Yet another whole life insurance question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Sirimboi

Yet another whole life insurance question

Post by Sirimboi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 pm

I know that Whole life is a horrible investment but my employer is offering another tax sheltered option which I am now considering.
Of note, we are already maxing out 403b (with match), 457(no match), backdoor roth, 529s. Not eligible for HSA.
My job offers a Capital Accumulation Plan which underwrites a whole life insurance through John Hancock insurance funds. The kicker is that my employer is matching 50% of my contribution. 7 years vesting period (but I do plan to stay here for life – another 25 years). Based on income, I can contribute up to $40,000 a year, post tax. Money grows tax free.
I am torn between this and just funding a taxable account.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

JoeRetire

Re: Yet another whole life insurance question

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 pm

If you need insurance, buy insurance.

If you need investments, invest.

David Jay

Re: Yet another whole life insurance question

Post by David Jay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm

If you have done any searches here on BH you have probably seen some of my negative comments. However, it is hard to walk away from a 50% match. If I expected to leave within 10 years I would likely participate. My issue would be the low returns that I would have to accept for 25 years.

I would say: do a spreadsheet to see the impact of 25 years of compounding and see if the 50% match overcomes the lost gains.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius