Sharonview FCU 64 month CD - 4%

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Kevin M

Re: Sharonview FCU 64 month CD - 4%

Post by Kevin M » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:29 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Wrong year in your post.
Thanks for the catch. Fixed.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

jkelly

Post by jkelly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Better hurry, I was told the special is ending today at 5:00.

Jeff

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

jkelly wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:44 pm
Better hurry, I was told the special is ending today at 5:00.

Jeff
Details?

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I just spoke with a Sharonview rep who told me the same thing....today is the last day, It may already be too late to get started, but if you are interested, jump on it.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm
I just spoke with a Sharonview rep who told me the same thing....today is the last day, It may already be too late to get started, but if you are interested, jump on it.
That sucks. They're not answering the 800 number right now. I got in an application yesterday, but there's no way to put the CD on the initial app.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm
protagonist wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm
That sucks. They're not answering the 800 number right now. I got in an application yesterday, but there's no way to put the CD on the initial app.

Their phone service is pretty bad. Keep trying.

Watts

Post by Watts » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Hopefully they'll honor the rate next week for those of us who opened up a savings account with intent to open a CD once the funds clear.

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Watts wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm
Hopefully they'll honor the rate next week for those of us who opened up a savings account with intent to open a CD once the funds clear.
That is exactly what they are saying. If you have gotten an account setup, you'll be able to get the CD. I was able to transfer 50k to the 4% CD from my local CU using the Credit Union Share system. It really works well and funds appeared immediately in my SharonView account. Also in the process of moving two IRAs there from PenFed. Good luck to all.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm

The promo is no longer on their website. My application is in limbo, so not sure if I made the cut. The rep I spoke with this morning didn't say they'd guarantee the rate since my app hasn't been approved yet.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:45 pm

keinodoggy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 pm
Watts wrote:
That is exactly what they are saying. If you have gotten an account setup, you'll be able to get the CD. I was able to transfer 50k to the 4% CD from my local CU using the Credit Union Share system. It really works well and funds appeared immediately in my SharonView account. Also in the process of moving two IRAs there from PenFed. Good luck to all.
Well we have apps in and screenshots of the site, and put notes on the app, but haven't talked to anyone to actually set up a CD. Fingers crossed

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Happy2BeFree wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm
The promo is no longer on their website. My application is in limbo, so not sure if I made the cut. The rep I spoke with this morning didn't say they'd guarantee the rate since my app hasn't been approved yet.
Several Reps told me, if you went through the online process of setting up an account and then received the message they would need to contact you to verify things, those will be able to get the CD. They also said it may take a week or two to get everyone their accounts since they were totally swamped.

Visitor

Post by Visitor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm

keinodoggy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Happy2BeFree wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm
Several Reps told me, if you went through the online process of setting up an account and then received the message they would need to contact you to verify things, those will be able to get the CD. They also said it may take a week or two to get everyone their accounts since they were totally swamped.
I was told the same thing. As long as your application has a date stamp on it to verify you sent it in prior to 5pm today. They will honor the 4 percent CD.

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am

I stumbled upon this on their site. Those that haven't completed their account may want to print this out.

https://www.sharonview.org/share-certificate-special

gips

Post by gips » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am

I opened an account earlier in the week, still hadn't heard back. I gave them a call yesterday, they said I'd be able to fund a cd when they got around to approving my app. Honestly, I'm ambivalent about the offer, my strategy to date has been two year or less CDs unless accompanied by a low EWP. we just had two cds mature, we'll probably end up splitting btw this and two year treasuries.

Although I'm retired, I'm not loving all the legwork involved with CDs. I'm starting to understand the benefit of just using a bond fund or two. Still, if I could obtain 4% nominal for our entire portfolio, it would meet our annual expenses....

