Incorrect medical report

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ji.isaacs

Incorrect medical report

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm

UPDATE: See last post for update and resolution.

I am hoping to solicit suggestions on how to handle correction of a medical report from the physicians on this board.

Recently I obtained a copy of a medical report and discovered it is incorrect. The report states an event that did not occur. A message was left with the physician's nurse and when no response was received after a week, I called and spoke with an office employee who said she would discuss it with the technician and get back to me. It's been very close to another two weeks and I've not heard from anyone.

My thought was to write a letter detailing what is wrong with the report and ask that it be corrected. The doctor is great and I've been a patient for quite a few years. I doubt he knows of this problem and wonder if he would see a letter either. To whom should I address the letter ? Should I send it certified? That seems a bit hostile and not my intention, but I do want the report corrected. I will need this report in about six weeks to hand carry to a physician I am seeing out of state.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed without seeming hostile to the doctor (which I am not at all). It may be important to know that HE did not dictate the report, a technician did.

Thanks for reading, and for any ideas.
Last edited by ji.isaacs on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Re: Incorrect medical report

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm

ji.isaacs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm
I am hoping to solicit suggestions on how to handle correction of a medical report from the physicians on this board.
Recently I obtained a copy of a medical report and discovered it is incorrect. The report states an event that did not occur. A message was left with the physician's nurse and when no response was received after a week, I called and spoke with an office employee who said she would discuss it with the technician and get back to me. It's been very close to another two weeks and I've not heard from anyone.
My thought was to write a letter detailing what is wrong with the report and ask that it be corrected. The doctor is great and I've been a patient for quite a few years. I doubt he knows of this problem and wonder if he would see a letter either. To whom should I address the letter ? Should I send it certified? That seems a bit hostile and not my intention, but I do want the report corrected. I will need this report in about six weeks to hand carry to a physician I am seeing out of state.
Any suggestions on how best to proceed without seeming hostile to the doctor (which I am not at all). It may be important to know that HE did not dictate the report, a technician did.
As a patient, now, with a health plan where I see just about all test results and visit information, I review just about everything as well. [Folks tell me I am weird]. One thing, as a patient, I have learned that things in a report (by a Physician) may be accurate -- BUT misunderstood by the lay patient [me].

Sure seems like the Physician and his/her office would be more than willing to correct such a report.

How do you know a technician dictated the report?
Last edited by dm200 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Can you stop by the office?

You have a right under HIPAA to have errors in your medical record corrected. Tell them that you have asked twice to have the error corrected and no one has gotten back in contact with you and that it seems silly to have to file a complaint to get this simple matter taken care of. That should produce action. If not, then report it.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm
ji.isaacs wrote:
As a patient, now, with a health plan where I see just about all test results and visit information, I review just about everything as well. [Folks tell me I am weird]. One thing, as a patient, I have learned that things in a report (by a Physician) may be accurate -- BUT misunderstood by the lay patient [me].

Sure seems like the Physician and his/her office would be more than willing to correct such a report.

I don't know for certain, but since the technician administered the test I just assumed the technician would have to be the one dictating the report. What's wrong with the report isn't a medical interpretation, it states an action that didn't take place at all.

I have been very nice and purposefully not accusatory because *I* didn't consider it a big deal and didn't expect to run into this problem. Perhaps they are defensive regardless, I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm
Can you stop by the office?

You have a right under HIPAA to have errors in your medical record corrected. Tell them that you have asked twice to have the error corrected and no one has gotten back in contact with you and that it seems silly to have to file a complaint to get this simple matter taken care of. That should produce action. If not, then report it.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html
The office is a 40 minute ride away so calling was easy, but I think I will have to take your suggestion and drive there to ask in person. Then if nothing happens I guess I'll have to pursue the complaint process (which I am loathe to do).

Thanks for your suggestion.

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

You aren't stating what happened but is it relevant in any way to your long term care? Eg If it says they looked in your ears and they looked fine when they didn't and you don't have an earache then this seems like a waste of time regardless of your legal rights.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm

ji.isaacs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

The office is a 40 minute ride away so calling was easy, but I think I will have to take your suggestion and drive there to ask in person. Then if nothing happens I guess I'll have to pursue the complaint process (which I am loathe to do).

If it is a 40 minute ride, you might consider sending a letter by certified mail addressed to the MD (as someone else suggested) first.

