Which Day Hiking Trails Do You Recommend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
EGARCH

Which Day Hiking Trails Do You Recommend?

Post by EGARCH » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:39 pm

The winter is coming to an end and one of the activities I like (and only discovered this last season) is a day hike. Last season, I did a few mini-vacations / weekend getaways at
  • Franconia Ridge Trail in NH
  • Alum Cave in Smoky MountainNational Park
  • Sky Pond in Rocky Mountain National Park
  • Kilauea'iki Trail in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, this was more than a weekend
I am planning to do a few this season, 5 to 10 hr hikes. Any trails you recommend?
Thanks!

triceratop

Re: Which Day Hiking Trails Do You Recommend?

Post by triceratop » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Mt. Everest is a good day hike IMO. YMMV. Good luck.

I'd recommend "The Needle" -- in 'Iao Valley State Park, Hawaii. It's less than a day hike unless you bushwhack with a map, needle and compass as I did. Lots of unexplored country with spectacular views.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Trails starting from the Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Texas.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Cortez CO, stay at Kelly's Place B&B http://www.kellyplace.com/ . They are at the edge of the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument and can get you a permit to hike on tribal lands. We hired a retired archeologist for a 6 mi "short" hike and was a wonderful day, she knew the ancient pueblo sites that were not readily visible from the trail. The B&B is close to Hovenweep which has some very interesting trails of their own and not too far from Mesa Verde. Owners of the B&B are very congenial and breakfast was delicious and the home baked cookies in the evening by the huge stone fireplace topped off a long day of hiking. The Pueblo museum just north of Cortez was quite interesting as well.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 pm

It’s a big world. Do you want to offer any geographic parameters?

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am

Angel's Landing in Zion NP.
Tongariro Crossing, in New Zealand.

LEB1230

Post by LEB1230 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 am

MoonOrb wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am
Angel's Landing in Zion NP.
Planning to do this one Sunday as long as the weather holds out.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 am

triceratop wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm
Mt. Everest is a good day hike IMO. YMMV. Good luck.

I'd recommend "The Needle" -- in 'Iao Valley State Park, Hawaii. It's less than a day hike unless you bushwhack with a map, needle and compass as I did. Lots of unexplored country with spectacular views.
We bushwhacked it a bit after seeing some locals duck the railing at the "end" of the trail. Best 3-4 hours of hiking I never expected to do. Gorgeous.

My vote for day hikes are really anything in Zion canyon in southern Utah. I also liked Soap Canyon near Lee's Ferry in northern Arizona.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:37 am

Valley of the Gods near the 4 Corners of Utah is pretty great, as well. More jsut exploring than any particular hike, though.

johan_s

Post by johan_s » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 am

A visitor to Yosemite once asked an old ranger, “What should I do if I only have one day to hike here in Yosemite?”
Ranger responds, “Weep.”

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:25 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 pm
It’s a big world. Do you want to offer any geographic parameters?
+1
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:39 am

The Appalachian Trail is great if you're on the east coast. It goes from Georgia all the way up to Maine, so there are plenty of segments that might work for you if you're out this way. I live in NY, and it is fairly close to my house. Like any trail, it has its very challenging segments and its easier segments. I love it. :beer

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail

red5

Post by red5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 am

In my eyes Baxter State Park in Maine has the best hiking in the eastern US.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 am

In southwest Virginia, park in Grayson Highlands State Park, and hike a loop involving the Appalachian Trail, Thomas Knobb shelter, Crest Trail, and the Scales.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 am

Hanakapiai Trail on Kauai since you've done Hawaii before. Big Bluff trail in the Ozarks once you get to the bluff was phenomenal.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am

