re-siding house - vinyl or hardiplank?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mrc

Re: re-siding house - vinyl or hardiplank?

Post by mrc »

Utahdogowner wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 pm
mrc wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:10 pm We re-sided our vinyl 2 story colonial with Hardy. Much nicer living now. Quieter in the wind. Looks brand new. Hail proof. Doesn't come loose in high winds. We also added OSB sheathing and house wrap. Original build omitted the wrap and had sheathing only on the corners. You could have broken into our house through the wall (vinyl + 1" polystyrene board + 4" fiberglass + 1/2" drywall) with a utility knife. :oops:
That seems criminal. Is it really to code?
Around these parts, "code" seems to be more of a suggestion than a requirement. On a walk years ago, I sat down on a 2' tall brick wall. Can't remember what the wall was for (knee wall, or porch), but it broke apart. The mortar was like cookie crumb.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

mrc wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:10 pm We re-sided our vinyl 2 story colonial with Hardy. Much nicer living now. Quieter in the wind. Looks brand new. Hail proof. Doesn't come loose in high winds. We also added OSB sheathing and house wrap. Original build omitted the wrap and had sheathing only on the corners. You could have broken into our house through the wall (vinyl + 1" polystyrene board + 4" fiberglass + 1/2" drywall) with a utility knife. :oops:
I understand its quite common in the Atlanta area. Certainly wouldn't fly in New England though.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Go with Hardi- I've had both- no comparison in quality, and importantly, the look of quality when it is time to sell.

gasdoc
Nelsonson

Post by Nelsonson »

We just built a new lakehouse in Northeast PA. After looking at everything available I found a product called Everlast which is a completely inorganic composite siding.

https://www.everlastsiding.com/design-resources

We went with it for a few reasons.
1. Since it is inorganic you can bury it in the ground if you want. Hardie needs a gap between the ground since moisture can get behind it and it is organic.

2. It has a lifetime original owner no-fade guarantee including parts and labor. There is no painting which was important since I want to enjoy the summer and not spend weekends doing maintance projects if I don't have to.

3. Cost was more than Hardie, but the easier installation meant it cost the same since it took less hours. It was the first time our contractor had ever installed it and his guys loved it. He said they usually do Hardie and have all the tools for it, but the everlast was so easy compared to it.

4. Reading a lot about Hardie and how they were first to game with an alternative siding product, I read about people having seemingly legitimate warranty claims denied after problems arose. I have no real information if Everlast will honor any warranty claims, but since Hardie didn't seem to, that didn't sway me.

5. People seem to have had good luck with it in the northeast from what I read online.

6. The manufacturer was very annoying to deal with. We had multiple samples of the same color that were slightly different. Trying to figure out what was the newest color shade was a month of back and forth. Once we got it sorted delivery was no issue through their local distributor however.

This is really just a the more you know post. When we were looking for siding everyone said Hardie but I really didn't want to have to paint it or deal with fading. So far the house looks great and we are super happy with how it looks. It has been months though so I can't speak to the longevity of the product. Just something else you may want to research.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I've got the same kind of house and we make the same joke about the utility oknife. I doubt it's code now but it was 30 years ago around here. We are also thinking about what we could do oif we resided. Dh didn't think sheathind would be dimensionallly possible. Glad to hear it is.