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm
ji.isaacs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

If it is a 40 minute ride, you might consider sending a letter by certified mail addressed to the MD (as someone else suggested) first.
That "someone else" was me in the OP, not a responder. It seemed hostile to send it certified, that's why I asked.

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm

chessknt wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm
You aren't stating what happened but is it relevant in any way to your long term care? Eg If it says they looked in your ears and they looked fine when they didn't and you don't have an earache then this seems like a waste of time regardless of your legal rights.
It's really hard to describe any type of problem without getting too deep into details. It is impossible to determine what effect the error may have in the future but I believe it could affect patient care. The report specifically states I stopped the procedure, which isn't true. The procedure was completed and the balance of the report seems to bear that out. It almost seems like a cut and paste type error, or it was dictated on the wrong patient. I'm not disputing the medical part of the report- how can I? I'm the patient and I'm not qualified to second guess the interpretation of the test. But I do know I absolutely did not stop the test.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:25 pm

In this case, certified mail might be less hostile than anything else you can do, especially if you word the letter nicely and just express concern about having called twice with no results.

It seems to me that it is the office that is somewhat hostile, even if it is just passive or unintentional. The MD will likely be embarrassed more than anything else.

If you want to call again, ask to speak to either the MD or the office manager and state that you are willing to hold because it is important.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Not a doctor, but I did have an incorrect diagnosis on my medical record. I was applying for life insurance so a big impact on the rate I would be offered. I had to get the original tests and go to an independent physician and have him review the results and write a letter stating the initial diagnosis was incorrect. He sent the letter to my primary physician who finally agreed to remove the diagnosis from my record. Bottom line, a big hassle.

In OP case, go to your primary doctor and explain the incorrect information. See if the doctor will remove. I can send a message directly to my physician from their online portal. He gets back to me within 24 hours. I wouldn’t talk to any staff, talk to your doctor directly, they are the one who can make the change.

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Golf maniac wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 pm
Not a doctor, but I did have an incorrect diagnosis on my medical record. I was applying for life insurance so a big impact on the rate I would be offered. I had to get the original tests and go to an independent physician and have him review the results and write a letter stating the initial diagnosis was incorrect. He sent the letter to my primary physician who finally agreed to remove the diagnosis from my record. Bottom line, a big hassle.

In OP case, go to your primary doctor and explain the incorrect information. See if the doctor will remove. I can send a message directly to my physician from their online portal. He gets back to me within 24 hours. I wouldn’t talk to any staff, talk to your doctor directly, they are the one who can make the change.
Thanks for your input. What a process! Thankfully, I have enough time (about 6 weeks) before I need the report, so there's ample time to get it fixed if I'm persistent.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Like anything else in life the best customer service happens when done in person.

Make an appointment and discuss it in person. Just because you call and ask to change it doesn't mean the will without some follow up questions or clsrification. A medical note is a medicoLEGAL document.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:45 pm

It would actually be inappropriate and probably illegal for someone to change the medical record because a receptionist handed a message from a patient to them. At minimum, you need to speak by phone to the person who can add an Edit to the record. If it is important enough, you may need to go in person. On the other hand, if your only concern is the information the new doctor is receiving directly from you, I would not be overly stressed out about getting the original record changed in time. You can tell the new doctor about the issue yourself.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

If it matters, then discuss it at the next visit and the doc can do an addendum if she agrees with you. If it doesn't matter, then drop it. Most medical reports are inaccurate in these days of dictation. As long as it can be determined from the rest of the report what happened if it ever became a legal issue, I wouldn't worry about it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:45 pm
It would actually be inappropriate and probably illegal for someone to change the medical record because a receptionist handed a message from a patient to them. At minimum, you need to speak by phone to the person who can add an Edit to the record. If it is important enough, you may need to go in person. On the other hand, if your only concern is the information the new doctor is receiving directly from you, I would not be overly stressed out about getting the original record changed in time. You can tell the new doctor about the issue yourself.
Absolutely agree with you. I didn't expect anything to change based simply on my request. I was told two weeks ago someone would get back to me, which I did expect.

I plan to drive to the office this week. Hopefully my physical presence in the office will grant me an audience with the technician. I've known the out-of-state doctor and been a patient for 11 years so explaining it there won't be an issue, but an incorrect report would then be part of a second doctor's database.