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 am

Gigs,
One thing if you are ambivalent about the offer - no problem you can just decide not to fund and ask them to close the account.
Yes there is some legwork to opening an CD - I don't chase yield and constantly looking for the best CD deal but I have found after opening a couple CD's its just as convenient as any other financial business I want to conduct.
Its important to know just what the difference between CD's and Bond Funds are - they each serve different purposes.
Evelyn

gips

Post by gips » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm

thanks for your reply!
EvelynTroy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 am
Yes there is some legwork to opening an CD - I don't chase yield and constantly looking for the best CD deal but I have found after opening a couple CD's its just as convenient as any other financial business I want to conduct.
I don't agree, much less work if using one or two bond funds. Perhaps the difference is that due to fdic limits, I have cds at quite a few banks/fcus.
EvelynTroy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 am
Its important to know just what the difference between CD's and Bond Funds are - they each serve different purposes.
the only difference I can see is that bond funds are much more convenient for rebalancing. That's why one and two year Treasuries are so interesting right now (I live in a high-tax state): after-tax yield approaching best CD rates and very liquid.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:27 pm

gips wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am
I opened an account earlier in the week, still hadn't heard back. I gave them a call yesterday, they said I'd be able to fund a cd when they got around to approving my app. Honestly, I'm ambivalent about the offer, my strategy to date has been two year or less CDs unless accompanied by a low EWP. we just had two cds mature, we'll probably end up splitting btw this and two year treasuries.

Although I'm retired, I'm not loving all the legwork involved with CDs. I'm starting to understand the benefit of just using a bond fund or two. Still, if I could obtain 4% nominal for our entire portfolio, it would meet our annual expenses....
I understand what you're saying; I'm ambivalent, too, awaiting their acceptance of my application. I even started a new thread about this, because I froze all my credit reports, so that's an extra unwanted step to take to get this CD (and many others). I might be done chasing rates as well. Bond funds are very easy to own (though it's hard seeing them go down lately). Sometimes simplicity and convenience are more important than squeezing every last dollar out of our investments. It's a balance. Also, there are alternatives to direct CDs, including brokered CDs, which work for a lot of people.

Good luck with your decisions!

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks to keinodoggy and Visitor for your assurance about the 4% rate, and everyone else who's contributed to this thread...it's so helpful hearing other's experiences and suggestions! :beer

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 am

Watts wrote:
The rep. said they would, FWIW.

Watts

Post by Watts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 am

As an update from earlier, my funds cleared this morning into my Sharonview savings. I just called ( < 5 minute wait time! ), and the representative was able create the 4% CD and transfer the funds from the savings within a couple minutes. Very smooth process!

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 am

After 3 tries, my wire finally was successfully completed this morning. Once I got the rep on the phone, no problem funding the certificate. Happy to get 4% 8-)

Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I started online application on Friday PM (before knowing that they'd pull the CD offer). Got a member's number at the end of the online app. I emailed them my DL after that w/o them asking me. On Saturday, I went to a shared branch and deposited the money. On Monday AM, I got assigned a specific rep who emailed me 5 forms to sign. I signed them, then called the assigned (extension provided) rep. Over the phone, I emailed him my association proof, opened the CD, all done under 5 minutes. Very good experience overall!

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Out of our two apps, one is approved and one is still pending from Fri. Neither has a CD open yet. Took about 5 minutes for someone to pick up the phone. I still have hope this will get done in the next few days.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Update: Just got two emails from Sharonview this morning welcoming me as a member and sending documents to sign. This explains why I got notice from Credit Karma yesterday that a "lender" tried to access my credit report and my credit score took a hit. Turns out, Sharonview was able to pull my report even though it's frozen. I did not need to unfreeze it. Apparently Sharonview didn't know this because they said I needed to unfreeze it. ??? Anyway, I'm in the process of an ACH transfer. Sharonview said it would await my funds and honor the 4% CD.

