Sounds good, maybe we can all meet for coffee one morning. I work in West Little Rock (live in Benton), not sure where everyone else is located.
wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 »

I live in West Little Rock, and work in North Little Rock.
azanon

Post by azanon »

I live in West Little Rock, and work in downtown Little Rock.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

I am an early morning person, maybe schedule a Starbucks coffee in February? 6am?
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

I live in (almost) West Little Rock as well. I sleep during the day, so mornings (6am starbucks would be fine) or evenings is best for me -- prefer no lunch or afternoons.
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

My hometown is Little Rock, AR, but I currently live in Brooklyn, NY. I'm there at least 1-2 every month or so. I would love to meet up if the times work.
snitterkitty

Post by snitterkitty »

I work in LR, live near Malvern.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

snitterkitty wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:04 am I work in LR, live near Malvern.
That’s quite a commute. I imagine you put on more than 100k miles per year on your car or truck.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, looks like there's plenty of interest in getting a Local Chapter going. Does anyone want to step up and agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator? PM me if you're willing.
snitterkitty

Post by snitterkitty »

HueyLD wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am
snitterkitty wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:04 am I work in LR, live near Malvern.
That’s quite a commute. I imagine you put on more than 100k miles per year on your car or truck.
Probably around 20-25k.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

I have a second child coming in May, so I am unable to sign on as the Local Chapter Coordinator at this time. We could all coordinate a time/date and bring one posting of interest from the site for discussions. We then could each decide if we liked the meeting ( and each other) and move forward from there.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BradJ wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm I have a second child coming in May, so I am unable to sign on as the Local Chapter Coordinator at this time. We could all coordinate a time/date and bring one posting of interest from the site for discussions. We then could each decide if we liked the meeting ( and each other) and move forward from there.
Is anyone else willing to step up and volunteer to be the Local Chapter Coordinator? If so, PM me and we'll make it official and get your Local Chapter up and running.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It's official; we now have a new Little Rock Local Chapter. Cantrip has stepped up and agreed to be the Little Rock Chapter Coordinator. I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map so other can find and contact you.

The Local Chapter contact email address is LittleRockBogleheads@gmail.com.

You can use this sub-forum to communicate with each other about meeting dates, locations, times, agendas, etc. Just be sure to include the words "Little Rock" in the title.

Good luck to our newest Chapter.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: New Bogleheads Local Chapter in Little Rock, AR

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have added your chapter to our affiliate blog's centralized local chapter segment: Bogleheads® local chapters.

Here is blog page devoted to your chapter: Little Rock Bogleheads®. Please feel free to pass along addition information you will want added to the page. The page is grouped with our southern chapters: South chapters.

We attempt to track local chapter meeting dates in Upcoming events.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Hello All Little Rock area Bogleheads:

As the new Local Chapter Coordinator, please send me your first name, forum user name and an e-mail address where you can be reached (will be kept confidential) to the LittleRockBogleheads@gmail.com by Saturday, 24 February.

Include any preferred day(s) (e.g. Saturday, Sunday) and time(s) that you'd like to meet and any day(s)/time that you CAN'T meet along with any recommended meeting location if you have one.

Then we'll try to have a first meeting in March as feasible - will put out that info here once I get the input. Look forward to meeting everyone and having some engaging discussions.

Thanks.

Philip
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Little Rock Bogleheads,

Our first meeting is scheduled for 0700 on Saturday, 10 March at Guillermo’s Coffeehouse which is located at 10700 N Rodney Parham Rd (next door to Chili's at Rodney Parham & I-430).

The store opens at 0700, so I anticipate a 15 minute lull while we purchase drinks and gather in their meeting room. If you have any investing ideas or questions to discuss, you can email them to me (which I can forward to other group members beforehand) or just bring them with you.

Will send out a reminder a couple days before.

Take care and see you soon.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Little Rock Bogleheads,

As a two day reminder, the time of our first meeting is at 7am on Saturday March 10. It will be at Guillermo’s Coffeehouse (which is next to Chili's at I430 and Rodney Parham).

I look forward to meeting everyone.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Just wanted to say that I, for one, enjoyed the first meeting. The turnout was small, but everyone that showed up was clearly very knowledgeable. Hopefully, more will be able to show up at the next event.
wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 »

I enjoyed it as well, and look forward to participating regularly.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Little Rock Bogleheads,

As our first meeting went well, we desired to have a meeting once a month. Let's set the date for our second meeting as Saturday April 7, 2018 at 7:15am at the same location -- Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham.

On the agenda will be setting a good monthly meeting time for all involved, and I would like to learn from the other members what funds are in the stock allocation of their portfolio. In particular the purpose/rational for each stock fund versus having the broad market, and any strategy for rebalancing or altering the allocation of each in relation to each other stock fund. Lets not talk about bonds or alternatives until future meetings, and instead focus on just stock funds.

If any other topics are of interest to you please email them to littlerockbogleheads@gmail.com.

Hope to see you there on April 7th.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Our meetings will be quarterly from this point on. The second Saturday morning of each quarter at 8am. Location remains the same at Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham.

Therefore the schedule of our next two meetings will be:

June 9 at 8am
September 8 at 8am

If you would like to join us feel free to come to a meeting. You can also inform us of your interest at LittleRockBogleheads@gmail.com to receive reminders 2 days prior to each meeting, or to ask for additional information.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Bumping up the Little Rock thread. Our next meeting is this Saturday (June 9th) at 8am at Guillermo's Coffeehouse. Hope to see you there.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

The second Saturday morning of the 2019 is January 12th. Unfortunately I would not be able to attend and so will shift the meeting to January 19th at 8am. Location remains the same at Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham.

Will send out an email a couple days prior to the meeting. Hope to see you there. I have an email from Paul Merriman and the IndexingonSteroids.com author, if you would like to discuss factor investing.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Meeting times for the rest of this year (2nd Saturday morning of each quarter, yes the wrong months were selected last year :oops: ) are:

Saturday April 13, 2019 at 8am (cancelled)
Saturday July 13, 2019 at 8am
Saturday October 12, 2019 at 8am

Location remains the same at Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham. Can just drop by, or send an email to LittleRockBogleheads@gmail.com to receive a reminders 2 days prior to each meeting.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Unfortunately I am unable to make the Saturday October 12, 2019 meeting. Therefore will reschedule the meeting to the next week: October 19th, 2019 at 8am.

Topic will be Estate Planning.

Location remains the same at Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham. Hope to see you there.
Lextalionis

Post by Lextalionis »

I am also in West Little Rock and would be interested.
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Next meeting coming up in two weeks: Saturday January 11, 2020 at 8am.

Topic will be Asset Allocation. We had covered this topic a couple years ago, but there has been made a request to revisit it. Will be interesting to see if people stayed the course :).

Location remains the same at Guillermo's Coffeehouse, next to Chilis at I430 and Rodney Parham.

Future Dates for 2020 are the 2nd Saturday morning of each quarter:

April 11, July 11, October 10
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

The next meeting is cancelled due to coronavirus. As I will be moving to Texarkana in a few months, and our group has remained small, we will be dissolving the Little Rock chapter. If you would like to meet up or chat, send a me a PM.