The future concerns include doctors perceiving me as a problem patient for allegedly stopping a test and an insurance weighing payment and/or approval for further testing based on allegedly stopping a test. I didn't stop the test! It really does need to be corrected.

afan

Post by afan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm

With your, appropriate, limited information, it is hard to know who generated the report, or who can change it. If the report was not created by your doctor, then your doctor cannot change it. Your doctor however should understand the system better than you do and be able to bring the inaccuracy to the attention of the proper person.

Of course, depending on what it says, it is possible that sometimes a statement that is a surprise to a patient is entirely correct. Also, sometimes the statement is phrased in medical lingo and the patient thinks it means something different from their understanding, when in effect it is two ways of saying the same thing.

Doctors deal with this all the time. If it is important that the incorrect information is in your record for a short time, then call the doctor's office and follow up with your documentation of the inaccuracy, by email or on paper. If it is not that important if it takes a while to fix it, then I would resort to email to the doctor or the doctor's assistant.

A few weeks ago my health insurance company decided to change my birthdate. This lead to some comical conversations "I am very sure when my birthday is and it has not changed, no matter what your records may say"
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm

ji.isaacs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Absolutely agree with you. I didn't expect anything to change based simply on my request. I was told two weeks ago someone would get back to me, which I did expect.

I plan to drive to the office this week. Hopefully my physical presence in the office will grant me an audience with the technician. I've known the out-of-state doctor and been a patient for 11 years so explaining it there won't be an issue, but an incorrect report would then be part of a second doctor's database.

The future concerns include doctors perceiving me as a problem patient for allegedly stopping a test and an insurance weighing payment and/or approval for further testing based on allegedly stopping a test. I didn't stop the test! It really does need to be corrected.
I can almost guarantee that no reasonable physician will make a judgement about you as a patient based off of this single test and I can definitely guarantee an insurance company does not give a crap about you terminating it early. They don't read reports--they issue blanket denials for anything that doesn't fall in to strict parameters and force the physician to appeal it.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Sometimes quite a bit of persistence is required to get a medical record corrected. I had incorrect listing of my medications for over a year despite asking in person at each visit of both the clerical staff and medical assistant that it be corrected and giving a corrected list of the Rx to the office staff and Med asst each time. After 3 visits, I escalated it to the MD, asking him what needed to happen for the records to be accurate on my medications and it was finally corrected.

Electronic medical records include a lot of cutting and pasting and often there are errors from that process. :(

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 pm

I get copies of my medical reports and squirrel them away with test results. I saw one that was like, which patient is this about? I let my internist know how it was riddled with errors, so it wouldn't affect her decisions.

An unfortunate side effect of this is I've been asked several times to let my data be accessed by a hospital's research project, and while I would like to help, I've said no because I don't want to contaminate their data with this nonsense.'

Also my state would like people to let their data be merged in a statewide database for physicians, and I've said no for the same reason.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm
Sometimes quite a bit of persistence is required to get a medical record corrected. I had incorrect listing of my medications for over a year despite asking in person at each visit of both the clerical staff and medical assistant that it be corrected and giving a corrected list of the Rx to the office staff and Med asst each time.
I've given up on this. I have never seen a correct list of medications including correct doses at any doctor's office even when I've brought in a written correct list the time before.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 pm

I try to have the Rx list correct as to names if Rx, strengths and dosing so that it is as accurate as possible. I just like medical records to be correct, including info about allergies and adverse events.

My Rx list is currently correct in at least 1 database, the one my internist and lung specialist use. That works for me!

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm
ji.isaacs wrote:

You are not "weird" at all. Reviewing all of your medical reports and documents is the smart thing to do. I recently had a test situation where the technician somehow incorporated parts of another patient's data into my report, thereby making it seem like I had a medical condition which I do not have! :oops:
Illegitimi non carborundum.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 pm

ji.isaacs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm
chessknt wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm
It's really hard to describe any type of problem without getting too deep into details. It is impossible to determine what effect the error may have in the future but I believe it could affect patient care. The report specifically states I stopped the procedure, which isn't true. The procedure was completed and the balance of the report seems to bear that out. It almost seems like a cut and paste type error, or it was dictated on the wrong patient. I'm not disputing the medical part of the report- how can I? I'm the patient and I'm not qualified to second guess the interpretation of the test. But I do know I absolutely did not stop the test.
I doubt anyone here can help without more details. I have seen multiple instances where a test was stopped because the patient couldn't tolerate it. I can see how this could be notated as "the patient" stopped the test. I'm not sure why this detail would matter though.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm

I could see "stopping the procedure" might be as simple as "asking a question" that causes the other party to pause to think for a moment.
Or maybe "answering your phone" instead of holding still for a minute.
Or "sneezing" and they had to back away.