The shock is that my frozen report could be accessed. I wonder if this would be the case at any other bank or CU. Strange that Sharonview didn't know this. TransUnion told me your score can be dinged if someone tries to access your frozen report, whether they succeed or not. :confused

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Mine still in limbo. I've got to break another CD and pay an ewp to fund this, not loving their speed, communication, and support hours so far. I know they're busy.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

I know, it's hard to be patient...their website had tech difficulties all afternoon, and I was trying to access my account. Frustrating. But they're all so professional, helpful, and kind, so in the end, I think it'll be worth the effort and the wait.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Happy2BeFree wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm
I know, it's hard to be patient...their website had tech difficulties all afternoon, and I was trying to access my account. Frustrating. But they're all so professional, helpful, and kind, so in the end, I think it'll be worth the effort and the wait.
I'd be happy enough if they sent me an email saying "hey, we're working on it, but don't worry, even if it takes us a month to approve your account we will honor the 4% rate on your CD" :happy . They can say anything they want to folks who call in, but until your account is locked in, it still makes me restless. The wording on their website leaves a lot of wiggle room.

Waba

Post by Waba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Happy new Sharonview FCU customer here :D . Last week I opened an account online, I was able to login to online banking within a day or so.
I added them as an external account to my existing CapitalOne 360 account, in order to verify the account CapitalOne posted two trial deposits which showed up on Monday. By then I noticed that the CD promo had ended so I called the Sharonview FCU and despite the rush I was able to get them on the phone within 15min or so. The friendly customer rep told me that since my account had been opened last week I had a 5 day grace period to fund/open the CD. At one of my local credit unions, using the COOP shared branching, I was able to transfer funds from one of my other CU accounts to the Sharonview FCU, this showed up in my Sharonview account right away. The same day I also did an ACH from my CapitalOne account and that showed up in my Sharonview FCU account on wednesday (today). I called them again and after a bit of a wait I was able to get another friendly rep on the phone who was able to open my CD. The CD showed up in my online account right away while I was on the phone, and when I checked a few hours later it showed that the funds :moneybag had moved from my checking/savings account to the CD. All in all a very smooth process.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Waba wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm
Happy new Sharonview FCU customer here :D . Last week I opened an account online, I was able to login to online banking within a day or so.
I added them as an external account to my existing CapitalOne 360 account, in order to verify the account CapitalOne posted two trial deposits which showed up on Monday. By then I noticed that the CD promo had ended so I called the Sharonview FCU and despite the rush I was able to get them on the phone within 15min or so. The friendly customer rep told me that since my account had been opened last week I had a 5 day grace period to fund/open the CD. At one of my local credit unions, using the COOP shared branching, I was able to transfer funds from one of my other CU accounts to the Sharonview FCU, this showed up in my Sharonview account right away. The same day I also did an ACH from my CapitalOne account and that showed up in my Sharonview FCU account on wednesday (today). I called them again and after a bit of a wait I was able to get another friendly rep on the phone who was able to open my CD. The CD showed up in my online account right away while I was on the phone, and when I checked a few hours later it showed that the funds :moneybag had moved from my checking/savings account to the CD. All in all a very smooth process.
Did you cash a check, or how did you get the funds to SVCU from your other CU? I know you said in person, just wondering what method of transfer.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:56 am

I just confirmed my new 4% CD as well! Ally did a one-day transfer (ACH, after two trial deposits), which was great. Spent about 10 minutes with a very friendly CSR, who moved things over and it's now all set up. Very easy process with SFCU; the worst part was the decision to go through with it. Glad I did. :moneybag

gips

Post by gips » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Waba wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm
At one of my local credit unions, using the COOP shared branching, I was able to transfer funds from one of my other CU accounts to the Sharonview FCU, this showed up in my Sharonview account right away.
thanks, saved me $30 in wire transfer fees!

>>Did you cash a check, or how did you get the funds to SVCU from your other CU? I know you said in person, just wondering what method of transfer.
I filled out two transaction forms that the credit union had on hand, a cash withdrawal from my current cu and a cash deposit to svcu. Took two minutes, as noted above, saved $30 in wire transfer fees.

Waba

Post by Waba » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Did you cash a check, or how did you get the funds to SVCU from your other CU? I know you said in person, just wondering what method of transfer.
Credit Unions can use shared branching from https://co-opcreditunions.org/co-op/ to access each other's accounts. So your local CU who supports shared branching (not all of them do) can do direct transfers of funds between accounts at different CUs.