The 14ers in Colorado are excellent hikes and there are over 50 of them. Mt Evans is a nice easy one for people who haven’t yet hiked at that altitude.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 am

climber2020 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am
The 14ers in Colorado are excellent hikes and there are over 50 of them. Mt Evans is a nice easy one for people who haven’t yet hiked at that altitude.
There’s 58 14’ers. Mt Evans you can drive to the top of so that takes away from the adventure. I wouldn’t attempt any without being in top physical shape and understanding Colorado weather. Many people die each year attempting to summit these without the right preparation.
Bierstadt, Evans neighbor, is a good first time one.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 am

I have not done it but there was a thread a while back on a the "coast to coast" walk across England where you do a series of day hikes between towns and end up in a different BnB each night. There are services that will shuttle your luggage between BnBs. For lunch you usually stop at a pub.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_Walk

If you Google "Inn to Inn" hiking you will find a number of them.

Some of the ones like at Yosemite can be very difficult to get reservations for.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 am

I live in the White Mountains of NH. This is some of the hardest yet most beautiful hiking. North of RTE 2 is where I hike on summer weekends. South of that line is best on week days unless you like crowds, especially the high peaks and popular trails. There are many bloggers that talk about hiking in the White Mountains, such as this one: http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/ or this: https://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 am

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 am
climber2020 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am
There’s 58 14’ers. Mt Evans you can drive to the top of so that takes away from the adventure. I wouldn’t attempt any without being in top physical shape and understanding Colorado weather. Many people die each year attempting to summit these without the right preparation.
Bierstadt, Evans neighbor, is a good first time one.
Yes, you can drive to the top of Evans, but there's also a short 4 mile roundtrip hike that begins at Summit Lake and has only 2000 feet of elevation gain. I did this hike 2 weeks after moving to Denver from a low elevation city in the South and not being in the greatest shape at the time. Of the 20 or so that I've climbed so far, I think this is one of the easier ones for a beginner. Bierstadt isn't bad either, but it's a longer hike if you take the standard route and not nearly as scenic in my opinion.

14ers.com is an excellent resource with trail maps and trip reports.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 am
Hanakapiai Trail on Kauai since you've done Hawaii before. Big Bluff trail in the Ozarks once you get to the bluff was phenomenal.
Hanakaipai Trail is fantastic. I believe the round trip hike to the waterfall and back is about 4-5 hours depending on conditions. I haven’t experienced many of these other hikes but Hanakaipai is a memory I’ll never forget.

philpill

Post by philpill » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

old ragg in shennandoah national park virginia, grandfather mountain, the knife edge at katadhin and above all anywhere in harriman state park adjacent to NYC.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am

If you like to hike, please consider trekking in Europe. Combine hiking with only a day pack on well-marked scenic trails through the best the planet has on offer and have someone else see your luggage to the next night's accommodation.

We're in our 60's and have done the almost 200 mile Coast-to-Coast in Northern England, the similar length Southwest Coastal Path around Cornwall, the Trans Alpina in Switzerland, and a shorter trek in the Austrian Dachsteins. https://www.sherpaexpeditions.com/

Self-guiding and you pick your own level of accommodation and choose your own food. We're going to go on many more of these trips before our dottage.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am

John Muir Trail
Kalalau Trail
Oregon Coast
Any State/National Park/Forest
Banff/Jasper

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Random list of trails we've done and really enjoyed:

Cathedral Lake. Aspen at its best. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... orado.html

Crags Crest includes 3 miles along a narrow spine. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colo ... rest-trail

Colorado National Monument, many to choose from https://www.nps.gov/colm/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Delicate Arch, hike to the arch on the Utah license plates. https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/ ... e-arch.htm

Sidney Harrison plane crash. Korean war era plane crash deep in the Colorado mountains. Much of the wreckage is still there. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/703 ... a-ice-cave

BloogleBird

Post by BloogleBird » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 pm

The Azores archipelago has an excellent network of well-signed trails across all the islands: http://trails.visitazores.com/en/trails-azores/faial

The scenery is absolutely stunning, it's about a 4-hour flight from Boston, and it has a pleasant, subtropical climate (though much more on the Mediterranean side of subtropical -- it's not Hawaii-like, especially in the winter). Accommodation and food are a relative bargain. It's a terrific place to visit if you like to hike.

orthodoc

Post by orthodoc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Check out the AllTrails App. We used it on our last trip after it was suggested by a young waitress. It was a great tool for our Colorado trip.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Mt. San Jacinto trail / Palm Spring Aerial Tramway, Palm Springs, CA.