It all depends on what the report author meant it to be.

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

I had my left knee replaced and afterwards, they took an x-ray. Looking at the x-ray and the radiologist report, I (and only me) noticed that it was referring to my right knee. During pre-op, the surgeon drew a cut line on my left knee with magic marker, I had to sign my knee. The x-ray had a big letter "L" (left) to keep things straight. They were not allowed to fix the report but did write an addendum stating it was indeed my left. :D

DrDubious

Post by DrDubious » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 pm

OP, if this was a treadmill stress test, I would not worry at all about the report saying you stopped the test. Language about how the treadmill came to a conclusion is boilerplate stuff, and if this issue is just the difference between the report saying you stopped the test and the technician stopping the test because you were obviously fatigued, it is of absolutely no significance and not worth wasting your time and energy over.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm

I agree that this might be a misinterpretation of common terminology that seems odd to a patient but not to health care professionals even though perhaps it should. For instance, you might have "stopped" a treadmill test because the technician told you the time was up!

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate your input.

Due to the time it would involve for a drive, plus tolls, plus gas, I got lazy and decided to call the office one more time. This time I asked to speak to a medical person with authority to change the report. A short time later I received a call back.

I believe, in addition to the statement not being true, it was a cut and paste error. The office agreed and told me this was not the first time it's happened and they are aware of the problem. I really didn't need to explain anything - the office immediately said the incorrect statement would be removed and I would receive a copy of the reissued report. It seems probable there is a problem with the software.

While this particular problem wasn't earth-shattering, who is to say there is no probability for a really serious error.

I think the take-away from this is to always review copies of medical records.

I'm in the long time habit of securing copies of reports because years ago two medical reports with abnormal results were simply filed away in with no followup. (Not at this doctor's office) The condition ignored in those two reports ended up diagnosed as a life threatening condition which demanded immediate treatment. I'm fortunate to be alive.

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am

meebers wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm
I had my left knee replaced and afterwards, they took an x-ray. Looking at the x-ray and the radiologist report, I (and only me) noticed that it was referring to my right knee. During pre-op, the surgeon drew a cut line on my left knee with magic marker, I had to sign my knee. The x-ray had a big letter "L" (left) to keep things straight. They were not allowed to fix the report but did write an addendum stating it was indeed my left. :D
An error like that should be corrected. Good you spotted it. A few years ago a patient in my state had the wrong limb amputated due to a careless error of marking the wrong leg. Additionally, there have been articles about neurosurgery performed on the wrong patient!

I've notice a general diminishment of focus across all areas, medical, financial, administration. It's more serious in medical and financial, but careless errors are rife everywhere. The kind of errors that would have resulted in firings years ago are now treated casually.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 am

Send a letter with the correction you would like to make, have it entered into your record and a letter sent to you indicating that has occurred. You are also allowed to read your own file which would then have an entry validating that had occurred and including any changes or requested changes you had made. Admittedly, this is something that would take quite a bit of time and effort on your part, but it would be worth it if you have determined that making the change is important. When requests were made in my office to review a file, I asked about the reason for the request and was often able to answer the question in that manner. If the patient persisted, their right, I reviewed the file with them personally at no charge to the patient. It seemed that was a reasonable approach since it occurred infrequently, met the need of the patient and was, frankly, also a way to minimize the possibility of a formal complaint being filed.

Tim

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am

ji.isaacs wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am
meebers wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm
An error like that should be corrected. Good you spotted it. A few years ago a patient in my state had the wrong limb amputated due to a careless error of marking the wrong leg. Additionally, there have been articles about neurosurgery performed on the wrong patient!
I've notice a general diminishment of focus across all areas, medical, financial, administration. It's more serious in medical and financial, but careless errors are rife everywhere. The kind of errors that would have resulted in firings years ago are now treated casually.
Wow - Having had 4 or 5 surgeries (including one last week), stories like this are "scary". Fortunately, in every case of my surgeries - at every step of the process - the nice medical folks always ask "Why are you here?". Last week, right before my outptient surgery, the surgeon came in to the prep area, spoke with me briefly and put her initials (magic marker) on the correct area of the surgery. :happy