That said, I did something like that last year with another CU, and back then they first had to write a cashier check and then immediately deposited that check into the other account. In both cases the money was in the other account immediately at no cost to me.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Waba wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm
nalor511 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Credit Unions can use shared branching from https://co-opcreditunions.org/co-op/ to access each other's accounts. So your local CU who supports shared branching (not all of them do) can do direct transfers of funds between accounts at different CUs.

That said, I did something like that last year with another CU, and back then they first had to write a cashier check and then immediately deposited that check into the other account. In both cases the money was in the other account immediately at no cost to me.
I was hoping I could expedite things that way, since I belong to a local credit union that partners with Sharonview, as does the CU from which I am having my funds transferred...but in both cases I was told it would not help.

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I was hoping I could expedite things that way, since I belong to a local credit union that partners with Sharonview, as does the CU from which I am having my funds transferred...but in both cases I was told it would not help.
Do you have an Ally savings account? My ACH transfer took one day for the trial deposits and one day for the funds transfer. I started the transfer Tuesday morning and funded my CD this morning. I was surprised at how quickly things moved along.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:22 am

Happy2BeFree wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Do you have an Ally savings account? My ACH transfer took one day for the trial deposits and one day for the funds transfer. I started the transfer Tuesday morning and funded my CD this morning. I was surprised at how quickly things moved along.
Yes, I do....but I am breaking an IRA certificate and transferring funds, which is a bit more complicated. That said, so far everything is working very smoothly. That said, thanks for the suggestion.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Highly recommend using the Co-op shared branching, was able to get a funds transfer done instantly (handled as a debit from CU1, and a credit to CU2)

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 pm

First, thank you Evelyn. Once I got through the enrollment process setting up CD was easy over the phone. The people were friendly and a bit overwhelmed with the demand. They honored the rate even though I had not complete the CD process. I ask to set up 5 cds rather then one big one so if I needed to withdraw for some reason I would not be penalized for the whole amount. They said they allowed for partial withdrawals. So I think it’s great! Thanks again.

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:36 am

I've found that the slowest part of the process is getting an existing IRA from one institution transferred to another. SharonView emailed the forms to me and I signed them and then emailed them to Penfed. That was last Friday. It took a threat from me that I was pulling my cash out of PenFed just to get a check mailed to SharonView yesterday evening. No way this should have taken a week. SharonView has been assuring me they will wait for it and I am locked in for the 4% CDs. The process of transferring our own money is ridiculously cumbersome. :annoyed

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm

I am pleased to say that my IRA monies finally arrived at SharonView today via postal mail from PenFed and that it was immediately deposited in our two 4% IRA CDs as promised. Thanks to the Reps at SharonView for their patience in getting this all done.
:moneybag :sharebeer :moneybag

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Sharonview followup...
Joined Sharonview via $20 membership in Charlotte Folk Society Mar 6. Membership approved Mar 9.
Sent !RA transfer request to Patelco Mar 9
Patelco rep told me the check would be sent to Sharonview Mar 13
On Mar 20 funds appeared in my Sharonview 4% IRA certificate .

Very smooth and quick. No hangups.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:47 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm
Sharonview followup...
Joined Sharonview via $20 membership in Charlotte Folk Society Mar 6. Membership approved Mar 9.
Sent !RA transfer request to Patelco Mar 9
Patelco rep told me the check would be sent to Sharonview Mar 13
On Mar 20 funds appeared in my Sharonview 4% IRA certificate .

Very smooth and quick. No hangups.
Congrats! This is particularly cool because you had to pay no EWP on the early withdrawal from the CD at Patelco, and were able to get this deal with an IRA transfer. This shows the huge benefit of low or no EWP CDs if you're willing to scramble when a great deal like this pops up.

Also, I'd say it's more the exception than the rule that a credit union or bank will lock the CD rate after the deal is gone, and while the IRA transfer is in progress. So this one was really good all around.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)