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/bes ... n-jacinto/

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am
If you like to hike, please consider trekking in Europe. Combine hiking with only a day pack on well-marked scenic trails through the best the planet has on offer and have someone else see your luggage to the next night's accommodation.

We're in our 60's and have done the almost 200 mile Coast-to-Coast in Northern England, the similar length Southwest Coastal Path around Cornwall, the Trans Alpina in Switzerland, and a shorter trek in the Austrian Dachsteins. https://www.sherpaexpeditions.com/

Self-guiding and you pick your own level of accommodation and choose your own food. We're going to go on many more of these trips before our dottage.
+1
Our favorite agent for these kind of trips is www.inntravel.co.uk

packerguy

Post by packerguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Bean and Bear Lake on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota.

https://shta.org/trail-section/silver-b ... r-wayside/

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:08 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 pm
Trails starting from the Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Texas.
Was at BBNP in October - absolutely amazing time and unlike anywhere else I've been in Texas. Want to get out to Palo Duro Canyon at some point with the free roaming buffalo/bison.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm

^Palo Duro Canyon is not to be confused with Caprock Canyons and its bison even though the two parks are not too far apart.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/parkinfo/bison/
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 am
blaugranamd wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 am
Hanakaipai Trail is fantastic. I believe the round trip hike to the waterfall and back is about 4-5 hours depending on conditions. I haven’t experienced many of these other hikes but Hanakaipai is a memory I’ll never forget.
I won't either, in part because of the beautiful views but also because our hike was cut short because we had to tend to a Boy Scout with heat stroke who was nearly unconscious 1.5 miles into the trail :shock:
Last edited by blaugranamd on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Since there seems to be few geographical restrictions, here are a couple.

Pembrokeshire Coast Path - 186 miles around the south coast of Wales. Did it in my twenties. You can end every night in a BnB as well, if you wish. Or around the back doorstep of a pub too...

Bruce Trail - 250 mile trail across southern Ontario that follows the Niagara Escarpment. From the Niagara river up to Tobermory at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula. Done many sections of it as day hikes. It is also about a km from my house..

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 pm

The Hardergrat in Switzerland, Google it. Once you see the photos you will book your plane tickets.

Can be done in a day.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:09 pm

There are just so many great hiking trails all over the place that its hard to recommend one. My answer would have to be whichever one you can get to. If you have already hiked a trail once, hike it again in the opposite direction and it will be a whole new experience.

I would also recommend overnight hikes if you have restricted yourself to day hikes. Choose your season and your gear carefully and it can be lots of fun. Sometimes there are great sites and views that you could enjoy with an overnight hike or one of three or four days that you would miss on a day hike.

Just went snowshoeing in the Lake Tahoe area recently for the first time and I guess that qualifies as hiking. Besides the views of Lake Tahoe, the highlight was having chickadees eat sunflower seeds out of my hand. That was a wonderful experience.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:51 am

nativenewenglander wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 am
I live in the White Mountains of NH. This is some of the hardest yet most beautiful hiking. North of RTE 2 is where I hike on summer weekends. South of that line is best on week days unless you like crowds, especially the high peaks and popular trails. There are many bloggers that talk about hiking in the White Mountains, such as this one: http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/ or this: https://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the links! Hiking Washington and others in the range is on my list if I can ever get that far north again.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am
John Muir Trail
Lol, at 210.5 miles (plus the 10 mile hike down to the Whitney Portal) the JMT isn't a day hike. Even section hiking most of it outside of Yosemite or Devil's Postpile is not a day hike.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:33 pm

investor997 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm
Mt. San Jacinto trail / Palm Spring Aerial Tramway, Palm Springs, CA.

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/bes ... n-jacinto/
:thumbsup

This is a nice hike and a great change of scenery for those visiting Palm Springs in the summer. At 8800 to almost 11,000 it is a world away. The hike from the tram down to Idyllwild is also very nice (only 8 miles). You do need to plan a shuttle.

One day I want to do the Cactus to Clouds. Now there's a butt kicker!

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/bes ... ouds-hike/

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Just went snowshoeing in the Lake Tahoe area recently for the first time and I guess that qualifies as hiking. Besides the views of Lake Tahoe, the highlight was having chickadees eat sunflower seeds out of my hand. That was a wonderful experience.
Section hiking parts of the Tahoe Rim Trail are good day hikes if you're in the area.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Bright Angel Trail to the Colorado River and back in the Grand Canyon. It's about 14 miles and best done in late April/early May. Before that you might have snow at the rim (7,000') and later than late the bottom of the Canyon (2,500') will be reaching about 100 degrees.

It goes without saying you need to be in good physical shape but it is one epic hike! And an alternative would be to stay on the south side of the river and take the S. Kaibab trail to Bright Angel Trail. It's about a mile longer but the views from the S. Kaibab are spectacular and better than the Bright Angel which has you in a side canyon for a lot of the trail.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 am

johan_s wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 am
A visitor to Yosemite once asked an old ranger, “What should I do if I only have one day to hike here in Yosemite?”
Ranger responds, “Weep.”

https://www.yosemitehikes.com/ is likely the best hiking website for Yosemite. (Disclosure: by a friend of mine.)

M

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am

The Maclehose Trail in Hong Kong - recognised as one of the best hikes in the world. Its not a day hike (its 100km) but is broken up into 10 stages so you can pick and choose segments. And because Hong Kong is so small, you can enjoy staying in and exploring the city at the same time.

There are lots of really good half day and day hikes in the territory, one of my best friends is Hong Kong's hiking guru and top author on the subject: https://petespurrier.com/

red5

Post by red5 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:53 am

I'll add another; the Black Mountain Crest Trail which starts with Celo Knob near Burns, NC and hiking the 10 or 12 miles to the top of Mount MItchell. It's an epic way to hike the tallest mountain in the eastern US. Once your to the top of Celo Knob you have an amazing hike atop the spine of the Black Mountains. It'd require some help with the vehicles though (as in you probably would not want to hike back to the original trail head).

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:06 am

Hi EGARCH,

Bright Angel Trail at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Round Trip of 12 miles with a 3,110 drop in elevation on the way down and the same rise in elevation on the way up. Did this a few Aprils ago and it a wonderful experience. It ends at Plateau Point, which has an overlook of the Colorado River.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/ ... ltrail.pdf

Mount Washburn Trail at Yellowstone. A nice, smooth, 6.4 mile trail with elevation changes of 1,400 feet both ways. Amazing views of Yellowstone at the end, which is an active ranger fire station.

http://www.trailguidesyellowstone.com/y ... tone.php#6

Hike to the top of Black Elk (formerly Harney) Peak in Custer State Park, Black Hills, South Dakota. It is the highest elevation in the USA east of the Rocky Mountains. A low stress, scenic hike with beautiful views during the hike and at the top by the old stone fire lookout tower. There are multiple trails to the summit, but we took a very popular one that starts at Sylvan Lake. It is trail 9 (I think) and 7.6 miles round trip. Bring a light picnic lunch to have at the summit.

http://harneypeakinfo.com/harney-peak-hiking

Notch Trail in the Badlands of South Dakota is another impressive, though short, trail. Only about 1.5 miles round trip, there is a beautiful view at the end and the trail goes through bizarre landscapes. There is a wood ladder of sorts everyone must climb up and then back down.

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/notch-trail-badlands/

Happy Hiking!
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau